Boatlift – An Untold Tale of 9/11 Resilience

“He who saves just one life, saves the world entire.” (From the Talmud)

Students,
Using the documentary as a starting point, please respond to the following prompts:

What makes a hero? Simply put, how would you define the word hero?
Are heroes born or made?
What are some common attributes that you associate with heroes?
Can anyone be a hero?
Please tell about a point in the story that moved you in some way. Be specific.

Do you believe that one person can make an impact on the world?
Do you believe that a single person can change the course of history?

Taking all of these questions into account, please tell us who is a hero to you. (No family member or friend)

Two well-crafted paragraphs

“I am not a hero.”
Miep Gies died in 2010 at the age of 100. She and her husband hid Anne Frank and her family in the secret annex in Amsterdam to avoid German persecution during the Holocaust. This is an excerpt from an interview Miep Gies did.

TERI SCHULTZ: Miep Gies said she did not like being called a hero. Yet, she risked her life many times over to help the Frank family during the two years they hid from the Nazis in a secret annex built into the Trading Company office in Amsterdam where she’d worked for Otto Frank almost a decade.

Providing refuge to Jews, she noted later, carried a punishment of at least six months in a concentration camp. Still, the Austrian-born Dutch woman, knighted by the governments of Germany and the Netherlands, recipient of a medal from Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum, always insisted she had done nothing extraordinary.

Ms. MIEP GIES: I, myself, I’m just a very common person. I simply had no choice. I could foresee many, many sleepless nights and a life filled with regret if I would have refused to help the Franks. And this was not the kind of life I was looking for at all.

SCHULTZ: Gies explained another motivation for emphasizing her modesty. She said if people are allowed to think it takes remarkable qualities to act boldly on behalf of others, few will attempt it.

Ms. GIES: People should never think that you have to be a very special person to help those who need you.

1. A hero has to be selfless, help people even if you don’t take credit or people if people will diclude or hate. They are made no one has been a hero there whole lives you be a hero when needed and are made one. The part that moved me was that one person came out of his way even if it was a small help he still did it.
    A hero can be anyone from the greedy man disiding to make a change or just a kid. The most comes hero is someone coming from nothing to coming out of there way to making a change. Anyone can change the corse of history but in a good way is a lot harder. A hero to me is Martin Luther king and every person who came out of there way to help, even if it wasn’t for them.

2. I think that a hero is someone puts their life at risk to help or save others. They want to do the right thing even if there might be consequences. Heroes are not really born or made but they are very selfless. I think that anyone can be a hero because no matter how good of a person you are, and no matter how many bad things you’ve done, you can always change your actions and do the right thing when it really matters. I don’t think that one person can make an impact on the entire world. For example, Abraham Lincoln made slaves illegal in all of the United States, but that doesn’t mean that he changed the world because there are still slaves today in other countries. A single person can change the course of history because the USA used to be a country ruled by Great Britain, and because George Washington got all of the Americans together, they where able to liberate America and make it a democracy which it still is today. Martin Luther King Jr. is one of my heroes. He saw that African-Americans where being treated unfairly. Instead of just standing by and allowing this to continue, he took a stand for what was right. Martin Luther knew that a lot of people did not agree with him, and that is why he was killed. Although he died, he changed the course of history, and there was almost never segregation in America again.

1. The part that moved me was when everyone that was being rescued where helping each other into the boats which is really cool because they could have just helped themselves because everyone was so scared and worried, but instead, they thought of each other.

3. Heroes come on many different forms, but this is what I think makes a hero. What makes a hero is someone that sometimes puts their own life at risk for other people’s well being. The way I would define hero is someone that does a heroic deed not for their own self but for other people. In my opinion people aren’t born heroes or made into heroes. In my opinion heroes are created at a moment when they do something that is considered heroic. So heroes aren’t really born or made but a hero comes out from one’s self when they need to do something that they think is the right thing to do but in other people’s eyes is heroic. Some common attributes that can be associated with a hero are mainly someone who is kind hearted and courages because sometimes in order to be a hero you need to have a kind heart and courage to put your own life at risk for others. Honestly anyone can be a hero because everyone mean or nice always knows when to do something that they think is right. A point in the documentary that moved me was when the coast guard needed more boats to come to Manhattan and help evacuate the people there. So the coast guard sent out an alert on the radio to ask if people could please come and help and what happened was hundreds of boats showed up. This moved me because it really shows how anyone could be a hero even to people that they themselves find to be strangers. Honestly I strongly believe that one person can make an impact on the world. This is believed by me because anyone that believes strongly in one thing if they try hard enough to make an impact they can. I also believe that one person can change the course of history. I think this because once again if anyone tries hard enough and believes that they can make a difference in history they can.

A person that is a hero to me is Gandhi, I believe for him to be a hero because be was like anyone else in India but he believed strongly in his own independence and others independence that he was able to make a change in the world. Gandhi really did show that anyone can be a hero and that if you believe greatly in something and you have the dedication to change the course of history of even the world that you can. This is why I found Gandhi to be my hero. He is my hero for his examples of kindness and courage.

4. A hero is someone who doesn’t just care about themselves. A hero is someone who will do whatever they can to help other people. Just like the men on the boats taking as many people as their boats will fit with them. Anyone can be a hero just by helping other people. You don’t need a costume or a movie or a mask to be a hero. just start by helping the people around you and being selfless, caring, and helpful. Heroes aren’t born. They are made. To make a hero they have to have something worth fighting for. You can’t just decide you want to be a hero. It happens with selfless acts of kindness and protecting ones you love. In the 9/11 Boatlift story what really moved me was when the Coast Guard called in any available boats to come help and a load of tug boats came in. People coming together and helping each other is heroic. Every one of those captains and people are unrecognized heroes.

I do believe one person can make an impact in the world. Look at how far our technology has come. That started with one person who had an idea. That’s just how our world works. Anyone can change the course of history if they put their mind to it. Rosa Parks changed history and all she did was stand up for herself and her rights. To me a hero is a doctor. Doctors of any kind keep us healthy and fix us up when we’ve broken bones, needed stitches, or had the flu. They are helping people who don’t have the ability to help themselves.

5. A hero to me is someone who risked their lives or helps someone in a big way. Or a small way, to be a hero you don’t have to do anything huge or have powers. You can do something small that made a big difference on someone’s life. Heroes to me are made to me because something has to inspire you or just a feeling that you have never had before and you feel like you have to just do something. To you it might not feel heroic but in another persons eyes you are their hero. Heroes don’t think about what they should do they just do what they need to to help someone else. They don’t care what happens to them they care what happens to the other people. I think anyone can be a hero they just have to put their mind to it, like the guy who got people and gathered them on his boat. He had not done anything like it until that day 11th September 2001. It was very inspiring when the citizens where helping other people who needed help, like four business men carried and elderly woman and her dog onto one of the boats. Its like everyone of Manhattan was a hero.
    I believe that anyone can be a hero and change the course of history because it just takes some encouragement and caring about other people. If someone wants to change something they can speak up and say it if they want to. I think that MLK Junior is a hero because he made a big difference in a lot of peoples lives, because he made it possible for different people to become friends and family.

6. A hero is some who would risk their life for someone else’s. Someone who is selfless. Heroes are born, not made. They might be born courageous but they weren’t made in a lab. Heroes are brave, smart, selfless, and courageous. Anyone can be a hero. You don’t have to have powers to help someone in need. The point in the story that moved me was when all people who had boats came together to help the people of Manhattan on the 9/11 attack. I believe one person can have an impact on the world. If someone does something heroic, the news will spread and someone else might want to do it. I don’t think just one person can change history. It would take a lot of people doing the same thing over an over again for it to change history.

My hero is Kyrie Irving. He has inspired my to keep pushing myself to train harder and harder so I can get better at basketball. Now I’m running harder so my body is used to doing harder work. I also practice good habits during shooting and ball handling. I do more push-ups so I can get stronger and better at finishing shots with contact.

7. I think that a hero is defined by the deeds that you do and how you react to certain situations. I would define the word hero as someone who helps and assists others when they are in great need of it, even if you have to go out of your way to do so. I think that heroes can be made or inspired at anytime of there lives, not just born into it. Some common attributes that come with the role of being a “hero” are sympathy, understanding and passion because a hero needs to sympathetic so they feel what others are feeling, you need to be able to understand other people’s thoughts, and finally you need to feel passionate for helping other people. A point in the story of the Boat Lift that moved me was when the Coast Guard gave one announcement and so many boats came to help the people stuck on the island.

I believe that one person can make an impact on the world if they put their mind to it and feel passionate about it because if you believe that you can do it, than you will achieve it and I feel the same way about the course of history. A hero to me is Martin Luther King Jr. He is a hero to me because he had protested and fought for equal rights, and no matter what obstacles he might have to go through, he still fought, and I think that is what matters to be a hero.

8. A hero is all about saving people, healing them, and love. Heroes are born with a good heart and when I think of a hero, I think of a person risking their live to save other life’s. I think heroes are born because they save people’s lives not just in movies but also in real life. I don’t think anyone could be a hero but if you can’t see anyone suffer and you need to help, that proofs your a hero. Maybe saving a person is giving them food. I would still consider that being a hero. In the video “The Boat Life” I just couldn’t believe that in fifteen to twenty minutes so many boats came and the got a ton of people on the boats in less than nine hours. Those are real heroes.

I believe that one person can make a difference if they try. They are probably going to need help but if they are motivated to help save someone’s life, it can be done. If that’s done then it will change the corse of history. Marten Luther King Jr is a hero because he change the way black people were treated and he stopped all the violence between them. He made it were black and white people can be in the same school as get treated the same. I think that is a real hero because look at us now. We are all together, he changed history. That’s why Marten Luther King Jr is a hero.

9. To be a hero you don’t need to fly around saving lives. A hero to me is someone who puts forth all effort to do the right thing. Someone like this should life with no regrets, and never ask themselves why they didn’t do something. If I were to define a hero I would say it’s someone who never gives up on doing the right thing. I believe that heroes are made once they complete many selfless acts to prove that they care for the well being of others. All heroes must be selfless, they should always be thinking about others. Another common attribute is all heroes should be generous. I believe anyone can be a hero. Everyone has all the characteristics and motivation to use all effort to help or even save others. The point in the story that moved me the most was when the coast guard made a call alerting everyone in the area to come help. The video explained that hundreds of boats came. 500,000 people were taken across the river. They risked their lives doing this and that makes them all heroes.

I believe that one person can make an impact the world. Lots of people have already proven this. Basically every president, Martin Luther king, and many more. I do believe that a single person could change the course of the universe. For example Abe Lincoln helped the world gain equal rights. All you have to do is step up and change something that you think is wrong. To me, Martin Luther king, is a hero. That’s how most people think of him. He realized, like many other African Americans that he needed to change something. He stepped up, risked his life, and made a change. He was later shot and killed but he didn’t die for nothing. Overall everybody can be a hero they just need to try.

10. A hero is made by the choices they make for the world. They are made by knowing that they have to help, even if it’s risking their life. I would define hero as deciding to do something that is needed to help one person even if it ends up hurting you. Heroes are made by seeing people suffer and doing something about it, not sitting back and saying, “I’m glad I’m not them.” They are made by taking action to save people’s lives, even if it’s only one, it’s one less person that will suffer because you did something about it. A common attributes to a hero are to are to be patient even if your doing something good to not your favorite person, you still need to know that your doing the right thing even if you think that they might be annoying. Anybody can be a hero because you might not be the most athletic person or the nicest person but you can always be a hero because you can save someone in many, many different ways.

One point in the story that moved me is when the captions were all called on the radio at once and only one time, it took only that to get all the boats to come in and rescue everyone. No matter who they where and what they had done they rescued them. People came in from everywhere and would pick up people at the sea wall screaming for help. Even though no one knew what was happening people knew that they had to rescue them because they were in a very scary situation.

I believe that one person can make an impact on the world because if you start off with an idea and tell people about it, then you can get your idea started. People can help you achieve your dream and become a hero just because of an idea. A single person can change the course of history by working and working again. When they achieve it, it can be presented into the world and the world can use your invention. A hero to me would be Albert Einstein because no one believed in him but he kept trying and trying again and then he invented all sorts of things we use everyday. He might of not saved lives physically be putting them on boats, but he did save lives by inventing mainly the lightbulb. It helps us see brighter and easier and so in a way Albert Einstein was a hero.

11. A hero is someone who risks something to help someone else. He/she isn’t made to do anything, they jut do because they feel it is the right thing to do. Heroes are never born a hero. They are always made into or transformed into one. Heroes are made by doing a heroic action or doing something that requires bravery and love to others. A few common attributes that I would say that describe a hero would be brave, hopeful, loving, and happy; because once you have done your deed, you definitely would be. Yes, of course anyone can be a hero! Even if you have done something bad, you would have to do something very very good to make up for it but sure! And then there is just the common average joe who can become the greatest hero ever by doing one big heroic deed.

One specific moment in the story that really moved me was when the man was telling about his moment of “I can’t just sit here and watch all these people suffering.” And even when his wife was telling him he was a crazy maniac he still went because he couldn’t stand to watch people suffer and not do anything. This moved me because that told me “this is a hero. This is what the world needs more of.”

Yes, I believe that one person can make an impact on the world. Anyone can! If you put your heart to something small, that could end up being huge! And yes, anyone can change the course of history just by sitting where they are told not to, or marching along the streets. Or like Miep Gies did, and shelter someone.

Someone who is a hero to me is someone I sort of mentioned in the last paragraph. Her name is Rosa Parks. She sat on the bus seat that was for white people only. She was brace and did that, knowing she would get kicked of and probably punished, she did it anyway. She did it to show that everyone is equal, everyone is human, and everyone should be treated the same. I feel the same way, so that is why she is a hero to me.

12. A hero is someone who makes a difference in the world, who does a selfless deed for others. A hero can be planting a garden, or saving someone’s life. I think you can’t define heroes because heroes are all around us doing selfless deeds for others. But the word HERO, that means doing the right thing and doing something that will either help the world or other people. Heroes are never born, you can’t even learn how to be a hero. You are never prepared to be a hero. When something happens like the Boat Lift nobody was prepared for that. They just did it because they knew it was the right thing to do.

My favorite part was when that one radio call sent a whole fleet of boats to Lower Manhattan. I liked this because it proved that one person can make a difference if people keep doing the right thing and being HEROIC than everyone can make a difference. Yes, I do believe that one person can make an impact on the world because that one radio call started it all. That one radio call helped a lot of people, approximately 500,000 people. Yes, I also believe that a single person can change the course of history because anyone can make a difference in the world, as long as they decided that they want to change the world for the good of the people, then they are considered a hero. For example, when someone cures cancer everyone will think she/he is a hero. But that person didn’t start out curing cancer, that person had to decide what can I do to make the world a better place?

I think that Dr. Seuss is a hero. I think this because Dr. Seuss used his talent and imagination to help people laugh and have joy in their lives. Dr. Seuss made these books that people thought were so clever and out of the box that not just children enjoyed these books but adults did too. His books were so random and amazing that I even read his books today! Dr. Seuss is just another example of a person using what talent he has to make the world a better place by making other people happy.

13. A hero is someone that makes the world a better place. A hero is someone who helps and does the right thing. A hero is made by many things. Like they can have inspiration to do the right thing and help with anything important. Some attributes are bravery, kindness, and doing the right thing. A hero can be anyone. No madder who they or what they do. A hero can a poor man or a wealthy man (Or women). In the story, a point that moved me is when everyone was helping each other. Like when the old women was getting on a boat, and four business men helped her and her dog on the boat. And also this guy was helping people with their life jackets.

Yes, I believe that one person can make impact on the world. For example, when Martin Luther King Jr. made his dream speech, were he made black and whites go to the same school, same almost everything. Yes I believe one person can change the course of history. So back in the day, if someone did something good or right than he or she can make history. One hero to me is Martin Luther King Jr. because he made huge history when he made black and whites together.

14. To me a hero is someone who has courage and risks something like their lives to help someone else. In my opinion heroes are made because usually they are inspired. Some common attributes would be courage and hope because you don’t know what is going to happen so you cane only hope for the best. Anyone can be a hero, they only have to have a good heart. One part in the video that moved me was when one of the captains called over the radio and asked for help from anyone who could help, and that was when all the bots came and helped out as a community. One person can impact the world both in a good way and in a bad way, but for example the one captain who called for help, if it weren’t for him that a ton more people would have died.

I think that one person can change history because if it weren’t for the hi jackers than the twin towers wouldn’t have fallen and then there wouldn’t have been a big deal.
    A hero to me would be captain Sully because he saved quite a few people and he was pretty humble about it.

15. In ,y eyes this story was very moving. A hero is someone that does something amazing without thinking. I would define it by someone that does something for the world. Heroes are made. I think this because someone can do something without thinking. Anyone can be a hero because someone can do what they can to make the world a better place.

One thing that moved me was when the captain of the Amberjack said “if I save even one life, that is one less life that has to suffer!” Yes one person can make an impact on the world. One person that did was Martin Luther King jr, he helped end segregation. One group of people that are heroes are the people who brought down the plane that was heading towards the White House. All of the people on the aircraft helped take the hijackers out. This story was very motivating because a lot of people came together to help.

16. What makes a hero is that they just don’t become a hero they have to work hard and help everyone that needs help. I would define the word hero if someone works hard and doesn’t just help everyone because if you work hard doing a job and helping and saving people’s lives, that is a hero to me and not if you just help people without working hard. In my opinion hero’s would be made and not born because if your made then everyone will be happy and know that you worked hard to be a hero and if you are born as a hero then people won’t be as happy because you didn’t show that worked your butt off to become a hero. One attribute is that if people are running for their lives from being bombed then the hero can jump in with other people and help the scared people get of their city, country, or state to a better home. In my opinion anyone can be a hero as long as they are willing to be a good person and work work work. One point in the story that made me move on is that with one call on the radio in twenty minutes hundred of boats were coming to save the people that were on the island. Another thing that made me move on was that the people on the boats helped other people get on as quick as they can. Yes, because that person worked to become on that level to become a hero. Yes, because he or she wanted to make the world a happier and better place. Out of all these questions, one hero that was a true hero is Matin Luther King Jr.

17. Anything can make a hero. I think the definition of hero is someone who does all they can to help the people around them. Heroes are not born. They are made. They are made from the opportunities of crisis. A common attributes I associate with heroes are braveness and selflessness. Anyone can be a hero if they are willing to risk something for the benefit of others in need. The point in the story that moved me was when it showed the people walking out of the dust. “They looked like zombies.” Said the captain of the amberjack. The look on their faces was more shock than anything. Anybody anywhere can make an impact on the world. You could become a doctor and develop a cur for a sickly disease. You could become a world leader. Any body can change the course of history. It’s already been done.

A group of people that are heroes to me are the Harlem Hellfighters. They were an African-American group of soldiers that fought in WWII. Because of the color of their skin, America didn’t let them fight. Instead they fought for the French and won a lot of medals including the Medal of Honor.

18. A hero is someone who will risk their own life for someone else. Even if it’s just saving one other person. It’s putting someone else in front of you.
    Heroes aren’t born heroes. They go through life and evolve into a hero. They learn through life, and the importance of helping others.
    A hero has to be bold. A hero has to be determined. A hero has to be willing, willing to give their live for someone else.
    Anyone can be a hero. It’s just the fact that not everyone is willing to be a hero.
    The part when hundreds of boats rushed in less than 20 minutes made me feel that there are tons of people willing to be a hero. Someone who will put someone else’s live in front of theirs

Anyone can change the world, but you have to become a hero before you change the world.
    Once you change the world, you can change the course of history. But you have change the world in a big way to change the course of history.

Martin Luther King Jr. is a huge hero to me. He changed the world in a big way. And he certainly changed the course of history, I mean he made blacks equal to whites, that’s a big thing to do. He was willing to give up his life for someone else. He took a stand up to the police in his marches for freedom. He did it for every black in America.

19. A hero is someone who is bold enough to stand up for what’s right and to do something even if they are not sure what will happen in the end. I don’t think heroes are born or made, when the time comes they realize what they have to do and do it. Some common attributes that a hero would have might be bravery, kindness, and knowledge. I think anybody can be a hero because if they want to do something or help others and they set their mind to it anything can happen. A point in the story that moved me was when the Coast Guard called in for more help and in 20 minutes there were tons of boats, private boats, tug boats, anything that could float and carry people was there. So many people wanted to help and cared more about the people stranded on Manhattan then if another attack came and hurt them.

I believe that one person can make an impact on the world. Even if it is something small it could impact many people. And it is like a chain reaction. If one person helps someone else they may be inspired to help someone and on it goes. I think that a single person can change the course of history. Many people have already. If you do one thing or say one thing it may change what a lot of people think.

Someone that is a hero to me would be Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He stood up for what he believed was right and did it without any violence too. He believed in some things that other people didn’t and he wasn’t scared to share his beliefs.

20. I would define a hero as someone who does actions to help others. I would say that heroes are made not born because people could become a hero if they try to help others. Some common attributes I would associate with a hero are being able to help others and doing the right thing even if they could get hurt doing it. Anyone can be a hero like how many regular people brought their boats to Manhattan to help people escape. A point in the video that moved me was how 500,000 people were evacuated from Manhattan over the course of 9 hours because many ordinary people brought their boats to help people evacuate.

I believe that anyone can make an impact on the world if they try hard enough, and that a single person can change the course of history. A hero to me is Nikola Tesla, who made many innovations in technology and made many new inventions. He is a hero to me because he made technology that helped people. One invention that he made that helped people was air conditioning, that is used to regulate air temperatures in a building, which can help people stay cool in summer and warm in winter.

21. To be a hero you don’t have to be famous. Some people are heroes and no one knows about them. A hero is someone who does something to help the world or help save the world without wanting recognition. A hero does something good because they want to help, they don’t want to become famous. A hero doesn’t have to save tons of people to be a hero, if a hero saves one person that can make a big difference. A hero as many attributes. All of them are very important. Most heroes have integrity. They do the right thing even though no one is there to congratulate them or cheer them on to get special recognition. A hero also has kindness. A hero has to be kind to be a hero. If you are helping someone in any way you are showing kindness and that is what heroes do. Heroes are made. People just don’t be born a hero, they have to work for it and do many different good deeds to become a hero. A point in the story that moved me is when the man decided to go out and help people by taking his boat out and help people get out of Manhattan. He knew he could possibly get killed but he took that risk and decided to help anyway. That shows that he is a true hero. One person can make an impact on the world. Even if they save one person that is still one person. Yes one person can change the corse of history. Like Nelson Mandela. He did one thing but he changed the world very much. Now he is a great man who made history. In my opinion Abraham Lincoln is a hero. He was the one who had a big impact in the path to end slavery. If he wasn’t here there would be a chance that slavery would still be here today. After he died the people decided to help end slavery. He got the people on that path and he was a true hero. Abraham saved many people from misery and he helped saved the world.

22. I think a hero is anybody who will do anything to help someone else. Even if it doesn’t help them or give them any advantage in life. They just do it to help that person or group. Hero to me means to give, help, save, or take in something that means a lot to them. It is to do something that is to help in a unique, effective way. To be a hero you have to have perseverance, bravery, compassion, and heart toward the thing you’re fighting for. I believe anyone can be a hero if they have there mind set and focused on what they are going to do to. If they fight ready to fight for what they believe in I think that they could be a hero.
    The person who moved me in the video was the first man to talk in the video. He wanted to go help the people who needed even if it put him in danger. He said to his wife that even if I only save one person that’s one less person that has to suffer. It takes a lot of bravery to do that and that’s why I consider him a hero. I believe that one person can make a difference on the world just by doing the littlest of things. Just think of the strike against the buses. All the people had to do is not ride the bus and they got what they wanted. They got to sit where ever they wanted. I also believe someone can change history. Martin Luther king did it without being alive when they changed the law for blacks and whites rights. He kept fighting and fighting until he got what he wanted and it paid off.
    A hero to me would be Steve Hawkins. He was diseased with A.L.S. But that didn’t stop him he wanted show people that the black hole existed and he did. Even with all the pain he went through he kept fighting. He not only got his theory to be a fact but he also beat A.L.S

23. I think heroes are born. To me a hero is a person that help someone/something. Also a hero to me would risk their life for anything and everything. One other thing is a hero would save you and not just let you die just because. I think anyone can be a hero. The story made me think how people that came to rescue other people and also helping each other be safe. It moved me forward in a way to help people more when ever I have the chance, so I can be hero. I believe that just one person can make a impact on the world. For example all you have to do is to teach someone ,be nice ,or help a person in some way. One more example is some one can can change history like Rosa Parks or anyone like that. Some one that changed history, they are heroes and did change the world. Anyone and everyone can change history. You can change the world.
    My hero is that one captain that said “if I only save one person that’s less person to suffer”. Why he is my hero is because he saved people from that island even though that’s risking his life. Also he used his boat to save other people and he was thinking about them and not just his self. That’s what a true hero is.

24. I think a hero is a person who helps someone even if they could be deeply punished or be killed. A hero is someone who takes a risk to help someone in need. Anyone can be a hero. Heroes are not born heroes. What you do determines who you are. Common attributes that are associated with heroes are to be brave, compassionate, and to stand up to what you know is right. I believe everyone can make a difference and leave a mark on the world. Everyone has their chance to change the course of the future.
    I was moved by all these people coming together to help others. For example there was a blind woman and four business man. The business man picked her up and pasted her over the rail of the boat. Another example was when the boat men made a call over the radio. Within twenty minutes many boats came to pick up people and carry them of Manhattan.

25. To me, a hero is some who is kind, and is willing to take a risk, even if the person who they are saving isn’t kind to the hero. Two wrongs don’t make a right. But they don’t have to be jumping from building to building, it could just be saving someone from from getting punched from a bully, or even helping someone get home if they fell of their bike and twisted their ankle. It really just depends on the heroes background to determine if they were born to be a hero, or made to be one in the future. If the person was always very helpful and willing to take risks their whole entire life, then they were born to be a hero, but if they weren’t a hero until a certain event in there life, then they were made. I think that some attributes that I associate with with heroes, would be that they should have kindness built into the hero’s personality, and that they should be humble about themselves. They don’t have to be too adventurous, but a little bit of risk can go a long way. I think that anyone can do anything they put there mind to, so if someone wants to be a hero of some sort, then I think they could absolutely accomplish that. But sometimes you don’t always know when an adventure is coming.

A point in the story that really moved me, was when one of the boat captains said to his wife, “If I save one life, at least there is one less person that has to suffer. Absolutely, I definitely think that someone could change the world. I believe that someone could change the world in a long time, and I believe that someone could change the world in a day. A good example of a hero to me, is Alexander Hamilton, because he fought in the war, he helped come up with many ways to help the country of America, and he holds a record for the most letters.

26. I define the world hero different from most. A hero is someone who try’s. A hero doesn’t always succeed. They are like you and me, but a hero steps up and does all they can. They don’t have to be brave or special in any way. A hero takes a stand no matter what the challenge is. They fights till the end. Sometimes they succeed sometimes they just learn but they tried. A hero is scared of the challenge ahead but doesn’t give up or back down because they know it is the right thing to do. When everyone was so scared and wouldn’t do it the hero did it. A hero isn’t born a hero. It takes time to become one. Everyone is a hero they just don’t know it. Everyone one point in there life is a hero.

One part in the video that moved me was when the man said ” even if I only save one person that’s one less person suffering” this moved me because I feel it is so true. If he saved one person he one person he has succeeded. I don’t think one person can change the corse of history but I think one person can start a big change. I believe it takes a group of people to change the corse of history. Let’s say I have an amazing idea that could change the future for the better. Couldn’t do it alone. I would need other people to help. It really takes a group effort.

One person that is a hero is marten luthier king jr. everyone knows that he is amazing. He is the reason that we don’t have segregated schools. He help shape our future today and that is why he is amazing.

27. The word hero to me means someone who would do anything for anyone. Heroes are made. You can’t just be born a hero, because the decisions you make and the way you are makes a hero not how you are born. Some attributes that I affiliate with a hero would be caring or bravery. These attributes stick out to me because if you weren’t brave or caring you wouldn’t care about others in need or if you were not brave you would be scared and run away. Anyone can be a hero if they follow the right path. An example is when Siddartha Guatma believes he doesn’t want to be poor or spoiled he wants to follow the middle way, which was the right path. He was not special but he made himself a hero. In the Short story when the Captain of the Amberjack said he needed to help people even though he was in danger of a possible third attack he still needed to go out and save them even if there was only one person left to save.

One person can make an impact on the world because if they make all the right choices in life and they help others when they need it most, you can achieve anything. Any person can change the course of history because if they do all the right things they will become a hero and heroes never die. To me a Orioles baseball player Adam Jones is a hero because he never gets into fights, respects fellow players and does charity to help others. Yeah he probably had a few overdue library books in college but Adam Jones is a great man who puts others first.

28. A hero is somebody that is kind and willing to risk their lives for someone else’s cause. A hero is brave and courageous, but also true to themselves. Heroes are made, you don’t need to be someone famous, you could just be a regular person and then do your heroic deed. I think a hero needs to be a friendly natured person and a good example to others. The part of the story that moved me was when one of the captains of the ships called the port across from Manhattan to send help and as many ships that they could. I thought that was heroic because that changed the situation massively.
    I think that a single person can make an impact on the world, just like that captain impacted so many people’s lives when he called for help, and the world when he told him his story. There would be less people on earth if he didn’t get more boats there in time. One person can change the course of history, like Martin Luther. If it wasn’t for him, segregation would probably still be thriving in every state. He changed our lives just like Katherine Johnson. Katherine Johnson is my hero because she worked as a mathematician at NASA. Most people she worked with were white men, as she was a African American woman. She overcame both racism and sexism in this story. She walked half a mile to the nearest bathroom, because a coloured bathroom wasn’t existent in her building. The headmaster took down the sign so she wouldn’t be gone for so long. She was a key role in the Glenn Space Flight. She recalculated the math that was wrong and was mostly treated badly because of her skin and gender. At the end, she did get the respect she deserved, and continued to work at NASA for over 30 years.

29. I define the word hero by describing one or many as a good person that puts others above themselves (basically selflessness.) a hero can be made by doing things that benefit the greater good. Anyone can be a hero if they commit an act of heroism from saving the environment to a human makes one a hero. I was moved by the businessman that were helping the elderly lady and her dog on a boat.
    One person can make an impact on the world either by doing something good or bad. One person can change the course of history from preventing something from happening or making something happen. An example of a hero to me is General George Washington and all his colleagues by forming America for the greater good for immigrants being a free country and not a dictatorship.

30. What makes hero is when you do something that can help or do something that can save someone. Hero is being brave or going out of your way to doing something for someone. Heroes aren’t born they are made. They are made because you become brave or think of others as you grow up not as a a child in general. Attribute of a hero can be Brave and Caring for others. Anyone can be a hero because if you care for others and is willing to put your life on the line for others. A point in the story that moved me was when the captain of the Amberjack. Said that he didn’t care if he saves one life. Then that means one person can live because of me. That is what a hero means.

I do believe that one person can make an impact on the world if you stand for what you believe in. I also believe that one person change the course of history if you put in the work and don’t let anyone stop you.

31. I believe that a hero is someone who would sacrifice themselves for the well-being of others. I believe that heroes are made, not born. I say that because you can be born into a family of heroines, but you’re not truly a hero until you actually complete an act of heroism, such as saving a life. To me, heroes are both courageous and kind. Heroes are people who will risk their own lives to save others. They don’t have to put their own lives in jeopardy, but they do for the good of others. I truly believe that anyone can be a hero, you just have to be willing to fight for what is right, no matter the consequences. I felt like a touching part in the story was when the captain’s wife tried to stop him from going out and saving the people who were in danger, but he told her that he had to do something. He knew that he couldn’t just do nothing, and even if he saved one life, that would be enough.
    I believe that one single person can have an impact on the world. The people who went out on their boats to rescue the people of 9/11 were making a huge difference. They were saving as many lives as they could. I believe that one person can also change history. Like the captain said, even saving one life is making a difference. Perhaps actions of heroism like Boatlift will inspire future heroes to rise and do what they must to help people.
    A hero to me is Malala. She spoke up for what she believed in even after she was shot by the treacherous Taliban. I read the book about her, and after learning her story, I know that she has really inspired me. Malala even said: “I don’t want to be thought of as the “girl who was shot by the Taliban” but the “girl who fought for education.” This is the cause to which I want to devote my life.”

32. A hero is a person who puts there life on the line to help other people. Hero defines a nice, big hearted person. People don’t get born as a hero they are made a hero after they make a difference. Some common attributes are being brave, selfless, caring. Putting peoples life before theres. Anyone could be a hero but you have to do something great that will make a difference in the world but not only the world the history. A part in the story that moved me the most was when a captain called for boats and there was hundreds of boats coming. All different shapes and sizes, they cared about everyone not just there selfs. Yes I do believe that one person can make a impact in the world. By doing something brave and not being selfish. Yes I do believe that one person can make a change of history. Only if they do something out of the ordinary and putting there life on pause.

A hero to me is Captain Sullenberger. When the American plane crashed into the Hudson River. He did not leave anyone behind and he was the last person to get off of the plane. Sully is selfless, brave, caring, and will never be forgotten. Sully has made history and changed the world. No one died in that plane crash, only some people got sick of frost bite because they landed in the freezing cold Hudson River. After that happened it was called A Miracle on The Hudson.
    P.S my dad Matt was on that plane.

33. A hero is a something or someone willing to risk themselves to save the life of others even in the most serious conditions. A hero is not someone or something born with superpowers, a hero is something or someone made when they hear about a tragedy happens and they decide to help. A hero must be nice, kind, brave, helpful, and do whatever they can even if it means taking away there life for the others that may need help. Anyone can be a hero as long as they will be the one who will make everyone happy and safe. It amazed me that so many people just stood around, but a few people actually went out to get there boats to save everyone even of someone could hit them they knew they needed to help all the people in trouble and sometimes suffering. I believe anyone who believes they can save the world can save the world even if the world is one person. If a person can do what they can and save as much as they can they can change history and save so many if they believe

34. I define a hero to be someone who steps up to people in need and does whatever it takes to impact the world and makes the world a better place. Heros are made of doing anything you can to help someone or something even if it is risking you life to save a person or impacting the world. A common person’s attributes could be being brave and being a risk taker to who is in need. Anybody could be a hero be saving the world or impacting the world in a way and doing whatever you can do even if you risk your life helping a problem in the world. Something that made my happy was that when the coastguard called for help on the radio everyone wanted to help people and risk their own lives to help many people in need.

A single person could impact the world by stepping up anyway to help people anyway they can even if you risk your life doing it. A person could change history by doing something that you think is good to help even if you die doing the thing you love helping people. I think Martin Luther King Jr is a hero to me because he step up and helped the cause that blacks people and white people should be treated equally and black and white people should have the same respect and Martin Luther King Jr stepped up to impact the world and did everything he can to help. And their was not much segregation after he was killed but did impact the history of it does not matter which race you are you should treat each other equally.

35. To me, a hero is someone who impacts someone’s life in some way shape or form. It doesn’t have to be big, like saving someone’s life, but more like changing a person life in a little way. I believe that hero’s are not born but made. People choose to be a hero. It’s not just born in their blood, then just those people could be hero’s. People make choices to become hero’s. I believe that when someone asks, why did you give that homeless man money? I would respond, and I have, “It just felt right”. I probably could changed that man’s life just by my spare change. When you do something like that, it just feels right. A hero’s, in real life, could have any traits. Their traits are what make them special, what make them stand out, make them be a hero. I feel that every hero is different in their own way, based on their special traits. Hero’s can come is all shapes and sizes, anyone can be one. No matter how old, how smart, how strong, everyone is able to be a hero. In the video, if there were no coastguards, I’m sure not as many boats would have come out to save all those people. The coastguards felt it was right to make that announcement. Most of the people of Manhattan could of died if it we not for those coastguards calling on the radio. I feel that they played a big impact on 9/11.
    I do believe that one person can make an impact on the world. One person can change the course of history. The person that really is a great example of changing history is Martin Luther King Jr. He made “colored people” equal to “not colored” people. It was a huge mark in history. Life before Martin Luther King Jr’s big change, to me, life was messed up. I believe that equality is so important and it was never people fault they were born a different color. Martin Luther King Jr was so brave to stand up and protest to those who did not believe in equality. If he never had done that, who knows what today’s time would look like. He changed history, he was a hero. He felt it was right to change the world, and he did.

36. The things that make a hero are when they save another. If they risk their life for somebody else’s, if they put their own at risk, it’s a hero automatically. Heroes are ordinary people who go far just to save somebody’s life: and that’s extraordinary, even more than extraordinary, actually. That’s amazing. Heroes are made because you don’t have to be born a hero to become a hero. If you’re born the villain, you could easily become the hero by saving somebody instead of hurting somebody. Some common attributes I associate with a hero is kindness, trustworthy, daring, and most of all just plain nice enough to risk their own lives for someone else’s. Yes, anyone can be a hero. They just have to do what’s right. A point in the 9/11 story that moved me was when the man said that even if he saved one person, it would be enough, because one life is always better than nobody at all. It also moved me about how quickly the other boats came when they called them up on the radio, and how most of the boats usually took a larger load than their boats could handle.

I do believe that one person can make an impact on the world. Anyone could do that, they just have to put their mind to it. If there were a fire in a building and the firefighters ran out of water, the person who could help (a hero) would be a person who helped, a person who helped the firefighters take the fire down with water buckets instead of the hose. I do also believe that a single person can change the course of history. If something bad was going on in history, I’m sure somebody who were to help something within the bad things going on, they’d change all of history as we know it. Another example is if there’s a war going on and somebody, an ordinary person, a single, ordinary person were to do something, something so extreme that it ended the wars – that would change the course of history.

A person who is a hero to me is the refugees who had saved Private Ryan. After the two other boys, who were Private Ryan’s brothers, had also died in the war, they got tired of it and went out to save Private Ryan himself. I feel that they are heroes because that would be risking, to go into a war and try to find somebody who could be anywhere, in any war, at any time. For all they knew, he could also most likely be dead. They risked their lives to find Private Ryan, and that’s something a hero does. Private Ryan also himself was a hero, fighting in the war for their country, fighting even after their brothers had died alongside them. That’s very brave, and along with the refugees who saved him, Private Ryan is a hero as well

37. To me a hero is someone that goes out of their way to help others, someone who realizes someone else is suffering and helps them in any way possible. I’m movies and shows heroes are born, but in reality heroes are made. They choose the harder path over the easier one and help others even though they could just watch. To be a hero you have to be selfless, you can’t watch others suffer when you know you can do something to help them. In the video there was a quote “I never want to go through life saying I should have.” Heroes need to follow that quote. Heroes need to want to help not like someone is telling them to help, they need to want to help. Simply anyone can be a hero, the man in the video was just a man living a normal life when he turned on the TV he changed completely. He wanted to help he didn’t care what others said about him helping, he wanted to help.
    In the video when the coast guard made the radio call that anyone who wanted to help evacuate the people from Manhattan come by boat to help. And 20 minutes later boats were coming by the dozens, at this moment I was moved completely. Random people who owned a boat came just because they wanted to save someone, they wanted to make one less person suffer. They wanted to make a difference. Take one simple man for example, that man can change the world as we know it. For example Martin Luther King Jr. he changed history and the world, he protested with many black people to give them the same rights as white people. Captain Sully is my hero. He landed a massive plane that was about to crash in the water. He didn’t have to save the plane, he could have got a parachute and jumped. But he wanted to save the lives of the people on that plane because he could save them and he did it. Over all this video was moving in many ways and I am glad I could watch it.

38. I would define the word “hero” as someone who inspires someone else to do something, such as if I were to help just any ordinary person with doing something I would think of myself as a hero. I believe heroes are made because you could be born to be selfish and rude and later in life you could possibly be a “hero”. Some common attributes that can associate you being with a hero would be they should be kind, brave, be willing to die or get injured for others, those things would in my opinion be heroes. I also think navy solders are heroes because they protect us from bad and they risk their lives for us, my grandfather was in the navy and I believe he is my hero. I think anyone could be a hero because like I said previously someone could be an ordinary person but then changes so many life or just one life. My favorite part in the story that really moved me was when the captain of the Amberjack said “it doesn’t matter if I just save one life, it’s one less person who needs to suffer. It really moved me and wanted me to help change others life and achieve new goals.

I do believe that one person can make an impact on the world and in the story there were many people who saved millions of life and others just saved one or two lives. I believe that one person can change the course for history and many people have.

I believe Rossa Parks is a hero because she sat in the front of the bus where the white people are supposed to sit, a man asked her to moved and she resisted. She changed history because she believed African American people can sit and walk where ever they’d like. And that is how America is so great and amazing today. She changed history!!

39. I believe that a hero is a person who risks their life for someone else. An example of this is in the video the properly aged man said no matter if he only saves one person he tried, but if he saved all of them good job for him. I feel like hero’s are made. I think that hero’s are made because there are some people on this world who get inspired. An example of this is I was inspired by Rosa Parks , she was brave. And when I read about her it made me stronger. I wanted to stand up for other people when they were being treated differently than anyone else. When I think of a hero I think of them as selfless, kind, loving, and brave. A place in the video that I watched that moved me was when the people of the city were calling for help, and the cost guard went on the microphone and called for help extra. In less than 15 minutes or so a whole bunch of boats came all at once to go and save these people. That moved me because so many people came to help. And it showed how much people still care for each other in America. I believe that this can show other states and countries all over the world that we can still make a change. And help each other.

I do believe that one person can impact the world. An example of that is if one person is moved by what another person did than it would be like a chain affect. People would do the same. I believe that the course of history can be changed because people who change history can change the world.

A person who I look up to and I think that is my hero is Rosa Parks. She sat in the front of the bus because she believed that all people were equal no matter what skin color they had. Or how different you look from the rest. I look up to her because she was brave and didn’t care what people said about her.

40. Anyone can be a hero. What I believe hero means is not doing something extraordinary, like saving people’s lives. What I believe a hero is, is someone who goes out of their way to help someone. Helping someone by saving their life, or as little as helping them cross the street. Heroes aren’t born, they are made because just by a little inspiration, someone can become a hero and make someone’s day. You don’t have to be born a perfect person to be a hero, anyone can be a hero, if they put a little bit of effort into making someone’s day, small or big. A common attribute that I believe heroes have is selflessness. If you aren’t selfish, and don’t want to keep anyone happy, except their self, they can’t be a hero. A real hero would go out of their way to help someone else, which is being selfless. A part of this story that moved me was that in nine hours, boats evacuated 500,000 people from Manhattan, just from people everywhere trying to help. And I also thought that it was incredible that it was the largest over-water evacuation ahead of the British evacuation in World War ll which evacuated 300,000 people in nine days. I believe that one person can make an impact because if someone, for example, like the coast guard didn’t send the radio message to the other boats, lots of people wouldn’t have got evacuated from Manhattan. And that goes to show that one person can change the world. I also believe that one person can change the course of history, too. For example, if George Washington didn’t become president, and no one did, the United States would be chaotic. So someone did change the course of history.

My heroes are my teachers because they help me everyday. I believe that my teachers are my heroes because they go out of their way everyday to come to school and help kids get the best education they can get. For example, if I had a question or needed help on something, like classwork or homework. My teachers would always put Ian the time to make sure I have the topic perfected, so I won’t fail my tests. Also, teachers save people’s lives, from not being bad. They make sure you go all the way up to college, with a great education. And also, no teacher wants to see any of their students fail. All of my teachers. Did these things, so that’s why I believe that they are my heroes.

41. In my opinion, a hero is a person who changes the world in someway. Whether it’s ending segregation or helping an old lady cross the street. They changed the world through someone’s eyes. Heroes are made when they decide to change the world. When they choose to help someone else before themselves is when they become a hero. Heroes aren’t born, they are made through a decision between themselves and others. A hero could be someone brave and strong or weak and shy. When you think of heroes most people imagine someone strong and muscular but in reality a hero is anyone who is willing to pick others over himself whether its someone tall or someone short. Heroes aren’t defined by what they look like or how strong they are, they are defined by which choices they make. Anyone can be a hero. They’re aren’t any rules for being a hero but it must be someone who is willing to think beyond them self and think of others. The guidelines to become a hero varies on which person you ask. Some might say that only someone with superpowers is a hero while others might say a hero is someone who thinks past them self and about others. My guidelines are that they must be willing to put others in front of themselves. Part of the story that moved me was when the coast guard used the radio to tell anyone with a boat to come and help with the evacuation. Even though he was just a coast guard he saved many lives with just one radio call. It was a simple act but many people lived because of him. He changed history in the passengers eyes.

A single person can make an impact in the world. Take Martian Luther King for example. He changed history in so many ways. Colored people don’t have to go to separate schools or drink from different water fountains anymore. He was willing to go to jail if it meant that others wont have to suffer. He changed history. Without him making a choice to help others instead of just living his life the way he was before we still would have separate schools for different colored people. He is a hero to me because if he didn’t have a dream then many of my friends wouldn’t be going to the same school as me. Life would still be separated in two like it was when he lived

42. To me a hero is someone who inspires you to change something to help the world. I believe that a hero does not have to save someone. I believe that a hero is someone who solves a problem in this world even if it is the smallest problem there is. A hero has to be fearless when they have to help someone or solve a problem with out hesitation they don’t even need to think before they do. To me a hero characteristic is to be willing to do things without being asked, help someone even when the police say they handle it. To be a hero you have to think of others before yourself and when a crisis is happening even help people you hate. Everyone helped one another in the 9/11 situation which means everyone can be a hero. No matter who you are, whether you work at Publix or you’re and architect you can always help someone or solve a big problem. In this little movie it proved that anyone could be a hero, some guy watching the news said, “you know what I’m going to help these people and I’ll be happy if I save even one life.” So he went out on his boat and escorted many people along with hundreds of other boats. In this video the most thing that touched me was how everyone was working together as a community and I believe our lives shall be just like that everyday. I loved it when everyone on board a boat was helping a old woman and her dog onto the boat, everyone was everyones hero. The way people worked together was incredible and it inspired me and really moved me I hope that I can help this world be a better place someday.

I believe that one person can make a impact on this world because it already happened take Tomas Edison for example, he created the light bulb which took great impact on the world people had light that isn’t fire! one person can impact the world but it doesn’t necessarily have to be a huge impact like the phone. I honestly don’t think that a single person can change history. I believe that the person has to be really smart and brave, like an archeologist they discover new things a ton so they change history by discovering history. I just think that in order to change history someone has to have the million dollar idea or a lot of talents. My hero out of every hero in this world would have to be Benjamin Franklin. He is my hero because he changed the course of history big time! He discovered electricity! He also has all if the features of a hero, he was very brave to go out and conduct electricity by flying a kite in the sky with a key on it risking being electrocuted. Benjamin Franklin also solved a lot of problems with his brilliant inventions. He didn’t ask anyone to electrocute a kite with a key on it he went outside getting ready to change lives with electricity a he did. Benjamin Franklin is my hero and inspiration and I hope to be like him someday, but of course not having a bald spot like him.

43. I think what makes a hero is that person has to risk giving up many things to save others. I think hero’s are born. Everyone can be a hero but there are some people who have had stuff happen in there life some people don’t do anything about and some think I don’t what this to happen to anyone else. I think a hero has to be, willing to give up them self for others. I think anyone can be a hero if they see something that is happing for example not saving anyone’s life maybe just helping someone across the street or helping anyone in any way they can. The point of the story that moved me was someone who was willing to help others even though he didn’t know what was going on there. I believe that one person can make a impact on the whole world and that is doing what they feel is right. Yes I think one person can change the course of history. For example Rosa Parks because she didn’t sit were she was supposed to. That change the world in a way people never though it could. People saw that they needed to do something about it. The person that is a hero to me is Katherine Johnson, that is because she was the first African American woman who help NASA. She was the one who calculated the landing for the orbit around the earth without here we would not be were we are today.

44. A hero is someone who goes out of their way to help others. Even in the moment of crisis. Heroes aren’t born they are made. I personally believe that there is a hero in everyone. When they moment comes everyone will help everyone. Just like in the boat evacuation of 9/11. One attribute in a hero is bravery. People are brave to go into an attack to help others, even though their life is at risk. Another attribute is integrity. Heroes don’t help people for the fame, they do it because it is the right thing to do. And the last attribute for a hero I believe is being humble. Heroes don’t gloat about what they do. They act as if any other human could do, and any other human could do it if they wanted to. Anyone can be a hero, but only if they believe in their selves. They most touching part of the video was when the sea captain said, “And you what was the best thing… everyone helping everyone.” In a moment of crisis, everyone will come together and help each other. And its best knowing people you don’t even know, you can trust.
    I do believe that one person can impact the world. Even the slightest things. Not polluting, or even picking up other people’s trash. It’s such a small action, but it saves other animals lives. Even if you only save one person in an attack, it’s one less person dead. And that still makes you a hero. Yes, one person can change history. Even the slightest bit. You are changing history at the moment and don’t even know it. Every good deed you do makes the future brighter, and history better.
    The person who is a hero to me is George Washington. He was humble, when the people of America wanted him to be king, he denied it. He didn’t believe he deserved such power. Even though people were begging him to be king, he still decided he’d be something of less power. So he became president. And that to me is being humble. He was an American soldier, he fought for this country. He went into fights he didn’t know if he would come back alive, and that is a sign of bravery. He helped others in his army squad, he fought for them and tried to keep them alive, and that is integrity.

45. A hero to me is someone who would save someone even if it meant risking their own life. The people who drive the boats holding the people they were risking their lives they did not know if there was going to be another plane nobody knew what would happen next. Everyone can be a hero, the people who drive their boats to save people’s lives they are hero’s. Hero’s make the right choice and they can either watch or they can risk their life to save an even if it’s only if it’s one person they save that one person is safe now. The story encouraged me to do the right thing even when it’s hard and scary. One person can change the corse in history and one person can make a big impact.

I believe that one person can make an impact on the world. If you only save one person it’s one person safer now, and that can make an impact in the world. I believe that a single person can also change the course of history. The people who drive their boats out and saved people they changed history by saving all those people who are probably alive today. They took a big risk because something could have happened to them but they took a risk and saved people’s lives. They were true hero’s and they definitely changed the course of history.

A hero to me would be Martin Luther King. He stood up for what was right. Martin Luther King made an impact on the world, and took risks for what he thought was right. Martin Luther King never gave up for what he thought was right. He never said he gave up and if he failed he would try again and again. Martin Luther King changed the corse of history with his beliefs and he never let anyone tell him he couldn’t do anything. Martin Luther King had a dream and Martin Luther King made his dream possible. Martin Luther King was only one person and that one person made a huge impact on the world.

46. I would define the word hero as someone who offers helps to others in a time of need or crisis, and that everyone is born a strong, smart, selfless, and sensational hero, with the ability to come out at any time in any situation. Like when the man with the Amberjack (Boat) knew that he needed to go and help evacuate Manhattan.
    I believe that any one person can impact the world in infinite ways, from giving one poor child clothing, to ending all hunger. Anything could happen, and anyone could do it. These actions could change the course of history. Which brings me to my next topic. Changing the course of history, like Martin Luther King Jr. did when he helped end racism and segregation against African American people. You could be the next Martin Luther King. You could change the course of history.
    Now after all of this, If I had to choose one person who is my hero (not including family) I would choose Steve Jobs because he changed the course of history by changing the direction of technology forever, and by giving us Apple, the company that created the iPad you most likely typed this post on.

47. Selflessness and hope is all you need to become a hero. A hero is someone who goes out of there will to help someone even if it is just one person. Heroes are made because they chose weather they want to be a hero or not. Heroes never quit and never give up hope. Anyone can be a hero they just have to chose weather they want to help people or stand by and watch them. When the captain of the Coast guard called on the radio and asked if anyone would want to help with the Manhattan evacuation and a bunch of boats came to help, even the smallest boats.

I believe that one person can make an impact on the world like the person who took the Amberjack and saved as many lives as he could. I believe that someone can make a change in history like the Coast guard who made the radio call saved so many more lives than if he didn’t make that call. Therefore so many more people have expanded there family.

48. I would define the word hero as someone who risks their life and their well-being to help or save people in need. I think that a hero does things that they do not need to do, but they do it just because they want to help others. I think that heroes are made, because in my opinion to be a hero you have to do something heroic or good and you can’t just be born into it because you haven’t done anything yet. A common attribute that I think of when I think of heroes is that heroes put others before themselves. Heroes are willing to go out of their way to try and help people that need it. Another common attribute that I think of is bravery. I think of this because heroes normally risk their lives to save people because they know that they are doing the right thing. Yes, I think that anyone can be a hero, because anyone can help people if they really want to. I think that if anyone saw people in trouble and they really felt strongly about it, they would try to help. A point in the 9/11 story that moved me was when I saw all of the boats going straight towards the smoke when they were rescuing people. This moved me because it showed how many people were ready to risk their lives to help people. I think that everyone who was taking their boat into the smoke was a hero because they had no idea what was there, but yet they were willing to go to help others.
    Yes, I do believe that one person can make an impact on the world. One person can either make a bad impact on the world, or a good one. For example, Adolf Hitler made a huge impact on the world, but it was a bad one. And the people who took their boats to save people on 9/11 made a good impact on the world because they saved many people who would have died if it weren’t for the boats. Yes, I do believe that a single person can change the world. I believe this because it has already happened. For example Martin Luther King Jr. Impacted not only the U.S., but also the world. He showed other countries that you should treat everyone the same no matter what race or religion. A person who is a hero to me was the king of Denmark during the Holocaust. He is a hero to me because during the Holocaust when many other, much bigger countries had been taken over, he held fast. When the Nazis told the Jews that they had to wear the yellow stars, he made everyone in his country, Jewish or not, wear the yellow star. This made the Nazis confused because they did not know who was Jewish. Another reason why I think of him as a hero is because he would help Jews into Denmark and he would also help them get even farther away from mainland Europe by sending them to Sweden. Another reason that he is a hero to me is because he risked his life to save the Jews. If the Nazis had taken over he would have been killed and he knew that when he saved the Jews and that’s why he is a hero to me.

49. If I were to define a hero, I would define them as someone who helps people and risks their lives to help someone in need. I think hero’s are made because you can’t be born a hero, you have to do a really good deed. Some common attributes that I would associate to a hero would be someone who is selfless, brave, strong, caring for others. Yes, anyone can be a hero, but it is just up to the person to decide if they want to help others or help someone in need. One specific part in the story that moved me was when all the boaters heard the call and came to help all the people of Manhattan escape the island from the crashes. It made me feel happy inside to see that people came to the rescue for these scared civilians.
    I do believe that one single person could impact the world. All it takes is one civilian who believes that he/she could impact the world. I do believe that one single person could impact history. Martin Luther King changed history. So why can’t we, Martin Luther King fought for what he believe and because of all his courageous work, he changed the course of history. My hero is Jordan Spieth, he is a young man who gives most of his money to his sister to help find a cure for his sister. He is a very respectful man and a selfless man. He also drives the same car he had in high school. This is my hero, Jordan Spieth.

50. The thing that makes up a hero is bravery to help others at risk and a hero is also put their life at risk to save others. The definition of the word hero is to do the right thing even through you might not get credit for doing it. I believe that heroes are made because when we are born we are not born to do heroic thing, but when we group and know that there is good in this world then we will become someone who knows they want to do good. A hero would do the right thing and help others. I believe that anyone can be a hero if they fount they mind to it. In the video that thing that moved me was one of the people how own a boat wanted to go out of his way and help people who are frightened and scared and his wife said that he was crazy and he said by to her that if I only save one person I will know I did the right thing, and I think that he is right it doesn’t matter if you saved one person it only matters if you tried to help.

Yes because if you change just one thing that will help the people around you then you can make a impact on to the world. Yes one person can change the history let’s say that the people of Spain didn’t discover America then America will have still have been forest and trees.

My hero is Rosa Parks because she stand for two thing back then if was woman’s rights because she stand up to a man and blacks right which is more important to history and I think that yes she was a strong person and she said what she felt in her heart and said no to that person.