Someone’s Having A Birthday!

Students, this prompt has to do with the independent reading book you are currently reading.

Please choose a character from your book that you know well and pretend that it is his/her/its birthday. Based on what you know about this character from your reading, what would be the ultimate birthday gift? Remember, a gift doesn’t have to be something that you see. Explain why the gift you chose for this character is the perfect gift for him/her/it based on what you know from the story. Remember to give the character’s name and title of the book. (One quality paragraph)

************************************************************************************************************

I want to create a summer reading list for next year’s students based on your recommendations, and I need your help.

Please tell me your top two favorite books so far this year. (Title and author) In three sentences or less, write a general summary of the book (no spoilers) and indicate the intended audience. (Kind of like a book review) (Two short paragraphs)

1. In the book Peter Pan, Peter Pan is a magical kid who never wants to grow up. Peter’s birthday is coming up and I plan on getting him the ultimate birthday present. I was thinking of all the different things he owns and things that relate to what he owns, and what he doesn’t have. I was thinking to myself that Peter never wants to grow up. He wants to stay a kid forever, so maybe I could find some type of magical mirror where he can see what life would be when he is older. Then he could realize that growing old is not such a bad experience. The wonderful adventures and memories he could make as he ages would be well worth knowing.

My favorite book is definitely the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I liked this book because it was really exciting, and had non-stop action, and a bit of romance. I would absolutely recommend this book; it is a very well written book. It is a book that can keep the readers interest and would be difficult to put down.

My other favorite book was, Matched by Suzanne Collins. Cassia is the main character in the book that is going to get her Match at the Match Banquet. Matched is a well-written and good love story with lots of twists and turns.

2. Jonah’s is a character from the book “Sent” by Margaret Peterson Haddix. If I was invited to his birthday party I would give him is a nice card, with the date he was abducted from his time. Jonah was snatched from his time period and he has no memory of when this happened. My ultimate present would be an Elucidator. With the date and the Elucidator he could travel back to his rightful place in time and see the impact he had on history.

My favorite book this year was “The Hunger Games” (THG) by Suzanne Collins. The THG is about dystopian society that treats all its citizens like slaves except for the ones that live in the capital. In the book we get to know this society better through the eyes Katniss Everdeen who goes through unimaginable trials. THG is the first book in a three book series and very exciting.

Another book I enjoyed this year was “The Alchemyst” by Michael Scott. This book is a historical fiction that is the first book of a series called “The Alchemyst Series”. In the book we get to know a teenage brother and sister with unique mystical powers that develop in the story. The are challenged and helped by fictional characters who are named after real life historical figures.

3. At the moment, I am reading “Catching Fire” by Suzanne Collins. The main character of the book is Katniss Everdeen. If Katniss could have anything in the world, it would be for the Capitol to leave her alone. She thought everything was going to be good until they came back asking her personal questions. So I’d probably give Katniss some magical machine that can transport her, her house, and her family and friends to a place that is safe and sound.

My favorite book of the year is “Divergent” by Veronica Roth. Divergent is a utopian based book about a kid who is blessed with a special gift. Because of this gift, she is in a lot of trouble, so she has to be very cautious. Divergent is intended of teenagers and is a very exiting novel.

Another good book I read this year was “Legend” by Marie Lu. This was another book based on a utopian society. It was based on a kid who had to leave his home because he became a criminal. He makes a lot of dangerous choices to avoid the police. This book is intended for young teenagers and is a great novel.

4. It is now Will Burrows birthday from the Tunnels series. What I think that Will would like for a birthday present is to find his father Dr. Burrows who was captured by the Styx (who are like the bad police) and taken down to a place called the Deeps which is located in an underground world type thing and Will needs to go down there and find his dad and stop a virus that the Styx have let out to kill all of the colonists (average people) so that they can rule the underground world and advance to the normal world with Rebecca (their ruler). Will need to find his dad who will help him find out all of the answers to his questions and help him figure out why the Styx are trying to take over. So I would get Will a special GPS tracking device to help him find out where his dad is in the Deeps.
    If I could select two of my favorite books I would recommend The Last Apprentice series by Joseph Delaney and the Tunnels series by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams. Tunnels is about two best friends one of which who’s dad gets captured by underground secret police who are trying to find the dad who was captured and help the world from being destroyed by the Styx. The Last Apprentice os about a boy named Thomas who is a seventh son of a seventh son who is training to be a Spook (someone who fights the dark) who meets a lot of bumps in the road who has to kill the Fiend before the Fiend kills him. (Intended audiences for both of these books: 5-8th grade)

P.S. Sorry I could not figure out how to italicize the book titles.

5. Jace Herondale’s 17th birthday is coming up and he has invited me to a birthday party. For his birthday I have decided to give him his real father and mother back from the dead because he never meet them. Also, he had thought his father was two other people and has had a hard life. Jace is a character from ‘The City of Fallen Angels.’

One of my favorite books that I read I the school year was ‘City of Bones’ by Cassandra Clare. It a great book for boys and girls like the Hunger Games. The City of bones is about girl named Clay who goes to a club with a friend one night and sees a group of teenagers kill a blue haired boy and, so when the killer see that she sees them they take her to there home. As soon as they walk out the club see find out her mother has been kidnapped. And so Clary and the Shadowhunters go on a action- packed investigation to find Clary’s mother.

Another Great book I read over the school year is the ‘Roar’ by Emma Clayton it is great book and because the way Emma Clayton tells the story allows you to see it as a movie. Also, it another one of those books that is not just for on gender its great for girls and boys. It is about a set of twins named Mika and Ella who are separated because a cruel man named Mal Gorman wants to experiment with a new race of humans he calls mutants. So , five years after Mika‘s sister was kidnapped he sets out to find her.

6. The book I just finished is called “The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie” by Alan Bradley. The main character is Flavia de Luce. It’s Flavia’s birthday today, and I have no clue what to get her. She loves chemistry, and more importantly chemicals. I was thinking about getting her scientist tools, but she has a complete chemistry lab in the upstairs bedroom, and I’m sure there isn’t a single tool she doesn’t own. Flavia also likes challenges. She very much enjoyed playing detective for a case in the book. So I think the best present I could possibly give her is another mystery to solve that involves using her whit and her beloved chemistry lab. I’m sure she would be overjoyed after she solves this mystery. I also really enjoyed this book and recommend it for other people.

My favorite book that I read this year would have to be “Beautiful Creatures” by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. It’s about a teenage boy, Ethan Wate, who gets himself involved with a caster girl and her family. Ethan and this girl are connected in some way and they don’t know how or why. This book takes you on their tangled adventures of trying to find out what they have to do with each other. As the story starts to reveal itself Lena and Ethan become closer and closer… This is an amazing book with romance for girls and also action and adventure so anybody can read it. I strongly recommend this book!

Another book I liked was “Cinder” by Marissa Meyer. Cinder is a teenage cyborg who lives in New Beijing. Like most Cinderella stories this one includes an evil step-mother, but this time only one evil step-sister. Cinder’s other step-sister is her only human friend. Cinder finds herself in a situation where she has a special task for royalty, and at the same time might be the answer to a recent uproar of an ancient disease. In all this craziness there’s an amazing story of romance and suspense. I couldn’t put this book down, and even when I finished it I was upset it was over!

7. I am currently reading Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia. Beautiful Darkness is a sequel to Beautiful Creatures. The book is about a boy named Alex, and his girlfriend, Lena. Lena is a caster girl, whose uncle died recently. She still misses him, and will not even go to school. If it were Lena’s birthday, I think the ultimate birthday gift for her would be to bring back her uncle, Macon Ravenwood, from the dead. I think she would love this birthday present because Macon was someone who protected Lena, and who she had been living with at the time. He was like the dad that Lena never had. Macon was always there for Lena, and helped her when times were tough and hard. He looked after her, and treated her like she was his own. Macon was the closest person to her, who knew everything about her and guided her. Therefore, bringing back Macon Ravenwood from the dead would be the ultimate birthday present for Lena Duchannes.

A book that I recommend would have to be Divergent by Veronica Roth. It is an amazing book filled with suspense, romance, and action. Divergent is about a fifteen-year-old girl named Beatrice. When she turns sixteen, her and her classmates have to choose in what faction they will live in for the rest of their lives. They can either stay in the same factions that they were born and raised in, or they can change to another. I loved reading this amazing, romantic book about a girl finding her way, and making the right choices.

Another book that I loved was Beautiful Creatures. Beautiful Creatures is another amazing book, written by Kami Garcia. Beautiful Creatures is about a girl, Lena Duchannes, who transfers to a new school. She meets a boy named Alex in this fun-filled, romantic book, who helps her find who she really is. Lena is a caster girl who has powers to do many things. I loved this book because it was romantic, had some action, and it was suspenseful. This is definitely a book that you have to read!

8. Right now, I am reading The Raven, by Patrick Carman. I think that for all his hard work, Ryan deserves some nice presents for his birthday, and I think I have the perfect one in mind. Between solving mysteries and hiding everything from his parents, Ryan finds a great way to pass time in fly fishing. I would probable give him some flys that have already been tied, that way he dosen’t have to work as hard in the fly shop his dad owns. He would probably also like some fly poles, so that way he can use the new flies he ties out on the river.

The book I liked the most this year was Divergent, by Veronica Roth. In this book, children can chose to spend their whole life with a specific group. The children take an aptitude test to see which group they would fit in the best in, but there are a couple who get the special title called “Divergent” that gives them special abilities.

My second favorite book was The Death Cure, by James Dashner. This is the third book of the series. The main character, Thomas, has to be more resourceful than ever, and some new, and old friends might be able to help him.

9. Mika is a thirteen year old boy who lives in a post-apocalyptic world knows the cold hard truth about the life people are living. Everyone, except a few rich people were gathered up inside a wall surrounding most of the northern hemisphere. They are told that on the other side of the wall is a savage disease that turn animals into savage mutant killing machines. Mika knows this is not the truth when a group of kids, including him are selected to fight a government official’s personal war on the outside of the wall. His destiny is to save the people on the other side of the wall and live a free life surrounded by nature. If it was his birthday I would tear down the wall, thus freeing all the people, and I would build him a private community on the out side of the wall where his friends, family, and he could live. His house would include his own natural garden where he could marvel at nature and all of the animals. Also in the house there would be trees and plants spread throughout the house so he could always connect with nature no matter where he is.

One of the books that I enjoyed reading this year was “The Knife of Never Letting Go” by Patrick Ness. Although this is geared to a more mature audience, it is filled with action, suspense, mystery, and a super-realistic dystopian setting. In a world where everyone can hear everybody’s thoughts. Todd Hewitt is the Only boy left in a town called Prentisstown. There are no more women anywhere in the town due to a disease. Although he starts to discover the ugly truth and sets out to find answers. I would defiantly recommend this book, to a more mature audience of 13+, but otherwise it was an amazing book.

Another one of my favorites this year would have to be “Leviathan” by Scott Westerfield. This book takes what you know about World War one and turns it upside down. The German and axis powers, also known as Clankers use giant mechanical war machines to fight their wars. The British and allied powers, also known as the Darwinists used genetically engineered animals to fight in their armies. The book starts out when the Archduke of Austria-Hungry, a Clanker nation, was assassinated. Now his son is on the run from the assassins with his father’s generals. Along the way he will meet important people and friends that will help him on his journey. This is a wonderful book and I would recommend it to anyone who loves a book with adventure and excitement and is in middle division.

10. I’m reading the book 13 Gifts by Wendy Mass. In this book, Tara is at her aunts house for the summer. She is about to turn thirteen in the book and she is looking for a bunch of collectable items that are on a list, with the help of her friends. If I knew Tara, I know exactly what I would give to her for her thirteenth birthday! I would give her everything that is on her list of items that she needs to collect for the old lady. I’m almost done with the book, but I don’t know if she ends up finding all of the items or not, so I will have to read and find out more!

My favorite book of the whole year was by far Blood Red Road by Moira Young. I loved that book! I think that this book was written for more matured people who can handle things like curse words and death. In Blood Red Road, a girl named Saba’s world is turned upside down. She is determined to find her brother, and she won’t stop until she finds him, no matter what she encounters along the way. I truly recommend that book to anyone who wants to read it, it is an amazing book that I couldn’t put down!

My second favorite book that I read this year was I’d Tell You I Love You But Then I’d Have To Kill You by Ally Carter. In the book the main character Cammie, goes to a school for spies called Gallagher Academy. Cammie faces many life problems including problems with boys, as she is a teenage girl. She seems to be a normal person but Josh, her boy, doesn’t know she is a spy.

11. In the book Chomp, Wahoo is a persistent and loving character who cares about his family. If it was Wahoo’s birthday he would want nothing more but the money to pay off his family’s house payments. Wahoo is always working hard and sacrificing his free time to earn money for his family, and it would be great for him to finally have the money to pay off his family’s financial needs.In the book, Wahoo takes a big job on to make sure that his family is well. Instead of having to work, he would get the money for his birthday and send it straight to the banks.

One of my favorite books that I read was called Divergent. It is about a land where society is slit into 5 different sections. But, all of the sections live based upon a certain personality. The book follows the brave but selfless Beatrice or later “Tris” and her exciting adventures. This book is an edge-of-your-seat, thriller, and action-packed book that I would definitely recommend. Plus, the sequel comes out soon!

Another one of my favorite books I read this year is Catching Fire. This sequel picks up right where the Hunger Games ended, with Katniss and Peeta taking a ‘victory tour’ around Panem. This is probably one of my favorite books of all time, and there is a new twist and plot point every chapter. This book, in my opinion, is even better than the Hunger Games.

12. The book I just finished is True Grit. It’s about a 14-year-old girl who goes out into the west to avenge her father’s death. If it were Mattie Ross’s birthday, I would definitely get her a horse. She really likes horses and she goes on adventures out in the west, so a horse would be very helpful. I would specifically get her a black horse just because a tall black horse reminds me of her.

My favorite books so far are Hoot by Carl Hiaasen and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Roy is an average youth trying to fit in into his new school in Florida. He starts following a strange boy who’s running all around the wilderness and he meets Beatrice the Bear. Soon Roy realizes that he’s involved in saving some small fury friends that make a big hoot.:)

Catching Fire is the sequel to the Hunger Games. It is my favorite of the three in the series. Katniss has returned home from the games victorious, but her little stunt with the berries has put her and her loved ones in danger. Now the Capital is fighting back trying to put out the fire with one last trick.

13. In the book Brian’s winter, Brian has to survive the whole winter in the wilderness after a horrible plane crash. And it just so happens that it is his birthday tomorrow and I get to send him one gift. If I could send Brian anything for his birthday I would send him two things. The first thing I would send him would be a full set of warm clothing for the winter. And the second thing I would send him would be a state of the art bow and arrow.

My first favorite book this year is the one I am reading write now called Brian’s winter by Gary Paulsen. This book is about a boy who has survived a plane crash and now has to survive through the cold Canadian winter.

My second favorite book had to be The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This book was about a girl named Katniss who has to fight in a battle to the death.

14. If I was to give a gift to Jace, a character from the book series The Mortal Instraments and more specificically City of Glass, it would be a permanent Rune that would protect him against any physical and mental damage but when attacked it would bring the attacker under Jace’s control. It would also let Jace know where anyone is at any given time and let him know if there was any enemies around him or anyone he loves. I think that this would help him because there has been many times in this book that bad things had happened when he thought that there were no more enemies and he was wrong . An example is when Luke is captured by demons.

My two favorite books this year were The Alchemist and The Magician, both by Michael Scott. They are both in the same series The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. They are about twins that discover the “Real” world. A world of alchemy, gods, and magic and what they do to try to save it. The twins Sophie and Josh Newmen find that they are special (not going into details) and that one has the power to destroy the world and one to save it. If this series and these books in particular are not exciting for you at leat you will get a taste of brotherly and sisterly love.

15. I know the character Alton Richards from the book “The Cardturner.” Based on the novel, I have concluded that for his eighteenth birthday he would greatly enjoy playing in a bridge tournament with his deceased uncle, Lester Trapp. Before he died, his uncle was very rich and also an important asset to Alton’s family because he was on his deathbed. In order to get a coveted spot on the Will, Alton’s mom made Alton (a bored seventeen year old) drive Uncle Lester to his bridge club three times a week. Alton was not fond of driving down there, but he had to stay and play his uncle’s cards for him, too. Alton eventually started paying attention to his uncle’s amazing bridge talents. He picked up the game and grew closer to his gruff uncle in the process. He had always wanted to play in the National Bridge Tournament with his uncle, and they would have if Lester Trapp had not died before the tournament started.

My favorite book that I read this year was “The Cardturer” by Louis Sachar. Alton Richards just got dumped by his girlfriend and has nothing to do in the summer before his senior year. His mom makes him drive his uncle, Lester Trapp to his bridge club three times a week as to have the dying uncle give the family some money in his will. The catch, Uncle Lester is blind, so Alton now has to read the hand of cards to Trapp and play the card Trapp tells him to play. This book has a completely surprising ending and the unpredictable pages turn themselves.

“The Mazerunner” by James Dashner was also a favorite book of mine this year. Thomas knows nothing about most things at all except his name, and the fact that around thirty teen boys are greeting him in a large field with four huge walls. He figures out that he is in the Glade, which is in the middle of a maze. The other teens are as clueless as him, but they all want the same thing. To get out. Finding an exit is a lot harder than it seems, as proven by the nine runners that run from dawn to dusk in the maze every day. I know everyone liked this book and I recommend the whole series for summer reading next year.

16. Do you know who’s birthday it is on Saturday? It is Skulduggery’s! Skulduggery is from the series Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. The main character is a skeleton that can create fire and other elements in his hands. For his birthday, I would like to give him something extraordinary. I would give him the Scepter of the Ancients. This scepter was once used to defeat the Faceless Ones. The Faceless Ones were like gods. They watched over the sorcerers and controlled their lives. Then, they were defeated in a war with the Scepter of the Ancients. Now, an evil wizard called Serpine wants to use the Scepter of the Ancients to destroy the wizards that don’t like him. I would like to give the Scepter of the Ancients to Skulduggery so that he could defeat Serpine and destroy the Scepter of the Ancient. This gift would be perfect for Skulduggery because his only objective in the book is to get the Scepter and destroy it.

One of my two favorite books so far this year is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games is about a girl named Katniss who volunteers for her sister to go into an arena. In this arena, she must fight 23 other kids her age until only one is left. The only problem is, one of them loves her and she feels bad for him. The Hunger Games is intended for teenagers and adults due to graphic descriptions.

Another great book that I read this year was Swindle by Gordon Korman. Swindle is about a group of friends that decide to sleep in an abandoned mansion. While in the mansion, one of them finds a rare baseball card that is worth lots money. The team is on their way to becoming rich until S. Wendell steals the card from them. Swindle is intended for young teens and kids because of the fun sense of humor and jokes.

17. The character that I know well and will focus on in this response is Ryan from The book series, Skeleton Creek. If it was his birthday, I think he would enjoy a ticket to Boston where he could see his friend that was sent away, Sarah. He would enjoy this because he hasn’t seen her in a while, and from all the stuff that was going on between them (Not going to say for spoiler purposes) they could catch up with all of it, and talk about other things relating to the mystery at hand.

The two books that I would choose are probably, first off, like I wrote about above, the Skeleton Creek Series. I really enjoyed how it kept you on your toes the whole time, and how you got to watch videos as well.

Also, I would recommend The Hunger Games. This book is all around amazing, good action, good suspense, good everything, at the beginning it is a bit slow, but once it picks up pace, you will have a hard time putting down the book down.

18. Today is Capricorn Anderson’s birthday from the book, “Schooled.” For his birthday I will get him a blanket and the open sky. He does not like to be indoors and he loves nature. I would also pick a day when there is a fresh breeze because he loves to feel the wind blowing through his long hair.

One of my all time favorite books is called “Helen Keller: A Photographic Story of a life,” by Leslie Garrett. At only nineteen months old, Helen Keller had a fever that left her permanently blind and deaf. I think that she is such a great inspiration and teaches us that anything is possible.

Another book that I really like is called, “The Magician’s Elephant,” by Kate DiCamillo. A little boy named Peter Augustus asked a fortuneteller if his sister is still alive, and to his surprise, the fortuneteller said that an elephant will lead his way to his sister. This book is filled with hope, desire, compassion, and a touch of magic.

19. Helen Keller was a very unique and wonderful woman. I learned a lot about her while reading her biography, Helen Keller A Photographic Story of a Life by Leslie Garrett. If I could give any gift to Helen Keller, I would give her the gift of sight and hearing. Helen Keller was both blind and deaf for almost all her life. Although Helen Keller still accomplished many things in her life, I believe she would have loved to be able to see and hear. I would give her this gift so she would be able to see the differences she made in the world. I think Helen Keller definitely deserved to be able to see and hear. She lived her life without those abilities that I think she should get to experience them.

My favorite book this year was “Divergent” by Veronica Roth. This is the best book I have read, and I love it so much! It includes everything: action, romance, comedy, and suspense. In this book there are factions in which you must choose which one you would like to live in. In the book, Beatrice is having a hard time deciding which faction she wants to live in. Is she Dauntless or Abnegation? Is she Candor or Amity? Or lastly, is she Erudite? The decision is harder because Beatrice is different. She has a secret that could change her life forever. In this book we get to read about Beatrice’s journey about deciding on a faction, keeping her secret from everyone, and her tough life in this faction. I think that “Divergent” is directed toward teenage girls. Boys may like it but I think it’s more for girls.

Another book I loved reading was “Matched” by Ally Condie. “Matched is another great book that is full of suspense and romance. This book, however, is definitely for girls. “Matched” is about this teenage girl named Cassia. In the society where she lives, the society decides everything: where you work, whom you love, and when you die. This book focuses on who Cassia gets “matched” with. It could be anyone between her best friend, Xander, or some boy hundreds of miles away. “Matched” is an amazing book that talks about romance and problems within “perfect” societies. It also shows what people will do for the ones they admire the most.

20. If I had to choose a character from a book to give a present too, I’d give a gift to Janie, from the book The Apothecary. I’d want to give her two things, first the avian syrup, the one that transforms them into birds, and also, on a more serious note, the cure for the Wine of the Forgetful. The fun gift, the avian syrup, would be for her to enjoy and cherish, for there is nothing better then flying; it’s something that we all dream about at one time or another. This gift would be to remind her of all those blissful moments she spent with Benjamin, but it would also be to remind her that there is a world beyond the conventional, and that the Apothecary’s world is one that will amaze us. The second gift, the cure for the Wine of the Forgetful, would be to uncover the past three week’s events, and truly understand the magnitude and gravity of the international situation. Also, this cure would be used to uncover her past, something that no one should be deprived of, however dangerous or frightening the facts may be. Overall, if it was Janie’s birthday, I would show up with two small bottles with very large implications.

My favorite book that I read this year was Countdown, by Deborah Wiles, a story about fear and eventually acceptance. This book has two main story-lines, the first being the Cuban missile crisis, and the second being the main character’s personal life. The book draws part alleles between the two plots, with fear over the missiles, and fear of the boy across the street driving the story. Then, she accepts the fear, and accepts the boy, and all is well. I really enjoyed how the author drew parallels and similarities between modern events and events in the character’s life.

Another favorite book that I read this year was called Divergent, by Veronica Roth. It is s dystopian thriller that is all about finding your inner passions and truths, and the story really shows that through the main character, who makes a bold decision, despite the personal and governmental consequences that it has. Divergent was the book that everyone ad this year, and everyone loved it, and I am no exception.

21. I just finished the book Small Steps by Louis Sachar, it is the sequel to Holes. It’s Theodore’s (Armpit) Birthday! His gift would definitely be him losing his nickname Armpit. Two years ago in Camp Green Lake a scorpion stung him in the armpit and the name stayed with him. In the book he had a set of ‘small steps’ to do and one of them was to lose the name Armpit.

One of my favorite books this year was The Hunger Games by Suzzane Collins. It was full of action and adventure all the way through. A great book for ten and up.

Another book I liked was Brain Jack by Brian Falkner. I was a book with lots of computer related problem solving with the only controller being your mind. Imagine trying to save the world with your mind. Audiences would be nine to sixteen.