February 12, 2010 * With Glowing Hearts* Vancouver Olympics

skiCN_7164The winter Olympics will be held in Vancouver, Canada beginning February 12th until the 28th.

Please read the following information on the Olympics from TeacherVision:

Winter Olympic History

The move toward a winter version of the Olympics began in 1908 when figure skating made an appearance at the Summer Games in London. Ten-time world champion Ulrich Salchow of Sweden, who originated the backwards, one revolution jump that bears his name, and Madge Syers of Britain were the first singles champions. Germans Anna Hubler and Heinrich Berger won the pairs competition.

Organizers of the 1916 Summer Games in Berlin had planned to introduce a “Skiing Olympia,” featuring Nordic events in the Black Forest, but the Games were cancelled after the outbreak of World War I in 1914.

The Games resumed in 1920 at Antwerp, Belgium, where figure skating returned and ice hockey was added as a medal event. Sweden’s Gillis Grafstrom and Magda Julin took individual honors, while Ludovika and Walter Jakobsson were the top pair. In hockey, Canada won the gold medal with the United States second and Czechoslovakia third.

Despite the objections of the founder of the modern Olympics Games, Baron Pierre de Coubertin, and the resistance of the Scandinavian countries, which had staged their own Nordic championships every four or five years from 1901-26 in Sweden, the International Olympic Committee sanctioned an “International Winter Sports Week” at Chamonix, France, in 1924. The 11-day event, which included Nordic skiing, speed skating, figure skating, ice hockey, and bobsledding, was a huge success and was retroactively called the first Olympic Winter Games.

Seventy years after those first cold – weather Games, the 17th edition of the Winter Olympics took place in Lillehammer, Norway, in 1994. The event ended the four-year Olympic cycle of staging both Winter and Summer Games in the same year, and began a new schedule that calls for the two Games to alternate every two years.

Year No Location Dates Nations Most medals USA medals

1924 I Chamonix, FRA Jan. 25-Feb. 4 16 Norway (4-7-6–17) 1-2-1– 4 (3rd)

1928 II St. Moritz, SWI Feb. 11-19 25 Norway (6-4-5–15) 2-2-2– 6 (2nd)

1932 III Lake Placid, USA Feb. 4-15 17 USA (6-4-2–12) 6-4-2–12 (1st)

1936 IV Garmisch-Partenkirchen, GER Feb. 6-16 28 Norway (7-5-3–15) 1-0-3– 4 (T-5th)

1940-a – Sapporo, JPN Cancelled (WWII)

1944 – Cortina d’Ampezzo, ITA Cancelled (WWII)

1948 V St. Moritz, SWI Jan. 30-Feb. 8 28 Norway (4-3-3–10), 3-4-2– 9 (4th)

Sweden (4-3-3–10)

& Switzerland (3-4-3–10)

1952-b VI Oslo, NOR Feb. 14-25 30 Norway (7-3-6–16) 4-6-1–11 (2nd)

1956-c VII Cortina d’Ampezzo, ITA Jan. 26-Feb. 5 32 USSR (7-3-6–16) 2-3-2– 7 (T-4th)

1960 VIII Squaw Valley, USA Feb. 18-28 30 USSR (7-5-9–21) 3-4-3–10 (2nd)

1964 IX Innsbruck, AUT Jan. 29-Feb. 9 36 USSR (11-8-6–25) 1-2-3– 6 (7th)

1968-d X Grenoble, FRA Feb. 6-18 37 Norway (6-6-2–14) 1-5-1– 7 (T-7th)

1972 XI Sapporo, JPN Feb. 3-13 35 USSR (8-5-3–16) 3-2-3– 8 (6th)

1976-e XII Innsbruck, AUT Feb. 4-15 37 USSR (13-6-8–27) 3-3-4–10 (T-3rd)

1980 XIII Lake Placid, USA Feb. 14-23 37 E. Germany (9-7-7-23) 6-4-2-12 (3rd)

1984 XIV Sarajevo, YUG Feb. 7-19 49 USSR (6-10-9-25) 4-4-0- 8 (T-5th)

1988 XV Calgary, CAN Feb. 13-28 57 USSR (11-9-9-29) 2-1-3- 6 (T-8th)

1992-f XVI Albertville, FRA Feb. 8-23 63 Germany (10-10-6-26) 5-4-2-11 (6th)

1994-g XVII Lillehammer, NOR Feb. 12-27 67 Norway (10-11-5-26) 6-5-2-13 (T-5th)

1998 XVIII Nagano, JPN Feb. 7-22 72 Germany (12-9-8-29) 6-3-4-13 (5th)

2002 XIX Salt Lake City, USA Feb. 8-24 77 Germany (12-16-7-35) 10-13-11-34 (2nd)

2006 XX Turin, ITA Feb. 10-26 85 Germany (11-12-6-29) 9-9-7-25 (2nd)

2010 XXI Vancouver, CAN Feb. 12-28

a-The 1940 Winter Games are originally scheduled for Sapporo, but Japan resigns as host in 1937 when the Sino-Japanese war breaks out. St. Moritz is the next choice, but the Swiss feel that ski instructors should not be considered professionals and the IOC withdraws its offer. Finally, Garmisch-Partenkirchen is asked to serve again as host, but the Germans invade Poland in 1939 and the Games are eventually cancelled.

b-Germany and Japan are allowed to rejoin the Olympic community for the first time since World War II. Though a divided country, the Germans send a joint East-West team through 1964.

c-The Soviet Union (USSR) participates in its first Winter Olympics and takes home the most medals, including the gold medal in ice hockey.

d-East Germany and West Germany officially send separate teams for the first time and will continue to do so through 1988.

e-The IOC grants the 1976 Winter Games to Denver in May 1970, but in 1972 Colorado voters reject a $5 million bond issue to finance the undertaking. Denver immediately withdraws as host and the IOC selects Innsbruck, the site of the 1964 Games, to take over.

f-Germany sends a single team after East and West German reunification in 1990, and the USSR competes as the Unified Team after the breakup of the Soviet Union in 1991.

g-The IOC moves the Winter Games’ four-year cycle ahead two years in order to separate them from the Summer Games and alternate Olympics every two years.

Olympics: Fun Facts

by Mike Morrison

1. American Myer Prinstein finished runner-up in the 1900 long jump in Paris, despite not even showing up for the finals. Prinstein, a Syracuse University student, was instructed not to participate in the finals on Sunday, the Christian Sabbath. Qualifying jumps counted back then, so he took second on the basis of those. As legend has it, he was so angry at eventual gold-medal winning jumper Alvin Kraenzlein for competing in the finals that he punched him in the face.

2. The 1912 Greco-Roman wrestling match in Stockholm between Finn Alfred Asikainen and Russian Martin Klein lasted more than 11 hours. Klein eventually won, but was too exhausted to participate in the championship match, so he settled for the silver.

3. Did you ever wonder why the official distance of a marathon is exactly 26 miles, 385 yards? In 1908, the marathon standard was set at exactly 26 miles. However, at the Olympic marathon in London, it was decided that the royal family needed a better view of the finish line. Organizers added an extra 385 yards to the race so the finish line would be in front of the royal box. And it’s been that way ever since.

4. The five interlocking rings of the Olympic flag symbolize the five continents of the world (Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and the Americas) “linked together in friendship.” Olympics founder Pierre de Coubertin claimed that at least one of the rings’ colors (blue, yellow, black, green, and red, along with the white background) was present in each country’s national flag.

5. World record, but no gold medal: In 1924, American Robert LeGendre shattered the world long jump record with a leap of 25 feet, 4 inches. However, the jump was part of the pentathlon competition and LeGendre could muster only a third-place finish overall. The actual long jump competition was won with a jump of 24 feet, 5 inches.

6. Stella the Fella – Poland’s Stella Walsh (Stanislawa Walasiewiczowna) – won the women’s 100-meter race at the 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles, becoming the first woman to break the 12-second barrier. When she was killed in 1980 as an innocent victim in a robbery attempt, an autopsy declared her to be a male.

7. Danish rider Lis Hartel won the silver medal in the 1952 equestrian dressage event in Helsinki. Hartel suffered from an inflammation of the spinal cord known as poliomyelitis, which required her to be lifted on and off her horse each time.

8. Before there was Kerri Strug, there was Japan’s Shun Fujimoto. In the men’s team gymnastics competition in 1976, he actually broke his kneecap while performing in the floor exercise. The following day, however, he needed a top-notch performance in the rings for Japan to secure the gold. With no painkillers, he performed a near flawless routine and stuck to the landing, putting a tremendous amount of pressure on his injured knee. He grimaced in pain as he held his position for the judges, then finally collapsed in agony. Japan won the team gold by just four – tenths of a point over the Soviet Union.

9. And you thought they just used a match. Did you know that traditionally the Olympic flame in Olympia, Greece is rekindled every two years using the sun’s rays and a concave reflective mirror? Note: This year, cloudy skies prevented the “traditional” lighting.

10. In 1928, it was reported that six of the eight entrants in the women’s 800-meter race collapsed at the finish line in an “exhausted state.” Poor training methods and the brutal Amsterdam sun were the two major causes of distress. That event was subsequently cancelled until 1960.

Please tell me two facts from the above content that you found interesting and why.

Visit the official Vancouver Olympic website. This is an extensive website filled with photos, commentary, and video for you to explore. Please answer the following questions:

What events do you most like to watch and why?

If you could participate in the Olympics, which sport would you choose and why? Do you think you have what it takes to be an Olympic athlete? (Remember, it takes years of specialized training, self-discipline, and commitment to the sport to be a top athlete)

I have added two more music videos to the page at the top. These music videos are of Elvis Presley and The Beatles, and the song lyrics speak to the theme of forbidden love in The Outsiders. Be prepared to discuss how these lyrics apply to some of the characters and the storyline in the book.

1. The most interesting fact that I found how long it took to create the Olympic winter games. It is amazing what the difference from the old Olympic winter games to how it is today. It first started in the year of 1908 and became what it is today in 1995. I also found out that the Olympic rings’ colors were all in at least one of a country flag and that the five rings of the flag represent the five continents. That is cool.

If I had to participate in a Olympic winter game sport it would be the skeleton and Luge the best because you get to lay on a board and fly into a tube with an opening at the top. I have always wanted to try it ever since I saw it 4 years ago. I really think that it was facinating that that is actually a sport and yet again even in the Olympics. Skeleton looked the coolest because to get on the board you have to be running and you have to leap on the board.You would also go really fast. It would be so so so so so fun.

2. One fact that I found quite interesting from the reading was that there was about Finn Alfred Asikainen and Martin Klein wrestling in 1912 that lasted eleven hours. I mean wouldn’t you be exhausted. I can’t even last running the mile let alone wrestling for that long. Anyway, the match was finally won by Martin Klein. But in the reading it said he didn’t even want to participate in final match because he was so tired. The other fact that I found interesting was that Robert LeGendre got the world record in the long jump competition. He jumped 25 feet and 4 inches that’s like five of me lined up lying on the ground. But the sad thing was he didn’t get first place someone else beat him. But what I don’t understand is that he should have gotten first place because of the record he made. Poor Robert.

The Olympic event that I enjoy watching is figure skating. I know a lot of girls in our grade said that but it is a popular sport to watch. The reason I enjoy watching it is because it’s a lot like dance. And if you didn’t know I am a dancer. I know that professional figure skaters have to take ballet in order to be a good skater on the ice. I also like watching figure skating because it’s just so smooth and so pretty.

If I did have the chance to participate in the Olympics I would definitely want to do figure skating because I do have that dance training you need to have. But I am afraid of falling on ice. So I don’t think I have what it takes to be an Olympic athlete yet. Or maybe never. But it never hurts to try, trying in key in my world. It’s always good to try something else you would have never thought of doing. Also I believe that you should eventually face your fear so some day I will probably let myself fall hard on the ice and think it’s fun.

3. All of the facts on the list were interesting but there were two that were really strange to me. One was about Stella Walsh, a Polish Olympic runner. She was the first woman to break the twelve second barrier in the 100m Dash. After her tragic and inocent death at a robbery she was announced a male when she was given an autopsy. The second was about six people who collapsed at the finish line in an eight hundred. In 1928 six out of eight people in an 800m race collapsed after finishing. This is suprising because an 800m race isn’t hard enough to pass out at the end. Another strange thing is six out of eight people collapsed I think this is a strange coinsadense.
    My favorite sports are Bobsleigh and Ice Hockey. I like these sports because I like action sports. In Ice Hockey there is always a check or a shot around the corner. In Bobsleigh anything could happen, they could crash and they go way over 100 miles per hour.
    If I could participate in the Winter Olympics I would be in the Bobsleigh competition. I would want to because I love the thrill of going fast and just breezing by everyone else. To Bobsleigh all I think you need is to be a little crazy and balanced. To tilt the sleigh and go fast you have to have both of these and I think I do.

4. The 1912 Greco-Roman wrestling match in Stockholm between Finn Alfred Asikainen and Russian Martin Klein lasted more than 11 hours. Klein eventually won, but was too exhausted to participate in the championship match, so he settled for the silver. I thought that this fact was very interesting because if the guy took that long and put the effort into winning, then it is kind of pathetic that he didn’t put the effort to go to the championship match.
    And you thought they just used a match. Did you know that traditionally the Olympic flame in Olympia, Greece is rekindled every two years using the sun’s rays and a concave reflective mirror? Note: This year, cloudy skies prevented the “traditional” lighting. I think that this fact is cool and weird. I think that it is really cool how they keep the tradition going and light it by the sun. It think that it is weird how the cloudy skies kept them from lighting it one year. You would think that they would have looked ahead at the weather and moved the candle.

I love watching the Winter Olympics, but I like the Summer Olympics better. My favorite Winter Olympics sport to watch is Ski Jumping. I like to watch it best because I love to ski. One time in North Carolina I went on a little ski jump on a really steep black diamond run. I landed it and from then on have wanted to go on a big ski jump like they do in the Winter Olympics. I think that I have what it takes to be an olympian. I have the patience to get better and better at skiing and jumping. I think that I could be a successful olympian.

5. I found it interesting that one of the woman who won an award was actually a man. If they really wanted to win an event they should have worked hard to achieve the gold in their own gender and not have cheated to get a gold medal. I also thought it was interesting that the got rid of the 800 meter dash for 32 years because a few people passed out. On track you rarely see people pass out and it was surprising to me.

My favorite winter sport is figure skating because it is so graceful and pretty. My favorite summer sport is any track and field sport because they are fun and exciting to watch.

If I could do any Olympic sport it would be the marathon. I think that the marathon is an amazing achievement and that it would be fun to do. I think I could be an Olympic athlete because it would be a challenge and I like to be challenged.

6. One fact that I found interesting was fact two. I can understand why Martin Klein did not participate in the wrestling finals after his grueling eleven hour match but once you get to the top you normally want to cap it off with the championship.

I was also surprised that the length of the marathon was twenty six miles originally but to make the finish line closer to the royal box they increased the distance.

I enjoy watching many olympic events especially the 100-meter dash. It’s cool to see the fastest people in the world racing each other and setting new amazing records. In the winter olympics, however, I would enjoy snowboarding since it is something new to me that it is entertaining to watch.

I have never tried any of the winter olympic sports but I would probably do snowboarding if I had a chance because it looks wild and amazing especially when you watch the pros.

I definitely do not have what it takes to be an olympic athlete. I am not athletic at all, I don’t have talent, and physically I am strong enough to endure the countless hours of training.

7. It is amazing that a single wrestling match could last for 11 hours, I am amazed that the competitors didn’t fall asleep! I also never knew that two olympics were cancelled due to World War II. It’s cool that they light the torch using lighting, awsome, but dangerous.

My favorite events to watch are snowboarding and figureskating. It ‘s cool to watch all of the tricks that they do in the snowboarding competitions. Watching the figure skaters is fun too. It is amazing how they glide across the ice and jump in the air. Their balance out on the ice definetely amazes me.

If I could participate in any Olympic sport I would choose to be on the United States Equestrian Team. I would choose this sport because I already have a lot of experience, and it is my favorite sport. I think that I have the detication to be an Olympian, but I don’t have the nerve jump over those high fences.

8. There were many facts that I thought were interesting. But these two were my favorite. This first one I think is funny. It was in 1908, a marathon was originally set at exactly 26 miles. But, at the Olympic marathon in London, the royal family needed a better view of the finish line. Organizers added an extra 385 yards to the race so the finish line would be in front of the royal box. For some reason, they never changed it. I like that because it really shows how much power royalty has, even enough to change a part of the Olympics. This next fact was in 1928. During the women’s 800-meter race, six out of eight athletes collapsed at the finish line. They said it happened because of poor training and the brutal Amsterdam sun.

My favorite events to watch are ski jumping, skeleton, and figure skating. I like ski jumping because I think it is an amazing sport. It’s incredible that those athletes go extremely high and land the jump! It’s just one of things that I think is cool to see. I would like to watch skeleton because it’s one of those sports that keeps you at the edge of your seat. It must be an insane feeling to be going at a high speed down the track face first with little control. The last one I like to watch the most is figure skating. I’ve always thought it was a beautiful and graceful sport that’s amazing to watch.

If I had to choose a sport, I would pick alpine skiing. I would pick this sport because I like to go really fast on skiis. Also, I used to be on a ski team and race a lot so it would fun for me to get back into that. I think I could have what it takes to be an Olympic athlete because I’m really dedicated to something I put my mind to. But I have to admit, being an Olympic athlete is a tough and brutal dream. But I think it would be worth it!

9. Two interesting facts that I found where these facts. The first fact I found interesting was that Germany and Japan were allowed back into the Olympic games in 1952. I would have thought that they would wait longer. The second interesting fact that I found was that the five rings in the Olympic flag represent the continents of the world (Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, and the Americas.) They are linked together to show friendship. I really did not think that the rings could mean something. So, it kind of surprised me that they did stand for something.

I like to watch the figure skating. I think that they are so graceful. I think it would take a lot of effort to do what they do. If I could be in the Olympics I would be in the swimming event. I would choose this because I love to swim and swim every day after school. I do not think I have what it takes to be in the Olympics. I think that after you do so much training and swimming and everything you would get tried of your sport and stop doing it. I also would it tried and would not be able to get myself to go through all of the training and everything.

10. “And you thought they just used a match. Did you know that traditionally the Olympic flame in Olympia, Greece is rekindled every two years using the sun’s rays and a concave reflective mirror? Note: This year, cloudy skies prevented the “traditional” lighting.” I knew that they lit it in Greece, but I didn’t know they got it from the sun rays. I also didn’t know that this year they couldn’t have a traditional lighting.

“World record, but no gold medal: In 1924, American Robert LeGendre shattered the world long jump record with a leap of 25 feet, 4 inches. However, the jump was part of the pentathlon competition and LeGendre could muster only a third-place finish overall. The actual long jump competition was won with a jump of 24 feet, 5 inches.” It is really amazing how he beat the record, but still didn’t get first place, for the gold medal. If you broke the record in one meet, I would think that you would do good in the olympics, enough to make him win. Even if he did break the record in a meet, he didn’t do it in the olympics.

My favorite winter olympic events to watch are hockey, skiing, snowboarding, and for some strange reason speed skating. I like to watch hockey because I play hockey and I like to see how other people play it in there own way. I also like to watch skiing and snowboarding because it is awesome to watch them do the latest tricks, but there are also the people who mess up and hurt themselves. I like to watch speed skating because some of the speed skater are really dirty and hurt the other people. I alway remember this one winter olympics event in 2006 when a speed skater fell and hit the boards and his blades went flying in the air and he couldn’t skate of.

I would like to be a hockey player in the olympic games. I think I have what it takes to be an olympian, but I would have to get in shape first. I would like to be a hockey olympian because it is favorite sport (along with sailing) and it would be really fun. I think if everybody sets there mind to become an olympian they can, but some people give up half way and don’t keep on trying. Also if people don’t make it the first time they try they just quit, but if they got back up and started training for next olympics they could. I think I have what it takes to be an olympian. Well I will need to get into shape.

11. My favorite Winter Olympic sports to watch are skeleton because it looks awesome and there are dangerously high speeds, every skiing portion except slalom, and snowboarding. I like skeleton better than luge for unknown reasons. I think that the ski jump is dangerous in the most ways because it’s terrible for your knees, ankles, and hips, and if you trip while skiing down at fast speeds you can hurt yourself so many unimaginable, gruesome ways. I love watching snowboarding for one reason, the Flying Tomato. Shaun White is the USA’s most amazing snowboarder, skateboarder, and surfer. He can pull off the most unimaginable tricks that will set your eyes on fire and drop your jaw so low it will rip off (these will not literally happen).

I if I were to do an Olympic Winter sport I would choose snowboarding or speed skating. The two people who really make me want to do them are Apollo Anton Ohno and Shaun White. These two people are two of the most famous winter sport athletes who put time, effort, blood, and sweat into their work. These sports I chose but they didn’t choose me because I would never become an Olympic athlete, ever!!! It’s not that I don’t want to but it’s that I would never be in enough physical or mental shape to do these amazing feats that we call sports. It would be a miracle if I ever made to college sports.

12. I think it is really funny that they added an extra 385 yards to the marathon just so the royal family could watch the finish. That would annoy me as a runner that I couldn’t just stop at 26 miles, that I would have to run just a little farther so the king could see. Also, a wrestling match lasted 11 hours? Talk about a perfect match-up! I’m suprised they didn’t fall asleep in the middle of the arena.

I love to watch skiing and snowboarding because I like to think that the competitiors are just having a blast while they’re doing it. The bravery it must take to perform those stunts, it’s amazing.

I would be in either freestyle skiing or snowboarding in the olympics because it would be such a rush in the air, knowing that someone is in awe for the trick you’re doing. Knowing someone loves watching what you love doing would be perfect, wouldn’t it? I think maybe I could be in the Olympics if I started at a younger age because usually when I really set my mind to something, I really try hard. I have never skiied or snowboarded before but I’m really wanting to!

13. There were so many interesting facts that this man provided. I have always been familiar with the symbol of the Olympics, which are the five different colored rings intertwined. I never knew the original founder of the Olympics Pierre de Coubertin meant for those five rings to stand for unison and friendship between all of the continents.”You thought they just used a match. Did you know that traditionally the Olympic flame in Olympia, Greece is rekindled every two years using the sun’s rays and a concave reflective mirror? Note: This year, cloudy skies prevented the “traditional” lighting.” the fun fact. I thought this was such an unbelievable statement that I was filled with awe.

My favorite Olympic sport to watch is snowboarding. I love snowboarding, whenever I go to Keystone for spring break I go snowboarding. I think the tricks and how the board never leaves the mountain is so elegant in a way that is kind of unexplainable to me. I love how the snowboarders can stay in the air for a certain amount of time that they can do so many things. It is simply amazing.

14. The most interesting facts to me were numbers six and eight. Number six was shocking for me because when I started reading it, I thought it would be about Stella Walsh being the first to break the twelve second barrier or about her tragic death, but then I was shocked, and my jaw litterally dropped when I read about her/his autopsy revealing she was actually a he the whole time! Fact number eight was amazing and a little sad at the same time. I felt bad for Shun Fujimoto for all the pain he would have had to go through, but I was also thinking about all the perserverance and self-control it would have taken to go throught the routine and landing so perfectly like he did.

The events I enjoy watching most are figure skating and snowboarding. I like these events because they are graceful and fast at the same time. I like snowboarding because it’s fast and it looks like flying out in the open. I just think that would be so fun. Figure skating is one of my favorite events to watch because of the rythm and beauty of the skaters’ movement. It’s alsmost as if they’re dancing. I also like the tons of difficult moves the athletes pull off while being watched bt billions around the world. I would definetly mess up pretty badly under that kind of pressure.

If I could participate in any winter event, it would be either figure skating or skeleton. Someday, I would love to become a good figure skater, but I’ve tried, and I’m pretty much the least graceful person I’ve ever met, so for now, that’s not going to happen. Skeleton seems really fun because if I ever had a superpower, I would always want to have wings. Skeleton reminds me of either a penguin sledding on its belly or of flying, minus the wings. The whole event seems like it would be more fun that intense, and to me, that is what is most important.

15. I found many of the fun facts enjoyable to read. My favorite fun fact was learning about the five rings that symbolize the Olympics. They stand for the five major continents of the world that participate in the Olympics. The colors of the rings are found in the flags of the countries that participate. I find it cool that the rings are linked together like the countries should be in friendship, I never thought of it like that. I have visited Olympia, Greece, where the Olympics originally began. I found it fascinating that every two years the Olympic flame is lit using the sun’s rays, and not a match.

My favorite event to watch is figure skating. I find the event graceful. Although to the viewers it might look like the skaters simply glide upon the ice, it must take years of discipline and training to make it look so effortless. Another event that I like to watch is snowboarding. I have tried to snowboard, but I spend most of the time on my bottom. So I admire anyone that could do this sport and do it well.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I would love to participate on a Olympic soccer team, but it is not a choice in the Winter Olympics. The sport I would choose in the Winter Olympics would be Curling, it looks like a lot of fun. As we all, know that would only be a fantasy. I do think I could be an Olympic athlete because I have determination, discipline, and work hard to achieve my goals.

16. I thought that number seven from the fun facts was very interesting. It’s just amazing that the Danish rider Lis Hartel won the silver medal with a spine cord injury, which is amazing. She couldn’t even get off her horse her self because of her poliomyelitis injury!
    I also liked the fun fact number two. You should ask yourself: is that really possible without dyeing from dehydration or exhaustion? How can you seriously fight for eleven hours, without ANYONE winning? I really wouldn’t be surprised if they were twins that were separated at their birth, and then adopted by two different families. They must have been at the exact same level, and they were exactly as good as each other, until one of them just gives only 99% instead of 100%.
    My most favorite events to watch in winter are skiing, and hockey.
    I love to watch skiing, because its just really exciting when someone you wanted to win won by one hundredth of a second, which is really exiting when you know its just a split of a second, but you were still faster.
    Not only do I love to watch skiing, but I also love to ski myself because where I lived before, there were a lot of mountains, so you could ski a lot.
    I also love hockey because you know that everything can change in the last second, like in skiing; I also like hockey because I used to play hockey.
    Those are both really exciting sports, because they are thrilling, and they never get boring of the action.
    I would definitely choose to be in the downhill skiing giant slalom, slalom, and Super-G races, because those are my favorite categories in skiing, and as already said, I love skiing to death, because its such a motivating sport for me.
    I am very good at skiing, but I am not good enough to be in the Olympics. I think everybody could be in the Olympics if they trained and practiced hard enough.
    The first time I stood on skis was when I was two years old, so I have skied for eleven years now. Now that I’ll stay in Florida for a while, I am probably not going to be as good as before, but if I practice enough I will be.
    But I know someone who just finished his first FIS (FIS is one stage below the professional skiers) race with sixteen years!
    If you would compare me to him, I would be a beginner!

17. I think that one of the most amazing fun facts that I read was, the wrestling match in 1912 that lasted 11 hours!! I can understand why he settled for the silver. I also thought that another interesting fact was that six of eight entrants of the womans track collapsed due to an “exausted state”. I enjoy watching the snowboarding, because I have been snowboarding for 6 years, and I love it and hate leaving when we have to. I would choose snowboarding, half pipe. Because I can do some tricks on the half pipe, but not many. Which brings me to my next question. No, I do not believe that I have what it takes to be in the Olympics, maybe, if I spent 10,000 hours on it ( which is basically the average amount of hours for an expert at something, and I have only done about 3,000 hours of skateboarding, and I do it a lot. Which makes me say, that I cannot do it.)

18. I found many of the facts cool to read. My favorite fun fact was learning about the five rings that symbolize the Olympics. Especially that they stand for the five major continents of the world that participate in the Olympics. Also that every two years they light the torches with the sunlit. The colors of the rings are found in the flags of the countries that participate. I find it cool that the rings are linked together like the countries should be in friendship.
    My favorite sports to watch are figure skating and luge. I like figure skating because I have had experience personally with the sport. I find it facinating how graceful some of them could be. I also know how much time and effort they put into memorizing the routines. It’s way more work than everyone thinks. I also like luge because I think it’s amazing that the human body can withstand all that force. They are going so fast I don’t think I would be able to steer in time. Also the way they train is amazing they have to have major upper arm strength to steer.
    Anyone who has ever met me knows that I would love to play on an olimpic softball team, but sence this isn’t a winter sport I wouldn’t be able to. I would probbly choose curling because of the fast movements across the ice and being able to slide across the ice. I have always remebered how during break in ice skating after the zambony smoothed out the ice all my friends and I would just go sliding I always had a blast.

19. What I thought was a crasy fact is that a wrestiling match went on for eleven hours! I thought it was hilarious how Klien won, but he was too tired and warnout form almost half a day of wrestiling nonstop, but he settled for a silver medal. Another interesting fact was that a Danish horse rider rode a horse with a broken back! gosh that is pretty intense! She couldnt even get off of her horse!

My favorite sports in the winter Olympics are hokey and the duacatholon, hokey is verry ineresting because you get to see players from around the world playing at their best! and you can even recdonize some stars from the N.H.L. on the rusian and erman teams etc. The ducathalon is another one that is verry interesting beacause the competitors are skiing and shooting guns from long distances, which to me is very cool!

If I could compete in any event i would compete in the long jump skiing competition because it is my faveorite event and you can everything from up there!You are oin at such at fast speed to! dont fall!

20. I will be the most interested in the curling competitions. To me, they are as if from another world, for I have no clue how the game is played. I am left to merely watch as the points hit the board and players fly over the court. The players also shoot down the field sweeping with what appear to be an industrial form of broomstick, while sweeping in front of marble disks. The event is so particular that, it I believe it will make me think on just how different cultures are. In addition, I love the game shuffleboard, which happens to remain me of curling. In my opinion dancing is to figure skating and street hockey is to ice hockey exactly as shuffleboard (a personal favorite) is to curling.

From the fun facts, I personally found number 3 the most amusing. Isn’t it nice to be king? It seems unbelievable that just for the better view of one, the race must be another whole 325 yards. The other fact that surprised me was the lighting of the Olympic torch. It seems so complex just to light a torch, but, if you are the most important torch in the world (like the royal family,) you must deserve to have it all your way. It must also take an unconceivable large mirror to create enough heat.

I would participate in the luge as my event from the Olympic sports. To me, it appears to be a massive, giant form of sliding without the playground mulch at the bottom. Besides I don’t believe I could be in curling because it would remind me of shuffle boarding too much, the last time I checked my skiing was atrocious, and I have never skied nor snowboarded. That doesn’t leave much. Becoming an athlete for the games would require a tremendous amount of effort, including years of training, practice, and competing. It also would require sacrifice to make more time for practice; however, in my eyes if you truly could succeed, it would be worth it. Best of luck!

21. I thought it was cool that the reason that marathons are 26 miles, 385 yards instead of just a solid 26 miles was because the royal family wanted to see the finish line better. I found this interesting because it seemed a little funny that they made such a huge deal about such a small addition to the distance (well, it’s small in comparison). I also thought it was strange that a person who had broken a world record had not gotten a gold medal. This surprised me because I would imagine that if someone broke a world record, then they would win the competition.

I think that the luge event is fun to watch because it doesn’t look very hard but it actually is a lot more complicated than it looks. I, personally, would not want to participate in the luge competition if I went to the Olympics. instead, I would want to do downhill skiing. The reason I would do downhill skiing is that I have been skiing before, with my dad, and I always have a lot of fun. 🙂

22. World record, but no gold medal: In 1924, American Robert LeGendre shattered the world long jump record with a leap of 25 feet, 4 inches. However, the jump was part of the pentathlon competition and LeGendre could muster only a third-place finish overall. The actual long jump competition was won with a jump of 24 feet, 5 inches. This fact is probably the one the probably surprised me the most, because I mean how often is a world record broke, but it’s not for the right competition?

In 1908, the marathon standard was set at exactly 26 miles. However, at the Olympic marathon in London, it was decided that the royal family needed a better view of the finish line. Organizers added an extra 385 yards to the race so the finish line would be in front of the royal box. And it’s been that way ever since. Honestly when I read that I thought it was the most hilarious thing. I guess royalty is very important in London.

The events I would most like to see would be: skeleton, snowboard, ski jumping and figure skating. I would like to see the skeleton because it seems so high-speed and intense, plus I have never seen it in real life and I’m interested in learning more about it. Snow boarding because as confusing as it seems it seems fun to see people on boards go fast. Ski-jumping because I love watching the tricks people do. This last one may surprise you but as much as I think it’s a pointless sport the figure skating seems intriguing to watch.

If I could participate in the Olympics, by no doubt in my mind I would want to be a free-style skier. I already enjoy skiing and doing tricks but at this time in place I would not be ready. Although, I would have what it takes to become one it I spend time and pursue it.

23. The two fun facts that I liked were 2 and 9. I liked 2 because I thought it was interesting that after such a long match he was too tired to play for gold, what bad luck! Nine is interesting because of having the tradition change because of clouds, I just find that funny.

I would like to watch snowboarding and ski jumping. Snowboarding is fun because of riding down a mountain and having it be kind of like a race. I like ski jump because I think it’s interesting to see them jump and see how far they can go.

If I could participate in an olympic sport I would choose snowboarding. I think it would be fun to speed down going as fast as you can hoping for the best. It looks like a fun sport to be. I don’t think I could be an olympic athlete. Training for so long just to compete every four years? It doesn’t seem rit for me. That’s just me though.

I know I turned this in late but I just figured it would be right to do it anyway.