Exploring Theme in The Outsiders ~ Friendship

Students, this week we are exploring the theme of friendship and how it applies to The Outsiders.
Please listen to the lyrics in the above video.
What is the story in the song? Be specific and detailed.
Can you find an example of friendship between two characters in the story so far where a connection to this song can be made?
Pull some of the lyrics directly from this song and tell us how they relate to these characters in the story.

Be sure that the song title is capitalized and enclosed within quotation marks. Any lines from the song that you use for discussion must be within quotation marks.
Three quality paragraphs

1. The song “Two of Us” is pretty hard to interpret, actually. From what I can tell, the song is about two people who are friends (or more than that; I can’t tell) and do ordinary stuff together. Constantly through the song, though, it is mentioned that these two are “on their way home.” It also says that they are on a long road, so I think that the road and their journey home is a metaphor for something more, maybe life itself. The song says that they aren’t getting anywhere on the road, either, so this leads me to believe that, in summary, the song is about two people trying to figure out their path in life when, really, all they need to do is depend on each other to help each other get home (or wherever they need to be in their lives).

In “The Outsiders,” two characters who have a connection to this song are Johnny and Ponyboy. Johnny and Ponyboy have a relationship in which they are both pretty quiet, but they understand each other. They know they can depend on each other when something goes wrong or they are in trouble, like when Johnny killed Bob to save Ponyboy from drowning. But, neither of them really have a plan for life. Johnny isn’t too bright in school, and his parents don’t pay attention to or care for him. Ponyboy lives with his two older brothers, and both boys live in a poor part of town. There isn’t much they can do with their lives at this point because society doesn’t always accept Greasers, and they don’t have the money for college or to move. Now, Pony and Johnny have a criminal record, too, for killing the Soc, and they are in hiding in a church in the country. I think that if Pony and Johnny just keep depending on each other like always, they will make it through these rough times of tension between Greasers and Socs and themselves and their families.

“You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” I think this lyric from the song relates to the whole gang, actually. This lyric means that the good and bad memories made in the past are more important than worrying about making ones in the future. You just have to go with the flow, and memories will make themselves. Ponyboy’s gang has done just about everything together. They fight Socs, go to drive-in movies, and get into trouble, all the while making memories that last longer than any long “road”. Being in the gang gives the boys a sense of belonging and self-confidence, but most importantly, it gives them memories to last a lifetime.

2. Good job, Naomi. But can you pull some lines from the song and directly relate them to these characters from the book? You’ll have to do this for your essay. I’m just asking you to be more specific.

1. I guess a an example of that line would be when Johnny and Ponyboy make memories in the church, and then they save the children in the burning church, and Ponyboy sees Johnny for the first time without him looking so sad. Those are memories that will last them a lifetime.

3. The story of the song “Two of Us” is about two friends coming home each coming home from a different trip. While they were on their trips they were sending postcards to each other. Then in the song it talks about how both of the friends have a long history together and how now the stand alone on their trips wearing raincoats Because there is a figurative raincloud of sadness over there head. And at the end it says they’re on their way home.

The friendship between Darry and Ponyboy represent the song most to me because they have had a long history ever since their father and mother pass. When Ponyboy is away in the church and Darry is still at the house this represents the two trips that the friends are trying on. And at the end of chapter six when Ponyboy and Darry embrace, Ponyboy realizes that he is finally home.

“The two of us riding nowhere. Spending someone’s hard earned pay.” This line relates to the book because Ponyboy and Johnny were riding to the country on the train and Johnny used Buck Merril’s money to buy supplies. The line that goes “ The two of us sending postcard writing letters on my wall” is like how Sodapop sent a letter to Pony. “You and me burning matches” is like Johnny and Ponyboy always smoking. And last but not least “We’re on our way home” relates to when Ponyboy is riding in the ambulance with Jerry to the hospital were Ponyboy meets his bothers which is his home.

1. Since you tell me that the song relates to Darry and Ponyboy (are they friends?) Then you need to pull lyrics that relate to them. This is what you will be asked to prove in your essay.

4. The song “Two of Us” is about two friends who wouldn’t be where they were if it wasn’t for the other person. They have been friends for their whole lives, and they depend on each other. They have been through difficult times together. At the end they say, “Goodbye. We’re on our way home.” meaning that they are about to go their own separate ways in life, but will still be friends. Their trip together is the life that they spent together. They realize that even though their difficult times are over, things aren’t going to be just like they used to be.

Ponyboy and Johnny have a friendship like the one in this song. They know that they can count on each other. The whole gang protects Johnny, but they can’t always be there. They can’t protect Johnny when he is at home. The gang is more of a family to Johnny than his parents are. Like the friends in the song, Johnny and Ponyboy are on a long trip nowhere. As far as they know before Dally comes, they will be living in the old church, hiding, for the rest of their lives, and they won’t be able to count on anyone but themselves and the rest of the gang.

“On our way back home” relates to when when Ponyboy is waiting in the hospital for Darry and Soda. He is almost home, but not quite yet. “You and I have memories” relates to all of the time that Johnny and Ponyboy spent hiding in the old church. They won’t ever forget this. “Two of us wearing raincoats” relates to when Johnny and Ponyboy are running away. They don’t know what to do and are terrified. They are trying to find protection from the “rain” or trouble that is soon to happen.

5. The story in the song “Two of Us” is about two very good friends doing stuff together maybe it get’s them nowhere in life but they just like being together with each other. It mentions them on their way home a lot. This could be a metaphor for getting home to life. Also it mentions them on a journey ¬¬ “Longer than the road that stretches out ahead”. It’s probably referring to their long journey ahead together with each other. The song talks about them sending postcards, Sunday driving, wearing raincoats, and other odd things in that form. This is them making their memories along the way, on their journey. The song lyric “You and I have memories” is about their memories together and they make more along their long journey as friends.

An example of friendship in the book that can connect to this song and really stands out to me is Johnny and Ponyboy. They care so much about each other and the connection to the song are the lyrics “You and I have memories. Longer than the road that stretches out ahead” Ponyboy and Johnny have lots of memories their most recent is killing a soc but the second part is about how no matter how far or scary the journey is we have memories that last a lifetime. Ponyboy and Johnny no matter what happens to them they will have those memories together a don this journey they have to remember that.

I think the song lyric “Chasing paper, getting nowhere” can relate to the whole gang. They do stuff for kicks or dumb things that get them nowhere but they still love hanging out with one another. They get nowhere sometimes others they may be somewhere who knows they just enjoy each others company and I think that’s really important.

6. I think the story in the song called “Two of Us”, is about two people that are best friends. In the song, the friends are riding in a car together driving nowhere just enjoying their time together. “ The two of us riding nowhere, Spending someone’s hard earned pay. You and me Sunday driving not arriving on our way back home”. That is a part of the song that really touches me because they truly enjoying each other’s company.” You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead”. I thought that this was a good line because this means they have spent a great deal of time together and they have made many memories together.

True friendship is very important in life. Everyone needs friends and people to talk to, whether it is at work, school or anywhere where else you interact with other people. There is a big difference from a friend and having a true friendship. A friend will hang out with you and have fun with you. Having a friendship is very different. A friendship is when two people care about each other and spend time together. Those people become like family to each other and they would do anything for one another. A true friendship is much deeper and stronger than just having a friend.

In the book, an example of true friendship is between Johnny and Ponyboy. They do everything for each other. For example, when Ponyboy was drowning, Johnny pulled out his switchblade and killed the guy that was about to kill Ponyboy. That shows how much Johnny cared about Ponyboy. Then, Ponyboy said we need to run. Ponyboy didn’t have to go because he didn’t kill anybody, but he didn’t want Johnny to be alone. Ponyboy was worried that Johnny would get the electric chair, which shows how much Ponyboy cared about Johnny. The friendship between Johnny and Ponyboy seems similar to the friendship talked about in the song.

1. While the last paragraph is true, are there any lines from the song that connect to the two characters specifically? This is what you will have to do for the essay.

1. I think the lyrics I put in my first paragraph relate to Johnny and Ponyboy. “Two of use riding nowhere, spending someone’s hard earned pay.” That relates to the book because Johnny and Ponyboy don’t know where they are going. They are going to a church in the middle of nowhere. They spent Dallas’s friend, Buck’s money to buy food and materials. They were basically killing time not at home, like people do when they are Sunday driving. The biggest thing is that both Johnny and Ponyboy have been together for a long time and have shared a lot of really important memories. The lyrics that say, “ You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead,” relates to the past, and everything Johnny and Ponyboy have been through together.

7. The story in the song is about two people who love each other are coming back home. These two people haven’t seen each other because the lyrics say, “Two of us sending postcards, writing letters,” states that these two people haven’t seen each other in a long time. “Two of Us” also mentions that these two people have memories, and the song gives little snip-its of their history.

I see a lovely friendship between Cherry and Ponyboy, but their friendship will always be a work in progress because they will never be able to be together. “Standing solo, in the sun,” from “Two of Us” made me think of how Cherry and Ponyboy both watch the sunset solo. When Cherry and Ponyboy both discovered that they both watch sunsets, they had a connection. I think that’s where their friendship really began. It also showed that Cherry and Ponyboy had an understanding of each other.

“We’re going home, better believe it,” from “Two of Us” made me think of Darry and Ponyboy. In chapter six, Darry and Ponyboy finally reunite, and Ponyboy realizes that Darry loves him so much. Darry also broke down crying, and Darry never cries. That also showed Ponyboy that Darry really does care. Because all of that has happened, I think that now Darry and Ponyboy will “go home,” and everything will be all right between the two of them because both of them understand each other now.

1. Since the song is about friendship, not quite sure if your last paragraph speaks to that. (Even though what you say is true)

8. I think that the story in the song is about two friends who do everything together. This is really indicated by the title, “Two of Us”. The friends don’t care what other people think of them, and they have always been and will always be friends. The song talks about them doing many things together like driving nowhere on a Sunday and having fun. It also says that the friends have created many memories together, “longer than the road that stretches out ahead”. At the end, they come back home together.

I think that Ponyboy and Johnny have a strong friendship in The Outsiders, and this song applies to their friendship. Johnny killed Bob the Soc so that Ponyboy wouldn’t get hurt. Ponyboy ran away with Johnny to make sure that he would be safe. He even ruined his “tuff” hair for Johnny. Ponyboy and Johnny are both quiet, and they always stick with each other like brothers, even in the toughest of times. This is an example of a good, strong friendship.

I think the lyrics, “You and me burning matches, lifting latches, on our way back home,” relate to Johnny and Ponyboy because when I hear those lyrics, I imagine them smoking, staying in that little church, and coming home from the country together. (It also reminds me of how one of their cigarettes set the church on fire.) I think that that verse highlights the fact that they do many things together and that they enjoy each other’s company.

9. The story in the song “Two of Us” by the Beatles is about two friends. In the song, the friends are doing all kinds of things together like driving in a car, sending postcards, writing letters, wearing raincoats, burning matches, and just having a good time on their way home. Also, the song says “You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead,” and this means that these two friends have been friends so long that they have tons of memories that are longer than any road that is before them.

An example of friendship in “The Outsiders” so far is between Johnny and Ponyboy. They relate to parts of this song by the Beatles because they get on a train and ride to Jay Mountain and spend Buck Merril’s money; and they have been friends in the gang so long that they have made many memories. Also, no matter where the two end up, they will protect each other, like when Johnny killed Bob to save Ponyboy from being drowned.

The lyrics “Two of us riding nowhere, spending someone’s hard earned pay,” relates to Johnny and Ponyboy. They are riding on train to Windrixville and Jay Mountain, which to them means nothing because they don’t know where it is. They are also spending Buck Merril’s money that he earned from his job to purchase food and cigarettes. “Writing letters,” is another lyric from the song that relates to “The Outsiders.” This relates because Sodapop writes a letter to Ponyboy that he has Darry bring to Ponyboy.

10. The story of the song “Two of Us” is about two friends that go through everything together and suffer difficulties together. They do things that are dangerous and risky, but they’re always there for each other to help out. The lyrics mention two people going “on their way home” so this makes me think of two people who have done something wrong and they realize that going home is the best option because people and friends will need them.

An example of friendship that can relate to this song is the relationship between Soda and Ponyboy. Even though they are brothers, they get along like best friends and never fight. They go through a lot together. And Ponyboy always said that whenever Soda and Steve went out, Soda would ask Ponyboy to tag along. Also, Ponyboy makes it pretty obvious that Soda is his favorite person. Soda always sticks up for him and they act more like best friends than brothers.

“Two of us sending postcards, writing letters.” This lyric relates to Soda and Ponyboy a lot. When Johnny and Ponyboy ran away, Dally came to visit them. Even though Dally denied it, Soda knew that he was going to see Ponyboy because they have a connection. Soda wrote a letter to Ponyboy, for Dally to give to him. When Ponyboy got the letter from Soda, he got a lot happier because he knew that Soda missed him more than anyone else. Another quote is “Two of us wearing raincoats, standing solo in the sun.” This quote means that they are funny because you don’t wear raincoats in the sun, so I think it means two friends joking around together. This also is a great example of Soda and Ponyboy because Ponyboy always talks about how funny Soda is and that he can make anybody laugh. I remember early in the book, Darry said to Soda and Ponyboy, “You’re both nuts.” Then instead of feeling offended, Soda said, “It seems to run in the family.” That made Darry smile, and Ponyboy always said how hard it was to make Darry happy. Soda and Ponyboy always joke around together, and their friendship is even closer because they are brothers.

11. The story in this song is about two friends doing everything together. They are going somewhere together, and they are spending someone else’s hard earned money. They end up not arriving at their destination so they turn around and go back home. I don’t know if the song is actually talking about their home or not, but they are going back together somewhere. The whole song is about the two people doing things together and going back home together. They share memories from long ago and will continue to make them. The two of them are there for each other and believe in each other and “going home.” They don’t give up on one another and what they do together. They seem to really love each other in either a friendly or dating way.

So far in “The Outsiders,” the two people that have shown a relationship to this song are Ponyboy and Johnny. The two of them have done everything together right from the start. They share millions of memories together, and they are the youngest of the Greasers. They believe in each other and trust each other. They love each other like a true brother. They are like Steve and Sodapop. They won’t leave the other behind or let them go into danger alone. When Johnny killed Bob, Ponyboy went to run away with Johnny and had no hesitation about it. And when they found their destination, they both wanted to go back just the way the two people in the song go back home. They are continuing to care for each other and protect each other. They never turn their backs on one another no matter how hard life gets. They will stick together until the end. They would risk their lives for each other just the way Johnny did for Pony. He told Pony to leave the burning building before he did. Also, he saved Pony from drowning. And then Pony saved Johnny by going with him on this difficult and troublesome journey. They are a perfect example of what friendship is all about.

“Two of us riding nowhere” is a quote from the song that explains exactly the situation Ponyboy and Johnny were going through. They were going to some church that they had never even seen or knew existed. Another quote from the song was “Spending someone’s hard earned pay.” Johnny and Pony had taken a lot of money from Dally. If he actually earned it or not, I don’t know. They ended up spending a lot of it on food and goods. Another quote is “Writing letter.” This happens in the story when Sodapop knows that Dally knows where the boys are. So, he writes a letter for Pony and gives it to Dally to give to Pony. “You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead” is another quote that represents Johnny and Ponyboy. They have always been the youngest of their hood. They stick together and stand up for each other. They are usually there for each other and don’t let the other down. They have shared so many memories together and they know they will continue to be made.

12. To me the song “Two of Us” is about a couple of guys who have been friends since childhood. At the beginning the song talks about being friends when they are younger “Two of us riding nowhere, Spending someone’s, Hard earned pay…”. They are talking about riding around in their parents borrowed car. The friends are aging as the song continues, “Two of us sending postcards, Writing letters”. The friends still are close but they are separated, growing up and not at their childhood home anymore (college?) so have to write letters. Near the end they are older still, “You and me chasing paper, Getting nowhere”. Maybe they are grown up working in an office and fondly remember their childhood and friendship and want to go back. The key lyric is the chorus “You and I have memories, Longer than the road that stretches out ahead”. This means having a long friendship, they have been friends their whole lives and now they are much older.

I think Soda Pop and Stevie have the kind of friendship described in “Two of Us” by the Beatles. I know they aren’t the main characters of the book but that’s who I think of when I hear the song. They have been friends forever, from childhood, and even as teenagers they are unusually close. The book tells us that of all the years they have been friends they have only had one argument. These are guys who understand each other and will remain friends for a long time. They will think of each other as best friends even if they live in different places, that is the friendship they have. They have a lot more road to go but they are going to continue to be friends, like the chorus “You and I have memories, Longer than the road that stretches out ahead”.

The Beatles song “Two of Us” repeats the chorus “On our way back home, We’re on our way home, We’re on our way home, We’re going home” in every section of the song. I think home at first is talking about their real homes, but ultimately I think the song is talking about being safe and secure or happy. That is the way Soda Pop and Stevie feel when they are together. So home isn’t really a place but a good feeling because of a great friendship. Bad things will happen but they will have more strength because of each other.

13. In the song “Two of Us” it mentions that they are on their way home. It also says that they are on a long road. The road probably means their lives together. When it says that they are not getting anywhere it makes me think that this is a barrier in their friendship and that they need to get to the time where they were at their best together.

In “The Outsiders” the two characters that I think have a connection like this song are Darry and Ponyboy. Darry and Ponyboy are brothers and when Darry hit Pony that is when they were not getting anywhere on their road together. Pony and him need to figure out the situation and talk it over. They need to go back to the time in their lives when their parents were alive and Darry didn’t yell at Pony. When they got along and think about those times instead of all the times Darry has yelled at Pony.

“You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” This is a good lyric from the book to represent Darry and Pony because they have all the memories with their whole family together. They also have memories with the gang. This can mean good or bad memories but with Darry and Pony’s situation I think they should focus on the good ones to push past the bad ones.

1. Who are “they?” Are they friends? You have a hard time convincing me this song connects to Darry and Pony by your explanation.

14. The two people in the song “Two of Us” have been through many things together and there future that lies ahead of them is not completely clear, but there memories push them toward their new home. These two people have obviously been friends through thin and thick.
    In the book, “The Outsiders” Ponyboy and Johnny strike me as the two people in this song. They have shared memories and feelings. “You and I have memories, longer than the road that stretches out ahead” Johnny and Ponyboy have memories of things that one couldn’t imagine. They realize many of the consequences for their actions and are definitely not reassured of their new home.

15. This song, “Two of Us” by the Beatles, is about two friends and what they like to do or what they do in their lives. The song says that they were riding nowhere, not moving, just talking. I think the song says that they are going home, but they don’t want to arrive soon, so they are not arriving. The two friends send each other postcards because they miss having each other around, and they haven’t seen each other in a while. It seems like they do everything together; they love to spend time with each other; they joke around, like wearing raincoats in the sun or chasing paper. They have so many memories; they spend a lot of time together.

Ponyboy and Johnny have a really good friendship. They spend a lot of time together, since they are the young ones of the gang, and they have the roughest life. There relation ship is based on the love that they have for each other. They would do anything for each other. Like how Johnny killed Bob when he was drowning Ponyboy. That is what a real friend should do. They should stick up for each other, and do what they think is right.

The line in this song that says “Two of us riding nowhere. Spending someone’s hard earned pay.” Really describes these two friends. This quote says, ‘spending someone’s hard earned pay,’ and I think that describes greasers because they are bad kids. I think it describes the friends because they do everything together. They steel, and fight together. They are best friends.

16. The two of us is about either a relationship or a friendship and how important it means to their lives. It’s also about a very important person moving away and how it is devastating to them both. In the beginning of the song it says something about a childhood friend you’ve loved forever and are totally like family. Also, like family they’ve had some bad times, like the line in the song, “Getting nowhere.” Although, another one of the lines in the song says “Two of us writing postcards, writing letters, on my wall,” so like I said before, it’s like your best friend moved away and their very sad about it. Then at the end of the song, it mentioned a little bit of the first verse and the second verse combined.

In “The Outsiders,” the two people that really stand out when it comes to friendship is Ponyboy and Johnny. Johnny killed Cherry’s Socy boyfriend, Bob, Ponyboy stuck with him when they both ran away from home, even though he had nothing to do with it. They are the two greasers that wouldn’t live without each other for a second. They are truly best friends forever and that’s what makes the song “the two of us,” so important.

The lyric, “Longer than the road stretched out ahead,” is a good lyric to describe Ponyboy and Johnny because their friendship is longer than the road stretched out ahead. Their friendship is loaded with good times than bad. They are the greasers escaping their dark and shattered life that is being a greaser. Their friendship is great enough to fill this lyric.

17. The story of this song is about two friends going on a trip somewhere but they never come back. When it says “ Two of us riding nowhere….Not arriving” it is saying that they don’t know where they are going but just keep on driving telling people that they are coming back home. When it says “Two of us sending postcards, writing letters” it means that other people are worrying about them and want them to come back and they reply they are coming back although, they aren’t. When it says “You and I have memories, longer than the road that stretches out ahead” it means that they were friends for a long time and just not strangers. It signifies that those two people to everything together and that they have been planning to do this. I think it just means that two people either ran away, or just went out for a “trip” and don’t plan coming back.

Johnny and Ponyboy relate to this song. They relate to it because they never do anything separate. When Darry slapped Ponyboy on the cheek, Ponyboy came running down to Johnny. He even wanted to run away with him. If there is trouble, both of them go to the trouble together without leaving anyone behind. They would risk their lives for each other. When Ponyboy went inside the burning church to save the children, Johnny was right behind him and that caused Johnny to get a broken back and many harsh burns. They would always go to the movies together because since Johnny’s attack by the Socs, they want to protect each other. They wouldn’t let either one of them get hurt. Johnny killed a Soc to save Ponyboy’s life. Johnny is now known as a criminal and so is Ponyboy.

There is a strong connection between Johnny and Ponyboy. Ponyboy said that he and Johnny did everything together and that he could tell Johnny anything. The lines “two of us riding nowhere” would be related when Johnny and Ponyboy escaped town with Dally’s gun and money and went on the train. Although they kind of knew where they were going, they had not been to that place before so it was new to them. They didn’t know what they were going to do with their lives and didn’t know how long they were going to stay at the church for. Also” spending someone’s hard earned pay” could be related by the fact that Dally gave them a gun and a lot of money. The whole gang is poor and Dally had worked hard for that money and gun. The lines “You and I have memories, longer than the road that stretches ahead” could relate to the fact that Johnny and Ponyboy are best friends. They are always together and Ponyboy is always telling Johnny that even though his parents don’t show they love him, inside they really do and that Johnny has the gang too. He can rely on the gang and Ponyboy. Johnny’s and Ponyboy’s friendship is stronger than anyone’s in the gang

18. “Two of us” by the Beatles is a song about friendship. They talk about doing things like wearing raincoats, chasing paper, and going over to people’s houses. This song talks about an incredible friendship that was so close and intact that they could do stupid things together like lifting latches. They also repeat that they’re making memories. They’re doing things that they’re gonna remember for the rest of their lives. Even if it is insignificant, they’ll remember it because they were together. That is what true friendship is about.

Johnny and Pony have a friendship like this. They lay together in the park dozing off together. They find comfort in just being with each other. Just sleeping the park together means something to them. When they later on become partners in crime their little insignificant times together come in handy because now, in a real situation, they can be together not being able to do anything. Johnny and Pony are much alike. Being the more quiet ones of the group they get along. Just sticking together to do something will give them a source of protection, like an even better protection force within the gang. Pony boy is the best Johnny will ever get to having someone take complete interest in him. Pony is the brother Johnny never had. Johnny is someone that Pony can confide in when something upsets him.

In the song they say “You and I have memories longer than the roads stretch ahead”. This refers to Pony and Johnny because they’ve been through everything together and they’ll never forget a minute of it, even when they were just sleeping next to each other. They’ve been through gang fights and being there for one another. When they bring up a memory of going to the movies they’ll have to ask each other what year because they’ve been with each other so long. They have a bond that’s inseparable. Nothing will ever bring them part. They act like brothers;they look out for each other. Johnny and Pony have know each other since as long as anyone can remember. The memories stretch miles long.

19. The song “Two of Us” is about two friends who enjoy being together and doing nothing. No matter what they do, they have fun being together, and they form memories. In the beginning of the song, the two friends are cruising down a long road toward their home, wasting gas. It seems as if they don’t care where they are going even though they say they are heading home. Then, the two friends are separated for a while so they write postcards to each other. Eventually, the friends are reunited so they write letters to each other on one of their walls. Then, they just do random, crazy things like standing in a raincoat in the sun and burning matches and lifting latches. This shows that no matter what they do together, they have fun and make memories. It sounds as if the friends truly love each other and have more memories than the road is long (that’s a lot of memories!).

In the book, “The Outsiders”, Johnny and Ponyboy have a really good relationship like the friends in this song. They can do anything and have a good time together. Whether they talk or remain silent, they can understand each other. Both boys always stick up for one another, and they appreciate the other’s company. They are both pretty similar because Johnny’s parents ignore him and he’s quiet. Ponyboy’s parents can’t pay attention to him because they are dead and he is also quiet. Another great thing about the boy’s friendship is that they remember things about one another. For example, Johnny bought Ponyboy the book “Gone With the Wind” because he remembered that Ponyboy wanted to read it. Johnny and Ponyboy are a great example of good friends.

The lyrics, “On our way back home. We’re on our way back home…” reminded me of when Johnny and Ponyboy are heading home after Dally picked them up until they saw the fire. The lyrics,” You and me burning matches. Lifting latches,” reminded me of when Johnny and Ponyboy discovered the fire that one of their cigarettes had accidentally started. The lyrics,” You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead,” reminded me of all the memories that Johnny and Ponyboy have such as when Johnny killed the Soc, when they ran away to the church, and all the time they had bonding in the church.

20. The story of this song is that the two people, who are extremely close friends (or more than that) are just doing everything together. They could be siblings best friends, or in a relationship, but that part doesn’t matter much, the bottom line is that these people are very close.It keeps mentioning a long road, and I think that it means the long road of friendship, a journey that is infinite.

I think that when Ponyboy and Johnny are running away after they talk to Dally relates two the song because they are very close friends and it seems that they will be spending a long time together.

“On our way back home
    We’re on our way home
    We’re on our way home
    We’re going home”

I think that this is like when Dally finds Johnny and Ponyboy and they find out that they will be coming home. They are filled with joy and they get to eat at a Dairy Queen with Dally. I think that this will be an important part for later in the book.

21. The song “The Two of Us” is about two friends that have grown up and shared a lot of memories together. You can tell in the lyrics that whoever the two people are in this story have shared many experiences together. For example “riding nowhere”, maybe in their parents car, and “spending someone’s hard earned pay”, maybe money given to them by their parents, “Burning matches”, most likely means they were smokers. I think there were times that they took long trips because the song talks about “writing postcards”. Because they have known each other for so long, they have made so many memories that will always be there in the future.

This song made me think of the friendship between Johnny and Ponyboy. “Riding Nowhere” made me think of how Johnny and Ponyboy travled in the boxcar on the train with Dally’s gun and money to an unknown place. They were the two youngest in the gang, so they were always hanging out together. The fact that Ponyboy decided to go on the train with Johnny to run away showed that nothing could break the bond they had. Ponyboy and Johnny didn’t want to attract attention to themselves, so they went into hiding and cut and dyed their hair so they wouldn’t be recognized. That would be like “wearing raincoats… in the sun”.

“You and I have memories” can refer to the fact that Johnny and Ponyboy have known each other pretty much all their lives so they have made thousands of memories together. “Two of us riding nowhere” can refer to Johnny and Ponyboy taking off on their own after Johnny killed Bob, the Soc. They were “spending someone’s hard-earned pay” when they used Dally’s money to buy food and cigarettes. “getting nowhere” was how Johnny and Ponyboy felt when they had to stay and hide in the church. They had no one to turn to; they were “standing solo”. They spent a lot of their time smoking together, “burning matches”. I think “going home” can refer to when Johnny decided he was going back to turn himself in or to when both Johnny and Ponyboy returned home in ambulances after the fire.

22. The story in the song “Two of Us” is about two loners, outsiders, going nowhere and using somebody else’s money to do it. they are also talking(singing) about the memories that they made along the way, such as wearing raincoats and standing solo.

Johnny and Ponyboy are running away and then they meet up with Dally who is taking them to a Dairy Queen. Johnny decides to go back to his home, and take Pony with him. This action reminded me of the lyrics, “On our way back home, We’re on our way home, We’re on our way home, We’re going home…We’re going home, better believe it,” because of the way Johnny stood up for himself when Dally thought it was a bad idea.

“…Standing solo…” and “…getting nowhere…” reminds me of all three characters(Johnny, Ponyboy and Dally) some more-so than others. Standing solo is more of Johnny and Pony in this situation. If they are caught, they will be charged with murder and Johnny will most likely will be put to the electric chair and Pony will go to a reformatory. getting nowhere is more of a lyric choice for dally than the others because of what he did for Johnny and Pony, and if they decide to turn themselves in, he stole the money, gun, and clothing for nothing.

23. I think the song “Two of Us” is about two very close friends. The two friends are away from home doing all kinds of things together. They seem to have a very close bond. They would spend money, send postcards, write letters, and burn matches. They had memories that would be longer than a road. The two of them always watched each other’s back, from when they were chasing paper to lifting latches. The lyrics in this song where it said that they were going home and that they better believe it really stood out to me. It was surprising because the beginning of the song sounded like they were going through this amazing, wonderful journey away from home, and all of the sudden they are going home.

Two characters in the story that can make a connection to this song with friendship are Ponyboy and Johnny. After Johnny murdered that young Soc boy. Ponyboy and him ran away to an abandoned church. They were away from home, as it also says the song, when the two best friends were away from their home. When Ponyboy and Johnny were at the church, they read books, spent money, cut their hair, and went through the exact same things. They both understand each other, and look after each other. They depend on each other when times are rough and good. Johnny and Ponyboy make many memories together in the church, which is what the two friends did away from home. When Johnny killed the Soc, Ponyboy ran away with him because he had to take care of him. Finally, Johnny and Ponyboy go home. Johnny and Ponyboy represent a very strong, caring friendship.

“Two of us riding nowhere.” I think this quote is about all the Greasers but mainly the whole gang. They do things just to get a laugh out of it, but they don’t get anywhere. They just do these things to have fun, and fool around. Usually that’s what most greasers do; try to get kicks out of things. “Longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” I think this quote is saying that they have so many memories that together they can be longer than a road, which is what Ponyboy and Johnny had. “Better believe it.” I think this lyric means that I know we had soo much fun, but someday we are going home now, and you better believe it cause it’s true. Johnny and Ponyboy have a friendship that is very unbreakable.

24. I think that the song is about two people who have been traveling in two different places, and they’re so relieved that they’re telling each other that they’re going home. They wrote each other the whole trip, and now they’re recounting things that they did together and on their separate trips.

One of the main friendships in the “Outsiders” is Ponyboy and Johnny’s. Ponyboy stays with Johnny even when he runs away, even though Ponyboy didn’t do anything wrong. The song relates to this, because in the song, it says that they’re going home, and in Chapter 6, Ponyboy and Johnny are going home, albeit in an ambulance.

“Two of us sending postcards
    Writing letters on my wall
    You and me burning matches…
    We’re on our way home
    We’re going home”

The “writing letters” part reminds me of the letter that Sodapop gave to Dally to give to Ponyboy, and the “burning matches” part is kind of like when Ponyboy, Johnny, and Dally were smoking and maybe accidentally set the church on fire. The “we’re on our way home, we’re going home” part reminds me of Ponyboy and Johnny riding in the ambulances back to their town.

25. The story of the song “Two of Us” is a story about two people that have memories. Two people that are either making memories or looking back at them. Like in the movies when one of the two people that have a lot of memories and a flash back of all of them show up on the screen. But the story I think is two people stole a car, they are taking a drive remembering what had happened over the years. Once they are in the middle of nowhere they get out of the car and put on a raincoat and walk in the rain.

I think this song is perfect for Johnny and Ponyboy. I can just imagine Johnny and Ponyboy at the hospital looking back on there memories. I could also imagine them stealing a car and going out in the rain looking back on all the memories that they have had over the years. I could see them just driving and doing that.

From the song “Two of Us” there are quite a few lyrics that relate to Johnny and Ponyboy. When it say “spending someone’s hard earned pay” that relates to when Ponyboy and Johnny from when they take the money Dally gives them, and how they went to the church and spent the money. Also when the song talks about writing letters Ponyboy isn’t writing letters he is getting letters. Also when it talks about lighting matches, they do that when they need to think. And also when it talks about we’re on our way back home tath is talking about how Johnny is going to turn himself in.

26. The main story of a song is about two friends that were very close and did every thing together. It tells how they still have a long way to go in life together because of the long road ahead of us part. The song also says that they’re “going back home.” This can also be seen as those two people being really close because it’s not just one of their homes it’s both their home.

In the song there was a part where they sang about how the did everything together, the part with “lighting matches, flipping latches.” And in the story Johnny and Ponyboy ran away and were practically living with only the two of them. They also have no where else to go because Johnny killed that Soc. It also stated how they’re coming back home, which Ponyboy and Johnny were both doing in chapter 6.

Well like I said before the “on our way back home” resembles how Johnny and Ponyboy were both going back home. Well, Ponyboy and Johnny were going to go home until one of there cigarette buds lit the church on fire. Which leads to the line “lighting matches” of how they would always smoke in that church and how it calmed them down. The line where it talks about how they have memories that could last more than the road ahead of them, which means a lifetime.

27. The story in “Two of Us” by the Beatles is about two people who are in a car driving with no intended destination. They say that they’re driving home, but they really just keep on driving stopping at different places along way. Then the song talks about one of the friends remembering all the memories and fun times he/she had with his/her friend. This song is all about friendship and two friends just having a good time.

This song can be related to Johnny and Ponyboy. Their friendship is so strong. Even though Johnny was a wanted criminal Ponyboy still stayed with him on their escape to the old church. Ponyboy could just have easily left Johnny to get caught, or he could have even ratted him out to the fuzz. Ponyboy even gave up his tuff hair so that no one would recognize him and find Johnny. If I was in Ponyboy’s place I would definitely try to stick with my friend, but I would be scared to death.

One line I pulled out of the song was “spending someone’s hard earned pay.” This can relate to Johnny and Ponyboy because they are spending Dally’s friend’s money to buy food and supplies for however long they would’ve had to stay there. I know fifty bucks doesn’t sound like that much money to be spending from someone else, but back then fifty bucks could buy you a lot.

28. The song titled “Two of Us” deals with two people who are best friends. The two friends end up not arriving at their destination, so they turn around and go back home. In the song, the friends have a long history together that make a lot of memories while on their trip.

In “The Outsiders,” I think that Johnny and Ponyboy have a connection so far in the book. They share a lot of memories because they are the youngest, and they share good and bad memories. Johnny and Ponyboy know they can depend on each other when something goes wrong or they are in trouble, like when Johnny killed Bob to save Ponyboy from dying. They also relate to parts of this song that was written by the Beatles because they get on a train and ride to Jay Mountain and spend Buck’s money.

“You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” I think this lyric matches the best part of “The Outsiders,” because this lyric means that the good and bad memories that are made in the past are more important than getting worried about making ones in the future. The Greasers have a lot of memories good and bad together, especially with the Socs. They also have other memories though besides the Socs. The memories with the Socs are a type of bad memory because the memories are always violent.

29. The song “Two of Us” is about two very close friends. They may be viewed as different by society because the do strange things like “wear rain coats in the sun.” These friends are trying to find “home” or a place of comfort where they can be normal. On their way the may do some bad thinks like “open latches and burn matches,” but they are generally good people. They have made a lot of memories together in their journey. They aren’t really getting anywhere on their path to a sense of belonging, but they don’t really care. The journey is what matters now, and they’re having enough fun doing what they want to anyway.

This song applies to all greasers, but especially to Ponyboy and Johnny. They are best friends and are not only outsiders of society, but outsiders of greasers, too. They do different things, like read and actually care about people. They are both in the process of trying to belong to the gang they are in. They may do some wild and unorthodox things like all greasers, but they are kinder and more innocent. They don’t really care that their path toward belonging is painfully slow. They enjoy the journey and have more fun than you can imagine.

“You and I have memories longer than the road ahead” applies to Ponyboy and Johnny because they have been best of friends for a long time. With Johnny’s abusive parents and Pony’s dead parents they really don’t have much else to turn to. “Two of us riding nowhere” also relates to the way Ponyboy and Johnny had to leave after killing Bob, the Soc. They left without a large idea of where they were going or what they were doing. “You and me burning matches, lifting latches” reminds me of when one of either Ponyboy of Jonny’s cigarettes lit the church on fire. Ponyboy and Johnny went back in to save the kids. The song really does relate to Johnny and Ponyboy.

30. I think the story of this song is two people that are best friends and had made a bond that cannot be broken. In the beginning, the song is about how two people enjoying life together and enjoying each others company and just having a good time in general. In the middle, it’s saying how they are writing letters to each other and sending postcards. I think this means that these two friends had been apart, but they still kept in touch. In the end, I think it’s about how they were reunited and they are still enjoying each others company.

This song reminded me of Ponyboy and Soda. The have a good time with each other and they love each other some much! The fact that Soda wanted to marry his girlfriend, but wanted to want till Ponyboy was out of school was so sweet!They enojoy life together and have a bond with each other.

I think the line, “Two of us sending postcards, writing letters, on my wall,” remind me of when Soda gave a letter to Dally to give to Ponyboy, and it was so sweet of Soda to give Ponyboy a letter! Sda and Pony have a special bond and will never be broken. Their friendship will always remain.

31. “Two of Us” is a very meaningful song. It is about two friends who have spent their whole lives together and have had some good memories together. The song recaps all of the things they’ve done together and expresses what great times they had. The line “Two of us writing postcards,” probably means they are at different places but they will do anything to talk to each other.

This song reminds me of Ponyboy and Johnny from “The Outsiders.” They have gone through a lot together just like the people described in the song. The line “You and me burning matches,” reminds me of when Ponyboy and Johnny would smoke in the church together. Also, the line “Spending someone’s hard earned pay,” makes me think of Dally, Ponyboy, and Johnny at the Dairy Queen when Ponyboy and Johnny spent all of Dally’s money on their food.

The lyrics “You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead,” really tells Ponyboy and Johnny’s friendship because they have been through so much like running away and raving kids in a burning church. “We are going back home,” relates to Ponyboy and Johnny when they are getting rushed to their town in the ambulance. Also, the line “You and me getting nowhere,” reminds me of Ponyboy and Johnny in the church just laying there doing nothing. “Two of Us” is a really hard song to translate because it is so meaningful, but it can relate to a lot of people.

32. The song ‘Two of Us’ doesn’t say exactly what it’s about, but it is still possible to figure out. The song is about a man and his girlfriend doing normal types of things together. About the car situation, the two were driving no where exact but just spending a good time with each other not caring about anything else going on. The mentions standing in raincoats in the sun, and it means that they do opposite of everything normal to do with someone, but they don’t care at all what others may think.

An example of friendship in the Outsiders so far was Ponyboy and Johnny because they have both suffered the same kinds of pain like how Johnny gets beat up by his dad everyday and Ponyboy getting yelled at from Darry. When Johnny and Ponyboy were in a park around 2 A.M., some Socs arrived on their side of the city to beat them both up. A Soc attempted to drown Ponyboy in a fountain, but then, Johnny stabbed and killed him to save Ponyboy. So, they both ran away with a little bit of help from Dally because there were certainly going to be guilty of killing someone. Even though Johnny made the kill, Ponyboy was in this as much as Johnny was because Ponyboy was there when it happened, and he guaranteed that he would get into as much trouble as Johnny would. So, Johnny showed friendship for saving Ponyboy, and Ponyboy showed friendship by always being with him while they were both outlaws, which related to the song because the song was, too, about staying with a friend under any kind of condition.

The first couple sentences in the song, “Two of us riding nowhere, spending someone’s hard earned pay,” describe how Ponyboy and Johnny are escaping from their town into somewhere else safer but are not sure where exactly they are going, and they are spending the money that Dally gave them both of food and other items.They were living in a small deserted church where no one would find them, and they were both allowed to do whatever they may want. That relates to “Two of us wearing raincoats, standing solo,” because both the song and the situation tells about going by their own rules. And finally, the sentence, “On our way back home, we’re on our way back home,” when Dally finally comes and picks Johnny and Ponyboy up. They are now heading back to their town from what turned into a suffering church to live in just like the song.

33. I think that the story behind Two of Us is two friends who do almost everything together. They will do things like go driving for no reason but for fun. They may do things that they aren’t supposed to do like writing on walls or looking inside boxes with latches, but they will always have fun in each others company. They even do things that don’t make a lot of sense, like wearing raincoats in the sun.

In The Outsiders an example of friendship is between Ponyboy and Johnny. They are very good friends who would do anything for each other. An example is when the Socs were drowning Ponyboy, and Johnny protected him by killing one of the Socs. Another example is when Pony was mad at Darry for hitting him, so when he told Johnny they were running away, he came along gladly. Ponyboy was also there to comfort Johnny when he was sad because he killed someone. These two have a very good relationship.

There is a very good point in the song that shows the relation ship between Pony and Johnny. That line is “You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” Pony and Johnny have a lot of memories together, like running away, or after Johnny was beaten. They are sure to share many more memories that aren’t talked about in the book. These two will be friends to the very end.

34. The story talks about two friends who are recalling memories and driving on the open road and spending time with each other. They compare their memories to the long road that they’re driving on. They’re saying that they’re going home, wherever that is, and as they’re driving slowly because they’re not in a rush. It’s kind of a lazy song because it’s not about anything really deep or meaningful. It just talks about the memories of two friends as they’re driving home.

Ponyboy and Sodapop’s relationship reminds me of this song. They have a lot of memories that they share together because they are brothers. They have the kind of friendship were it you could find them hanging out a lot and recalling things, at least in Ponyboy’s mind. Ponyboy recalls memories of theirs constantly in his mind as he narrates the story.

“You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead”
    This relates to their relationship because Sodapop and Ponyboy do have a lot of memories, since the moment Ponyboy was born. Sodapop always watched out for Ponyboy and he loves Sodapop for that. Sodapop has always been the one to defend Ponyboy. This is also why they hangout a lot while Ponyboy recalls memories from before their parents died.

35. This song is about two people who are very close. It doesn’t matter what their relation is, just the bond that they share. It talks about the two going home. I think that this means two things. It is a physical and metaphorical statement. They have been away from their physical home for a while, and now they’re going back. It also means that their relationship hasn’t been normal. Maybe they had a fight. Now, though, they’re going back to what their friendship used to be.

I think that this song relates to Johnny and Ponyboy in the physical sense. They have spent a long time hiding in the church, and now they are going to go home. It also relates to Ponyboy and Darry. It started when Darry slapped him. I think that after that time in the church, Ponyboy is ready to forgive Darry.

“On our way back home
    We’re on our way home
    We’re on our way home
    We’re going home”
    This relates to Johnny and Ponyboy. It relates to when they eat at the Dairy Queen, which signals the start of their journey home. It also relates to the part where Ponyboy gets the letter from Soda, which signals the start of Johnny’s forgiveness to Darry.

36. The song, Two of Us, is about to un popular people who are best friends. Their writing letters to each other, burning matches, and sharing memories to each other. The two of them are very close friends and will always be great friends for a long time. They use the term, on the long road home, because this means that they have know each other for a long time and will always be friends. When I think of their personalities I think of them singing about friends that do things together even though some of the things they are doing are bad because thats fun for them.

In the Outsiders so far, I can tell that Johnny and Ponyboy are very good friends. The two of them like to do things together and can depend on one another to help them when they need it. In the song, it talks about two friends that get into trouble together.The two of them were always helping one another. When Ponyboy ran to Johnny and said lets run away Johnny ran with him, but only to the park and then go back. Johnny knew that Ponyboy needed help from someone and get advise. Later, when the Socs came and was about to drown Ponyboy, Johnny fought back and killed a boy to save a boy from being killed. It may sound bad, but this was a way for Johnny to get his confidence back. Without Johnny even saying that, Ponyboy knew it.

Part of the song was talking about how long these two people have been together and how they were making memories. Like in the song, a lyric in it said,”Burning matches”, this was a saying for smoking which Johnny and Ponyboy do together to get off steam. But they are not always getting into trouble, but they also help the people that are in trouble, like when the Church house was on fire. They went into the burning fire to save the kids that were stuck. Also, when the song says ,”You and I have memories. Longer than the road that stretches out ahead”, this is saying how they had so many different memories.

37. I think the song “Two of Us” talks about a friendship. It talks about two people’s friendship and their journey. It mentions postcards and writing, which means the two people have spent time apart. But they do end up back together by the end of the song. It talks a lot about memories. The two people “have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” This song is about the journey of friendship.

I think Pony and Johnny have a strong friendship so far in The Outsiders. Their friendship does relate to the song “Two of Us.” The song talks a lot about friendship and two people together. This is just like Johnny and Pony in the church. It was just the two of them together for a while. The song also talks about memories, and Johnny and Pony made many memories after the murder incident.

The song says, “Spending someone’s hard earned pay.” This could relate to Johnny and Pony spending Buck Merril’s money to buy things for themselves once they got to the church. The last lyric, “We’re going home. Better believe it” can relate to Johnny and Pony because they are home and not at the old church anymore. Also, the lyric “Writing letters” relates because Soda wrote a letter to Pony to make sure he was okay.

38. This song is about two very close friends. They have the same interests and it seems that is has been that way for a long time, as is evident in the line “You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” It is clear that the people in this song share a very tight-knit relationship. They may not know where they are headed, but the two people in the song obviously just enjoy each other’s company.

I believe that two characters that share such a relationship in “The Outsiders” are Ponyboy and Sodapop. They have been through everything together, from growing up as a normal family to living under Darrel’s command after the death of their parents. To me, they share a brotherly connection stronger than any other characters in the book do. The boys really do not leave each other’s sides often, and they really helped one another through the worst of times. On the same note, it becomes clear when Pony runs away that they could not live without each other.

“We’re on our way home. We’re going home. You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.”
    This passage from the song really stands out to me when I think of this connection. Soda and Pony have truly lasted through thick and thin in their lifetimes. They had more time to bond living together alone with Darry than anyone with parents could have. For this same reason, I believe that Soda and Ponyboy are really just trying to make it home with their parents. They want to live life to its fullest, but that is not easy to do for such troubled young adults. I genuinely believe that Sodapop and Ponyboy are just making the best of life together until, as mentioned in the song, they can make their way home.

39. “Two of Us” recorded by the Beatles and written by Paul McCartney, is a very catchy, folk rock song. The story in the song is about friendship and love. Basically, the song says that my life without you is incomplete and without you, I get nowhere.
    If I could name two characters in the book “The Outsiders,” that really relate to this song, I would pick Johnny and Ponyboy. They have a relationship like no other. They both are quiet, but understand each other. They both would do anything for the other, like how Ponyboy went to the country with Johnny, even though he didn’t have to. Or how Johnny stood up for Ponyboy to Dally by following him to the burning church. If Johnny didn’t follow Ponyboy into the church, then Ponyboy would have gotten in a lot more trouble. This song constantly repeats the lines, “On our way back home. We’re on our way back home.” That line relates to the book because Johnny and Ponyboy are really on their way back home from the country.
    “You and I have memories, longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” This line means both good and bad memories. One of those memories is killing Bobby and running away from their family and friends. But a good memory is when they saved those little children from the burning church. Those are memories that they will never forget as long as they live.

40. The story of the song, “Two of Us” is about two people who go out on a journey or trip and who are now coming back home. These two people have known each other for a long time and are very good friends. It seems like they are borrowing or have stolen someone’s money and are riding away with it. The song is saying that if you have a good friend to rely on then you can find your way back home, otherwise known as a good life, no matter how lost or bad your life is.

An example of this from the book “The Outsiders” is of Johnny and Ponyboy. Johnny killed someone and they to Dally. Dally’s friend gave him money and a destination to go to. Then they went out on a long road into the country. They do not know what will become of their lives because they are now criminals. Ponyboy went with Johnny even though he did not have to run away because he was not the one who committed the crime. That shows how close of friends they are.

“Two of us riding nowhere spending someone’s hard earned pay” is one lyric that relates to when Dally’s friend Buck gave Johnny and Ponyboy his money for them to use when they are running away. The phrase “riding nowhere” relates to Ponyboy and Johnny riding on the train to the old church.

41. “Two of Us” is a song about two very close friends who are far away from each other and are coming back to see each other again. On their way back, they are thinking about all the fun times and their “memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” Some of these memories are “lifting latches,” (which might be a metaphor, I’m not quite sure) “burning matches,” and “wearing raincoats…in the sun.” While the two friends were away they were “sending postcards” and “writing letters,” but now the friends are coming back home.

This song can relate to the friendship between Johnny and Ponyboy. The two greasers are on the run on the run with Dally’s gun, money, and clothes. This relates to the song because, in it, it mentions the friends were “spending someone’s hard earned pay.” Johnny and Pony also have “memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead,” like the two friends in the song.

“Two of us sending postcards, writing letters,” reminds of when Sodapop gave Dally his letter for Ponyboy. It was very brotherly of Soda to do that without directly telling Ponyboy to come home like a best friend would. “We’re on our way home,” relates to Johnny and Ponyboy because they are on their way back home to the gang and away from the church.

42. The story in this song “Two of Us” has to do with two best friends. They have a really strong friendship. They would do anything for each other. The two friends are almost inseparable. The song also mentions that the two friends are going home but they aren’t getting anywhere. This could symbolize many things. The two friends could be trying to solve a problem but they aren’t making any progress. The story in the is pretty much a description of the two best friends’ friendship.

One friendship between two characters in the story that relates to the song is the friendship between Johnny and Ponyboy. They are extremely close. They do almost everything together. Ponyboy even ran away with Johnny even though Pony wasn’t going to get in a lot of trouble. That is a true friend.

The lyrics “You and I have memories, Longer than the road, That stretches out ahead,” can relate to Johnny and Ponyboy. They have been great friends for a long time, and they have a lot of great memories. They are with each other all the time so they make a lot of memories that they will never forget.

43. In the song “Two of Us” by The Beatles, there is a strong friendship displayed in the lyrics. The friends in the song talk about times together “Sunday driving, not arriving” and “burning matches”. The song seems to portray that the two friends have been away for a long time and now they are “On our way back home”.

In the book, “The Outsiders” by S.E Hinton, a connection can be made with the song “Two of Us”. I think this connection can be made with the friendship of Johnny and Ponyboy. For example, Johnny and Ponyboy have a very strong friendship, and so do the two people in the song. Johnny and Ponyboy have also shared memorable experiences, just like the people in the song.

“We’re going home” can have a direct connection to Johnny and Ponyboy, because in the book, they decide to go back home and turn themselves in after Johnny killed Bob. “Sunday driving, not arriving” also relates to their friendship because in the story, Johnny and Ponyoby run away, and have no place to go, and therefore arriving nowhere. I can’t help but wonder if S.E Hinton had heard the song “Two of Us’ while writing ‘the Outsiders”, for the similarities are so close.

44. The song “Two of Us” by the Beatles is a song about friendship, and that friends can do ordinary stuff together. Like, when they sang about “riding somewhere, sending postcards, writing letters, wearing raincoats, burning matches, all on their way back home.” I think what they are trying to share is that when you have a friend, whether you have a tight bond or not, you can do anything together. It doesn’t matter what you are doing, it just means that you get to spend time with your buddy.

An example of friendship between two characters in the story so far is between Ponyboy and Johnny. The part in the song when they sang “writing letters,” is like the part when Ponyboy receives that letter from Soda, and just Ponyboy and Johnny’s relationship with one another. When they sing about those random things like “burning matches, and wearing raincoats”, it’s just how Ponyboy and Johnny hang out together. Even though they are part of a gang, they still do fun, random stuff together like eating ice cream, and just stuff that teenagers do.

At the part when they sang, “Riding somewhere, together back home, on our way back home, you and I,” its kind of like Ponyboy and Johnny, and when they made that long journey to the church so they would be hidden from the cops as Dally had instructed them. When they sang those words it just made me think of them trying to make their way back home just the two of them, trying to hide from being caught.

45. The song “Two of us” is about two friends who are driving a car, but they don’t know where they are going. While thair long ride they are sharing memories about fun moments that they had together. They are saying that they ar going home but it takes them a lot of time to get there. They are also saying that they have very big memories about moments that they spent together. While their long drive they are doing things that would not make sense for anybody but them.

This song relates to Johnny and Ponyboy because they are finally going home after staying in the church for a long time. They didn’t have any food left and had not eaten for many days. They also had not seen the day light during 5 days, and they were very happy to go see the rest of the gang back home. The only thing that they were scared of was being arrested.

“On our way back home
    We’re on our way home
    We’re on our way home
    We’re going home”
    This part of the song shows when Johnny and Ponyboy get out of the church,and got ou to eat with Dally, and head back home.

46. There is one word that clearly stands out in this song: friendship. This song truly demonstrates what the true definition of friendship. The message behind it is that friendships are fragile. They can get stronger, but they are also easily ruined. And that you need to work at them in order to prevent them from ending.

So far in The Outsiders, the biggest friendship that stands out is between Ponyboy and Johnny. This has been demonstrated in the most extreme of ways. Mainly because Johnny had taken someone’s life for the good of a friend. He has risked getting arrested and even getting executed so that Ponyboy wouldn’t die of being drowned. I would find it challenging being Johnny because of hair loyal he is to his friends. I would see it as me slacking and wanting to do more for him.

The thing I found in this song was “Two of us, wearing raincoats. Standing solo. In the sun.”
    The two of us would mean Ponyboy and Johnny. Wearing raincoats represents them trying not to be noticed by anyone due to them being guilty of murder. Standing solo means that they went into hiding. Any from everyone else and other civilization. In the sun represents them being vulnerable. They have “wanted” posters in the paper and the reason they took off in the first place is because they were in danger of being caught.

47. The story in the song is about two friends who are on their “way home”. It talks about how they’re “sending postcards, writing letters”. They have memories of each other when they were young. “Two of us” is just two friends going down a “long road.” The song also says, “you and me chasing paper, getting nowhere” saying that they can’t go home to soon, and they’re taking their time. The song reminds of two friends running away and just enjoying themselves while trying to get home.

To me Ponyboy and Johnny are very close friends and have been, but brought closer together. The boys have been named criminals and are wanted. They have to stick together and they will never leave each other. They can relate to the song, the song says, “standing so low, in the sun” to me this relates to them because they’re keeping a low profile and they got to the church in the early morning. The song also relates to the boys, because they both miss home and are trying to get back home. They realize that they miss their family and life on the run isn’t so great.

“Two of us riding nowhere, spending someone’s hard earned pay.” Remind me of the gang except for Darry. They all kind of loaf around not knowing where to go. Johnny doesn’t ever want to go home, it seems like they all waste money trying to find something to do. They are always at the movies or getting beat up, or walking around the neighborhood. Life to the Greasers does seem boring and scary. They all just are trapped in their neighborhood, not even knowing what to do, or wondering when they’ll get beat up.

48. In the Beatles Song, “Two of Us,” there are many different ways to interpret this song, but all of them are quite complicated and difficult to understand. But, in my opinion, the real story lies not in the true meaning of the words, but the undercurrent of themes that makes this song so interesting. The true meaning could mean that these are just two people going about their days, on their way home from a place far away. But, I feel that that long road stands for the journey of life, and the pleasant moments that line the sides are meant to be shared with others in life. Their road, which stretches out longer than they can see, means that they still have a long time before they reach the end of their roads, wherever they should take themselves. But, the song also says that they are, “going nowhere,” which leads me to believe that they are relatively young, and still trying to get their bearings, and set out on the road that they want. They haven’t decided whether or not their going to this or that, but once they do, their destination will be clear. I believe that the journey that one takes in life is what this song is truly about.

I believe that this song can relate to Johnny and Ponyboy. These two are still young, and they don’t know where they are going. Johnny and Ponyboy get each other, and they are the closest of friends. They are still in the early stages of high school, and haven’t chosen their paths of life. They will travel this road together, through thick and thin, just as they have done so far, just like the characters in the song have. In the song, they’re just “Sunday Driving together,” shooting the breeze whilst they figure out what they’re going in life. This is the same for Johnny and Ponyboy. They stay together. Ponyboy could easily have left Johnny to fend for himself after Bob’s death, but they stuck together, their friendship too strong to forgo for personal reasons. I feel that this goes the same for those in the song. The characters in the song are attached, for whatever reason, just like Johnny and Ponyboy, and these two sets of friends will stick together through the highs and lows of life.

There are many lyrics in this song that relate to the friendship of Johnny and Ponyboy. First, “You and I, Just Sunday Driving… on our way back home.” This piece of the song shows us where Johnny and Ponyboy are right now. They have just run away, and have ne real life to speak of, and their road is wide open. But now, after these tragic incidents, Johnny and Ponyboy need to get back home to get their car moving down their road of life once more. Second, “You and I have memories, longer than the road that stretches out ahead,” relates to Johnny and Ponyboy for a multitude of reasons. First, Ponyboy and Johnny go way back, and have shared some great memories of the gang, and some terrible ones, some that weigh them down, and are greater and more changing than the path that their roads might take. Overall, this song has lyrics that relate to Johnny and Ponyboy’s friendship.

49. “Two of Us,” by the Beatles, is a heartfelt song about true friendship. It explains a genuine story about the journey of two people returning to their favorite place, home. “You and I have memories. Longer than the road that stretches out ahead,” explains how the two friends have more memories than you can imagine. In this deep song, it explains how the two people are writing letters and sending postcards, so they are keeping up with each other even though they are far away. In the song, it talks about how the two friends are wearing raincoats, and that symbolizes a rain cloud of sadness over them because they are separated. But in the end, they went home to reunite.

Ponyboy is the youngest of the gang, only 14 years old, and likes to read and watch movies. Johnny is 16 years old and resembles a wet puppy that has been kicked too many times. However, these two are best friends with a strong connection. These are the two characters from “The Outsiders” that are definitely true friends. They both are quiet and are into most of the same things. They enjoy each other’s company even if they they are doing nothing, like staring at the stars in the sky. They always watch each other’s backs, and defend one another. In the song, the line that states, “Two of us riding nowhere. Spending someone’s hard earned pay,” made me think of Pony and Johnny’s adventure to the country on the train. The two of them didn’t really know where they were going or what was ahead, and ended up spending Buck Merril’s fifty dollars. In those scenes when the two of them were nervous and scared of what their future was going to be, they comforted each other and made each other feel safe.

“You and I have memories. Longer than the road that stretches out ahead.” This line also reminds of me of Johnny and Ponyboy. The two of them do have a lot of memories, good and bad. Good memories, such as going to Church together, meeting Cherry at the movies, and just hanging out, and obviously bad memories, such as dealing with Johnny’s family issues and murdering a Soc. The thing is, it doesn’t matter how bad the memory or moment is because with these two best friends, they have each other to lean on for support, to depend on, to have fun with, and the most importantly, the two of them will always have each other’s backs.

1. *Mrs. Cobb, this is the blog response I would like to be graded. The other post was the one without my revisions. Thank you!

50. The Beatles song “Two of Us” sounds like it is about to people who know each other. Maybe these people are friends or in love but it says, “They are on their way back home.” That might meen that the people have been away from each other or have been together but away from their home. It also says a lot about memories that the two people have shared over a long time. Sense it says that they share memories this might mean that the people do a lot together and enjoy each other.

The connection I believe that this song the “Two of Us” has to do with the “The Outsider” is what Ponyboy and Jonny had to do. After Jonny had killed the Soc, Jonny and Ponyboy had to run away from home. Pony and Jonny missed their home just like in this song. I also in the song it talks about pass memories, this might have to connect to the book from Jonny and Ponyboy thinking of their home then missing it and wanting to go back to those memories they share back at home with their friends and family.

The lyrics from the song that say “the two of us” that might have a connection to Pony and Jonny because they are very close in the gang and Pony and Jonny like to do things together the most. Also the lyrics “you and I have memories long than the road that stretches out ahead” has to do with the whole gang, and all of the memories that the gang has shared in the past and the way they all know each other so well.