The Outsiders

I only mean that most greasers do things like that, just like we wear our hair long and dress in blue jeans and T-shirts, or leave our shirttails out and wear leather jackets and tennis shoes or boots. I’m not saying that either Socs or greasers are better; that’s just the way things are (Hinton 3).

Students, what does it mean to be an outsider?

What does it mean to be an individual?

Is it more important to be part of the “group” than to be an individual?

When you meet someone your age for the first time, what do you notice?

If someone was meeting you for the first time, what three qualities would you want them to notice?

Please reflect on all these questions in a good quality paragraph. I expect all of you to be respectful of one another’s comments.

1. I think what it means to be an outsider is that you are not fitting in with the other kids your age at your school. Also it means your looking for a place that you belong in. What it means to be an individual is to be by yourself all the time with not any friends to look out for you. Also it could mean that you like to do stuff your way and whatever you want to do no matter what others think about it. I would want to be in a group so that I could have someone to back me up and have a second opinion on everything. I wouldn’t want to be an individual because it’s just yourself with no one to tell you if it’s a good or bad choice. When I meet someone for the first time I notice if I would want to be their friend or not. It’s just something that’s included with the Thomas deal. If I was meeting someone for the first time I would want to be funny and social with them. Also I would want to show what hobbies I like to do and not to do.

2. In my point of view, an outsider is a person who is not in the “in” crowd. They could want to be in the “in” group and not be accepted or just not want to be in that group at all. An individual can be part of a group, but they stand up for what is right; they don’t just follow the crowd or even their friends. An individual can also be totally independent. I think it is more important to be an individual than in a group because you need to think for yourself and not base your decisions on someone else’s opinions. The first time I meet someone I usually notice their hair, height, and face, but that really is just human nature and it is just at first. If I start talking with the person and really get to know them, looks won’t matter at all to me; it’s really what’s on the inside that counts. It’s just like the saying “don’t judge a book by its cover” because it’s the content that matters. If someone met me for the first time, I would want them to notice that I’m caring, loyal, and wise. Also, I don’t want to act like anyone else in front of people just to be accepted; I want people to like me for who I really am.

1. If I start talking with the person and really get to know them, looks won’t matter at all to me; it’s really what’s on the inside that counts.

Absolutely!

3. If someone asked me what an outsider is, Iwould say this. An outsider is someone who is unlike anyone else. They are like a different race or someone who is not accepted by other people. If some one asked me what an individual is I would say this. An individual is some one who knows them self and dosen’t do things to impress a group.If some one asked me if it was most improtant to be in a group rather then an individual, I would chose the individual. You maybe happier in a group but you would be trying to blend in and not show your talent. If I meet a kid my age I would notice how athletic they are because I am a very competitive person. If someone was meeting me for the first time, I would want them to know that I am physically strong, smart, and an individual.

4. To be an outsider is to stick out and be different. Someone who isn’t part of anything. To be an individual makes you feel different and out of place. When you’re an individual you’re yourself and when your in a group you’re not complete so being an individual is better.

Someone you meet for the first time isn’t always being their self but, if there a good person they will be themselves. If I met someone for the first time I would want them to know that I’m sporty, smart, and honest.

5. Being an outsider means that other people exclude you and leave you alone. You don’t fit in with other people. You don’t wear what they wear; you don’t do what they do. You are thought of as an outcast or a pariah. Individuals can be independent but they don’t have to be. I don’t think an individual always does their own thing and is their own person because everyone is an individual and most people have friends so their friends influence them as an individual. Individuals usually stand up for what is right even when their friends don’t because they aren’t afraid of what people think. Honestly, I think that it is more important to be an individual than part of the “group” because if you are alone you will most likely but not always make better choices than if you had a group influencing you. Everyone should have friends but being an individual is more important. I try not to judge people but it’s hard. First, I see how the person looks. Then, I try to see how they interact with the people and things around them. I notice the way they walk which shows how confident they are (confident people walk with their head high while shy, insecure people walk with their head down and their back hunched over.) I also listen to how they talk. Do they use proper English? Do they have an accent? It’s hard to get to know someone’s character when you meet him or her for the first time. If someone were meeting me for the first time, I would want him or her to notice my kindness, my athleticism, and my intelligence.

1. I notice the way they walk which shows how confident they are (confident people walk with their head high while shy, insecure people walk with their head down and their back hunched over.

Yes, this is true, Olivia

6. To me, an outsider is an outcast-someone who doesn’t fit in. Most people try to join “groups” that hang out, but some people don’t always get along or like the same things as the rest of the group. Some are too shy to join a group of friends.I think that there is someone out there for everyone, and if you are nice to people, you will find someone that you have something in common with. However, some kids will get shunned and practically “kicked out” from the “cool” groups. These people are what I would consider outsiders. Being an outsider is different than being an individual. Individuals don’t rely on others for things and go their own way instead of with the flow. They still have friends, but they do things on their own. Personally, I think it is much more important to be part of a group than being an individual. Groups of friends can help you with almost anything. You can get help with homework, life issues, problems with other friends, or just to hang out. Even when they can’t help you, they can always cheer you up. Plus, safety in numbers is a good concept in my opinion. When I meet someone my age, I first notice their level of maturity. If they aren’t mature, I don’t really want to be around them for very long. Immature people are annoying and aren’t controlled. Based on what I like to see in others, I would want them to notice my level of maturity as well. Also, I want them to notice how I respect others around me. Nobody likes a bully. Lastly, I want people to know that I am friendly to everyone and don’t exclude anyone.

7. An outsider can be considered by most people anti-social or just plain weird. In my eyes an outsider is someone who doesn’t care how other people think about him and they are unaffected by the social norms of groups or crowds. Someone who can stand up for their opinion and they can’t be put down by peer pressure or negative comments. You make your own decisions and you decide what is cool and what’s not, what’s fun, and whats not. An outsider usually has more personality then someone who is not. They share emotions openly because they are not afraid of people ridiculing them. Outsiders are people that have the courage to not fit in, but to make the world fit around them. Being an individual is close to being like an outsider, but they might be in a group. They still have the courage to stand up for themselves, but the group accepts them for that. An individual has all the traits of an outsider except they may have one quality that a group really likes so they can be part of the group or crowd. I believe that it is important to be in a group but still be individual. To have friends that back you up when your down is good, but if you are to consider them friends they should not try to change the way you are and how you act. By being both and individual and in a group you learn valuable life lessons form both social experiences. Being in a group teaches you teamwork and respect an being an individual teaches you creativity and builds your personality. When I meet someone I usually notice their personality and if they have the traits that would make a good friend. I look for honesty and loyalty to make sure that they aren’t just trying to take advantage of you. I look for humor and creativity to see if they are someone that would be fun to hang out with. Lastly I look for some one who looks for the same things. If they are looking for what you want in a friend, chances are you’ll be a lot like each other. Finally if I was meeting some one for the first time I would like them to know that I am kind and honest and will never treat them badly. I am funny and creative so I can always come up with things to do.

1. Someone who can stand up for their opinion and they can’t be put down by peer pressure or negative comments.

This is a strong sentence, Parker

8. An outsider is a person who is seen as cool or accepted. An individual can be anything from one thing or a single person who is independent. Being an individual in most cases shows what you want to do on a daily basis and is more important to be in a group because being a individual is who you are and a group is who you want to be. The first time I meet someone my age I notice if there personality and abilities. When I meet someone I try to be unnoticed, pleasant when spoken to, and cheerful. It really doesn’t matter to me, but these attributes are what I would try to show.

9. Being an outsider can be closely related to being an individual. They both mean to not belong to a specific group. An outsider may not choose this fate, but an individual probably will. I think of outsiders as maybe strange or unusual, but really they’re just different. They aren’t really accepted into a specific group of people. Individuals are also different, but they choose to be. In modern time, there are a lot more “different” people. These people normally form a group and become friends. They aren’t very individual anymore, are they. I think being in a group is important for most everyone, but being individual in the group is equally important. People need friends to lean on or to keep them busy, but being different from your friends helps you stand out and make you special. When I meet someone my age for the first time I notice that they are outsiders. They shy away from most people and no one really knows that they’re there until the new person starts to interact and make friends. When people meet me for the first time I try to show them my sense of humor. It doesn’t usually come out very quickly because I have a kind of dry sophisticated sense of humor. I also want people to see my confidence. Being confident will set yourself as a role model early in a friendship. Thats the position I like to be in. Lastly, I try to show people my leadership ability. It also sets me up for a role model position. It’s kind of hard for people to skip over me anyway.

1. People need friends to lean on or to keep them busy, but being different from your friends helps you stand out and make you special.

Here is the golden ticket!

10. An outsider is someone who does not belong in social groups. They are usually people who are different then others. They are outsiders because the majority of people think that they are weird or do not belong in society. Sometimes, the people who kick them out are really jealous of them. Other times it is because people want to impress someone so they treat the individual terribly. Being an individual means that you don’t care what others think about you. Individuals do what they want, not what others what them to do. These people tend to stand out in the crowd because they just want to be themselves. Sometimes, they are made fun of or even beaten. Individuals don’t care if they are accepted in society. I believe it is more important to be an individual then part of a group. If other people don’t like you for who you are, then they are not your real friends. People will just act like someone else just so they fit into a group. Other people change themselves just to impress someone. Sometimes people will start to like the individual just because they did something cool or are rich. I try to stay an individual even if people don’t like me for who I am. When I meet someone my age for the first time, I notice their personality. I notice if they are arrogant, kind, funny or serious. I also notice if they are going to be an individual or a part of a group. I try to see if they are someone that I would like as a friend or someone that I should stay away from. If someone is meeting me for the first time, the three qualities that I would want them to notice about me are my intelligence, humor and friendliness.

11. If your an outsider it means you don’t fit into any groups. You are kind of on your own outside of everything else. They aren’t weird people it could just be they are shy or nervous to join friend groups or make new friends.To be an individual is the best thing possible. It means you are your own person. To be an individual makes you who you are. You have your own thoughts and no one can tell you they don’t matter. Being an individual is one of the best things on earth. It is hat everyone is titled to there own opinions. I think it is much more important to be an individual. It is great to have friends but you need to have your own opinions. You want to be a leader not a follower. When I meet someone my age for the first time they act different. They are sometimes shy or sometimes they are egotistical. But after you get to know them they show what there real personalty is. I would look for honest,funny, and easy going. I like when people are honest with me. I also like when people are funny cause i have something to relate to with them. It is also nice when your friend is easy going and doesn’t argue with ideas.

12. An outsider to me is someone who is different for the other people and isn’t anything like other people. They have different hobbies, interests, style, and personality. An individual is an entirely different thing. You can easily be and individual without being an outsider. Being an individual means you know when things are wrong and right to do even if your friends don’t agree with you. I feel being apart of a group is equally is important as being an individual maybe a little less. I think this because without being in a group it is harder to make mistakes and learn form then and learn from other mistakes. But it can be bad because it can affect who you are as an individual sometimes. When I meet someone for the first time my age I notice whether or not there shy, if they are a fun person, and whether or not I would like them. What I mean by weather or not I would like them is that when I first meet someone I instantly realize weather or not we would get along and if I would like them as my friend. If someone were meeting me for the first time there would be no specific thing I would want the to notice because I would much rather them find the good and bad to me instead.

1. Being an individual means you know when things are wrong and right to do even if your friends don’t agree with you.

This is like the question I asked all of you in school!

13. I think that being an outsider means that you are a castaway from the main group. If you’re an outsider, then you do your own thing and you do what you want when you want to do it. Being an individual means that you are special in your own way. You don’t follow the crowd and do things to get attention. You have no problem flying solo, and you don’t care what people think or say about you. Being part of the “group” or gang and being an individual all depends on your choice of what you want to do or what you want to be like. When you’re an individual no one pressures you to do things. When you’re in a group or gang of people, they might pressure you to do things that you may not want to do and don’t feel comfortable doing. Although, being part of the “group” can be fun at times, and being an individual can sometimes get lonely because you have no one to talk to or worry about, truly, it’s all on your perspective. You can follow what everyone else is doing or you can choose to do your own thing and live by yourself in your own life. I know that the first thing that I do when I meet someone new for the first time I always try to learn as much about them as I can before I decide if they are the kind of person that I would want to hang out with. When I notice if that person is nice and or funny, then I think of how that person might make a good friend. When I first meet new people I am full of questions and never shy on asking whatever I want that will help me learn more about that person and his or her personality. If I were meeting someone new, I would want them to see that I’m very nice, smart, fun, and athletic. I think that those characteristics describe me, and they help me make new friends.

14. An outsider does not fit in with other kids his age. He is usually unlike other kids and they don’t like him just because he is different. An individual is someone that does what they want to do no matter if people like it or not. He doesn’t care about what others think about him or say to him. An individual is someone who can stand out in a crowd, but sometimes they can be loners too. It is important to be part of a group, because you can hang out with your friends and it is a lot more fun. You also have people to stick up for you if you have any problems. If you are an individual than you may not have anyone to talk to or share stories with. So, I would choose to be a part of a group over being an individual. When I meet someone for the first time, I notice how he looks. I see if he is tall or short, or if he looks athletic. I also want to see if he is nice or mean. Sometimes the way a person looks does not tell you what he truly is like on the inside. If someone was meeting me for the first time, I would want him to notice that I look friendly and that I like to be with people. I would also like him to see that I am easy to get along with. It is hard to keep good friendships for a long time. It is easier to have friends when you are an insider rather than an outsider.

1. Sometimes the way a person looks does not tell you what he truly is like on the inside.

This is so true and hard for people to understand.

15. An outsider appears to be many things in my mind, but when I think of an outsider, I think of somebody who is overlooked, or is not in a specific “group” of people, like the “sporty” people or the “popular” or “nerd” crowd.
    An individual in my opinion is being your own independent and confident person. What I mean by this is not changing yourself if somebody says something about you, and to not have to care about being in a specific group of people.
    I think it is more important to be an individual than to be a member of a group. I think this because if you just follow around a group, which isn’t the case all the time because sometimes you are friends with all the people in the group, you start to become a different person, and I think that you should stay yourself throughout your life and not try to make yourself a different person just because of the people you hang around with.

When I first meet someone, I look at them, but then I talk to them and notice their voice and how it is different from other peoples so I can recognize them.

If I was first meeting someone for the first time I would probably want them to notice my voice, eyes, and what I look like in general, I would like them to notice this because this is how they would recognize me. This question gave me some difficulty because I really had to sit down and think about what I would like somebody to notice when they first met me.

1. What I mean by this is not changing yourself if somebody says something about you.

You all should stay true to yourselves.

16. To be an outsider… My explanation of that at least is to be someone who doesn’t want to be in the crowd or necessarily fit in with it. Me for example. Someone who does what they want to do, not do the exact same thing some popular person would do.

An individual is someone who follows their character traits, does what they want, and kind of stands out, but in a good way.

1. My explanation of that at least is to be someone who doesn’t want to be in the crowd or necessarily fit in with it.

A good interpretation

17. An outsider is a person who is rejected from society, and a person who doesn’t belong. To be an individual means to be a person. It can also mean to be different. Also, it can mean to be a loner.

I believe that it depends on the person’s personality if it is more important to be part of a group or be an individual. It depends on how the person views it.

When I meet someone my age for the first time, I notice how they look. I notice how they dress and their hair to see if they are decent, refined people, or uncivilized people.

If someone was meeting me for the first time, I would want them to notice my personality. I believe I can make friends well through my personality, and I see that people enjoy me for my personality as well.

18. To be an outsider is to be one that is not the same. Being an individual is to be with yourself all the time. Being in a group is better to me because you get to be with people and talk and being by yourself would get boring. The first thing I notice in a person is the way they talk. I would want someone to notice I am smart, good spirited, and fun to talk to.

19. To be an outsider is not necessarily to bo strange, different, and weird. But that is how many people portray it. To be an outsider, at least in my opinion, it means to be someone not in a particular group, or a group of people who stick out.

To be an individual is to be someone who makes their own decisions, and dosen’t always copy other people’s.

Honestly, being in a group is good, but it is always more important to be a individual. I would never be more concerned about being in a group than myself.

When I meet a person my age, the first thing I notice is their attitude. Usually a person will be either very happy and outgoing or very sad looking and shy.

When someone meets me, I want them to notice how upbeat I usually am, how intelligent I am, and how funny I can be.

20. I think that being an “outsider” means being different and not being part of the group. I think that it is more important to be part of the group unless, it means doing something illegal. I think that being an individual means that you can be who you are regardless of what everybody else thinks or does. I think sometimes being an individual can sometimes make you an “outsider”.I don’t want to be alone and without friends. When I first meet a kid my age the first thing I notice is how they look. If somebody met me for the first time, I would want them to notice that I’m nice, funny, and handsome.