What Makes a Hero?

Students, please write three (3) good paragraphs each beginning with a creative lead sentence. Put a double space between prompts to indicate a new paragraph…I do not want to read one huge block of text.

1. Reflect on something from BoatLift  that made an impression on you.

2. What is your definition of a hero? Think and give an example of someone who fits your description. (No family or friends)

3. From the quotes below, which one do you connect with? What does it mean to you? (Be sure to indicate which quote you have chosen.)

(A) A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer” (Ralph Waldo Emerson).

(B) Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the ‘hero’ within us is revealed” (Bob Riley).

(C) A  hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt, or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway” (Christopher Reeve).

(D)

Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 8.57.18 AM

1. In the video, BoatLift, I was touched by how many people boated over to Manhattan to help. When one boat called a radio signal for help, boats from everywhere fled to come and get people to safety. The part that was most moving to me was when a man was going to risk his life for the people and no one could stop him. All he cared about was getting the people of Manhattan to safety. He was motivated. One of the boaters quoted, “I have worked at many marinas and I have never seen so many boats come together in my whole life. Everyone was helping each other and that is what I most admired.”

A hero is someone who puts someone else’s needs before his or hers. A hero means you would put himself or herself in danger for someone. A hero cares. Policemen are true heroes. They work day and night protecting our communities so to keep us safe. Those Officers could die or get severely injured while doing their job. You might wonder why they do it. It is for us.

The quote that stands out for me is the one about thinking about others before yourself. It means that you are a kind, generous, and thoughtful. Being thoughtful is not always easy. To be a hero you need to learn those character traits.

2. Boat Lift, this is really interesting at least hear me out. I could read about this all day, you may think of 9/11 of “oh that plane hit the twin towers,” but this changes every thing you’ve thought about 9/11 have you ever wondered about what after 9/11 well I have an I found out. Right after the first plane crashed people panicked and wanted to leave as soon as the smoke hit the ground, many many boats came to save thousands of people. I was shocked because I never knew the other side to this story.

A hero is someone who fights something that they believed should be stopped or is willing to risk their life to make it stop. My hero is someone many kids believe in and was a role model, her name is Talia Joy Castellano she fought hard on child hood cancer and sadly died, she was a cover girl, and 13 years old when she dies. Her dream was to make young children suffer no more of child hood cancer.

I can relate to the hard times one, because when my dad was in the hospital I cooked for my family. It means a lot to me because I look back at that and I was seven and being really mature and caring a lot for my family.

1. “A hero is someone who fights something that they believed should be stopped or is willing to risk their life to make it stop.”

3. 9/11 is such a sad event, but there’s more. Some people may have not known this. When the plane crashed in the twin tower there was ashes and dust, and pieces of the building and plane flying every were. So many people wanted to leave but there was no transportation. So the
    boatlifts drivers said why not take every body on the boats to somewhere safe. But there where to many people getting on this one boat so they called all the boats that were available out on the sea to help them. Then less the 20 minutes there were some many boats, some people never seen this many boats. My reaction was these people are saving peoples lives and risking their own lives.

What is a hero? A hero is someone risking there life to save another life or standing up for there rights. All the people who saved or help people in 9/11 are hero’s to me. They are hero’s because they saved other peoples lives instead of theirs. They are a big influences to me. Somebody once said if you see somebody in need help them if you don’t you will have regrets for the rest of you life. And these people did that and they have no regrets and they know that they are a hero’s.

” A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something much bigger than oneself” (Joseph Campbell). This quote says that it only takes one person to give there life to something bigger then he or her. It’s like saying I would take a bluet for you. It talks to me because I heard some many story’s that people have told me when somebody else save another’s life. And one day I would take a bluet for someone and know that I did something good and have no regrets.

4. I think the two people who went to help all the the ebolia patients are Heroes because they risked their life to help others, they even caught the disease. hey helped the patients but giving them possible cures. They put some into emergency care.

“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself” Joseph Campbell said and made that my favorite quote. I was at the pool one day and a little boy was drowning but a stranger jumped in and pulled him out and saved him. He was a true hero. Heroes are people that you may never expect like a stranger.

5. In Boatlife what really made an impression on me is the part where all of the boats came to rescue the people on the island. I like how people really cared for the people suffering on the island and wanted to help. It’s so cool how 50,000 people were saved in less then 9 hours. Its amazing how people really care when there is a emergency.

My definition of a hero is when somebody does something extraordinary. A doctor is a hero because they help people with there needs and save people. Doctors make people feel a lot better. They make a big difference in peoples lives and help people from a serious injury. They work as hard as they can for someone to make them better.

The quote “Hard times don’t create hero’s. It is during the hard times when the ‘hero’ within us is revealed.” I like that quote because its saying that you might not think you’re a hero but when the hard times come the hero finally opens up. I like how its saying that everybody at times is a hero. This quote makes me think of how everybody has a hero inside us and its just waiting for the right time to be revealed.

1. “I like that quote because its saying that you might not think you’re a hero but when the hard times come the hero finally opens up.”

6. So many people just don’t care, so it amazes me that so many people went to rescue the people stuck on Manhattan, when they could have been killed in the process. It also shocked me that the men and woman who went to save people kept going back. More selfish people could have said, there are enough boats now, I can stop. But instead they went back and forth for nine hours. Nine hours is so long that I can not even start to imagine the people that stayed on the island for that long, and didn’t go crazy.

Many people think, someone else will do it. Five short simple words, but when they are put together, they form one of the worst sentences I can think of. A hero is someone that doesn’t think that. They think, I will do it, and if someone else does it too, then someone else does it too.
    The African American teenagers that would not stop trying to go to school are heroes. They set an example that has lasted decades, They put themselves at risk to benefit all the other African Americans in the country.

I loved the quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson about a person that is brave for five minuets longer. I like it because it really describes my feelings about what makes a hero, and what a hero is.

1. “A hero is someone that doesn’t think that. They think, I will do it, and if someone else does it too, then someone else does it too.”

7. Boom dust flies everywhere in Manhattan and the only way out is the water. Citizens are scrambling everywhere trying to get on ferry boats or jumping in the water and swimming away. The part that speaks to me in the 9/11 BoatLift is when they make the radio call to the boats. This speaks to me because if the captains hadn’t made that radio call not as many people would have lived. Once they made that call the boats just came swarming in and they were getting everybody they could. That part really spoke to me because that call changed the fact that 50,000 people lived instead of died. This was the biggest boat rescue and it all happened because of one radio call.

Bold, caring, savior that’s what I think of when I hear hero. A hero is someone who saves and helps others. Would you want to work around fire? Probably not,but firefighters work around fire everyday. Firefighters are my hero because they walk into burning buildings to save people and animals and they have to put others lives before theirs.

“A hero is one who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” This quote really connects to me because it sounds like they’re trying to save much more people before saving themselves. It also means to me that a hero is someone who puts a giant situation like the titanic and just try’s to put as many people in lifeboats as they can and they don’t think about what if I don’t even get in a lifeboat.

8. BoatLift is a wonderful video that we watched before today. Something that really made an impression on me was how complete strangers, ordinary people with boats, were saving thousands of people from 9/11. It really amazed me how these totally ordinary people, complete strangers to the people that they were saving, could suddenly turn into heroes that saved so many people.

There can be a lot of things that can define a hero. What I think of a hero is somebody who gives everything to others, stands up for what they believe in, and thinks less of themselves and more of other’s needs. A hero doesn’t have to be famous or a brave, admired person. A hero could just be a regular person who cares for others. Some people are heroes and they don’t even realize it.

I think that Martin Luther King, Jr. is a hero. He knew that it would be dangerous, but he stood up for African-American rights anyway. He much lessened racism and made people realize that skin color doesn’t matter. He even died for what he believed. He was a very prominent hero in history.

1. “What I think of a hero is somebody who gives everything to others, stands up for what they believe in, and thinks less of themselves and more of other’s needs.”

9. Tragic, that’s how I would described BoatLift. This film was tragic because it made me feel very worried and sad for everyone in the area. I felt depressed because everyone was scared. Also parents where trying to protect there children by wrapping them in there arms and holding them. I think everyone who went out in the boat back in forth to save them were heroes. I believe they were heroes because they were willing to rise there lives for others. At the end of the film I thought about how I could be a hero. And I also thought about how much bravery it takes to go to the area where the bomb went off instead of run away.

My definition of a hero is someone who tries to make peoples lives better. They don’t have to be saving your life. Just making it better by caring for you, helping you, and being there for you when you need it the most. Heroes make memories in your life. My hero is doctors because without them there would be so many huge problems in our world. Doctors take so much time and patience to help our world by making people healthier.

A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness and doubt, or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway. This speaks to me because it’s tells me that heroes don’t know what’s coming ahead but they attempt to save you anyways. I love this quote because I feel like the author meant every word that he said. That’s why I chose this sentence.

10. When I think of Boatlift I think boat which is right except when 9/11 happened there was more than just one boat. The Boatlift occurred when one captain on one of the boats rescuing people sent out an intercom call to all these boats and they all came. To me the best thing about this is even though a tragic thing just happened everyone was helping each other and that is the best cure when something like 9/11 happens. Who knows you could be standing next to someone who just lost someone that they loved.

When hero comes up in a conversation in my head I’m thinking of someone who shows others no matter how much they have to make the most of it. My hero is a six year old named Shakina she passed away from a brain tumor at six. She didn’t have much money she was my dad’s patient. One day she told my dad that she had always wanted to go to the mall my dad went and got a nurse and two one hundred dollar bills and said take her to the mall. To me she was a hero because she showed me even though she didn’t have much she always lived life to the fullest and never complained.

I connect most with the quote with hard times don’t create heroes. I connect with this because I think it is so true because even if you fall on hard times it doesn’t mean your a hero it is only when you fall on those hard times you become the hero. I think this is a really good quote.

1. ” To me she was a hero because she showed me even though she didn’t have much she always lived life to the fullest and never complained.”

11. BoatLift was so inspiring. I did not know that any people would help one another in a time of crisis. I really loved when the emergency was called through the radio to other boats, and a lot of boats stopped what they were doing and went to help people in need. The captains and crew members of all the tugboats, ships, and even recreational boats were heroes. They put total strangers before themselves. Instead of evacuation to get away from the dust, they saved the people in fear of their life. Every person should watch this video. BoatLift would impact them in so many ways.

A hero is anyone who can overcome the tallest obstacles. They could be a victim of bullying who doesn’t give up their life just because one rude person harasses them. One hero, in my opinion, is Gabby Douglas, the first African-American gold medalist for gymnastics. She has been called racist things, she overcame a fatal blood disease when she was a baby, and when she was younger, she lived in a van. I am not saying that she is a hero because she is famous, or because she is my favorite Olympic gymnast. I am calling her a hero because she has overcame hard times and challenging obstacles, but she didn’t give up pursuing her dream of being in the Olympics.

“A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt, or not knowing the answers,
    goes ahead and overcomes anyways” is definitely a true statement. This means if someone isn’t confident about something, they will try anyways. It doesn’t matter if you fail. At least you tried, and hopefully, you tried your best. This happened to me in karate, when I wasn’t sure if I could break two boards. I believed in myself, and I finally did it on the third try. It feels great when you overcome something you weren’t sure of. Even if you fail, try it one more time.

12. A hero is someone that is brave enough to take the chances. Firefighters and police officers, I think are heroes because the take chances almost everyday just to save the day. They go against huge fires and criminals not know what is going to happen to them in the end. Think about someone wanting to go and risk the chances of going into a burning building. Maybe someone wanting to go risk the chances of arresting a criminal. Those people take so many chances just for others happiness.
    I can connect to the quote that talks about that says a hero isn’t always going to know the answers but overcomes it anyway. I think that one is the best because it’s very true. The hero just doesn’t care about how weak he or she is, he or she just wants to do it anyway.

13. A hero is someone who’s brave, bold, and not afraid. Heroes are people who puts someone else’s feelings or safety before theres. Policeman are amazing heroes. They go out everyday risking there lives so that everyone in the community is safe. Policeman are so brave and strong. I can’t believe that everyday they go out into the world with no fear.

“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” That is a hero. To me, this quote explains exactly what a hero is. A hero is someone who dedicates the life to someone else other than them self.

14. Boat lift,made an Impression on me because when the men who used there fishing boats as safety boats. That really touched me because most of the people who where in New York where just going to work or where at work just minding there on business and got rescued. When one boat almost sunk one of the boats rescued the people on it and the captain.

‘A hero is somebody who overcomes the worst part of there life’ Bethany Hamilton. Bethany Hamilton lost her arm while surfing in a shark accident. Now she has been in two movies ‘Soul Surfer’ and ‘Dolphin tale 2’, she overcame the worst part in her life.

My favorite quote is the one by ‘Joseph Campbell’ because it is true,the way he wrote it is inspiring to know that you can be ‘bigger than oneself’. You can complete something bigger than you, you just have to try bigger than ordinary.

15. I loved how when the coast guard called all boats to come to Manhattan so many boats responded. They saved so many people and it made a big impression on me. I thought it was really emotional when there was just this scene of a bunch of boats on the horizon coming to save the people. I also really liked how everyone was helping everyone. Out of all of the video I think everything ended really well.

A hero is someone who does something that will affect other people and things in a good way. I think anyone could be a hero. A doctor is a hero because the doctor devotes there life to helping others. The person you are standing next to could be a hero. A doctor could be a hero just bye helping someone cross the street.

The quote by Bob Riley really connects with me. It really connects with me because I feel like it is very true. Also it happens a lot to people all around the world. It seems very emotional to me. I love the line,”the hero within as is revealed.” That is my favorite quote.

16. One of the men from the video who was there to help rescue people really had an impression on me because the fact that he went to rescue people and he knew he was risking his life inspires me so much. He knew that he had a family and a wife at home waiting for him. They were probably worried sick but the fact that he was willing to go into the mess where everything bad was happening showed kindness in that man.

A hero is someone who takes their own time to help others. Like a firefighter who risks their lives and goes into fires. Most firefighters have someone at home who is probably worried sick about their loved one who is risking everything they have to save other people life’s. Anyone can be a hero as long as they are willing to think about other people. A selfish person would make a horrible hero.

A hero is someone who devotes their time to something bigger then themselves. If anyone ever wanted to be a hero they would have to care about other people. Most super hero movies show a good hero but everyone knows it is just a movie. If someone wanted to be a real hero they need to be themselves and be kind. Don’t try to act as a hero be a hero.

1. “They were probably worried sick but the fact that he was willing to go into the mess where everything bad was happening showed kindness in that man.”

17. BoatLift is a very emotional story about the bombing of 9/11 and how just one person made a change. What made an impression on me (it literally made me cry) was when the one man thought, “Hey, there are people that need help. Even if I only save one person, that one more person that doesn’t have to suffer.” He was willing to use his boat and travel back and forth all day, ferrying people across a harbor to save them from the smoke and harmful gasses. Doing that inspired the coastguard to call out on a radio, telling anyone that if they had a boat and if they wanted to help, come and help evacuate lower Manhattan. There were hundreds of boaters who were inspired to come and help because of one person.

To me, a hero is someone who can overcome things bigger than anyone can believe, puts other’s worries and problems before theirs, and does things that they don’t need to, just to help someone out. To me a hero is a normal person who feels the need to do something for someone else. To me a hero is someone like a teacher. Teachers aren’t the kind of people that would battle dragons to save princesses, or do anything that everyone thinks a hero does. A teacher feels the need to teach children about the kinds of things they will need to know in life. They put children’s needs in front of theirs. A hero could be anyone. A hero could be you.

The quote that speaks to me is Ralph Waldo Emerson’s quote about how any normal man is a hero. I think that this quote is totally true. A hero is basically just a normal person that takes risks for someone else. A can be any person that is inspired to help people, even if it means almost dying, or sometimes just if it means that who ever they are helping will have a better life.

1. I love how your example of a hero is so simplistic, yet so truthful. A teacher is a hero, though I never really thought about it until now, when you brought it to my attention.

18. When the boats were crashing down in the 911 video, I had know idea what was happening. Apparently, part of 911 was left out of the whole story. There was boats everywhere that were picking people up by the water because Manhattan is surrounded by water. There was not enough boats to pick people up people and take to the other side, so the coast guard spoke in the radio saying, “If there are any boats by Manhattan please come and help” and ten minutes later there was boats everywhere.

A hero is a person who risk their self for thousands of other people. In my example this hero doesn’t save thousands of lives, she just saves my moms life. My mom was covered in tears because hear father was going to die. The lady at the desk said, “I will reroute you so you don’t need to stop in Manhattan. Five hours later the plane my mom was going to get on crashed into the World Trade Center.

Ralph Waldo Emerson connected with me. That phrase reminded me of when the lady saved my moms life. That one small five minutes saved my mom. That is a true hero even tho she didn’t do that on purpose.

19. A hero to me is someone who puts there life on the line to help others. “Boat-lift” is a very inspiration video. I had a connection with this video, my families friend worked at the building that had been hit. One Morning she was trying to park in the parking lot underneath the building when she got this phone call. She answered it and it was a worker who was working on the inside of her house but he didn’t have a key to get in, so she decided to drive back home. By the time she was pulling into her drive way the planes had crashed into the building. My mother and I were watching the news while all of this was happening. My mother was calling and calling her. If she didn’t get that phone call she would have been dead. It was the scariest thing of my life.

A Hero is someone who puts there life on the line for others. A hero to me is someone you does community work all the time. She helps children have food and homeless people have clothes. She works so hard for everyone one even people she doesn’t no before her. I have always thought of her as a hero and I always will.

A quote that I believe in “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger then oneself”. That is like the people that had boats in New York at the terrible time. Everyone who had a boat went back and forth taking people far, far away from New York. That is just amazing to me.

20. A hero is not defined as someone who saves the princess from the tower, or someone who slays the dragon. A hero is someone who risks themselves for someone else. “Boat-lift” was a very inspirational and amazing story. All of the people who came together that day didn’t have to, they were true heroes. These people were extremely brave and courages. I could never have done something like that.

A hero is someone who puts themselves before others. I have a few people who would be my heroes. For example, the passengers and crew one the fourth flight of 9/11 were all amazing, strong, brave, and selfless people. They risked there lives for whoever would have died when that plane crashed, and they might have event saved the president. Most people believe the plane was aimed to hit the white house. Others thought that it would hit the whole city of Washington D.C.. These people were so brave to take control of the flight, and crash it into a field in Pennsylvania.

A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself. this quote really speaks to me because this basically is my definition of a hero. I love that an average person like me, could do something extraordinary. All I would have to do was put other people before me. It’s un believable that some average people like the ones in boat-lift cold do something so brave.

1. “A hero is not defined as someone who saves the princess from the tower, or someone who slays the dragon. A hero is someone who risks themselves for someone else.”

21. What mad an impression on me from the Boat Lift video was when one person called on the radio and boats from everywhere came over. It made me feel happy that these boaters wanted to help others in trouble. When the boats got over to the coast and everyone was waiting to get on, they helped others onto the boat nicely and safely. It surprised me how helpful people were being to save lives.

My definition of a hero is when people put others problems before themselves. My heroes are firefighters because they have to go in burning buildings, save lives, and put down fires all at once. Being a firefighter seems like a big job, especially since they put others before themselves. That describes my definition of a hero, being unselfish and helpful to others.

I connect with the quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson. I agree with it because it means that not everyone is brave but they act like it anyways. To me it also means that helping out won’t hurt anything. It reminds me of when I act like I’m strong to help even if I’m not. Helping out is always a good thing to do.

22. The definition of a hero to me is someone who can inspire you to do or says something you know you should be doing. Someone who fits my definition of a hero to me is Lucy Hale. Her main career is acting, and most people know her as an actress, but she just released an album. Some people tell her she isn’t good at singing, but she is still doing it. Lucy’s a hero to me because she obviously doesn’t let people tell her not to do things her heart is telling her to do.

I can connect with Christopher Reeve’s quote because It seems adventurous, and I think of myself as an adventurous person. High or low. Near or far, I will go anywhere. Christopher Reeve’s quote speaks to me because I really love the message that it sends out. Its like saying you’re going on this huge adventure, not knowing if you would come back, like in the Hobbit.

23. In BoatLift, something that made an impression on me was how so many people could come and rescue over 400,000 people in less than nine hours. As soon as he put out that radio call, boats started coming in, and there were a lot of boats! It surprised me that it was a bigger rescue than of World War II when nearly 399,000 people were rescued in nine days! It made made me think of how many people would do something good for the New Yorkers in Manhattan.

My definition of a hero is someone that sacrifices something for someone else. An example of a hero would be anyone, like a normal everyday person. If they put their needs before their own, like if someone needs help opening the door because there hands are full, open it, it doesn’t have to be something big, it just has to be someone who does the right thing.

My favorite quote is the one by Joseph Campbell, when he says that a hero is someone that is bigger than an ordinary person. To me this means that a hero is just someone who is good and has done something nice and puts someone else’s needs before their own.

1. “To me this means that a hero is just someone who is good and has done something nice and puts someone else’s needs before their own.”

24. Boatlift is a video about the evacuation of Manhattan on 9-11-01. There was different people talking about how they had helped the evacuation. There was one gentlemen who was talking about how he had brought his boat down and helped. Something that he said really spoke to me, he said “I never want to go through life saying I should have if you want to do something do it.” That inspired me because sometimes I want to do things for people but I’m scared to, so when I want to do things but I’m scared I will remember what he said.

Anyone can be a hero. A hero is someone who stands up for what they believe in even if it will result in something bad. Being a hero could even be an kid who helps a younger kid find a toy they lost. You can be a hero to anybody you don’t even have to do something that will change the world. My friends are Hero’s to me because they are always there for me. They can always make me smile when I’m mad or upset. They make my whole life more interesting and fun.

I like the quote from Bob Riley. I like that one because it is very inspiring. It tells you that you are already a hero but you just need something to bring it out of you. If something that happens that makes you upset or scared you should do as much as you can about it. You are a hero to someone.

1. “That inspired me because sometimes I want to do things for people but I’m scared to, so when I want to do things but I’m scared I will remember what he said.”

25. It made me feel proud of the people on the boats who were risking there lives to bring people to safety. I wish everybody was like that because the world would be a much happier place if people cared for each other. It’s very shocking to know that people get joy when they bring misery to lives.

My definition of a hero is a person who goes out of there way to help you. A hero doesn’t have to save your life or defeat an evil villain. It can just be a person who holds the door for you. An example of a hero is a person who donates money to charities.

Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the ‘hero’ within us is revealed” (Bob Riley). I like that quote because when one of my friends was in the hospital, a person came three hours away to go see her and cheer her up. That person spent three hours to just go and make that little girl happy. It’s very important to have people like that in the dark times that try to make everything a little bit better.

26. The way hundreds of boats came in ten minutes of the radio to rescue the people surprised me. I would think twenty maybe thirty privately owned boats would come. I didn’t think thousands would come I didn’t think there was even one hundred boats near Manhattan. The boaters that came to rescue the people in Manhattan were courageous and heroic.

A hero to me is someone who risks there life to save other people from danger. And by that I mean not just there family’s but complete strangers. Someone that is a hero is someone in the military. Because they risk their life every day to protect us from enemies. A hero is also someone who would give up every thing they have to save an animals life.

” a hero is someone who has
    given his or her life to
    Something bigger than
    oneself “.
    Joseph Campbell

I chose this quote because it basically sumirises most of what I wrote exept it is more straight forward.

27. The biggest thing that made an impression on me in the boatlift video is the fact that people just went to help one another, they weren’t told and had no reason to risk their lives for others, but the people went and helped people to safety.

My definition of a hero is someone who risks their lives for others, they always help the weak and hurt, like firefighters, police, and a lot more.

I like the first quote the most, “A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt, or not knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway.” I like this quote because I’ve seen this example in many books and movies, the hero is never always sure of what he/she is going to do, until something in the plot makes them know, it’s the same in real life, if you see someone and they are struggling with someone/something or are sad and so on, you don’t know what to do until you ask them.

1. “My definition of a hero is someone who risks their lives for others, they always help the weak and hurt, like firefighters, police, and a lot more.”