The Stuff That Dreams Are Made Of ~ Fairy Tales! ~ We Begin A Midsummer Night’s Dream

afrog 014aMany of us have been fascinated by the existence of fairies. Often, fairies are believed to be supernatural creatures in human form. They live in an imaginary place called fairyland and cause mischief in the mortal world through their magic. Many films and stories that you are familiar with, such as Sleeping Beauty, Aladdin, and Cinderella, are about solitary fairies. There are very few stories about fairies that live together as a community in fairyland. These fairies are called trooping fairies and live in kingdoms where they spend a great deal of time dancing and singing. A Midsummer Night’s Dream’s fairyland is populated by trooping fairies.

Fairy tales are powerful stories that spark imagination. The ones we know tell a story about a fairy/witch who gets what he/she wants/needs through a magic spell. The traditional setting of a fairy tale is a dark forest. There is always a conflict of sorts which results in a happy ending.

Students, which fairy tale is your favorite and why?

Who is your favorite character and why?

What are you looking forward to in our reading of the play?

In case you have forgotten…….Beauty and the Beast, The Frog Prince, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Snow White are just a few fairy tales…….PLEASE do not just pick from the list I started……you probably have a favorite I didn’t mention.

1. This blog is really hard for me because I don’t really like fairy tales, so I don’t have any favorites. But if I had to choose one, it would probably be Shrek. My favorite character is obviously Shrek the ogre. Why? Well, he’s the main character and he’s big and green. In the play, I’m looking forwards to what happens to the bumbling idiots.

2. My favorite fairy tale would have to be Aladdin. As a child it was one of my favorite movies and I enjoyed watching it. Both the music and story line were amazing. Aladdin himself is my favorite character; he is witty, clever, and street smart. He is also very determined, determined enough to risk his life once to get the girl of his dreams, then save the girl of his dreams. It’s a classic fairy tale right?

I am very excited to be reading Shakespeare’s works. Once at a certain camp I have read his very famous, “Mid Summers Night Dream” and truthfully, I was very impressed. I am certainly happy to reading it again, and cannot wait for the second experience.

3. My favorite fairytail is deffinitely The Little Mermaid. I used to watch it all of the time when I was younger, and when it was over, I would watch the whole thing in rewind. I loved it because it is just a great storyline. It also just seems so creative.

My favorite charactor is sebastian (the crab). I love his over protective, goody two shoes attitude. Plus, i love his Jameican accent. I think he is like a perfect character.

I have always heard of Shakespeare, but i havent really read any of his original plays. I’m also excited to hear about the three plots, and some of the humor in it. I like how this play is unique from the others because the others are tragedies, but this one is a comedy.

4. My favorite fairytale is probably Shrek. I have always loved watching the Shrek movies. There just so funny and they have such a good storyline. I think it’s clever how Shrek includes other fairy tales. My favorite character from Shrek has to be Donkey. He’s so funny everything he says makes me laugh.

In A Midsummer Night’s Dream I am looking forward to acting out all the scenes and learning all of Shakespeare’s words.

5. My over all favorite fairytale would have to be Snow White. I like this fairytale because of the story line and all of the creative characters. My favorite character would have to be Dopey because he never talks but you can sense what he is thinking through his actions. He is also very clumsy which makes him very funny.

What I am looking forward to most in the play is the six townspeople putting on a performance for Theseus’ wedding. I think acting it out will be a lot of fun, as well.

6. The fairy facts were really interesting, Mrs. Cobb! I didn’t know that you knew all of that!

I know that “Cinderella” is on the list but, it is my absolute favorite one! I used to watch it all the time when I was little and I still watch it now. I love the story line! It was made very cleverly! I also love the interaction with the talking mice and the humans! It’s so cute!

My favorite character is Cinderella herself! She used to be my role model. She was treated so hard by her wicked step-mother and all she wanted was to follow her dreams, be free, and help others.

I can’t wait to start “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” I have always wanted to read it and see the play but I never have. I love the sound of the story line and I would love to act out the fairy queen, Tatinia!!

7. Fairytale, is a word that usually is never used in my house. We spend our time watching sports, playing sports, and watching action movies. Even as a child I was less interested in fairytales than how well the Gators played. Alice in Wonderland would have to be my favorite because it is the only one I can remember seeing (ever). My favorite character would have to be Cheshire Cat. He would be my favorite character because he is constantly smiling just like me. Some of my friends even call me Chippy as a nick name like Chip and Dale (the two chipmunks) because I am always smiling. I am most looking forward to seeing and laughing at the other boys acting abilities. I’m not saying that I am an amazing actor but my grandmother was an English and drama teacher.

8. My favorite fairy tale is “The Little Mermaid.” I think that the story line and plot of the story is so cute! My favorite character is The Little Mermaid herself. She is just adorable and she just wants to be with the prince no matter if he’s a mermaid or not. I love how she fights for what she wants.

“A Midsummer Night’s Dream” seems like a very good book. I performed part of the play one time and it was so much fun! I can’t wait to do it in class. I want to see what is going to happen with Hermia and Demetrius.

9. My favorite fairy tale would have to be Peter Pan. I saw that movie over a hundred times when I was a kid, and I still love that movie today. My favorite character would have to be Peter. He is my favorite because he is almost always laughing and always joking around. I remember when I was a kid I wanted to be like Peter Pan and fly away to Neverland to never grow up. I use to wish I could go on amazing adventures with Peter.
    In the play, I am looking forward to seeing how the three different stories interact with each other. The reason why I look forward to this is because if the three plots don’t have any affect on each other, there won’t be any interesting twists in the story. I am pretty sure that the fight between the fairies is going to have a huge affect on the lovers (I don’t remember what to call them).

10. I don’t know if Pocahontas counts as a fairy tale but that was my favorite (except the tree that has a face scared me. And oh my gosh there is a second one now!!! My Nanny and I always used to watch it and we still do now,) since I don’t know if I can use it I will use my second favorite and it’s Shrek. I love Donkey he is my favorite character. He always makes me laugh. I loved the plot of the movie, and I still enjoy watching it today.

For the play I’m looking forward to finally reading something by Shakespeare and I think it will be fun acting out the scenes.

11. I absolutely love all of the Disney Princesses stories! I love what it’s about and that no matter what the dangers are in the story, it always ends up with a happily ever after. ☺ I have to admit that I still like Disney Princesses. I don’t know why, but I guess I just like the thought of how so many different people can have such different, great adventures. I also think I am one of the people who just don’t want to grow up. ☺

But my all time favorite would be Cinderella. I like how a poor servant girl becomes this beautiful princess, while her terrible stepsisters don’t get anything. I also like how Cinderella is nice, even when she is treated like garbage in her own house. And how Cinderella gets a fairy godmother and a beautiful ball gown, that is one of my favorite parts! Also, when the prince chooses her (that put a HUGE smile on my face).

I am looking forward to the part in the play with the six towns guys. I really want to see how the people in my class are going to act it out. I really, really hope they make it funny, with weird accents and stuff.

12. Out of all of the wonderful fairy tales out there I think that my favorite would have to be the Little Mermaid. When I was little I would always want to be a mermaid. My favorite character in the movie and book is, of course, Ariel. I have always thought that her hair is so pretty and so is she! I loved how she is a princess, and I loved how she would always go off to look for stuff from the human world. I always loved how she sang and I always thought that her voice is so beautiful. Plus her little fish friend is SOOOO cute!! I love him!

I am only kind of looking forward to a
    MID SUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM. Only because I think that the language is kind of annoying and hard to understand and it’s sort of long.

P.S I love the title of this blog!

SARAH A BLOCK!

13. Oh, but what I am looking foward to is the humor and the ending..to see who Hermia will get to marry. Oh, the fairies!!!

14. My favorite fairytale is The Little Mermaid. When I was little I had been fascinated by that movie and am still today. When I was in second grade I had this friend named Halie, and we would always pretend to be mermaids in my pool!!! My favorite character would have to be the Prince. I like him because when I was little I had a big crush on him! I would used to pause it when it was his scenes!!!
    I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with the tension between Hermia and her dad!

15. My favorite fairy tale is Aladdin because it is funny and has action all in one. In Aladdin my favorite character is Aladdin’s monkey Abu because he is funny, curious, and acts a little like me. I am looking forward to finishing the play and having fun with it.

16. My favorite fairy tale would have to be Shrek. The only disk that I can remember watching is the second. I didn’t watch many fairy tales and this is the only fairy tale that I remember that is really funny. My favorite character is Donkey. Donkey is funny, stupid, and relentless with his questions and jokes. I love how he says stuff totally randomly. In A Midsummer Night’s Dream, I’m mostly looking forward to the types of words they said and their pronunciation. I’ll enjoy reading the book and will like doing acting.

17. My favorite fairy tale is Beauty and the Beast. I like how Belle is not the typical princess she is just a towns girl and I like that. Most princesses are already a princess but Belle is different and she is natural. Belle is my favorite character because it is not a regular just a prince they have to fight together to be the better person. I’m looking forward to see how the end of the play turns out who she will marry or if she will marry anyone.

18. My favorite fairytale is red riding hood because red outsmarts the wolf. My favorite character is the wolf because he thinks he has a great plan but he doesn’t. I am looking forward to how they describe the play within the play.

19. My favorite fairy tale would have to be “Mulan”, which is based on an ancient Chinese legend, which according to google officially makes it a fairy tale. Of course being a little girl in America I have seen all the typical princess movies, and none of them impressed me like this one did. Mulan is defiantly my favorite character, I think she’s the only liberated Disney princess.
    I’ve already read the book, but I am looking forward to observing my classes acting skills.