The Human Footprint and Track My T

Do you know what your human footprint is? Your human footprint is how much of the world you consume during your lifetime. Please visit the National Geographic website of The Human Footprint to find out how many of each item you consume during your lifetime and how that measures up with the rest of the world.

Explore each item at the top of the website and be sure to watch the “behind the scene” videos. There are photos to view too.

The Human Footprint

What interesting things did you learn about your human footprint?

Have you ever wondered how your favorite tee shirt is made? Track My T is an interactive website that shows you how a tee shirt is made from beginning to end. Click on “track a Random T” to begin your journey. Be sure that you explore all the tabs.

How was your journey?

1. Out of the two websites I would half to say the human foot was the most interesting to me. I had no idea that I ate that many eggs in my life time that was amazing. I ride about 24 miles in a car everyday in my life and that turned out to be way more than I thought in my life. The Track my T was pretty cool to. I had no idea that, that many steps went into making one little T-shirt. I was really shocked. I thought it was make the string and sew it together I had no idea that it took a whole bunch of huge machines just to make one little T-shirt. It is crazy. I am still shocked about the human foot thing I had no idea that it took that many trees for only that little bit of news paper. Just amazing to me.

2. I was very fascinated by The Human Footprint website. I said I have four slices of bread a day and it turns out I would be eating 113,515 slices of bread on average in my lifetime! That would be 56,757.5 sandwiches I would eat in my lifetime! WOW! That means I would eat 25,995 more slices than the average American! Actually, I was even more fascinated by the fact that the average American eats his or her weight in bread about every three years!
    The soda part was the most shocking. I said I would drink two cans of soda each week (I do not drink that much soda) and it said I would drink 8,086 cans of soda in my lifetime! It sounds like a lot until you see the average American drinks 43,371 cans of soda in their lifetime! That stretches 3.42 miles, which also means 50 football fields with end zones! WHOA!
    I did also notice that the Japanese eat and drink so much less than the Americans do. It was very interesting even though the Americans eat a lot and drink almost as much (maybe even more). I thought The Human Footprint Website is really cool and I am definitely going to check it out soon!
    The “TrackMyTee” website was definitely not my favorite and I do not want to visit it again, but I still did manage to find a couple somewhat interesting facts.
    The only part of the website I really took a good look at was the cotton gin part.
    Eli Whitney was the inventor of the cotton gin. It removes the seeds from cotton and turns it into a very profitable crop. Basically, the gin was a wooden drum stuck with hooks that pulled the cotton fibers through a mesh. Since the cotton seeds couldn’t fit through the mesh, the fell outside. Cotton Gins are still used this same way today.
    After the cotton goes through the gin and exits without any seeds, they are pressed into blocks called bales. Cotton crops are sold in these bales, which way 480 pounds.
    Out of the two websites, I definitely liked The Human Footprint website more because I found the facts about how may slices of bread I will eat in my lifetime way more than the facts about Cotton Gins and Eli Whitney.

3. I never knew I would take 32,344 showers in my life time. That’s more than double of showers the average UK person would take! I don’t think they care about their hygiene that much. 28,433 five minute showers equal running water for 98 days?! That’s insane! I would have never guessed taking five minute showers could take up so much water! I’m going to try and cut down on my showers now.
    In my opinion, I don’t like what they did with the egg project. They shouldn’t have wasted all those eggs. They at least could have fed them to homeless people or something like that instead of just throwing them away.
    Over all, the Track my T website was ok. It was kind of disorganized, too confusing, and not that interesting. It wasn’t as fun as The Human Foot Print. I loved learning about how many cans, or showers, or newspapers you would use up.

4. I liked how the Human Footprint had so much information just about food. I never knew that 19,826 eggs weigh 1.3 tons
    It takes about 43 trees to make a lifetime of newspapers for U.s citizen.
    From the 65,000 dairy farms in the U.S. each cow pumps out 6.5 gallons each day.
    627,000 miles is like driving around the planet at the equator 25.18 times.
    5,607 bananas will travel 11 million air miles to reach of our mouths. I also liked from track my-t how there were different sections for the different stages paper has to go through before being sold.

5. Seeing how much of a carbon footprint I will leave in my lifetime was really cool. I rarely ever have eggs or read the newspaper, but it was very interesting how the average Japanese person consumes 27,559 eggs during their lifetime. That is much more compared to the U.S. and the U.K. I was honestly stunned at how much milk I drink. Over the course of my life I will drink 40,430 glasses of milk, and that is even more than the average person from the U.K. will drink. I will drink 2,110 more glasses than the average person in the United Kingdom. It turns out that I won’t travel that far in a car. The miles I will drive in my lifetime only exceed the Japanese. I wasn’t surprised that the U.S. drives the most and, it is very cool how the American average is like driving around the equator 25.18 times!

I really never have any bananas or soda however it is really cool how Americans recycle enough cans to power 1,118,000 homes for an entire year. I was astounded to hear that the United States average person uses over 700,000 gallons of water for showers alone in their lifetime. I, like bananas and soda don’t have too many potatoes. I was blissfully unaware of how many diapers a baby needs. The average U.S. baby uses 3,796 diapers for their lifetime. That’s more than a thousand than what I guessed. I eat so much less bread than the average person from the U.K. I will eat 45,078 compared to 102,678 slices of bread overall in my lifetime.

I found it rather annoying how for some of the amounts I couldn’t say I consume it because I don’t have it every week. I may still consume those things I just don’t have them periodically.

The track my tee website had a very cool layout. It is very amazing that now tractors can be GPS guided. I like how instead of pesticides the Binghams use the ladybug to keep other bugs away. I had never even heard of a Cotton Gin until today, but it seems very helpful. It takes out all of the seeds so people don’t have to do such a laborious task. I feel bad for Eli Whitney because the patent law wasn’t around when he invented the Cotton Gin. He had to spend all his money on defending his invention and this caused him to go to the brink of bankruptcy. It is very clever that the left over fabric can be turned into more shirts. It is resourceful and cost effective not to let anything go to waste. If I used cold water in the washing machine just once a week I would decrease my carbon footprint by 276 pounds!

Learning about my carbon footprint and how my tee shirts are made was a really fun experience.

1. Nicely done, Timmy. I try to do most of my laundry using cold water, never realizing I’m decreasing my carbon footprint at the same time!

6. When I was doing the Human Footprint I realized that I don’t really eat eggs. I can’t remember the last time I had eggs. Eggs are like, eat a egg to live kind of thing, I just don’t eat them. It’s not because I’m allergic I don’t usually eat them for breakfast. Now newspapers that’s a different story, I like to go out a buy a copy. Lucky for me there’s a newspaper machine where I live. I love to read, even if it’s news. And after I’m done reading it I will recycle. There’s also a recycle plant near where I live too.
    Eeww milk, I can’t stand the taste of milk. But it’s good right after you eat pancakes or French toast, or with syrup or honey. I really could not put in how many miles I drove each day. It was different each day. Plus I didn’t know. Bananas, I go bananas for bananas. I eat about 8 a week. I don’t drink soda, my parents aren’t very wild about it ether. Not that it’s bad for you it’s just that carbonated drinks are not my thing. I take seven 5-minute showers a week. That’s 35 minutes in a shower per week. Potatoes I only eat 1 every week. That’s 4,043 in a lifetime, now that’s a lot. Three slices of bread a day. That’s one for my toast, in the morning and two for my sandwich, at lunch.
    Track my T shirt at first I had no idea what kind of tracking they did but now I know. Originally I thought it was going to be a “what happens after you through your shirt away” kind of thing. What is really was it was the tracking the cotton plant, to the textile mills, to the stores that you buy the shirts at.
    But I can’t believe how fast the textile mills move. They are like lightning. I can’t believe that. It takes a lot of people to make a shirt. Eleven, I thought it would be like 5 or 6 but eleven.

7. That is insane, I will only eat 3,285 slices of bread, drink 8,086 sodas, and eat 8,086 potatoes in one lifetime. The average for the U.K. is 102,678 slices of bread, 49,717 sodas, and 56,734 potatoes in one lifetime. One thing I did not like though was how they kept repeating how they recycled the stuff in the end or if the stuff was donated. My favorite part was how you could compare yourself to the U.K., Japan, and America.

Wow, that’s a lot of processes just for a shirt, it makes me think that a shirt should be worth more. A cool fact I learned was once the cotton season is over the farmers might plant corn, peanuts, and even sesame. Another cool fact I learned was in the textile mill they even use water bottles and recycle them into fabric. When they cut and sew the fabric scraps are broken down and turned into cotton yarn. Over all I thought Track Your T was the best.

8. I thought the Human Footprint was awesome. I liked the website a lot. I like learning how many eggs I eat and how much milk I drink. I also didn’t know that just reading three newspaper is just like cutting down one tree. I also never knew that diapers were made out of oil. That was probably that most interesting thing to learn about diapers. I really enjoyed the Human foot print.

I thought that the Track My T website was awesome also. It was very interesting learning about how many places just one of my T shirts goes to until it gets to me. The cotton grid was a cool thing to learn too. I really like this blog and I hope we have another one like this again.

9. Wow, Track My T had so much information! I loved all the things I learned on my journey. The seven steps in making a T shirt were very interesting. Some I knew, but some I didn’t. There was so many machines being used before a T shirt makes it to the store.
    I had no idea that 20% of all US cotton came from Texas and the cotton gin was invented by Eli Whitney and I have not even heard of him. The yarn spinner was also huge, but it makes sense because the cotton had to go through a lot of stretching and pulling to make yarn. I like that the yarn pallets are reusable and that the textile mill also could use recycled plastic bottles to make polyester fabric. At the cut and sew plant it amazed me that there were so many people sewing T shirts so close together working side by side. I also noticed the sewers were using sewing machines that sewed and cut at the same time.
    I never knew making a T shirt had so many steps and used so many people and resources. I think we all should think about all the clothes in our closets next time we need to go shopping.
    The website Human Footprint showed me how I left my mark on the world. The website had ten categories. The categories showed me how much of something I’ll use in my life. The categories were eggs you eat, newspapers read, glasses of milk you drink, miles you drive, bananas you eat, sodas you drink, showers you take, potatoes you eat, diapers a baby needs, and slices of bread you eat all in your life time.
    I was mostly below average on all the categories. It was interesting that Japan either had the most or had the least in each category. When I was in the egg category, I found out that I will eat a lot of eggs over my life time. I will eat around 12,129 pounds of eggs, but I was below average! Japan eats the most eggs per person, and they eat 27,559 pounds of eggs. The average weight of eggs eaten in an American’s life is 1.3 tons, which is the weight of a mini cooper! The next category that was interesting to me was about newspapers. The funny thing was that I don’t read newspapers. I read everything online and I like online better because it’s easier to get news on sports, famous people, or weather. Whatever you need is just one click away. The last category that surprised me was how much people shower in their life time. If you really think about it, people shower a lot and we use a lot of water. Maybe we should all take one less shower to save gallons and gallons of water.
    I learned on Human Footprint and Track My T, that we all make our big mark on the world, so why not make it one by using less.

10. It was very cool to see how big my carbon footprint actually is. I knew it was going to be big but I had no idea it was that big. As you probably know I am a big kid and yes I eat a lot, but for me to eat 41,586 eggs in my lifetime seems ridiculous! I also didn’t know that hens produce 77 billion eggs per year. Also the fact that I could drink 40,430 sodas in my lifetime totally freaks me out. (In a bad way)
    I also had no idea that it takes a third of a pound of cotton to make a tee shirt. I didn’t know that switching your washing machine to cold water once every week could cut down my carbon footprint by 275 pounds. Out of the two websites I liked track my tee the best because I had no idea that cotton had so many steps to go through before turning into a tee shirt.

11. My journey through the Track My T was so much fun. I loved the idea of letting kids learn how their favorite t-shirts are made. I thought it was really cool to watch the videos of how people make t-shirts. My favorite part was seeing the cut and sew video of how they took the stacks of cotton and cutting them into shirts and sew them. At first I did’t know if I would like it or not, but I ended up really liking it.

I found the Human Footprint to be very interesting to be able to learn about how much I will eat in my lifetime. I drink about 21 glasses of milk per week I will drink about 84,903 glasses in my lifetime, that is more than U.K.,U.S.,and Japan in one average lifetime!Each cow produces about 6 1/2 gallons of milk per day out of all the 65,000 dairy farms in the U.S

On the other hand, I only drink 1 soda per week that means I will drink about 4,043 sodas in my life which is less than U.K.,U.S., and Japan in one average lifetime. It says that americans recycle enough cans to power 1,118,000 houses for a whole year!

Also, I take about 8 showers per week which means that I would have taken 32,344 showers in my lifetime, which is again more than the U.K.,U.S., and Japan. I usually take a 5-7 minute shower that is equivalent to leaving the water on for 98 straight days!

Overall, I enjoyed the two websites a lot.

12. The Human Footprint website amazing me. The high numbers the came up were unthinkable. When I put the amount of showers I take per weak, it came up with 700,000 gallons of water! That’s a lot of water! It said that if you take seven minute showers the shower will be running for a consistent 138 days, that a lot of wasted water. I was almost always lower than the other number. The amount of that other people eat is very impressive, that’s were all the bread went ha. When I put that I drink 12 glasses of milk every weak, which I do, it said that I would drink a little over 10,000 glasses of milk more than an average American. I hardly have any bananas so it was interesting to see how many bananas other people eat.

I’m going to write about sewing and cutting. In the plant there are nearly 700 sewing machines working at once, I though that was amazing. It said that a regular large sized t-shirt needs up to 243 feet of thread. That’s a lot of thread. The company that makes the thread makes a ton of thread used for everything, sofa, clothing, and even car seats. They are called AandE and they are one of the world’s biggest manufacturers of thread. It said, ”In one way or another you are probably sitting on or wearing something AandE helped make.” I thought about it and I was amazed on how much thread the really make. The scraps of a t-shirt are thrown into a bin. All the scraps are used the make new shirts! It consists of a three step process, and after that it is re-spun into recycled cotton yarn, and then finally, there shirts! I noticed especially in the AandE thread video that the workers work so fast and so efficient. They hardly have to think about it, it’s like a second nature. It must get boring just sitting there all day and moving your hands. The “Sewing Team” consists of eleven parts, one hems sleeves, another closes sleeves, and another hems bottoms, another joins shoulders, another sets the collar and label, another topstitches the collar, another sets shoulder tape, two parts set sleeves, and the last two inspect the t-shirt to make sure it is put together correctly. After that the shirt is made!

13. When I used The Human Footprint I thought it was very useful. It told me how many eggs I will eat in a year, or how many bananas I eat in a week and it compared me to the rest of the world. I now realize I take more showers than most people and that I should cut back. I read facts on The Human Footprint and found out that the U.S. average equals twenty-five gallons of water per shower. That means if I take a shower above average, I use more than twenty-five gallons per shower. That’s a lot of water!

I thought the Track My T journey was really cool because it told me how they made the t-shirts, got their materials, and how they made their materials. The animations were really cool and it made the information interesting. I never knew how many steps it took to make a “simple” t-shirt.

14. I never imagined how much “stuff” I use! Especially regarding how much water I use while taking showers. The amount of seven minute showers I will take in my lifetime is equal to running the shower for 136 days nonstop! Another crazy thing I found out is that people in the United Kingdom take 14,440 showers on average in their lifetime. People in the United States take 28,433 showers on average in their lifetime. That’s more than double the amount of showers people in the U.K. take! I guess that shows how
    different places use more or less of certain things.

I probably eat around two eggs per week. Which is 8,086 eggs in my lifetime. Even though that is less than half of what an average U.S. citizen eats in a lifetime, the eggs will weigh more than half a ton!

The thing that surprised me the most is how reading one newspaper a week can affect the world. It takes about thirty-four trees to make my average of 4,043 in a lifetime. That might not sound that bad, but listen to how many trees it would take to make all of the U.S newspapers in a year. 152,800,000! That’s if everybody only used 4,043 newspapers in a lifetime. The average U.S. citizen uses 5,054 newspapers in a lifetime.

I thought the Track My T website was really cool! It showed me how much effort, work and time goes into making one of my t-shirts. The thing I thought was interesting about the Organic Farm was that they made stuff like peanut butter in their off-season. I feel so bad for Eli Whitney! He invented the cotton gin and he didn’t get any of the profit! I also thought that It was interesting how the leftover scraps of t-shirts get turned into more t-shirts!

I think both of the websites show how just one person can make a huge impact on the earth in bad and good ways!

15. I thought the web sites were very informative. I liked The Human Footprint more because I really liked finding out that when I eat about four potatoes a week, I would eat about 16,172 potatoes in my lifetime. I don’t think anyone eats diapers though. 😛 (It’s a joke for those you think I’m serious) I did not know about the cotton gin until now though, and that part the t-shirt assembly line of it was produced in Central America. I, however, didn’t like when The Human Footprint shot the commercials, some of the stuff didn’t get recycled. For example, with the eggs, think of all the starving people you could have fed with them. But nooo, they had to waste it for a stupid television shoot. Any who, that’s what I thought of the web sites. This is Chase J, signing off.

16. I would have never known that a human footprint is how much a person consumes (not just food but also natural resources) in their lifetime. I didn’t expect the average American to eat so much. I realized that I eat a lot less than most Americans. Although I do eat more bananas. To me it seems a little excessive that most Americans drink about ten sodas per week.
    I much rather prefer water than soda.
    I thought that it was interesting that the average American takes more than one shower per day. In one lifetime, if the average American takes a five minute shower, they would use as much water as the shower running nonstop for nintey-eight days. It seems pretty disgusting that the average Japenese person doesn’t shower everyday. The average person from the U.K. showers even less that every other day.
    Americans do not read the newspaper as much as the Japanese. I would think that Americans would read the newspaper a lot more than they do. I thought that adults read the news paper every day. It takes forty-three trees to supply a lifetime supply of newspapers for the average American.

1. I thought it interesting too that the Japanese read more newspapers than us.

What did you find out about from the tee shirt site?

17. I never thought about how much of something I eat, drink, or use. It’s crazy how much milk I will drink in my lifetime. I will probably drink 56,602 glasses of milk in my lifetime. I was over the average milk for the US, the UK, and Japan. The website said that I will take 28,301 showers in a lifetime. I never thought that I will take so many showers. I thought it was weird how the UK always had a higher life average in all things except showers. I knew Japan would always have the lowest averages. I thought The Human Footprint was a very interesting website to look at.

In the website Track My T, I looked at a cotton gin shirt. I never knew there were that many steps to making a t-shirt. I also didn’t know how people make shirts. It was way different than what I imagined. I thought picking cotton was hard but not anymore, after I saw the huge tractor it made picking cotton look so easy. I thought Track My T wasn’t as good as The Human Footprint because it wasn’t as interesting.

18. I really enjoyed both websites, but my favorite one was The Human Footprint. It really shows you how much it really takes to get something to you. I also liked how it shows you the average in Japan, UK, and America. I enjoyed learning where I fitted in.

Now on the other hand the website Track My T wasn’t really interesting. It didn’t keep me reading. What i did find interesting was finding out how are t-shirts are made. It starts out from a cotton sead and turns into a t-shirt I wear everyday. I really enjoyed both websites and hope they’re more to come.

19. All I can start off saying is WOW! I cant believe how much milk I am going to drink in my lifetime. I wonder if that is wasteful? I really don’t like to think about how hard those poor little cows had to work to make my milk. From now on I will not waste my milk and only poor what I will need! 40,430! That’s about how many glasses of milk I will drink in my lifetime. WOW!

I can’t believe how many steps it takes to make one simple T-shirt! I had no idea that 20% of all US cotton came from Texas! I would have never known. I can’t even believe how much cotton is actually made! From now on I will limit my T-shirt needs and only buy what I need! I am going to start being green. Hopefully the majority of this website will do the same.

I learned a lot of information from both sites. I think they are both very cool. I can’t believe how much milk I actually will end up drinking! Although, that is partly a good thing… I will not waste anymore! It’s just so interesting to me how kids can actually track their T-shirts! I might actually do this more often with more of my T-shirts then just doing the random one.

20. The human foot print was so cool! I learned a lot about myself and other countries.

I learned if I eat about two eggs a week then in a life time I eat about 8,086 in a life time! That’s nothing compared to the United States average with 19,826! That ways about 1.3 tons! Even that doesn’t compare to the Japanese average of 27,559 eggs in a life time!

With about seventeen glasses of milk a week, I drink a lot! That’s 68,731 glasses in a life time! That is way above the average human will ever drink! The average human in the U.S. will drink about 26,112 glasses in a life time! Leading behind my milk drinking score is the U.K. with 38,320 glasses in a life time. While Japan only has as few as 10,549 glasses of milk in a year. There are as many as 9.2 million cows at being milked each day! All the cows in one area of land is equal to about the size of Louisiana!

Bananas are a great for stomach aches, but on average I personally will only eat two to four a week. I use them for very yummy smoothies, assorted with many other fruits and yogurt. If I eat only two a week that’s about 8,086 in a life time! That’s way more then the U.S average with only 5,067. That’s twenty-eight pounds a year! The U.K. has as many as 8,216 bananas in a life time per human

As for the Track My T, I thought it was really interesting and was surprised by the things I learned. Some people have worked there for many years.

In order for the cotton to grow it needs a lot of sunshine. In the Northern Hemisphere planting time begins between February and June. Then the harvest begins in the fall. It takes about a third a pound of cotton to make the average medium shirt. With around 35,000 cotton farms around the U.S, Texas has the most cotton made in a year with 4.5 million! That’s twenty percent! Big boxy cotton things called modules are used once the cotton is harvested. The cotton is pressed in to the big boxy thing and is about ten feet high! Then they are hauled on to a truck and driven to the gin.

Eli Whitney, the inventor of the gin, invented it in 1792. The purpose of the cotton gin is to remove the cotton seed from the cotton. Once the cotton has gone through the cotton gin, it is turned in to blocks of cotton called bales of cotton. Each can way up to a whopping 480 pounds!

A big green machine called a top feeder. Its job is to separate a certain amount of cotton so it can be cleaned and cleaned, stretched and once again cleaned. White and green stacks called yarn pallets are used to hold the cones of yarn and taken to the textile room.

The textile mill is for coloring your shirts. They are colored and the folded in big piles of fabric. Then shirts are cut and sewed. With eleven people working on one shirt, the floor has hundreds of people working at once and around 700 sewing machines on at once. Then all the scraps are recycled and used for more shirts!

The shirts are then sent to a six-teen acre room where they are sent to a store near you! They go by truck, boat and even plain just so every store can get the shirts! Now that I tracked a random tee, I want to get my own and track my own tee!

21. After looking at both websites, I discovered something that I never thought that I would. Even though, I only eat one egg a week I still will eat 19,826 eggs in my lifetime which weighs 1.3 tons, that’s 2600lbs!

When I came across the tag for news papers, I knew they didn’t refer to me because we don’t get newspapers where we live so immediately thought of my grandfather, who reads the newspaper the old fashioned way flipping page to page to see what is going on in the world. It turns out that he gets the St. Pete Times and The Tampa Tribune every day, that’s fourteen papers per week, which not to my surprise uses a lot of paper, in fact he has used 56,602 in his life time just based on the numbers.

What surprised me was how much water I use in the shower. After taking ten seven minute showers every week, I will have taken 40,430 showers by the time I die, and that’s enough to run the water nonstop for 136 days!

The Track My T website was the most exciting for me because I got to learn how they make shirts today and if you ask me, I had no idea that it took so many steps to create a simple t-shirt. The thought that went into the designs of the machines like the cotton gin, the top feeder, the textile mill, and the complex sewing machines was genius! My favorite machine was the cotton gin and its simple way of getting the seeds out of the cotton. Believe it or not before the cotton gin the cotton farmers would have to hand pick out the seeds themselves!

22. I had heard of the human footprint before, but I never really known what it was. I didn’t know that I eat about 4,376 loaves of bread per year, more than the aveage person in the U.S, UK, and Japan. I can’t also believe that when I eat an egg, I am also eating the truck, fridge, and the pan used to cook the egg.

With the t-shirt one, I couldn’t also believe how much effort went into one t-shirt. There were so many stages to go through and so many people helping.

23. You might not think that five eggs a week is a lot, well guess again five eggs a week is more than the average American eats in a life time. In a lifetime I would have eaten 20,215 eggs. I also would have drunk 48,516 cups of milk which is more than half of the amount an average American would nave drunk in a lifetime (that’s a lot of milk). I’m not much of a soda drinker in a lifetime I would have drunken 12,129 cans that’s still a lot, but not compared to how much the average American drinks in a lifetime (43,371 cans of soda). I really liked the Human Footprint it told me things that I didn’t know about myself. I liked the way it compared how much you used to how much the average American, average Japanese and average British people used.

Track My T was pretty cool too. I learned so much about how t-shirts came from and how they were made. I learned that Texas was one of the main states that produced cotton. Texas alone produces twenty percent of all the United States’ cotton. I also learned how a cotton gin works and how it removes the seeds from the cotton. I like how the pallets used to carry the cotton are reused to cut down on waste. I also learned that after the yarn has been knitted they become rolls called “greige goods,” and each roll is about 350 feet. I really liked this site I liked the way it was organized and set up. I never thought I could get so interested on a topic like this.

24. (Revised for punctuation)
    I’ve watched Nat Geo specials before, but this one was just insane. Falling bananas, roads covered in milk cartons, bulldozers filled with eggs, even rubber duckies! A tip of the hat to the amazing production team, who pushed the crew to the limit, but created a fun educational learning experience that people of all ages would love. Before watching this, I gave little thought to the large scale effects of my carbon footprint on the environment. This has inspired me to go out there and take better care of our planet and myself.

I also learned some very unusual, yet interesting facts. Some were good, while others were bad. For instance, did you know that this year alone we will kill 191 million trees to supply our nations newspapers? Or, that bananas are transported 11 million miles across the planet to their destinations. Even babies are consumers and create over 3,000 diapers before they’re potty trained. Although, I’m still not convinced that an average American takes 132 more showers than I do in my lifetime.

Now moving on to Track My T. Pretty amazing how a t-shirt goes from cotton on a farm to being run in a cotton gin, spun into yarn, processed in a textile mill, cut and sewn, then sent to the distributing center where it’s shipped to a store near you. Not to mention, all of the countries where t-shirts are produced…China, the US, Guatemala, Venezuela, I even have a shirt from Pakistan! Can you believe what a rip off Eli Whitney had happen to him? The cotton gin would have made him a fortune if people hadn’t copied his idea. Thankfully, we now have patents to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

25. I thought that the Human Footprint and the Track My T websites were truly amazing websites. The Human Footprint showed you just how much of everyday items you consume in your lifetime, and then compares your results to averages in other countries. Another really cool feature of the Human Footprint is the behind the scenes videos. They actually collected a U.S. average for one lifetime of each of the everyday items and video taped them to show viewers just how many of the everyday items they use in their life times. I thought the eggs behind the scenes video was the best out of them all because not only did they collect 19,826 eggs, they also let them splatter all over the floor (although it was kind of wasteful). Another jaw-dropper was how much water I use in my showers! Constant running water for 98 days straight is a lot!

The Track My T website was very interesting how a simple cotton tee shirt goes through so many steps to become a finished product. First of all, it is amazing how a shirt starts out as a cottonseed, grows into a cotton plant, goes through the gin, goes through the top feeder, into the textile mill, on to cutting and sewing, and finally to distribution and you receiving the shirt. It is a cool and long process, but I did sometimes find the text and videos on the website a little boring. One of the coolest facts I learned on the website is that it takes eleven people to cut and sew together one tee shirt. Overall, I thought the website was just OK.

26. I really thought the Human Footprint website was cool. It was interesting to see the recources that I used, compared to other people in this country and other countrys. Compared to all the country averages, I will eat a lot less eggs. I was surprised that people drink so much soda! I put in four cans per week and I thought tha was a lot, but according to the Human Footprint website, I will drink 16,272 in my lifetime, but the American average is 43,371! I think that is a lot of soda. With the shower resource, I don’t think I would like to live in the United Kingdom. Their shower per week average is less than 3.6! I don’t think that is pleasant. The Human Footprint website was very interesting.

As for the Track My T website, WOW! I never knew there are so many steps just to make a T-shirt. All the machines were so cool. My favorite was the cotton gin. I liked the cotton gin link in the cotton gin section. I liked it because it showed the machine in motion. I still can’t belive that it take eleven people to make just one T-shirt.

27. Wow my footprint is a lot bigger than a size six and a half! When I went through all of the food, water, and “objects” I was glad to see that I used less than an average American, well besides the shower part. The videos and pictures that they showed of all of the products were astounding! The milk cartons were one of the products that scared me the most. I couldn’t believe how many there were! My favorite picture was of the U.S.A bread flag.

To be honest, I thought that the tee shirt website was kind of confusing, but after I went through the steps a couple of times I got it. There were a lot more steps to making a shirt than I thought. First there are farms that grow cotton, and then the cotton is harvested and sent to a factory that has Gin Machines that remove the seeds from the cotton. Next, a yarn spinner cleans, and spins cotton into yarn. Then a textile mill turns cotton yarn into fabric. The fabric is then sewn and cut together to make a shirt. The shirts are then sent to a distribution center to be shipped off to suppliers, so we can buy them!

28. When I first went on the Human Footprint site and saw how much it takes to get the egg to me and the electricity it takes to keep the egg cold, I didn’t believe it. The fact that all the eggs I eat in a lifetime would weigh the same as a mini cooper is crazy. Another thing that was unbelievable was that it would take fifty-seven hens laying eggs for one year to equal the amount of eggs I eat.
    One of the things I read on the site said that if the average amount of soda cans consumed by an American in a lifetime were recycled that it could power one million one hundred and eighteen thousand homes for one year. That’s insane.
    One of the most interesting things I read on the website was that in an average American’s lifetime they drive six-hundred and twenty-seven thousand miles. That’s like driving around the Equator twenty-three point eighteen times. Wow!

I thought the Track My T website was very interesting. I can’t believe how many steps it takes to make a simple cotton t-shirt. It takes many steps between when the first seeds are put in the ground to when the shirt is ready to wear.
    First, the cotton seeds have to be planted and harvested.
    Next, the cotton is moved to a place where the seeds are removed from the cotton. The machine that takes on that task is called a cotton gin.
    After that, the now seedless cotton is transported to a yarn spinner. Here is where the cotton is transformed into yarn. The containers used to transport the yarn are returned to their original factory to help cut down on waste.
    Next, the yarn is moved to a textile mill where it’s woven into large sheets that your t-shirt will be shaped from. Everything used at the textile mill is recycled.
    Did you know it takes eleven people to make a cotton shirt? That’s where the next step comes in. After the sheets arrive at the factory that shapes the shirt, the sheets are formed into a shirt.
    Next, the shirts are taken to a plant where they get distributed all over the world.
    So, as you can see there is a ton of work, energy, and material that goes into making a simple cotton t-shirt

29. The Human Footstep was an amazing website. I was blown away by how it calculated how many eggs I will eat in my lifetime. The website was very user friendly which I loved. I also loved how it had a variety of different items that can be considered as the human footprint. I learned that I will about 34,344 eggs in my lifetime. Isn’t that crazy, because to me that’s amazing.

The website Track My T was pretty cool. When I went to the website I tried entering in my favorite Quik Silver shirt it didn’t work but I still checked out the random T and I thought that it was pretty cool.

To me I liked the Human Footprint more because I like learning about what I consume and use more than learning about my clothes.

30. I thought both sites were interesting. I found out I will eat a lot of eggs and will drive a lot of mile in my life. I liked how this site was interactive. I thought it was cool how it calculated your numbers into the answers.

I didn’t like this site very much. I personally thought it was too hippy like. It was sort of cool how you watched how shirts being made. I learned that the journey to make a shirt is long. I really thought this was an O.K. blog.

31. I thought that the human footprint was very interesting and scary at the same time. This was interesting by how much we consume and how much we take, but looking for another point of view it is scary. How much food and showers we take is just over excessive and I take long showers so my number was 40,430 and the regular number is 28,433 that’s a big difference. I think this website is could also help lower down these numbers to help save more.
    Track my T was not as exciting or could help anything. I felt like it was just useless. It was kind of interesting to see how the plain t-shirts journey. The pictures helped and the information on who came up with the first things such as the cotton could be important in the future. The back round was also cool.

32. The Human footprint website was surprisingly very interesting. It was amazing to see how many showers I will take in a year and to compare it to how many showers The U.K will take. In the poll it is averaged that I will take about 36,387 showers in my life time. Now thats a lot of water wasted. I was very surprised to see that the U.K will take about half as many showers as I will. That just shows how different people live their lives in different countries. Studies show that 28,433 seven minute showers are equal to running your water nonstop for 136 days straight. Wow, I usually take 20 minute showers. Image how many days the water would be running if you took 28433 20 minute showers. In general I think this a great website. It truly shows how people from different countries do things differently from people in the USA

The T shirt website was also very interesting but in a completely different way. It was very interesting to read that Texas grows about 20 percent of all cotton in the USA. Now thats a lot of cotton. Another fact that interested me was the many steps it took to make a t shirt. Over all, both the websites had great information that can be used in everyday life.

33. My human footprint was a pretty cool website. I enjoyed seeing the impact I made on the world. I noticed that I was usually a lot less than average. It really was fun and interesting. Some of the stuff they did was awesome. The track my T website wasn’t as cool. There was a surprisingly tremendous amount of work put into one t-shirt. I felt that it got a little bit boring.

34. I thought that the human footprint was a very interesting website. I never new one person could use that much stuff! I how is that possible? It was truly amazing! The track my T website was less interesting but, I still liked it. I thought it was cool how T-shirts could be made from plastic. Also, I never knew a shirt had to go through so many things to get to you! It was insane, but interesting.