Take Me Back To The Sixties ~ Bring on the Music

Happy New Year, students, and welcome back to school!

From the futuristic, dystopian life in Panem in The Hunger Games, we are headed back to the simple life of the sixties for The Outsiders. In preparation for the reading of this great story, I would like to know what you know, or would like to know about the sixties.

While this story focuses on the mid-sixties, 1964-67, the sixties as a whole was a decade that brought about the most change our world has ever come to know.

When I think of the sixties, I think of the Beatles and the British invasion that followed which changed the course of music forever.

This concert was at Shea Stadium, New York 1965. Can you imagine singing to that crowd? They wore no earphones piping in the music, that technology wasn’t around yet.

And oh, just so you know, I was sitting on the roof of my aunt’s house with some friends listening to the concert. It was the best seat in the house. 🙂

What do you know about the sixties or want to know more about?

Classic Supremes

The Dave Clark 5

1. All I know about the sixties is that MLK made a large impact at that time and JFK was assassinated. Also in music lots of British bands like the Beatles came to the U.S. and became popular. I would like to learn about what was happening in space and in technology, and popular things that everyone did. I don’t know a lot but hope to learn more.

2. I don’t really know anything about the 60’s. All that I really know is that The Beatles use to be very famous back then. I also know that Neil Armstrong walked on the moon in the 60’s. Since I don’t now much, I’m excited to learn about fashion, hair, and clothes that people use to weir back in the 60’s. I think it will be exciting to learn about the 60’s and read The Outsiders.

3. I don’t know much about the 60’s, but here’s what I do know.Martin Luther King led the civil rights movement around that time. John F. Kennedy was assassinated also :(. I also know that The Beatles were extremely popular in the 60’s! America won the space race in ’69 when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.I would enjoy learning more about the arts and fashion in the 60’s. I also would like to learn about the shows and movies people watched back then.

4. When I think of the 60’s I think of of the many music artists of that time. I also think of the Cold War, John F. Kennedy being assassinated, the different groups of people such as nerds and greasers, and the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. when I think of the 60’s. I find the Cold War very interesting because there are still tensions between Russia and America today. Along with the Cold War there was also the Vietnam War, both of which were battled over Communism versus Capitalism. Although I know a little about the 60’s, I would like to learn more about it’s history.

5. “Hey mama, welcome to the 60’s. Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. Oh mama, welcome to the 60’s. Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh. Go mama, go, go, go!” These lyrics are from a song in “Hairspray”, one of my favorite movies/musicals, that takes place in 1962 in Baltimore, Maryland. In addition to the clothing styles, dance moves, and music of the 60’s, the movie portrays the racial tensions going on in Baltimore at that time. In addition to knowing a little about the 60’s from this movie, I also know that there was segregation, and Martin Luther King Jr. made his famous “I Have a Dream” speech. The 60’s is when the British Invasion took place, and many bands from the United Kingdom came over to the United States, such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. This decade was supposed to be about peace and love, yet there were many assassinations, such as that of President John F. Kennedy, his brother Robert F. Kennedy, and Martin Luther King Jr., as well as warfare that included the Vietnam War and the Cold War. The movie “Hairspray” is just a glimpse of this time, and I would like to learn more about this groovy decade, such as the science, technology, and the political movements.

6. I know very close to nothing about the 60’s. I know the song “Stop in the Name of Love” because it’s in an American Idol game i have on my iPod. In the 60’s the only hair “rule” was big. I thought people were trying to bring the 60’s back since the creation of the bump it. I know that fashion of the 60’s was polka dots, leg warmers, sweat bands, bright colors, and just odd combinations. That’s really the only fashion I know, but I know there’s more. Like if jeggings are the new leg warmers. I’d like to know what the different styles were and how the compare to what we wear now. I always thought the houses were the same as any house back in the old days. All I know about history on the 60’s is that there was some kind of war going on during the time. I think there were a lot of disco dances and parties. I don’t really know much about the 60’s but I will soon

7. I don’t know much about the 60’s but I do know that music was very popular. I know that The Beetles were a very popular and well known band that made very many amazing songs that many people still listen to today. I know that the Vietnam War was in the 60’s. Also the clothes in the 60’s are much different know with most people. The 60’s had many bright clothes and very interesting hair. The hair was very large up and all flailing and a very big deal. I know that there were hippies and rainbow clothes and a bunch of stuff with peace signs on them.

8. I think that the 60’s was the most significant decade of the 20th century. The Beatles were huge in 60’s as wereThe Rolling Stones. The space race with the Soviet Union was in the 60’s. The JFK assassination was in the 60’s as well. Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I have a dream” speech was also in the 60’s. The Vietnam war was going on too in the 60’s. The Cuban missile crisis was also in the 60’s. The United States also landed a man on the moon. Clearly there was a lot of history made in the decade. I want to know more about the music in the 60’s!

9. I don’t want to say I’m a genius about the sixties because I’m not but I do know a lot of things that happened in the sixties but no details. I know all about martin Luther king, I know about JFK’s assasination, I know about the music, and lastly Woodstock but that was late 60’s but although it’s not that many things they were all very important. One thing I really want to learn about the sixties would be the fashion and the houses because I do not know anything about those things and I would like to learn more.

10. All I know about the sixties is how important it was. Also, I know how music was very popular at that time and how many people had a great influence or made a difference in the United States. I want to know what schools were like then and how all the houses looked. I also would like to know what would it be like if you got in trouble and what would you have to do. Also, I want to know what kind of clothes everyone would wear on a daily basis.

11. I know very little of the 60’s. I do know John F. Kennedy was assassinated, Martin Luther King gave his very famous speech in the 60’s. The Beatles were a huge pop sensation back then. I’m pretty sure everyone was in love with them at that time. I think they were hippies, too. Life was much simpler back then. Everyone was happy. There were no problems! I would like to know what people thought was “cool” then and what their style was. I would also like to know how different life was back then.

12. I know a fair amount about the sixties. I know it was very important because music changed, the Beatles the rolling stones all made a huge difference in rock and roll today. Most of the significant history was Martin Luther king gave his “I Have a Dream” speech, JFK was assassinated, and our troops were in Vietnam fighting. What I really want to know about the sixties was what was everybody’s favorite sport was and what school was basically like.

13. I want to know more about the space race. I only know that it was JFK that answered the launch of Spunik, and that Apllo 11was the first to be on the moon. I want to know the different rockets that were made and used.

14. What I know about the sixties is that Martin Luther King had a large impact on African American rights,Jhon F Kennedy was assassinated, the Beattles were popular, and Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.I would like to know more stuff about sports,and style.

15. I am not familiar with most of the sixties. All I no about it is that music was huge and JFK was assassinated. I’d like to learn about the sports because I’ve heard a lot about it. Also, the toys and cartoons were big hits and some of them are still watched/used today. Fashion from the 1960’s was very different from today’s from pictures I’ve seen and it is very odd. The 1960’s was a very important and interesting period in America and I’d like to learn more about it.

16. When I think of the sixties, I think of the Cold War, The British Invasion, Kennedy Assassinations, Space Race, Civil Rights Movement, and the Tet Offensive of the Vietnam War. My knowledge of the 1960’s is mostly limited to History, so I am eager to further my knowledge on that front. I know that the Cold War was in full swing, with the Cuban Missile Crisis causing mass panic in Washington and all over the country. That was the Cold War’s first real confrontation, notwithstanding the Korean War, in which Communist forces attacked, but only from the countries of North Korea and China. I know that the Cold War wasn’t really a war, but a standoff between the Soviet Union and the United States. In addition to the Cold War, the British invaded (not literally!) and started a musical revolution. The way pieces were sung and performed were changed forever, and these new bands like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and the Dave Clark 5. These international brands forever changed the landscape of American music, and paved the way for the bands of yesteryear. The Kennedy Assassinations were the killings of two of America’s most charismatic and influential politicians. John, the famous president, was shot and killed by Lee Harvey Oswald, while his brother was assassinated as well. The Space Race was an exciting and interesting time period, with both the Soviets and the Americans racing to put a man on the moon. The United States won when Neal Armstrong stepped onto the moon and uttered the famous words, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.” The Civil Rights Movement was all about desegregation and equality, one that ended in the end of segregation, but also the end of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s death, in a tragic shooting in a motel in the city of Memphis, Tennessee. Finally, the Tet Offensive was a huge military action that was a part of the Vietnam War. The North Vietnamese attacked United States and Southern Vietnamese positions, taking them by surprise in one of the most well coordinated attacks of the war. Overall, my knowledge of the 60’s is mostly limited to history, and I hope to expand the scope of my knowledge in that particular field.

I have a few questions about the 60’s that I hope will be answered in our upcoming unit on this decade. What were the TV stations that were operated? I know that it won’t compare to the scope of today’s networks, but which ones were operational? Besides the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, what were some of the other major bands that participated in the British Invasion? What were some of the major turning points that changed American culture? Are some of them still relevant today? Those are some of the questions that I would like to ask, and I hope that these will be answered, along with many others that may spring up along the way.

17. I don’t know much of the sixties, but I do know that JFK was assassinated, the Beatles became famous, The Jetsons was a popular show, we were in the Vietnam War, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated. Civil rights movements was very big.

I would like to learn about sports and celebrities. I would also like to learn about gangs and about how people acted in public.

18. I know some things about the sixties. First off the Cold War was starting to heat up with the cuban missile crisis, JFK was assassinated while in a parade, there was a great space race between the world’s superpowers, (countries such as USA, Russia, ect.), Martin Luther King shaped the United State’s future forever, and many famous band originated.

In general I would like to know a little bit more on what life was like in the sixties. I want to know what schools were like and what kids did for fun. Anything that would expand my general knowledge would also be wonderful to learn.

19. I don’t know that much about the 60’s. The only thing I know is about some music and the Martin Luther King’s speech “I Have a Dream.” All I know about the music is that the Beatles were an extremely popular group at the time. Then all I know about Martin Luther King is that he spoke out to save colored people, make them free, to make them be treated the same, and he succeeded. I want to know more about the fashion back in the 60’s.

20. I know of some of the events in the sixties, such as the Space Race, Martin Luther King JR. Speeches and his assassination, JFK assassination, and bands such as The Beatles.

I want to know other things about the sixties such as the fashion trends and hairstyles. Also how gangs were because I am guessing they are different from what we have now.

21. I know that in the sixties Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in 1968. JFK was also assassinated in1968. I also know that the Americans won the space race. In the 1968 Olympics Tommie Smith and John Carlos did a black power salute on the podium. The civil rights movement was very important at the time. The Beetles were famous during this time along with the supremes and many other bands. I also know that the Vietnam was going on during the sixties.

I would like to learn more about sports and maybe something about what life was like in the sixties.

22. I don’t know much about the sixties exept that the Beatles were a huge hit, and that JFK was assasinated. I did’t even know about the Space Race or men getting to the moon in the sixties until I heard about it in class. I would like to learn more about the Space Race, wars, and the greaser socier things in the sixties.

23. I didn’t know if “Space Race” or “Greasers and Sociers” were supposed to be capitalized or not or how to spell Sociers.Sorry.

24. The 60’s seems like it went by way too fast. There was so much that went on in this time period. Everything from presidential assassinations to the removal of racism. The one thing that I’m curious about, which I think will get answered in The Outsiders is what would a typical conversation be for people our age? (Ages 12-13). One thing I was very happy with when I learned that we will be reading this books that one of my best friends from Austin, TX. Who is now in 9th grader, read this book last year as an 8th grader. He got to do the same socs versus greases dress-up day. I will definitely be going to him for advice.

25. Obviously, the 1960’s was one of the most historical decades ever. From the space race with Russia and the US fighting to get to the moon first, to all of the African-American segregation, it was a huge 10 years. JFK was assassinated along with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. after his famous “I had a Dream” speech. The greased hair and leather jackets of the boys were accompanied by their shaggy or poofy straight haired dates just before the hippies came into play in the late 60’s. African-Americans lived in a different world than the Americans because of their lack of rites. The Beatles were a phenomenon that lived on longer than they did.

I would like to know more about the British Invasion and what sports were popular at the time. I would also like to know how daily life differed in the 60’s from now. Electronics back then are also interesting to learn about and observe how much we have evolved.

26. I know a little bit about the sixties. However, I know more about the space race between the U.S.S.R. and the U.S.A. It started when the U.S.S.R. launched Sputnik, forcing the U.S.A. to advance their space program thanks to President Kennedy. Music in the sixties was a big hit even to this day. I also know there were quite a bit of civil unrests between white and colored. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was also killed. The Vietnam War was at its peak and we lost 58,000 Americans. That war was between North and South Vietnam along with multiple allies on each side. Back home we had a cultural revolution with the younger generation. I would still like to learn more about the music and technology of the sixties.

27. I know some things about the sixties, but not a lot. I know that the space race was going on. JFK was trying to get the us to space and that Martin Luther King was fighting for an end to racism. I also know that the Vietnam war was going on and that British music was popular, especially the Beatles. Socs and Greasers were popular too.

I want to know more about what technolgy they had and what sports they played. Since the sixties is a new theme for me, I’m eager to learn more about it.

28. I’m no 60’s expert, but I’m kind of a nerd when it comes to the Great Space Race between the U.S. & U.S.S.R. during the Cold War. Even though I know a fair bit about that subject, I would still want to learn more. Even though I know 0% about this subject, they had horrible fashion. Well at least we think its horrible. Back then, I know it’s hard to believe, but I guess that’s what they liked back then.

Well like I said before, I want to learn more about the space race. There’s plenty more to learn, but that would be in-depth technological aspect point of view, rather than learning the moon landing date, (July 20, 1969, 20:17:39 UTC (8:17:39 PM Coordinated Universal Time) spacecraft type, (Saturn V) crew names, (Neil Armstrong, Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin and Michel Collins) and by now I probably bored you to death but I’m also into architecture, and everyone knows I’m a techno geek when it comes to some things, so I’d want to learn more about the technology of that time, and the architecture.