A Midsummer Night’s Dream

147177250Students, please choose one creative prompt to write on. Be clever and imaginative, not silly. Remember to stay true to what you know of the storyline so far.

1. Imagine that you are Hermia and write a letter to your father explaining why you are running away with Lysander. (In letter format)

2. Imagine that you live in Athens at the time this play occurs. Write a letter to the Duke Theseus stating your opinion of the law that gives fathers the power of life and death over their children. (In letter format)

1. Here is the letter I wrote to Hermia’s father about Hermia and Lysander running away.

Dear Father,
    As you are well aware, I have been “protesting” about the marriage of Demetrius and I. I have come to a decision on what I will do about this situation. I will not die, I will not marry Demetrius, and I will not become a nun. I am running away with Lysander. Why? Lysander is a worthy man, and he is as wealthy as Demetrius. Demetrius doesn’t love me, he only says he does. Lysander loves me. Lysander sings to me, gives me gifts, and he proves his love to me. If I were you, I would rather have my little girl marry a man who loves instead of one who only acts like he does. Lysander makes me so happy, Demetrius only makes me upset. Lysander is ten times better looking than Demetrius, and he is so much nicer, too. Lysander is equal to Demetrius, maybe even better. He has the same wealth, and he is a very responsible man. Lysander and I are in love, and I love him. I want my life to be a fairytale, and it will be with Lysander. If my life were with Demetrius, it would be a nightmare. Lysander loves me more than any person ever has, and I am running away with him. He Nothing can stop me from being with the person I most enjoy being around.

Your daughter,
    Hermia

2. #1
    Dear Father,
    I am refusing to marry Demetrius. I feel like this is my choice because this is my marriage and the person who I will be sharing love with for the rest of my life. I know you want me to marry Demetrius because you feel he’s noble, but if you take my shoes I bet you will feel the same about Lysander as I. From my perspective Demetrius is just an arrogant, selfish, fool is looking for someone to take control of. Lysander is better. He is actually interested in what I say and what I like. I have been getting to know him better and am starting to love him. I want to be with Lysander. He is “the apple of my eye”. Lysander also feels the same about me. We share similar thoughts and feelings unlike Demetrius and I. Demetrius loves me but I hate him. I don’t care about what you or the stupid duke, because I want to be with Lysander. I will not be present at home until you approve of my marriage. Therefore, I am running away with him and we will live a life just like a fairytale.

Your beautiful daughter,
    Hermia

3. My Gracious Father,

As the moon follows the sun I shall follow Lysander to the ends of the Earth. I cannot pretend to love one as cruel and cold as Demetrius. My love for Lysander burns brighter than a thousand suns. Although I respect thee father, and wish thee happiness throughout your lifetime, I cannot sacrifice my own. I were that you could see through my eyes.

My vision blurred by tears I write this letter by candlelight. Father, although I love you, I must leave you to be happy. My heart belongs to Lysander now, and I cannot forsake him. We are running away to night, as soon as the moon reaches its highest point in the sky.

Demetrius may love me, father, but I don’t not love him. I cannot become a nun because I could not bear leaving Lysander. I will not die, for why should I be punished by death for the emotions one feels. I am not bewitched, though you think I am.

Lysander sings to me under the moon. He is a real man who will sacrifice anything for me. Demetrius may whisper words of love in my ear, but I would rather a serpent bite my ear off. While Lysander is brave, Demetrius is a coward. While Lysander is smart, Demetrius is not. Lysander loves me, and his love is true. Demetrius is not a true lover.

Father, it took me a long time to choose betwixt leaving you or leaving Lysander. I know I made the right choice. Please think of me when I am gone. Perhaps our paths will cross again someday.

With love,

Hermia

4. Dear Father,

Goodbye. I am running away with Lysander. It seemed like the best thing to do since I defiantly didn’t want to marry Demetrius, live in a nunnery, or get a death sentence. I know you are probably furious with my decision but I love Lysander. If you could see him through my eyes you would understand. I love him and I will not let you get in my way. Lysander and I are going to be very happy together and I wish that you could just be happy for me. I realize you would like me to marry Demetrius but this is my marriage. I do not want to spend the rest of my life unhappy and being married to Demetrius. I would much rather be happy and married to Lysander. We are going to have a great life together. I hope you understand.

Your daughter,
    Hermia

5. Dear Father,

I refuse to marry Demetrius. I do not feel any sorrow for him or you, I feel this is a decision that should be on the weight of my shoulders and not yours. Although Demetrius may look to you as though he loves me, I know that he does not. Not as Lysander does. Lysander is in love with me, as am I. It would break my heart to have to marry anyone other than him. I will not die, for that would be just as bad as marrying Demetrius. I refuse to marry Demetrius, for that would be worse than dying and devoting myself to the church my becoming a nun. So Lysander and I have come to a conclusion that we shall run away together. Therefore we can live a happy life together and raise a family together. Father, there is no stopping me. As you know, I have a mind of my own and you will only be running into danger. Demetrius can be notified of our actions and I do not wish to see or hear from him ever again. I do not wish to hear from my father who does not believe that his won daughter can make a good decision in life. So father, farewell and may the new moon bring you happiness and understanding.

Your daughter,
    Hermia

6. # 1
    Dear Father,
    I don’t think its right for you to make me marry Demetrius. He is cruel, cold, and has made love to Nedar’s daughter. Demetrius is not a worthy man, and to marry him is as bad as dying. I know you don’t change your mind easily, but I ask you to look at the situation through my eye and then you will understand that Demetrius is not the right man for me.

Lysander is kind and loving, he is the best choice for me. Lysander is the worthier man; I don’t see why you don’t like him. That is why I am running away with him. He is the only one I can and ever will love. Please respect my distion and not try to find me because you won’t know matter how hard you try.

Love your daughter,

Hermia

7. Dear Father,
    I demand you let me choose who I marry. If you were in my shoes, you would be begging just the way I am to marry who you want. I know that Demetrius is the perfect kind of guy through your eyes, but through mine, Lysander is that perfect man who I want to spend the rest of my life with. So, because by the time I want to become a nun is when I’m dead (which I’m not choosing either), I’m running away with Lysander. Don’t try to find me (because you will not) and I don’t want a word from you.

Your daughter,
    Hermia

P.S. Good luck with your wedding.

8. Dear Father,

Because you will not let me be with Lysander I will run away with him far out of the reach of the stupid laws. I have never loved Demetrius. He is a weird jerk. Until you let me be with him I will not return. I hope that you will finally understand that should be aloud to choose who I am to marry. Lysander is better than Demetrius. He will love me for ever.

Love,
    Hermia
    P.S. Hi
    – Lysander

9. Dear Father,

I know you are well aware of this, but I refuse to marry Demetrius. I would like to marry Lysander, no acceptions. Lysander has the same qualities as Demetrius; if not, better. Demetrius is not a “clean” man; he has made love to Nedar’s daughter and in my eyes, he is unfaithful. Even though it is not the law, I would like you to look through my eyes to see how Demetrius would be an unfaithful husband. On the other hand, Lysander truly loves me; and I love him back. So, until you decide to see things through my eyes, I am running away.

Goodbye,
    Hermia

10. Dear Father,

I have realized that you want me to marry a kid named Demetrius but I love Lysander but you will not approve that but I refuse to marry Demetrius. So until you approve of Lysander and I’s love for one another I will be running away with him in the forest. If you ever want to see me again you should let me marry Lysander which is the one I love. If you could see Lysander and Demetrius through my eyes you would know which one to choose. Demetrius has already been with my bestfriend and I would not like that if I marry him I would feel like a stealer to my bestfriend.

Love,
    Hermia

11. Dear Duck Theseus,

I feel that I shall inform you about the law that states “The father should have the Devine right to have the power of life and death over their children” isn’t totally fair. I do agree that the father should have some power over their children, but can’t make the decision of letting them live or die. Currently, I have noticed the number of children in the Nunneries has been growing. I understand you have great power and could change this law. If you do Athens could be a better place for everyone.

Your Best Man,
    Corey

P.S. I am looking forward to your marriage with Hippolita.

12. Dear Father,

I love Lysander and Lysander loves me. That will never change. I will NOT marry Demetrius. And I will not die or become a nun. Marrying Demetrius would be worse than death. I am running away with Lysander. We will escape all the rules of Athens and go far far away to a place where we can live happily ever after. A place where I won’t have to listen to you telling me what to do and who to marry. Who I marry is my decision not yours no matter what Athens’ law says. I know you are very upset with me but I will be happier and maybe you’ll realize that my happiness should be more important than who I marry. I wish you could see Lysander as I do. He is an amazing person who truly loves me. Hopefully you’ll understand. Goodbye.

Your Daughter,
    Hermia

13. My dearst father,
    I have been upset by the recent turn of events and I am running away with Lysander. Don’t try to come and find me i will be long gone before you read this note. After I leave I would like all of the clothes that I do not bring on my trip to be given to Helena, as well as my hair ties and all other fine adornments. I have left you a lock of my hair as a memior to me after I leave. Don’t try to contact me or come looking for me for I will contact you again if you do as I say

Your loving daughter,

Hermia

14. I am writing to the Duke and I think that the law that the fathers chose who their kids marry. I think that they should have some input to whom they will marry. If they don’t listen to the punishment they shouldn’t die or forced to be a nun those both stink. Over all i think the law is really stupid.

15. Dear Father,
    I am writing this as my last words to you. You have disowned me and I am not going to put up with it anymore. You should see my point of view, too. I love Lysander; you may think that he has just won me over with gifts. You are very wrong. We are in love and there is nothing you can do about it. I am gone out of Athens. I will not miss you! Lysander and I are going to get married. Also, how can you not see past that creep, Demetrius? He dated Helena, my best friend. The only person I care about in this world now is Lysander. Our loves is much greater than some law.

Goodbye,
    Hermia

16. #1:

Dear Father,
    I’ve had it! I cannot take this any longer. These rules, your orders, my unhappiness. It should be my decision to marry whoever I want to. You should not have the right to make my decisions, especially when it comes to love and marriage. I love and care about you so much, but it’s just not fair. Lysander is perfect for me. Handsome, charming, sweet, and caring. He is what I’ve been looking for all my life. I will always truly love him. On the other hand, Demetrius is not the delightful man who has taken my heart. I refuse to wed Demetrius. I refuse to go to a nunnery. I refuse to die. I am leaving. Running away with Lysander. Getting away from this disaster. We will be happy in the forest. Alone. It was you and and the rules who caused all this. Farewell father.
    -Hermia

17. Dear Father,

I have chosen to run away will Lysander for the following reasons. First I don’t want to marry Demetrius, my life would be a nightmare, two I don’t want to die, and lastly I would not like to become a nun. You don’t see this, but Lysander is just as worthy as Demetrius, if not better. He shows me true love by singing to me and by giving me gifts, unlike Demetrius who shows fake love. I understand that by the Athenian law, the father gets to decide for whom his daughter will marry. If you only knew what it’s like from my prospective, then you would know the right choice for me. May the new moon bring you and Hippolyta a joyful wedding. Farewell father.

Your daughter,
    Hermia

18. Dear father,

This may be hard for you to understand but I am running away with Lysander. I know you don’t approve but you can not keep me from my true love. The reasons for my departure are simple. I don’t want to marry Demetrius, die, or become a nun. I love Lysander and there’s nothing you can do about it Goodbye forever.

Your daughter,
    Hermia

19. Dear Father,

I am running away with Lysander because, you are refusing to let me marry Lysander. I just can’t stand the fact about how you are making me marry someone I don’t love. I have found that the best thing for me is for me to run away with Lysander so I can be happy and live a plesent life. If you still have not found out I love Lysander not Demetrius. I dislike how you can’t see that I just don’t like Demetrius. I wish you could at least understand my love for Lysander and feel happy for us so we all could all have great lives. This is my life and I should be able to choose who I marry. I refuse to live all of my life unhappy. If I was married Lysander I would at lest have something to look up to. We will have a great life together so I hope you will too.

Your daughter,
    Hermia

P.S.- I love Lysander.

20. Dear Duke Theseus,

I heartily agree with the ancient law stating that us fathers should have absolute power over their offspring. It is an ancient law, one of the concrete ideas that form the supporting pillars of our mighty city. Although it is highly doubtful that young whelps appreciate this guiding hand, as they grow they will most certainly see the logic of a father who controls their lives. After all, once they reach a certain age, they will miss a firm hand to control and guide them, to make decisions for them because they are the right ones. Unfortunately, rearing a child is hard, and sometimes, it is necessary for a father to harshly control a young one’s life, or even end it prematurely. This is a grievous yet necessary deed, and should never be a power to be relished and used thoughtlessly. I hope that for most, if not all, that time will never come.

With respect and honor,
    Your Advisor of Military Affairs

P.S. I have my doubts about Egeus’s daughter, Hermia. She might be one of the few of the especially unruly who might have to visit the chopping block!

21. Dear Father,

I have run away with Lysander, and you will never find us. I well never return unless the rules change and I can marry who ever I want to marry. The rules should say that a woman doesn’t have to marry who their father wants them to marry, it should say that a woman can marry who ever they want even if their father thinks she should marry someone else. Also Demetrius is a jerk and I hate him. I love Lysander and he loves me back so we are perfect together.

Your daughter,
    Hermia

22. Dear Father,

It pains me to write this letter, but you have to understand that it is the only thing I can do. I do not wish to give my heart to Demetrius. He doesn’t make me feel like I’m floating through the stars when he looks at me, nor does he make my heart beat fast when he sings to me, and he definitely doesn’t give me small gifts that take my breath away every time… I refuse to become a nun, or die, because either way I’ll be without my true love, Lysander, and without him, my sun, will have no warmth, my trees, no beauty, and my heart, no beating. I know you think this is the best for me, but, you’re not thinking from my point of view. Demetrius doesn’t love me, unlike Lysander… Lysander and I have come to the conclusion that, you will never see through my eyes and see what you are putting me through. Therefore I have chosen to run away with Lysander. Then our love can blossom, and we can finally be together without worrying about being apart or losing each other forever. Don’t bother looking for me, because you will never find me. Again father I will deeply miss you, but at least you will know that I’m happy where I am now.

-With Much Love Hermia

23. #1

Dear Duke Theseus,

I believe that this law is one of major importance to Athens, and that without such an act, children would be given more freedom than they are able to handle at this early time. It is laws like this that form the great empire that we are now. This young one fellow believes that she should have some input, but if this were to occur, all of the people would be led to believe that you are a weak and flexible leader. No, what you have done is show that you are a firm, unrelenting Duke with respectful views of how to run a simply fantastic city. This is simply a letter of thanks for raising this great empire.

24. Dear Duke Theseus,
    In the recent days it has become quite apparent that a trial of distinct interest is being held in your courts. As an Athens citizen, I am well obliged to the law towards fathers having life and death power over their own children. Although I am a gentleman, and wish not to manipulate your views upon this trial, I would ask for you to read this letter and understand the true moral cruelty to this law. You see, love is a very delicate, passionate, and most of all, a beautiful feeling. When a man and woman are by chance bonded by this mysterious element, they should have the free will to do as they please. No matter the class, profession, or personal interests should one’s father become an enforcer in such a graceful relationship. When I heard of Egeus splitting Hermia away from her dear heart Lysander, my own feelings turned a very dark shade of blue. So Theseus, I ask that before you marry your Amazonian sweetheart, you will change this law and give romantic freedom to the youngsters of our dear metropolis.
    Ps. Whatever you do, please don’t kill the sweet daughter Hermia
    Sincerely,
    Sir Kiernan

25. 2. Imagine that you live in Athens at the time this play occurs. Write a letter to the Duke Theseus stating your opinion of the law that gives fathers the power of life and death over their children.

Dear Duke Theseus,
    I beg of you to hear me, not the law, when you read this letter. True love is not something to be wished away in a well, it is true and good. Faeries cannot make it vanish, and death will never vanquish it. It is the purest form of love, not created by a potion or told upon by a father. What you feel cannot be felt by anyone else except for whom you share this feeling with, your significant other. For I, being a maiden, do not wish my father to tell me what love is or who to love. He knows not what I feel for any man and cannot recreate this emotion in himself. He is purely trying to gain from my marriage or to make me unhappy, and I have no other choice than to believe such. Why would a father make his child marry a man she does not love if not for this? I know not. I have come to you, Duke Theseus, to beg you to hear me now, as I come to you in the same light as every girl my age. We do not wish to be told who to love, we love who we love. If a father cannot understand this, it is up to you to make it right. Us women know what we want, but Athenian law is preventing us from being logical about it. I get my soul removed if I wish not to marry who my father says? Or nunnery? Death is better than nunnery, nuns are forever cut off from who they love, at least in death you think not of him for your thoughts are forever silenced. But death is unreasonable as well. I love a man and my father loves another, but I have no choice than to part with him. See this as I do, dear Duke, and know that this law may have seemed logical at one point in our history, but we need to evolve. Let yourself be the one that changes maidens’ lives forever.

Your humble follower,
    Tessa

26. Dear Duke,

Why do you have to make the law the way it is? It frustrates many people like myself to no end! I think we should make a compromise, there should be a fourth option, win a battle in court. It would probably be better for everyone else to live with, instead of either marrying a man you do not like, going threw a nunnery, or be put to death. And also if the person wins in court, they get to do whatever they want with their life! Very nice, right!?

I hope you see my reasoning in this entire case.

Sincerely, King Arthur

27. Dear Father,

I have had enough with the whole Demetrius and I deal. So I have chosen to run away with Lysander where nobody can tell us what to do. I obviously don’t want to marry Demetrius and I don’t want to be a nun. Also of course I don’t want to die. So I hope I see you again later. Tell Demetrius to give Helena a chance. She is a very nice girl and should try their relationship again. I will be back after I feel it is safe to show up again. Please don’t come after me because once (or if) you find me I would just run away again.

Goodbye Father,
    Hermia

P.S. I wish the Duke to have a great wedding.

28. Dear Father,

Since you and I have been caught up with all of this mess with me marring Demetrius. I have decided to run away with Lysander into the wood. If you ever want to see me ever again then you will let me marry the man that I want to Lysander. I don’t want to be a nun or die so this are my last words to you father. So if you want to see me let me marry the man I want to.

Your Daughter,
    Hermia

29. Dearest Father,

I’m truly sorry, but I can’t take it anymore! Your power over me, your rules, Athens’ rules, it’s all too much. I deserve to be somewhere where I can be with the man I love, which is NOT Demitrius. Please don’t take this offensively, because I still love you very much. But, my longing to be with Lysander is much greater than any other love I could have. Much greater than Demitrius, and MUCH greater than your power over me. It is MY decision who I want to marry, and I’m going to marry the man I love. Alone. Without the WHOLE city throwing a party for us. We’re running away to his aunt’s place. For good. Get used to it, Father. I’m not the little girl I used to be. I love Lysander and I am standing up for the person that I love. Farewell, Father.

Love,
    Hermia

30. Dear father,
    I refuse to marry Demetrius. I don’t care weather it’s your say or not, I will not spend the rest of my life with someone I don’t love. Why don’t you like Lysander anyway? He is just as good of a man as Demetrius is! Although I refuse your orders I still love you because you are my father, and because I love you I’m telling you that Lysander and I are running away. We shall et married and have our own life there. This might mean I will never see you again. This is why I’m writing this letter to you; if you accept the fact Lysander and I are in love and you allow us to get married, I would have not to make such drastic decisions. If you do happen to change your mind, contact Helena, she can deliver the message.
    Love you,
    Hermia

31. Dear Fathetr,

I am sorry, and It hurts me to tell you that I can no longer live here in Athens because of the rules and I will not get married to Demetrius because you said so. Because of this I am running away with my true love Lysander. We are running away where your rules and the rules of Athens do not affect us and we can get married.

Love,
    Heria

32. Dear Father,
    Sorry to put a damper on your precious, little, wedding plans for me, but I am running away with Lysander. Demetrius is annoying and downright boring. He doesn’t even truly love me, but Lysander does. You may think that Demetrius loves me but you’re wrong, he loves you and has your love not mine. Lysander sings to me, gives me presents, and he’s the most wonderful man in the world. I am NOT going to marry Demetrius, or be a nun, and I am definitely NOT dyeing. I don’t care what the law says; I should have a right to marry who I want to marry. If you change your mind about Lysander tell Helena. She will know where to find me. If you don’t change your mind, then I guess this is goodbye.

Your Daughter,
    Hermia

33. #1

Dear Father,

I cannot take it anymore. Your going to far with all of this! I can’t believe that you would give your own daughtor the choise to die! That is why I most inform thee that I shall be running away. I shall not be doing this alone, but with non-other then my beloved Lysander. I love thee, father, but my love for Lysander is greater then anything I have ever loved before. I cannot see why you can’t just want what’s best for me? I have thys own flesh and blood. Lysander and I shall be happy where we are running away to. We will be wed there live our lives as happy husband and wife shall. We will have children, and do whatever we want. You will never find us where we are going, for it is hidden, somewhere far from this horrid place, and far, far, FAR, away from Demetrius. I don’t understand, just because YOU love Demetrius does NOT mean that I have do and I WONT! As i said before father, I love thee with all my heart, but I love Lysander just the same. I hope you understand, you have driven me to this decision.

-Hermia

🙂 :)—–SARAH!!! A-BLOCK!

34. Dear Father,
    Lysander and I have decided to run away together where no one can judge our love! I wish you could understand, but that is nearly impossible. I think it is extremely unfair how you are treating me! If you were in my shoes then you would know how I feel. Lysander does love me and I love him too. I wish you could see that. I know that he gives me beautiful gifts, but that is one of his ways of showing his love towards me. Demetrius is a man of selfishness. Also, if I marry Demetrius, my best friend Helena will never speak to me again. I love Lysander. He also made his point. He is as good a Demetrius. In fact, he is twenty times better. You will never see Lysander in my eyes. I love you, but I love Lysander too.
    Your daughter,
    Hermia

35. Here is the letter I wrote to Hermia’s father about Hermia and Lysander running away.

Dear Father,
    Lysander and I have decided that we are going to run to a far off land where no one can judge our love. We will be free and there will be no on to stop us loving each other. We think that it’s very wrong the way that you get to choose who I have to marry, even if I don’t want to marry the person that you have choose. Tell everyone that I said goodbye and love them. I love you sooooooooo much.
    Your daughter,
    Hermia

36. Dear Father,
    By the time you find this I will be long gone. Your poor decisions on who I shall marry have led me to the conclusion to run away. I shall not be alone though, I will be with the one I love, Lysander. Together we will be wed in a place where no one will tell us otherwise. After starting our family, we will settle in another town. Demetrious is a fine young man. He may be strong and wealthy, but I don’t need all that. It seems as though you chose the perfect man for you, not the one you have known for years. Lysander proves his love, he brings gifts and writes poems about me. He makes me my own crown of flowers! Someday you must grow up and face that because I’m old enough to marry, I’m old enough to make my own choices. Farewell Father.

Deepest sorrow,
    Hermia

37. Dear Duke Theseus,

I completely approve of the law that our forefathers have been guided by for generations. Why desecrate a law with sound intentions, especially when it has never been proved wrong? The power to control your children’s actions needs to belong to the father because he has had years of experience, and knows more about the child’s relationship than the child itself. When the kids grow up they will realize that they need to control their children’s decisions. Younglings are to naïve to understand things such as affection. They need to put more faith into their elders as we did while we were still learning the odds and ends of the place we call home.

Sincerely,
    Timmy

38. Dear, Duke Theseus I think your idea is great for 2 reasons. My first is that we can decide who our daughters marry and if the person is worthy enough. My second reason is that if our daughters disagree with us we can make them a nun or kill them which I believe to be cruel. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter my dearest Duke Theseus.

Sincerely,

Philip M

39. #1
    Dear Father,
    I swear on my life I will never marry Demetrius. Nor will I become a nun or die. I am running away with Lysander, my love. He is the man I deserve to be with. Demetrius already has a woman waiting for him, Helena. She loves him very much. Lysander and I will be together forever.

Sorry,
    Hermia

40. Dear Duke Theseus,
    The law is a good and bad decision. The good things are as follows: fathers can keep their daughters under control, and daughters most listen and cannot and shall not do anything bad against their father’s will. It is a bad decision, as well. Many daughters will be killed just because of their father not being accepting of their daughters wishes. The law has a worse downside than upside so the law should be outlawed. Please allow for the lovely maiden, Hermia, to be spared and be allowed to marry Lysander. Thank you for your time, Sir.
    Sincerely,
    Luke

41. Dearest Duke Theseus,

How dare you! Even though I am a father myself, I am appalled by these laws over total control over my daughter. They should be able to make some of their decisions on their own. (But not all of them) They should be able to marry the ones they love, and if it ruins their lives, so be it. That way it’s their own fault, not mine. Would you liked to be forced to marry a woman you didn’t want to? Just think of your dear wife-to-be, Hippolyta. Is she happy? Food for thought.

Also, I think they should only be able to join a nunnery if they want to. I would never treat my daughter as a piece of land. You shouldn’t put a price on a human head. You should change the laws, or I will invade your palace with my private army, and take over.

Sincerely, Antonymous

42. #1

Dear Father,
    I will start off by saying that Demetrius is a horrible, man. Lysander is a much better man that he. Lysander is generous, caring, and most of all I love him. I guess I am doing no good by trying to make you see that Lysander is perfect for me. That is why we are leaving Athens for ever. We are going away and never coming back. The law in Athens is entirely to harsh. The main reason why I am leaving though is because you are awful, how can you be willing to let your own daughter die because she won’t marry the man you picked for her. It is unforgivable what you have done to me and It is my decision who I will marry. You have made it all to clear that you don’t care if I die or not. Anyway there is no way you will ever see me ever again.

Farewell,
    Hermia

43. Dear Father ,

I have decided to run away! I think you are being completely unreasonable with the desitions you are making. I love Lysander, not Demetrias. your pretty cool though.You need to be reasonable. I lov you a lot but you need to have control on your life.

44. Dear Duke Theseus,

I think that all these people disagreeing with you is an outrage. Athens has had this rule for a long time and we have thrived. I think that anyone who disagrees shall be be executed. Your law must be enforced and I will always support this law.

Your satisfied citizen,
    Lysander

45. My Beloved Duke Theseus,

I am writing to you on the behalf of all Athenian fathers with arrogant daughters. Our daughters are being rather foolish, and they are refusing to wed the fine men that we have chosen for them. Your law MUST be thoroughly enforced, however I believe that the option of becoming a nun should be excluded as one of the choices. Either our daughters marry whom we select, or be put to death at an instant! It is absurd how our daughters are also running off with men whom we have not chosen for them, so there should be a patrol system guarding all escape routes of Athens. If they see one of our daughters trying to escape with an unselected man, both the daughter and the savage should be taken to the courthouse at once, where you will determine their immediate death! Your law is a very important one to our Athenian society, but with a few modifications us fathers will have more control over our daughters.

I hope you take my opinions into account,
    Sir Anon Y. Mous

P.S. I hope all goes well with you and Hippolyta.

46. Dearest Father,

I wish I did not have to do this, but I am running away with Lysander. You think you know what is best for me but you do not. If only you could see Lysander and Demetrius how I see them. If you could, I know you would understand. I simply refuse to marry Demetrius. I do NOT love him. Dying really is not something I want to do any time soon, and becoming a nun does not work for me either. I just want you to know that I love you. I really do. But your domineering attitude just drives me insane and I cannot take it! You think you know Lysander but you do not. And do not tell me what I do and do not know. Lysander does love me. He treats me like a man should treat a woman, Maybe you view love in a different way. I am truly sorry that I have to do this. But there is no other way that I can be happy, so we must run away. Goodbye Father.

Love,
    Hermia

47. Dear Father,

I have decided what my choice will be, although it is really none of the above. I’m running away with Lysander, for he is my one true love. Although you say that he is not truly in love with me, I know in my heart you are wrong. He does send me gifts, but only because these are tokens of our love, and this is not all he does for me. He loves me in a way that Demetrius can’t.

Lysander truly loves me, and I love him back. This is very important to me, and I’d rather marry someone I love than someone I don’t. I know that you would like me to be happy, and you are only doing what’s best for me, but if you saw Lysander through my eyes you would see that we are meant to be together forever. I do not want to wed Demetrius, and Lysander is just a worthy, brave, smart, wealthy, responsible and gentlemanly man as Demetrius (if not more so).

I hope have a wonderful time at the Duke’s wedding. They will be very happy together, as Lysander and I will be. We will not be returning, so don’t bother looking for us.

Best regards,
    Hermia, your daughter

48. Dear Father,

I wish that I didn’t have to do this, but it must be done. Because of the stupid law, Lysander and I are running away together. I absolutely do not want to marry Demetrius, I don’t want to be a nun, and I don’t want to die either. Sadly, these are the only options that the law allows, so Lysander and I are going far away from Athens, where the law won’t affect us. If for some reason, you change your mind, that’s perfectly fine, but by then, Lysander and I will already have a life together. Don’t bother coming after us, nothing will change my mind or Lysander’s mind. Both of us hope the rest of your life is filled with luck and fortune. I will miss you father.

With love,
    Hermia