What Makes a Hero?

Students, please write three (3) good paragraphs each beginning with a creative lead sentence. Put a double space between prompts to indicate a new paragraph…I do not want to read one huge block of text.

1. Reflect on something from BoatLift  that made an impression on you.

2. What is your definition of a hero? Think and give an example of someone who fits your description. (No family or friends)

3. From the quotes below, which one do you connect with? What does it mean to you? (Be sure to indicate which quote you have chosen.)

(A) A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer” (Ralph Waldo Emerson).

(B) Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the ‘hero’ within us is revealed” (Bob Riley).

(C) A  hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt, or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway” (Christopher Reeve).

(D)

Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 8.57.18 AM

1. When I watched the BoatLift video, the scene when the people were by the water behind the rail shouting for safety made an impression on me. This really shocked me because it’s a terrible feeling when your feeling helpless and I’m sure those people felt that way. I also got shocked when all the boats came together and saved all those people. It thought that was very brave and awesome for that many boats coming together and rescuing the citizens.

My definition of a hero is someone who is brave and strong enough to do beyond what is expected. Some one that fits my description is Jacky Robinson. Jacky Robinson is a hero to me because he changed baseball history. He was the fist african-american to enter the baseball league. He did is also my hero because when he first joined, everyone bullied him. Later on, he became better the rest.

The quote that connects with me is the first one because it makes perfect sense, and i’ll tell you why. This quote connects to me because, really, a hero is a man or woman who is as brave as any individual like you and me, but strives to do more than he or she should. What this means to me is that anyone can be a hero if they strive to do beyond what is expected.

1. “This quote connects to me because, really, a hero is a man or woman who is as brave as any individual like you and me, but strives to do more than he or she should.”

2. What really left an impression on me from BoatLift was that it was the largest boat evacuation. It was larger that the Evacuation Of Dunkirk, which evacuated more than 300,000 people. BoatLift evacuated over 500,000 people from the terrorized Manhattan while the Twin Towers came crashing down. So many boats came to help, that the water looked like it had multicolored dots all over it. That left an impression on me that humans will help humans when they are in danger.

Someone ordinary, that will stand up for what is right. That is my definition of a hero. Someone that fits that definition is a soldier. Right now, thousands of soldiers are fighting and dying for their country. They fight to keep their country free from many things, and to protect their families and civilians. They are the REAL heroes.

“Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during hard times when the ‘hero’ within us within us is revealed” (Bob Riley).
    That connects to me because in The Great Depression or World War II, people helped other people by opening free food courts, sharing rations, and other things that help others. Even today, someone buys food for someone that is homeless, or donate to a cancer society. Even people who do that are heroes because that little kindness may go a long way.

3. As all the boats swarmed together in the video Boatlift, I was amazed as how many ordinary people just dropped everything and went to the rescue of these stranded civilians. I already knew about the boat rescues, but I had no idea that so many boats came to the rescue. It really is amazing how that was the biggest boat evacuation of all time and it only took nine hours. All the of these people who never knew each other just came together and helped them out onto the boats. Every single person who was the captain of one of those boats and drove the self into harms way is a real hero.

A hero is not a person that slays dragons and goes on epic quests, a hero is just a person who goes above and beyond. A hero is someone who does all that they can and not all that they have to do. A real hero would be all the captains of the boats in Boatlift because they did not have to go rescue all those people but they could, and they did. That is why I think all of those boat captains were heroes.

Every single of of the quotes are very correct, but I think that quote A is the one that makes the most since. To me it means that everyone is equal, it’s just that some of the people go above and beyond for a longer amount of time and become a hero. I really do believe that everyone is equal, it’s just that some people choose to work harder and become more than equal. That is how a hero is made.

1. That was a very good piece. I loved when you said “A hero is not a person who slays a dragon or goes on an epic quest a hero is someone who goes above and beyond.” That was my favorite part in your story.

4. The video BoatLift was about 9/11 and the evacuation of Manhattan when the World Trade Center was struck with 2 planes. When the Coast Guard put out the call to any boat they said “This is the Coast Guard, any boat that is willing to help with evacuations of lower Manhattan please come.” 15 minutes later over 100 boats came over the horizon and they evacuated over 500,000 people in a little less than 9 hours. This struck me as very brave and it moved me to want to do something like that. That was brave because they could have struck again on the boats but the people prevailed and they saved so many people.

A hero is an ordinary person who steps up and does something for the good of others. I think a perfect example of that is Lou Gehrig. He is the one that Lou Gehrig’s cancer is named after. He is a hero because when he had cancer he still did his regular thing even though he knew he was going to die. He gave that hope to other people, later on, the hope of living. In our generation, and in the next generation, he will still give people hope. His speech “I am the luckiest man in the world” made every on who heard it cry. I cried when I heard it. He made people have hope just with that speech. Lou Gehrig is a hero.

I love the quote: “A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt, or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway.” Christopher Revee said that. I agree with him, the people in BoatLift did just that and so did Lou Gehrig. The quote basically means to step up when opportunity presents it’s self, or just keep going when the going gets rough. That is the way everyone should live their lives. Each day is our decision whether or not to be a hero. We just need to figure it out when the time comes.

1. Luke your post was very good. I liked the baseball reference. Anyway, it was pretty good, and I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

5. The impression Boatlift gave me was that anybody can be a hero if they are willing to take the risk. Boatlift gave me this impression because they saved about 500,000 people. This was one of the biggest boat evacuations in the world. All the captains and people helping on the boats were all heroes to me. Also that probably wasn’t the most boats that could have came. I bet some people were to scared of risking there life for others.

My definition of a hero is man who stands up for his own and other lives. Fighting for others rights. My person is Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln was against slavery. He stood up for others lives. It wasn’t for any benefit to him. He wanted equal rights for all types of people.

I really liked the quote ” A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer” by Ralph Waldo Emerson. I liked this quote because everybody is a hero. Just depends on when they want to show it.

6. In the video BoatLift something that made an impression on me is that when they made the radio call to the other boats they all came. There were hundreds of boats helping with one call. Just like that they do it like it was not a big deal and they have always been doing that. They evacuated 500,000 people out of New York when a terrorist bombed a building. All it takes is a several people to save 500,000 people.

My definition of a hero is someone ordinary who just takes more time to do something helpful. Abraham fits my definition because he let everyone have freedom and he devoted his life to it. He helped millions of people who, to this day, thank him. He was just an ordinary person who decided he wanted to help people and let them have freedom.

The quote that I connect with most is a hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger the oneself because someone who just stands around and does not care, is a person. A person who does not stand around and helps, then he or she would be a hero to that person. A hero is just someone who is more then ordinary.

7. Boatlift was unfortunately a real event and real people died that day. I was so inspired when in minutes of calling on the radio hundreds of brave men and women drove to the island of Manhattan in there boats and saved 500,000+ people in 9 hours. Like one man said in the video “Never ever go through life saying I should have just do it.”

A hero is one person who stands out from the rest facing obstacles to be concurred. Someone like this would probably be Marther Luther King Jr because even though he new he knew he wouldn’t have won though the beatings and pain about what he believed, but he did win, not that day but now in our generation.

As Christopher Reeve (the firsts super man) once said “A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt, or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcome anyway.” That in my opinion the perfect definition of a hero because in all stories the odds alway against the hero, like his family is in trouble, just daily life problem or he has to fight a more powerful being but, he or she always find a way to fix them with all of his strength.

8. BoatLift was a very interesting documentary. Something that made an impression on me was how the captains just rushed to the scene. They didn’t care about the tides or the smoke. They didn’t even care if there was another attack. All they cared about was getting people to safety, and off the island of Manhattan. This surprised me because being the captain of a boat is a job of planning. Their always checking the tides, the wind, and the weather. They didn’t do any of this. This part of the rescue was a huge surprise to me.

Anybody can be a hero, but I think of a hero as someone who goes out of there way to do just an everyday thing that someone needs help with. I don’t mean something like a teacher helping someone learn. This is more like going to Starbucks and the person in front of you pays for your coffee. An action like this is not required, but it was very helpful and an act of kindness. Someone who demonstrates this is someone at Tampa International Airport who payed for the person bag check fee. They did this because they felt bad the other guy had his credit card denied. Here was what I think is a hero.

“A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but was braver five minutes longer” is a quote I thought was very interesting. I can connect to this because whenever I can I always go one step farther. This Ralph Waldo Emerson quote was a very inspirational quote. This made me think anyone of us can become a hero, but only some of us chose to. This quote was very enjoyable and I hope more people take something away from it.

9. Something that made an impression on me in the BoatLift video was watching all of the boats come to one little area to pick up so many people that needed to get off the island. I was shocked that at least five hundred thousand people evacuated the island by boat. It was the largest boat evacuation in the world.

My definition of a hero is somebody or something that stands out, or does something nice to someone else. One example for a hero is Abraham Lincoln. He fought in the revolution war and ended slavery.

The quote that I connect with and like is the one where it says, “a hero is no different from an ordinary man”. I chose this quote because it tells you that anybody can be a hero.

10. When I was watching BoatLift I kept thinking about how wonderful it was that all those people came together to help the public on 9/11. The boat captains didn’t have to drive to manhattan and let strangers on their boat, but they did, and they knew what they were doing was helping, maybe saving, lives. One boat captain’s wife told him not to go and let people on his boat, the Amberjack, but he still went and helped lots of people. There was no reward, no prize for doing that, but he still went and brought people to safety on his boat. Hundreds of boats came to Manhattan, and they evacuated more that 500,000 people. It only took eight hours. All those people who used their boats to help people, they were heroes.

To me, a hero is someone who tries to change the world for the better, even if it is only a small change. A hero, to me, is John Lennon. He fought for world peace and to stop war. One of his songs, Imagine, talked about that. He knew that war was wrong, and he did all that was in his power to show people that. His efforts were unforgettable, and that is why I think he was a hero.

The quote that I connect with is “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” John Campbell said that, and it really stands out to me. As I said above, a hero is someone who tries to change the world for the better, and that quote talks about that. To me though, it means that one person can change something much bigger than themselves, like a country or even the world, and that is right. It doesn’t take an army to change the world, it can only take one person.

11. Boatlift made me feel powerful, because I could have saved those people too. One of the boat captains inspired me because he just decided to save people, and I think that’s a hero. Anyone could be a hero, hundreds of boats came in to save people for the 911 Boatlift.

Doctors, surgeons and nurses are big heroes, because they save people every day. Doctors help and save people with medicine. Surgeons save people by giving them surgery to live. Nurses help broken bones heal by giving us casts or crutches.

“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” I picked this speech by Joseph Cambell because anyone that gives there life for another is a hero. I think this speech is the definition of a hero because you’re thinking of others before yourself.

12. You always hear about 9-11 and how the two twin towers went down and of all the people that tragically lost their lives. BoatLift is the un-told story of 9-11. The BoatLift is the biggest evacuation by boat I history, more then 500,000 people where evacuated within 9 hours. It is incredibly how some many people band together and, helped evacuate Manhattan. It was a very sad event, but there is a light in the darkness. To know that hundreds upon hundreds captains band together and help all of those people was truly amazing. My faith in humanity is very high, if something bad was to happen every again I know that at least some people will be there to help.

A hero is a person that helps, in a time of need, they stand up for what is wrong and, try to make it right. Bill Gates fits this description because, he has donated countless millions of dollars to the poor.

I connect most with quote D, because I think it is the makes the most sense to me. It is saying that hero can be anybody that has dedication and bravery, someone that is willing to die for what they believe in.

13. Boat lift helping people when they need it the most. In New York at the Trade Center two air planes crashed in both of the trade center. There was panic but when the first tower fell the real panic started. most of the people went to coast and thats where they realist that New York city was a island.

All the people that din’t make it to the coast were all covered in dust. Some people were yelling for help. There was a lot of people jumping in the water to get saved. then there is the boat lift.

There were all the people that running to get in a boat. There were hundred’s of boats private boats moving boats any type of boats. And they saved five hundred thousand people in less than nine hour. My definition hero is one of the boat captains he said “Even if we save one person thats gonna be one person less that is suffering” and thats why he is the definition of a hero.

14. Boats saving half a million people in nine hours, I would have never thought. After I watched the Boatlift it changed my life. When the captan was talking about “If you want to do something do it don’t wait then say I should have done it.”

A hero is not just any man or woman, a hero is someone who makes a difference in more than one person. A hero to me is Blair Wiggins, I look up to him like who I want to be. He has helped an almost extinct fish come back like they were never gone. He didn’t make a difference in people he made a difference in wildlife.

” A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself,” This means something more than just a silly old sentence. My mom used to say this to me as a kid. Now it means more to me and it should for you too.

15. In Boatlift one thing that gave me a impression was when the twin towers exploded every person that had a boat came to help. When I saw people bringing there boats over from New Jersey to help the people that made me feel good. It took bravery for the captain of the Amberjack to drive his boat over into the smoky island and save a lot of people. He was not just thinking about himself he was thinking about the people that where trapped on a island.

My definition of a hero is a firefighter. The reason that they are hero’s to me is because they save a lot of people. One definition that made me think that there hero’s is because there risking there life to save others. The firefighters that where involved with the twin towers where brave because they saved millions of lives for one. That’s why I think they are great hero’s.

The quote that I chose is ” A hero is someone who has his or her life to something bigger then oneself ” The reason that I like this is because there thinking about other people not just them self. This is good quote because it means a lot to some people that have maybe lost a family member in a accident.

16. One thing I learned from Boatlift was that it happened on September eleventh and because of Boatlift thousands of people were saved. When the Coast Guard made that one call boats and boats just came coming to try and save all the people from Manhattan since they got bombed. History was made on September eleventh because Manhattan got bombed and because Boatlift was the biggest save in history.

My definition of a hero is someone who made a change in history. Martin Luther King Jr. is a hero to me because he was one of the leaders of the Civil Rights movement for blacks. Even though Martin Luther King Jr. Is also a hero to me because even though he knew that he could have died he still was willing to fight for the blacks.

I really like the quote “Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the hero within us is revealed”. That quote connects to me because when someone believes they can do it, their inner hero will be revealed. That quote also stands out to me because that quote is inspiring and it could make someone make a change in the world.

17. Heroes come in every human. Some are great and some are not. Still, everyone has a hero inside of them. There were many great heroes in the 911 Boatlift. It was just an ordinary day when two jumbo jets plowed straight in two the World Trade Towers. The heroes were just regular captains when the Coast Guard signaled the 911 Boatlift. They put their lives behind them for others who needed help. Hundreds of thousands of people stood at the seawall to be saved and they were.

The 911 Boatlift was the largest boat evacuation in history. I think that a good hero was Paul Revere because he warned the town that the british were coming and he saved a lot of people. I like the expression, “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself”. I like this expression because it tells me that a hero puts his or her life behind him to save someone.

The heroes of the 911 Boatlift put their lives behind them because they didn’t know if the building was going to topple over them. They didn’t know if an army was coming or if there was a bomb planted. All they thought about was helping others. They could have ignored the radio and stayed home, but instead, they chose to risk their lives to save people. That’s what makes a Hero.

18. One thing from boat lift that made an impression on me was the fact that all those boats and their captains went to manhattan without hesitation to help evacuate those survivors of the attack. This really touched me because they went there even though they did not know if al Queda would strike again on the boats themselves. Boat lift was pretty much the untold story of these men and women that risked their lives in the aftermath of the attack to rescue all those people.

My definition of a hero is someone who does the right thing and and risks their lives for the greater good. Some body who fits this description is Martin Luther King jr. He fought for civil rights, did demonstrations and speeches all while people were trying to hurt or kill him and his followers.

The quote that connects with me is “ A hero is someone that risks their life for the greater good.” This quote connects with me because all the other quotes don’t make any sense to me. This quote makes sense to me because this is pretty much what every person who is a hero has done.

1. “Boat lift was pretty much the untold story of these men and women that risked their lives in the aftermath of the attack to rescue all those people.”

19. Suddenly a plane slammed into the twin towers on September 11, 2001. The whole city was blacked out with smoke all around. I am so impressed by everyone in BoatLIft worked together that day. Usually there are not people helping each other everyday. It was so good because without everyone working together no one would have come out alive. If people always work together the world would be a much better place. With the people of lower Manhatten working together they made history with the biggest BoatLIft rescue in history beating Dunkirk when British soldiers got a boat lift.

A hero is an ordinary person who sacrifice themselve to save many people. An Afghan soldier saw someone who was going into school with a bomb. The Afghan soldier snuck up and tackled the man with the bomb strapped to him. The bomb blew up and the soldier was killed but the soldier died as a hero and saved a whole school. He was an ordinary person who did the right thing.

I really connected with the forth quote of “A hero is someone who has sacrificed his life for more then one individual. That means a hero is someone who wants to save people. It connects with me because my family would sacrifice themself for me. That is what a real hero would do.

20. When I saw the Boatlift video, my reaction to it was proud. I was so happy to know that people like the ones who saved everyone will always be there to help. It was so amazing that the captains of the ship could evacuate so many people so fast. The people that were trapped in Manhattan were so lucky that the boats came or they could have died. After I saw the video I felt very proud to be an American.

The definition of a hero to me is someone who will do anything, even risk their life, to help others. My personal hero, is Martin Luther King Jr. I would love to thank him so much, because I would not have a lot of my friends with out him. My cousins would be gone with out him. He made me want to grow up and be like him.

Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the ‘hero’ within us is revealed” (Bob Riley). That was my favorite quote out of the four quotes because it means anyone, even you, could be a hero. That quote makes me feel so safe going through my daily life because if I am in trouble anyone could help me.

21. We live in a world where many people are a hero, this is the one fact I am sure of. A video that I watched Boatlift made me at first fell horrible because I thought they would die. The thing that was most important was that they were trying to say was these people are hero because they tried to save people.

What I think is a hero a person who tries to save other people. The people may not seem like a hero but they are. An example of a hero is Martin Luther king because he tried to do what was write.

The coot hard times don’t creat a hero it is during the hard times when the hero within us is revealed. I agree with this because I think that is when Martin Luther King revealed his inner hero. It is also when normal people start trying to save other people.

22. When I finished watching BoatLift, I was shocked that I knew so little about the events on 9/11. I knew that a hijacked plane hit a building and a ton of people died, but I didn’t know that the largest boat evacuation in history followed those events. I thought it was amazing that one radio call could round up so many people in so little time. It’s pretty impressive that all those boats were available at the time of the evacuation. I really enjoyed hearing some of the thoughts of the boaters who came to rescue the survivors. I thought it was very interesting that one of the captains said that pulling into the docks and seeing the people was like seeing a horde of zombies. I thought that was very descriptive, though very sad.

I really like Kid President’s definition of a hero. A hero is just an ordinary person doing extraordinary things. Everyone is a hero, but not everyone knows it. A good example of a hero is Abraham Lincoln. Ever since I did a project on him in the second grade, I admire his bravery and his ability to stand up to things that are wrong. He saved many people that were treated unfairly from slavery, and that meets by definition of a hero.

Joseph Cambell’s hero definition is one that I really admire. Many people have done big things that are larger than theirselves, and those are the people that end up in the history books. Those are the people that shape the clay of the future, and those people are big heroes.

23. While watching BoatLift, the fact that everyone worked together to help people in need no matter what the cost made a major impression on what I thought about New York. First of all, I believed New York to be an overall pretty grumpy city, where almost everyone was selfish and only out for themselves. It made me change my mind when I heard the captain of one of the boats talking about saving the citizens in need, just thinking of how brave he needed to be, driving into an area with bombs going off left and right, picking up as many people he could. All in all, the particular part of the video that made an impression on me was in the beginning, with the man talking about having to save the people suffering, because only then did I realize how that driving his boat into the New York Harbor was such a major act of bravery.

My definition of a hero is someone who in spite of major setbacks, perseveres and overcomes whatever sits in his or her way. A hero in history is George Washington, because even with limited resources and soldiers, he managed to fight for his country successfully with all the heart he had. In conclusion, George Washington is the most important hero in human history, because he fits every description of who I believe a hero to be.

The quote that connected to me personally the most was the one about how a hero is someone, who in spite of obstacles will always persevere. To me it means that no matter what, a hero can be anyone as long as they never give up, no matter the setbacks, or what they do or don’t know. Overall, this quote connects to me the most because it shows that you, or anyone for that matter, is able to be a hero.

24. Something that reflected on me from BoatLift was when the Coast Guard called all the boats in to help rescue everyone in Manhattan. That makes me feel inspired to help people when they need help and to not think of myself as a hero.

My definition of hero is being helpful to people and not thinking that i’m a hero, and just getting the job done. Martin Luther King Jr. is a hero to me because he fought for the right of African American people.

The quote that connects with me in quote B. To me it means that your not thinking of yourself as a hero, you just get the job done.

25. On September 11, 2001, there was a terrible tragedy. The Twin Towers fell, but since Manhattan is an island, and all subways and tunnels were closed, The only way off were the boats. At first, there weren’t enough boats, but when the US Coast Guard made one short call, hundreds of boats came to the rescue. This was the BoatLift of 9-11. If it floated, and it could get there, It got there. This evacuation was bigger than the evacuation in Dunkirk, where about 200,000 men were saved over the course of nine days. In the BoatLift, almost 500,000 people were saved. This took less than nine hours.

The definition of a hero… to me, this means someone who is brave enough to stand his ground, even in the toughest of overwhelming obstacles. Thomas Jefferson fits this description, because when inventing the lightbulb, it took him countless tries. There were many failures, but over time, he finally got it right.

The quote I chose, “A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt, or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway”, connects to me. It does because it defines a true hero. To me, It means To forge onward, even in spite of overwhelming obstacles.

1. “The definition of a hero… to me, this means someone who is brave enough to stand his ground, even in the toughest of overwhelming obstacles.”

26. BoatLift was a video about the water evacuation of 9/11. I had an impression made on me by people actually going to the island to help other people, when they could have just left from the area that was just bombed. The video also gave me a feeling that anyone could be a hero.

My definition of a hero is someone who can risk themselves for someone else when they have the option not to. People like the captains of the boats in BoatLift were heroes because they risked themselves for the other people, and had no idea if another bomb was coming.

I agree with the Joseph Campbell quote. All the other quotes are still great but I can connect with the last one most. The quote is similar to my definition of a hero. Putting yourself to a cause bigger than yourself is defiantly being a hero. A lot of people like police officers and the captains of the boats in BoatLift do this.

27. When I saw the BoatLift video, I saw how much trouble there was that really made a huge impression on me for this video. 500,000 civilians were rescued in less than 9 hours. It just started with a couple of man and their tiny boats I could see that they had so much compassion and bravery in their selves that they went to rescued so many people in such a dangerous place. When I was watching the video their was a man who was being interviewed, he said that his wife called him a maniac and said to him to do something about this. He replied by saying that he will take his boat the “Amber Jack” and rescue the people who are suffering the damage of the attack. He said in the video that even if they attack again he would still go and try to save the people. From their on forward I always taught that any normal person could risk himself and be brave for other people.

The definition of a hero to me is not super humans with laser hands and fire power, to me a hero means a person doing something extraordinary and taking risks that is sometimes death and doing something extraordinary for the public and other public. Martin Luther King Jr. was a person that almost scarified his life for fellow African-Americans and for justice. He went to so many painful things but he never gave up. Martin Luther King Jr. is and will always be my hero.

“Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when when the “hero” within us is revealed”(Bob Riley). This connects with me because, a person is not a hero when he is just born, he becomes a hero when something terrible happens. This quote really defines a hero and really connects with me.

1. “The definition of a hero to me is not super humans with laser hands and fire power, to me a hero means a person doing something extraordinary and taking risks…”

28. Boatlift was a good video. It was very educational. Something that struck me was how all the boats came to help Manhattan. It was great how everyone worked together as a team to help each other get to saftey. Some people risked their lives to save their community. The boats saved 500,000 people in less than 9 hours.

To me a hero is someone who is just an ordinary person. That person does not have to be magical. A hero just needs to believe in himself and believe that helping is the right thing to do. Someone who fits my description is a firefighter. This is because they really believe in themselves and no matter what the conditions are they are willing to help anyone in need.

The one quote I choose from the blog was ” A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt, or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway.” I choose this because a hero does not have to be super. Inspite of someones weakness steps up and fearlessly becomes a hero.

29. The video BoatLift had so many great moments, After the airplane hit the building there were only a few boats to evacuate scared civilians off Manhattan. But then the Coast Guard made a call to all the boats in the area. After a few minutes an army of tug boats came to help evacuate. It made a impression on me because random people came together to help on one cause.

2. Someone who never gives up no matter how hard it is is a hero to me. Someone who shows this is George Washington because he helped so many people and never gave up in anything he did.

3. The quote “hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the ‘hero’ within us is revealed” really speaks to me because applies to anyone.

30. Would you take your boat, go out to an island, and overload your boat with people? This is what many people did on September eleventh, 2001 after the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center in New York City. After the attack thousand of boats received a signal of help from Manhattan. Once the signal was received, thousands of boat drivers came out to help random people. This stood out to me because nobody knew who they were picking up, but they went out and made a monumental difference.

To me a hero is someone who will save whoever they have to or go wherever they must go to do the extraordinary. One person who fits that description is Douglas MacArthur. Douglas MacArthur was a World War 2 general. He fits my definition because he ran out in front of the battlefield along with a few other people and risked his life. When a lot of other soldiers were scared to fight, he was risking his life.

The third quote I can relate to because it means that anyone can be a hero. It doesn’t matter if you can’t run fast or get good grades, you can always do something amazing for other people. All that matters is that you persevere and push through until the end.

31. Boatlift showed me that anybody can be a hero, they just need a chance to be one. When the World Trade Center was hit with 2 airplanes, hundreds of thousands of people were stranded on the south side of Manhatten. There was smoke and dust everywhere, it was like the whole city was a giant chimney. People wanted to get off the island so desperately, some people were jumping into the river and trying to swim across. Boats were evacuating people off the island, but not fast enough. The Coast Guard sent out a radio message, “All available boats, come and help these suffering people.” Within a few minutes, boats were coming in from all directions. Ferries, cruises, and even tugboats were coming to help. As they all came together, many people were evacuated. Boats were almost overflowing with citizens, 500,000 people were evacuated out of Manhatten that day, the largest sea evacuation in history. The captains of each and every one of those boats were heroes, and it was amazing.

A hero is is a person who goes out of their way to be the best person that they can be. They take advantage of their chances to be a better person.

My hero is Evan Longoria of the Tampa Bay Rays. He is a baseball player and he supports animals at animal shelters. He fits my description because he goes out of his way to be a better person to the animals.

“A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness or doubt, goes ahead and overcomes anyways.” I like that phrase because it shows that a hero will be a hero no matter what condition they are in.

32. That one radio call called all those boats. I think that is amazing, this made an impression on me because so many people came together and worked with each other to help other people in need. In my mind everyone that came to help the people in need are heroes. People diving back and forth for nine hours on their own time. They could have had a nice evening, but they helped the people that needed help the most. What happened that day on 9/11 inspired me to do good and help people in need.

My definition of a hero is when a regular person does something good that they didn’t have to do. Martin Luther King Jr. is a hero because he stood up for the right thing. He didn’t need to stand up for the rights for African Americans, but he did. He knew that it was going to be hard, but he stud for what was right and he is a hero to me.

The quote that I connect with is, a hero is someone in spite of weakness and knowing the outcome goes ahead and does what is right. This means a lot to me because in most cases that quote is right in a situation were you want to do the right thing, but your not sure. This quote is very true.

33. All the boats swarmed from the harbor and docks. It seemed like all the boats in the world were heading to one place, Lower Manhattan. In Boatlift video on September eleventh, when the coast guard made one radio broadcast and thousands of ships came with just one broadcast. It shows how ordinary people can be hero’s and there is a hero inside everyone. That made me impressed because random people just got on there boats and worked together to evacuate the city. It is very hard for people to work together in that kind of situation. They still worked together with in a tight situation. All those people are true hero’s.

A hero is selfless and put’s his life endanger for someone else’s. My hero is definitely Marcus Lutriel. He fought off two hundred Taliban with his three other teammates. All his teammates died but he survived. Three kids stumbled upon them and he did not kill them. They let the boy’s go but they told the Taliban they were there. He is my hero because he didn’t care if he died, he cared about the three boy’s lives. That is why he is my hero.

Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the ‘hero’ within us is revealed” (Bob Riley). This means a lot to me because this shows that a hero is born is hard times like on September eleventh. Like in bad times I persevered threw it and helped my friends.

34. Something that made an impression on me from the boat lift, was when the sailor of “Amberjack”told his wife that he was going to go to the pier to save people and she asked him what if they get attacked again and he replied. ” Well,than that’s something I’ll have to live with for the rest of my life,and even if I save one person that’ll be one person that will live and one less person that will suffer.”That made an impression on me because he stepped up and put his life on the line to save other people.

35. All the boats coming together, big or small, made an impression on me. Everybody cared for each other. Even the smallest boats tried to save some people. The boats fit all the people they could, and that made an impression on me, because they were saving complete strangers. 9/11 was horrible and BoatLift made it better for a lot of people.

A hero is someone who does something kind for someone else. A hero could be someone helping another person pick up their books, or giving them an extra dollar. A hero could also be someone who saves the world, but it does not have to be something that big. Some people who I think are hero’s were the random people on the boat in BoatLift who helped the old lady and her seeing-eye dog onto a boat. They could have changed the lady’s life by doing that.

The quote that inspires me is the one about someone who does not always know the answers but overcomes the problem anyway. It connects to me because it is true. It means to me that anyone who knows a problem and tries to solve it is a hero. It means that even a little kid who nobody thinks could solve a problem could if they tried hard and did not give up.

36. Boatlift is a very moving video. I loved when the captains just rushed to save everyone and didn’t care about all the fire and smoke and the things that could hurt them. All they cared about was helping and caring for the people everywhere. It was amazing how all those boats were all going to one place. There was people jumping into the river and some were stranded on the beach. Boat lift showed me that everyone, in their own way could be a hero.

Steve Barton is a hero to me because he is not only a famous painter, but a caring and inspiring person. My family and I met him in Sarasota. He has camps in California for children and invited children who have disabilities that make painting really hard to do.

” A hero is no braver then an ordinary man, but is brave five minutes longer” ( Ralph Waldo Emerson.) This quote is very inspiring to me because it shows that everyone can be a hero, but it takes just a couple more minutes of bravery.

37. Something in Boatlift that made an impression on me because it was inspirational. It shows that one boat can make a difference. I never knew that the boats were shut down and were not saving people. My mom showed me the one video people took inside the towers before they fell. I kept hearing this thump in the background, and she said that it was the people who were trapped upstairs and had decided to jump. The thump was there bodies hitting the ground. It made me sad to know, that not everyone could survive even long enough to get to the end of the island.

My definition of hero is someone who did something to help the future, even if their life depended on it. Laika is one person I call a hero. Actually, she’s a dog. She was the first animal in space. She helped scientists put Armstrong on the moon. Unfortunately, she died from heat exhaust. She will always be remembered because she is a true hero.

My quote is
    “A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt, or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway” (Christopher Reeve)
    I chose this quote because it’s true. It is true because so many people followed what this quote and are heroes. A one of these people is Neil Armstrong Abraham Lincon. They followed this because doing the things they did, there were so many things that that could go wrong, but they did it any way.

38. Something that made an impression on me from Boatlift was how fast all the boats came into the harbor to help.The engineer from one of the boats said he had never seen the boats respond so quickly.The captains of the boats were really brave and helped over 500,00 people that were in distress.

My definition of a hero is an ordinary person that puts the need of others above their own.Someone that is determined to do the right thing,even if it puts themselves in danger. A person that fits my description is Harriet Tubman,a woman that was a slave and escaped,but she still continued to help people by shuttling them down the Underground Railroad,even though she could have been caught.She was very selfless and brave when she did that.

One of the quotes that spoke to me was “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself” I liked that quote because a hero is someone that is very selfless and this quote says that.

39. 1. Even though a hero could be someone who saves the day or someone that is a knight in shining armor I don’t picture a hero like that. I picture a hero as someone that does something that may be small or large that means a lot to someone. This kind of hero could come in any form. It may be something someone says or does and it might even be an author or a poet who wrote something that helped you through something. An author or poet is my definition of a hero because even if they don’t know they are doing it, they could help someone. Like Sharon Draper, she wrote the amazing book Out of My Mind which, along with other people, changed what I thought of people with disabilities and was very inspirational.

2. The quote that meant the most to me is Christopher Reeve’s quote that said “A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt, or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway” because that is part of what I thought a hero was in my statement before. Someone who is an ordinary person that may not know the answers but overcomes anyway is a perfect description of someone like Sharon Draper.

1. ” Even though a hero could be someone who saves the day or someone that is a knight in shining armor I don’t picture a hero like that.”

40. There is a million definitions of a hero but here is mine. A hero is a person who is courageous enough to put someone else’s need before there own. What I mean is a person doesn’t think, they just do the right thing immediately. In my mind, R. Bielsky is a hero because he did not think if he should try to save the Jewish people, he just went and tried his hardest. He risked his life to save other people in need of help. He through all of his needs away, and only though about other peoples needs. This is a true hero to me.

I really connected with the quote that talks about overcoming through hard times. I connected with this quote because I think this is one the main definitions of a hero. This quote stats that you should stay strong and keep going.

41. The video Boatlift was very interesting because when ever you hear about 9/11 you only hear about the planes going into the Twin Towers but you never hear what happened after, this video tells the watcher what happened after. After the news covered the story of 9/11 people that watched it and happened to live in New York near the Manhattan area they saw it they knew that they had to do some thing to help. They took their boats and went to the Manhattan coast and got people off of the island. Once one person came, more and more came. They got as many people off Manhattan as they possibly could.

My definition of a hero is someone who puts others needs in front of their own needs, not only does a hero do that they also help those that need it and stand up for what they believe. My hero is Martin Luther King Jr. He was an amazing person because he stood up for his rights and he helped people and put their needs in front of his needs, and that is why he is a hero in my opinion.

Out of the three quotes I like the one that says that hard times don’t create a hero but hard times bring out the hero with in us. I like that statement because it says that anyone can be a hero. Which is true anyone can be a hero. Being a hero doesn’t mean you have to do something fantastically amazing, it can just be helping someone that fell and got hurt, so it is true anyone can be a hero.

1. “Being a hero doesn’t mean you have to do something fantastically amazing, it can just be helping someone that fell and got hurt, so it is true anyone can be a hero.”

42. It is amazing how much we care about each other, even if we don’t show it all the time. In the video BoatLift, boats came from miles around to help people get away from the twin towers collapsing on 9/11. After I finished the video, I was left thinking about how many people put their life in danger, just to save everyone else. Those people who boated in to help rescue people from lower Manhattan could have been hurt if the planes attacked again, but they still did it, which is amazing.

A hero is someone who puts other people before him or her. to me doctors are heroes. not just because they “save lives” and tell you when your sick, but because they take the time to look at each of their patients and really, really, try to find out what is wrong with them so they can be happy.

“Hard times don’t create heroes. Heroes are inside of us and in hard times they come out.” I really enjoy that quote because it is very true to me. I believe what it says because everyone has a hero inside them, just waiting to come out.

43. The definition of a hero in my point of view is someone who stands up for something that he/she belives in. Like Martin Luther King Jr with his words of wisedom and Rosa Parks with her sitting in the front of the bus and did not move and got sent to jail just for sitting in the front of a bus. They both stud up for african american people and changed the world just by one action.

The quote that stud out at me was the one by Bob Riley ”Hard times don’t create heroes. It’s during the hard times when the’hero’ within us is revealed”. I liked that quote because this completly descride a hero in my point of view like in a battle the hero come out in you.

44. A hero can be many things,thought as a different thing by everyone.To me,strength makes a hero,not physical strength,but strength of will.A example of that is Rosa Parks,if you don’t know Rosa was a black woman on a bus when a young white man came and demanded her to give him her seat, she refused.This was in a time when if that happened,the offender would go to jail,and that’s what happened.She didn’t let go of her seat until she was hauled off to prison.And even though the man gave her a warning that if she didn’t go he would call the police,but she stood on her ground and her rights.She didn’t back down,and that is what made her a hero.

The poem that connects to me spoke about how a hero gives their life to a greater cause.Rosa Parks did that when she accepted getting arrested to stand by her rights.Later,she caused a change in the world.But even if she didn’t,she still gave her life to her rights and that is why she is a hero.If someone gives their life to a better cause,they show great selflessness by giving up their life or freedom.Rosa was a normal woman,until she gave her life to a greater cause and became a hero in history.

45. My definition of a hero is someone who thinks of other people and even if they could get hurt they do it anyway for example the guy from Boat Lift that own”Amberjack” he is a hero to me because he went back and saved people from the scene and even though he could have gotten killed he still went back and saved people and that to me is a hero.

The quote that speaks to me is the one by Bob Riley “hard times don’t create heroes.It is during the hard times that the ‘hero’ within us comes out.”

46. Something that left an impression from the video BoatLift was that so many boats came to help evacuate Lower Manhattan. Everybody helped one another get into the boat. Another thing I saw was a bunch of people carried an old lady and her German Shepard into the boat. It was amazing, it was the most people evacuated since World War 2 and that took 9 days, but this only took about 9 hours.

What makes a great hero is a person that that helps people in need or even in danger. My hero is the Army. They are my hero because every day they put their lives ahead of our lives to protect us. I know that some of them do not return and their families miss them but they still go out there.

My favorite quote for a definition of a hero is about the hard times don’t create hero’s, it is during the hard time the ‘hero’ within us is revealed. That is my favorite because it is just like the army when they are attacked they are better than normal. It also means that you are an hero inside but when they need help you jump into an hero.

47. I love a good hero. My definition of a hero is one who never gives up. I have one person that represents my definition of a hero. Michael Phelps is my definition of a hero because he was going to retire and came back because he believed he could do it. That is so brave to me because he knew there were a lot of competitive swimmers out there but he is willing to take that risk and I believe that ha can and I will try to be just like him and never give up. I am also going to try every time to never give my opponent the gold. Never give it to them, but make them fight for it. I will never give up and try to be a hero just like Michael Phelps.

My favorite quote is the one that talks about devoting his or her life to something bigger than oneself. That one speaks to me because one friend of mine would give her life to me. That sentence describes my friend at so many levels and that speaks to me. That friend is one of my closest. And that sentence speakers to me with a loud voice. And my friend would think that sentence describes me also.

48. When the Twin Towers fell on 9/11 it was terrifying for the people in Manhattan. It was terrifying for them because didn’t know what was going on or where they were going they went to the sides of Manhattan they just wanted to get off Manhattan so people started to jump off the sides of Manhattan and swim for it.
    I think a hero is someone who puts someone else before them self.

49. Heroes can be anyone and everyone even the most normal of people, Boatlift is a good example of that. On 9/11 after the World Trade Center went down all ways out of New York City closed down except for the harbor. Thousands of people rushed to get there to get to what was going to be the biggest rescue by boat ever. Many people risked there lives to rescue all those people, 500,000 of them, and for nine hours boats went back and forth to rescue everyone they could. Even if only one person was saved that would have been one less casualty.

Heroes are people that risk there lives to make the world safer. People like police officers and fire fighters risk there lives to rescue innocent people. Sometimes they die but they want to save anyone they can.

The truest quotes is that hard times don’t make heroes, It is hard times that make the hero within us is revealed. It is human nature to rescue innocent people if they can. No matter who it is.

50. I can not believe what happened in 9/11, the Boatlift was the true show of heroes. All these boats came and heard about the twin towers and how many people were in trouble. The people that had boats jumped in the boats and helped. Those people are risking their lives for other people. My reaction to this was just tears, I started to tear up just thinking about people getting hurt. The Boatlift is a true heart warming video.

My definition of a hero is someone who can help people and bring joy to people that are in trouble. Doctors are heroes to me because they save peoples lives everyday. When I was in the hospital after a surgery they gave me a stuffed animal and made me one of the happiest girls in the hospital. I still have that stuffed animal in my room. Doctors are help to everybody and definitely my heroes.

One of my favorite hero quotes is “A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer” (Ralph Waldo Emerson). To me it means that when you or someone around you helps out someone or does something courageous but he gets the thanks. This quote stands out to me because it’s a little confusing and I like quotes you have to think about. This quote could also be help to people to remind them to always be thankful and courageous.