Let’s Go to India!

Hi Students!

Since you are currently learning all about ancient India, I thought it would be fun for you to take a virtual field trip to present day India via Project Explorer. (Image courtesy of projectexplorer.org)

1. I would like for you to watch the video “The British in India” and read the text below clicking on the links for more in-depth information.

2. On the right-hand side of the page, watch the videos ” A Taste of Mumbai” and “The Art of Henna” and read the texts and click on the links under each respective video for more information on those topics.

3. After the Henna video, you can watch the video on “The Sari.”

When you have completed all this, write to this prompt:

Reflect on what you have learned from your short trip and include the following:

History of India

And some personal thoughts (Have you been to India? Want to go? Have you had Henna done? Eaten Indian food? Anything else?)

Create your paragraphs where you see fit…watch your sentence structure!

Click on this link to access the site.

1. The history of India is very interesting to the food and culture there is so much to lean and do. India first gained its independence on August 15 1947. The most historic thing is the Gateway of india. It first opened in December of 1924. Its on the shore of the Arabian Sea. The architecture bloomed and the Victoria train station named after the notorious Queen Victoria. The train station has 18 platforms in all 6 local ones and 12 for long distances. Close to the train station is a market that locals and tourists love. They get there produce from there and spices.

Henna is a beautiful art that is made from a tree and its leaves. The tree is grounded into a fine powder and mixed with lemon juice to create a paste that like tooth paste. Then it’s applied with a technic called Mendi. They create articulate designs such as flowers and lines. How the henna seeps into the pores in your skin and dyes it a color called Lawsone. Henna can also be used as a hair dye to dye the hair a redish brownish color.

The food is also a big part of Indian culture the most popular snack is called Pani-Puri. Pani-Puri is a small slice of bread filled with chick peas and mashed potatoes then its dipped in spicy favored water. To wash down the Pani-Puri you should get Falooda. Falooda is a sweet cold drink thats made with rose syrup and basil leaves seeds and tapioca pearls. I want to try that one day.

I want to go to India one day because I want to see the different types of culture and animals. I want to try the Indian food that I learned about because it made me so hungry watching them make it. Also I want to get Henna there, I have gotten a Henna before but it wasn’t traditional Henna

2. When watch and reading about India I learned a lot. I was interested in how the train station was named after Queen Victoria. However in the 1600s Queen Elizabeth gave the Royal Charter to British East India Company. Later the British East India Company got power and took India. In 1857 came the Indian Rebellion on of 1857. The British government canceled the British East India Company and the got a new rule for India.

That is what I learned. When learning about Mumbai I learned that it wouldn’t be great with out its foods. Mumbai is known for its food vendors. I learned that 5,000 deliveries people deliver food to 200,000,00 people. These people deliver up to 30 miles. That is what I learned about Mumbai.

I learned that Henna has beautiful art. Mehndi is a tradition they do in Henna. Mehndi is natural drawer on your skin. They use natural plant based paste. Some times it is use for wedding a special times. That is what I learned about Henna.
    When learning about this I would definitely want to go to India

3. It was very interesting learning about India. The history of India was very interesting too.
    The British tried to come and control now known as India’s land. They sent people on expeditions to try to claim and find valuable triad routes. In 1600 Queen Elizabeth was successful with getting trade routes in Indias territory.

Mumbai has a lot of amazing food and it has a train station here was called Victoria, it is very well recognized. They also have a peer that is called the gateway of India. It is basically a trade area. Boats can bring trade on boats to the peer.

Henna is basically like a tattoo that stays on for a few weeks. Henna is a past that they make and can put on you skin. Henna is part of the India culture and was originated in India.
    Henna turns more black the longer you wear it.

I really want to go to India from learning all this amazing stuff. It sounds amazing. I have seen girls do Henna for fun in my country. It looks very artistic up close.

4. In 1757 Britain gained power over India. However The first Royal visit was by British rulers Queen Elizabeth I and king George V In 1911. In 1920 a memorial started its construction to remember the presence of the king and queen. In 1924 the gateway of India opened to the public. In 1947 Britain lost its control over India and gained its independence.
    Mumbai is a main city in India and was the city that the king and queen first arrived to. The main highlight in Mumbai is the marketplace A.K.A. Crawford market. It sells specialty foods, imported goods and other foods. Another highlight is the train station named Victoria terminus. In 1878 the construction started on the station and a decade later it was in use. It has eighteen platforms. Six for local trains and twelve for long distance.
    I have never been to India and maybe when the smog clears up I will go. I have never seen henna before but I know it’s like a tattoo and I see them all the time. I also love Indian food because it is so spicy. I love the flavorful taste to it to.

5. There is a lot of history on India it was even controlled by Europe (Britain). When it was 1600 Queen Elizabeth granted trade relations in India. She created a trade company called the British East India Company. The company over took Portugal, Dutch and France trading interests. In 1800 the company had goods such as tea, silk, cotton and different spices. Sepoys were then used to revolt against the British and establish its own rule on India.

Mumbai is a a lot of the old and new India everywhere you are. Mumbai is one of India largest city’s and has one of the biggest populations in the world. Mumbai is known for their classic Indian food made with lots of spices. In Mumbai they created a food system called dabbawala where bikers go around delivering peoples lunch foods. Everywhere the city is buzzing but has a lot of rich food and history!

A henna is also known as mehndi which is a traditional body art in India. It is used from paste made out of dried leaves from a sub tropical tree then mixed with lemon juice. The mehndi is put on for passage of childhood to adulthood and for brides and sometimes grooms. At weddings is very traditional for the mehndi to symbolize a new life and lasting love and knowledge.

I have never been to India but I would definitely want to go to experience all the amazing things that are there. I have had a henna done and it stayed on for a long time and it was so amazing. I have had India food before and it was so good I loved all the spices and flavors that was in it. I thought learning about India was very interesting to find out about the history and traditional things that are in India!

6. India sounds like a fun place to go to, I’ve never been to India but I have been to UK. Most of my family on my mom side of the family they are all British. When I am older I want to go to India to explore. When ever we go to the Saturday morning market I get henna, but I’ve not been to the Saturday day mornings market in a while. I have ate Indian food before. I eat chicken and curry all the time I love chicken and curry. India sounds like a fun place, the food looks amazing in the video.
    Nearly 5,000 years, India’s history is a diverse mix of cultures, religions, languages, and experiences.The gate way sound like a pretty fun and interesting place. Learned that the gateway of India open in 1869 in Mumbai. This area has been important for many years. In 1911, king George 5 and queen Mary visited Mumbai , they were the British monarchs to visit India (4,000 written history). Most of the places in Mumbai are now named after Indians. In 1878 architecture and Indian craftsman did major work on a railway station. In 1947 the Indians finally got there freedom.
    Henna is made out of tree, the leaves are crushed then marked it in to a powder mixed with lemon juice and make sure the consistency of toothpaste then put it on you. Henna is normally red and orange.
    One of the drinks tasted like flowers because it was made out of rosewater and crushed flowers. One of the meals tasted like chili and had bread on the side with vegetable. The other one I had the flavors of salty ,spicy ,sweet ,tart ,and ect.

7. There is quit a lot of history in India. For example, As watching and learning about India, I learned that there is history about food, about kings and queens, and about art. the British people also came to India and the first people to arrive there. King George and Queen Mary, started the agriculture and construction in Mumbai, India. The British also also added some rail roads, a train station, and a market place. The marketplace became a big place for trading too. People would bring things in to trade and take things out.
    In Mumbai, there are a lot of great foods! A very popular food in India is called Poni Puri. It’s so good because it starts of with a piece of bread known as the Puri. It gets turned into a sized snack food. It’s then filled with peas, mashed potatoes, and then dipped into a sauce that’s like a water. It’s got to be eat quickly because the flavored spicy water eats away the bread. Another famous food to drink is the Falioda. The Falooda is a drink made with ice cream and milk. Some tapioca pearls, seeds, and rose syrup also goes in it. This drink is also popular in different parts of Asia. Pou Vagi Is a fast food dish. This is made with tomato’s, peppers, and carrots. The pou is the word for the warm bread.
    Henna is an amazing type of art in Mumbai. To do it, you use Mendi. Mendi is usually for ceremonies, festivals, and parades. The Mendi is basically small crushed tree Leaves made into a powder mixed with lemon juice and applied to the skin. It’s like a tattoo body art. Egyptians also used Henna to protect them self’s from the hot desert sun. Mendi is a reddish orange dye that dyes the skin making the tattoo stay on but not permanently. If I was going on a field trip to this place, I would love to do all these things!
    I’ve never been to India, but I would love to get Henna done to me because, it’s so pretty and cool! I would have loved to eat the Poni Puri beacause of how yummy it looks. I would also loved to have biked the streets of India seeing all the cool sites and landmarks.

8. During the Age of Exploration Europe’s royal powers had expeditions across the whole world searching for trade routes and valuable territory. Queen Elizabeth ended up establishing trade relations in India. The British East India Company was the major power in India. They made their own military to help establish control over India. Then the Indians fought against the British East Company. This became known as the Indian Rebellion of 1857.

One of the Indian foods in the video was a little bite sized Pani Puri. A Pani Puri is a round ball of dough that is fried and filled with different things. You are supposed to eat them right away to get the full flavor. Another Indian food is Falooda. Falooda is made by mixing rose syrup with noodles, seeds, and tapioca. Then you mix in milk or ice cream. Falooda is a very favorited desert in India. The next dish is Pav Bhaji. The Pav is the bread and the Bhaji is the vegetables. The vegetables in it are peppers, onions, potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes.the Pav bread is warm and fried in butter.

Mehndi is a body art that uses natural, plant based paste Called henna. To make henna paste they grind leaves of a tropical tree and mix it with lemon juice. The longer the henna is exposed to oxygen, the darker it gets. Sometimes people get henna to symbolize a passage through life, or getting married.

9. In 1911 king George and Queen Victoria came to visit Mumbai. In 1920, they were at the beginning of building a structure to commemorate them. In 1924, the gateway of India was officially opened. British rule in India began in 1757 and lasted until 1947. The British added Mumbai’s first Railway, train station, and market place. The market was finished in 1869 and was the place to go for goods. The train station has 18 plat forms. It has 265 miles of tracks and has 74.2 million people riding it every DAY. On August 14, 1947, British rule ended and India gained their independence again!

Henna is a beautiful art people put on their body like a contemporary tattoo. Brides and grooms sometimes have henna done before their wedding! Henna is made from crushed henna leaves mixed with lemon juice to create a thick tooth paste like consistency. Henna has been used as body art and hair dye for over 5,000 years! But some people believe that henna was used as a way to keep cool in the deserts of Africa,India, and the Middle East. The henna dye dyes the skin by seeping down into the pores. Then, the henna dye creates a bond with the carotin in the skin. Then when the skin flakes off, the henna flakes off with it removing it slowly.

Paani puri is a bite sized snack food that’s made with fried unleavened bread called puri. Then, the puri is filled with chick peas and mash potatoes, then dipped in the flavored water. It must be made to order and eaten IMMEDIATELY or else the spicy water quickly disintegrates the fragile puri shell. Paani puri is a combination of sweet, sour, and savory. This is Mumbai’s favorite snack! A dessert that Mumbai loves is the faluta. Faluta is a drink made with rose syrup, remichelli noodles, Basel seeds, and tapioca pearls. Then, it’s mixed with milk or ice cream.

10. In 1757-1947 the British took over India. They had a huge impact on Indias’s culture. The Gateway of India is a remembrance of the first royal visit. In 1911 King George and Queen Mary visited Mumbai. In 1924 the Gateway was completely done. They also build the Victoria Train Station. It goes all over India. Today it is an attraction that people from all over would want to see.
    Henna is s plant that is mixed with lemon juice to create paint. It is an art of body painting. Henna that is applied to the skin. It’s a tradition in India to use Henna for special occasions. Henna designs can come in many shapes and colors. Over time it will slowly flake off on it’s own.
    This assignment has inspired me to learn more about India’s culture. I decided to visit India one day. I want to experience all the things we’ve been learning about.

11. Today I learn about India. In the text you are about to read tells you about the history, culture, and the food in India
    One of the most important places in India is the Gateway Of India. The Gateway Of India is located on the Arabia Sea. In 1911 King George and Queen Marry visited India arriving right were the Gateway Of India is now. King George and Queen Marry were the first British monarchs to visit India. Construction on the Gateway Of India started in 1920 and lasted until 1924. Another important place in India is Crawford Market. Crawford Market was made for the British to trade goods with India but now it is a huge gathering place for tourists and towns people.
    Crawford Market is a market were people can buy goods and food.
    Panu puir is a popular bite size food in India. Panu puir is made of fried bread know as puir. Then the bread is filled with peas and mashed potatoes. Finally the bread is dipped in the pani. Pani puir has to be eaten quickly or else the pani makes the bread disintegrate.
    Phluta is a sweet beverage that is made by mixing rose syrup with rum and jelly with ice cream.
    Henna is a small tree. They take the leaves from the henna tree then the dry the leves, crush the leaves, and the they get put into a liquid just like toothpaste. Henna can be applied on the skin. I think India is awesome I would love tho travel there. Bye!