The Miracle Worker

Who was Helen Keller? As we began our unit study on this remarkable woman and learn about her early life through the reading of The Miracle Worker, a play by William Gibson, I would like to start off discussions by having you explore The Helen Keller Kids Museum Online.  This is a vast site with a wealth of information including images and videos, which will provide you with good background knowledge of Helen Keller and her amazing life’s journey. If anything else, it will show you what determination and will can do when faced with life’s greatest obstacles.

Please answer to the following two prompts:

1. When exploring the above website, what information has an impact on you? Why? Do not tell me about two things. I am looking for a response that shows effort and depth of thought, and one that shows you took time to go through the site.

2. Which do you think is a greater disability – the loss of sight or the loss of hearing? What severe problems does the loss of either faculty create? How could someone who has lost both senses learn about the world and become a literate adult?

THE WEEK IN RAP RETURNS! SUMMER RECAP

1. While I was surfing through the website. I thought to myself how can you learn with no sight and no hearing. When I heard about the Perkins School for the blind, I was like maybe you can learn after all. (not to be mean) I was very impressed with the way Anne approached Helen. She really thought Helen in a logical way. For instance writing the letters in her palms. I absolutely love the story of Helen’s hand on the water pump and Anne wrote W-A-T-E-R into Helen”s Palm. Also I enjoyed learning that Helen learned how to play Chess learn how to horse back ride, and learn many different languages.

In My opinion I don’t remotely think either being deaf or being blind are more or less disabilities from each other. The severe problem of being deaf is that when you can’t hear it is harder to learn because to can’t physically hear the person. But you can see their lips, and kind of figure out what they are saying. The most severe problem when blind would most likely be walking from place to place because it would be extremely hard without a guide.

Someone that has lost both senses. The loss of hearing, and the loss of sight would be able to learn and become a literate adult. How you ask. Well there are schools for the blind and schools for the deaf. But that’s not all they could get a personal tooter. One thing that Helen Keller did was met a mentor named Anne that wrote into her palm. So, there are ways to learn even though you can’t see or hear. personally I would say Helen Keller is a real hero for becoming a literate adult even though she couldn’t see or hear. Amazing!

1. @laurenb15, I meant to say meet instead of met, also I meant to say though instead of taught, one more I meant to say tutor instead of tooter

2. When I was looking through the website on the first page, “Childhood”, i noticed that she wasn’t born bind and deaf and that it was because of an illness she had when she was nineteen months old, that would be terrible, being able to do both see and hear for only the first nineteen months of your life and then it just be gone. I couldn’t imagine learning with the disabilities that Helen had, I mean it would be extremely hard to learn even small things like say, the alphabet, something that you learn in kindergarden would be hard for her at 8 years old or even older. Although it does seem like there would be, I had no idea that there was a school for people that were blind, at first when I saw it in the paragraph I was a little surprised but after a second i thought about it and it seems pretty logical that there is. I think that it was amazing how Helen learned to speak, i imagine that it would be much harder to learn how to talk if you can’t hear or see, it’s like doing something like climbing Everest with a brick on your head and a 100 pound person on your back, taking something hard and making it a whole lot harder. I think that if I couldn’t see or hear I would just except it and not try to learn stuff as much as I would learn to manage living without too many problems, but Helen learned to write words and how to write in braille. She learned so much that people couldn’t believe that her work was her work, they accused her of copying someone else’s work (which i don’t understand because she was blind and deaf, how could she copy someone’s work?).

I think that the loss of sight would be way worse than the loss of hearing because I think that I would live if I couldn’t hear because I could watch movies, see what I was eating, walk by my self play video games, etc. If I was blind I can’t think of that many things that I could do except listen to music and learn by hearing things rather than learn by reading, because I don’t really like to read that much so I would be a whole lot less enthusiastic to learn. Someone who has lost both their hearing and seeing are really in a tight spot, to learn how to read braille would take a while, and then that would be one of your methods of learning, another would be like Helen, learning words by feeling what it is and feeling how it’s written.

3. Isn’t it kind of ironic how Helen Keller was the daughter of a newpaper editor. I can’t belive she became def at only 19 months! Hellen Keller must have had a rough life.

That whole entire website was so cool! I did have a favorite part. My favorite part was the story about Annie putting the cool and crisp water water on Hellen’s smooth hands as she spelled it for her.

I think that both defness and blind are awful things. I think that if I had to choose, it would be worse to be blind. Sometimes, now, you can get some of your hearing back. If you are def you can still see what is going on. When you are blind, you could never see what’s going on in the world. If you are def, you might be able to hear some of the beautiful sounds that we might hear more clearly.

Someone who is def and blind can still become a normal adult. A great teacher is needed. That’s why I think Helen’s teacher, Annie, was such an important part of Helen’s life.

4. The things that surprised me the most was that when she was little that she was called the Wild Child they didn’t understand that it was hard for her to understand things and her mother was so helpful and tried so hard to help her be normal, but no one cared. Also that she was so calm and beautiful when she was older it is hard for you to imagine her a Wild Child. Its amazing how much she learned and knew by the time she went in to collage also how she got excepted to a great school even though she was deaf and blind. When she grew up the thing that amazed me probably the most was how much she tried, asked questions, wanted to learn more and be better than anyone when she knew that she was blind and deaf. Most people with her problem would probably learn but wouldn’t try and learn and think as much as she did. She could do so much when she was disabled in hearing and sight, but still did more than probably any person could do. She believed in so much and is a great influence on people today.

I think the loss of sight is worse because if you can’t hear you can still see what others see colors and the ocean and everything else. But if you loose your sight you can’t see the beautiful ocean that you hear or see things in your mind clearly like others that can see. If you couldn’t see you wouldn’t be able to read like others or see the world and how amazing it is. But even if you loose your hearing you still can’t hear funny sounds in your house, or hear a car coming when your riding your bike but you could see it, that is why I think the loss of sight is worse.
    Someone could loss both senses and still become a literate adult because they could learn to speak and learn to read others lips and still go very far. But if you were to want to get a job as a realtor agent they probably wouldn’t hire you because it would be hard to communicate. But if you were a writer you could do very well if you learned how to write. So, their are many ways like books, a great school and a buddy by your side through everything like Ann Sullivan that could help you along the way, and I believe the ones who try can get very far no matter what they are or if they have disabilities.

5. There were so many thing in this website about Hellen Keller that I did not know, and that I did know. Last year in Mrs.Restler’s class we had to do a biography on someone,and I chose Hellen Keller. Mrs. Keller is speical in so many ways. I would’ve never thought of the magnificent woman as a “wild child” I think of her as a great achiever of her time. I was very suprised when they said that they called her a “wild child” when this website stated that, I was appalled.That statement is so streotypical for someone like her in her time. But then again, no one knew any better.
    I was amazed when they said that when Helen was thirteen, she and her teacher, Anne, moved to new york and Helen was inrolled in the Wright-Humanson school for the death. There she was learning ans started to communicate with other people. She was even starting to talk. I think that is wonderful that she, someone who is death and blind, is learning how to step out of her little world and start expreesing her feeling and thought about different statements.
    I think being blind or deaf is one of those “either or” situations. Both have their disadvantages. I think the disadvantage of being deaf is that you can not hear yourself saying anything. That you would go through your life only seeing things or even feeling the vibrations. But, if you are blind you will never know what you, or anything around you would look like. I believe if you are blind though,you could still learn like any other child because you could still use four out of the five sences.
    I believe that anything is possible, you just have to want it enought. I think Hellen Keller is a perfect example for this. She never quit. It was always another day, it’s not like she was losing her disability of being deaf and bling but never giving up. Always believing. She put forth her greastest efforts, and look where she got with her life.

1. @, Im sorry. That was Elizabeth it was logged in and then when I didn’t put the spamword in it logged me out. Sorry Mrs. Cobb. I fogot to put spaces in between me switching toughts, I just pressed enter. Sorry. Thanks

1. @elizabeth15, Thanks for correcting…..you are not logged in when you are asked to copy the spam letters, but you think you are. When you are logged in, there is nothing to copy, and your username comes up automatically when you submit your comment.

6. When I saw this website, I thought of all of the things Helen Keller did in her lifetime. She had some unbelievable accomplishments throughout he life. I thought it was very difficult to be deaf or blind. She had both disabilities, and she still learned how to write, read, and speak. Not only did she overcame the odds of these disabilities, she made the lives of other people, who were also blind, deaf, or both, better. She helped made laws and tested a device that people who are blind and deaf communicate with people who can listen and see.

I was impressed by the teaching styles of Anne Sullivan, writing words on the palm of Helen’s hand. She also taught Helen German, French, and Latin, how to play chess, and how to ride a horse. It is mind-boggling that not only Helen Keller graduated Radcliffe College, the sister college of Harvard University, with honors, but she changed the lives of people with the same disabilities she had permanently.

Personally, I think that it would be very hard to live with one of these disabilities. But if I had to choose, I would pick the loss of hearing because I could not imagine myself picturing what is surrounding me and guessing what the world would look like without seeing. The loss of hearing would also be very difficult to live with because you could not hear people speaking, sounds of animals, and other things. There are many ways a person who has lost the sense to see and hear to still become a literate adult. Someone could write words on your hand just like Anne Sullivan did to Helen Keller. You could listen to music by putting your hand near a radio or speakers and follow the vibrations of the music. There are devices for people who are deaf and blind and still can communicate with people who can see and hear. Thanks to Helen Keller, people who have seeing and hearing disabilities having more opportunities to get an education and learn a normal life.

7. I can’t believe that Helen Keller accomplished so many things in her life even though she was blind and deaf. I think that she had a lot of confidence in herself. Many things that she accomplished were like when she was the first deaf-blind person to receive a college degree (with high honors), she wrote and gave speeches, she wrote fourteen books, she was in the movie “Deliverance,” about her life, she performed shows with Anne, and many more. All of this had an impact on me because it shows all of the great things she did in her life, and that anyone can do anything.

I can’t choose between which is worse, being deaf or being blind. It is a hard decision for me because either way, you are missing out from something in the world. For example, if you are deaf, you wouldn’t be able to hear your family’s voices or music. You would just hear absolute silence. But, if you are blind, you wouldn’t be able to see what everyone looks like or yourself. You wouldn’t be able to see the world and how pretty it really is. Either of these would be terrible to have, and Helen Keller had both! And she still accomplished many things. I think that Helen Keller is a great role model because she is a really amazing person, and she did a lot of amazing things in her life. People who have the same disabilities could learn the same way she did. And still do many things with their lives.

8. One thing I can’t believe is her education. She went to school when some one talked to her or read her something, they could sign it in her hands and she knew what it meant. She was able to go to and academy for girls that helped her go to college. Anne Sullivan helped her learn and Helen studied French, German, and Latin. She was excepted into Radcliffe College the sister of Harvard which at the time didn’t except girls as students. Even if it wasn’t Harvard, it was the sister school of Harvard so you had to be very smart to get in. Before she graduated from college she actually published a book and got lots of good reviews and even one from Mark Twain. She dedicated her book to Alexander Graham Bell who invented the telephone and helped her for one reason his wife was deaf. It was amazing what she did because not only did she get a degree while being deaf and blind, she also graduated with very high honors and learned to speak.

I think loosing your hearing would be worse because if you are deaf you would have to remember how to sign lots of words and not everyone knows sign language and it would hard to talk to other people. Would also have to learn brail and that may be difficult if you maybe have large hands or something. It would also make learning to speak very difficult but if you look at Helen Keller, it is possible.

9. The Helen Keller Museum Online has impacted me in a one main way. Several members of my family have slight to severe hearing loss. One family member has lost 40% to 60% of her hearing. My cousin had a tumor in one ear and has had several complicated surgeries. She has lost almost all of the hearing in one ear. It is difficult for them to understand me if I am not looking at them when I speak. It is aggravating to repeat myself over again. It must have taken a lot of patience and hard work for Anne Sullivan to teach Helen Keller so many words when Helen could not hear or see and especially when Helen was disobedient. Reading about their relationship has made me realize that I need to be more patient when it comes to repeating what I am trying to say to my family members. I know they can not help their disabilities and that it can get frustrating for them when I do not speak up or face them when speaking. I found it amazing that Anne was able to teach Helen how to speak, by feeling the vibrations in Anne’s throat, even though Helen could not hear Anne or herself. Anne Sullivan dedicated her whole life to helping Helen succeed.

I believe that it would be more difficult to live with a visual disability. It is hard for me to imagine not being able to see life or colors. I would not know what things look like and it would be hard to understand how machines such as computers, cars or any every day tool functioned. Without my sight, it would be difficult to find my way around. I would have trouble learning how to write letters, understand math and science or appreciate simple things such as art. With out hearing, I would have trouble communicating with others that do not know sign language. When I read, I would not know what the words sounded like or really what sound was at all. When someone loses both their sight and their hearing, they must rely on their other senses to make their way in the world. I believe that the sense of touch would be the most important as proved by Helen learning to speak by touch and reading Braille.

10. Helen Keller’s education was what I think had the most impact on me, because it’s just amazing how she could do so many things, and graduate so well, when she’s blind and deaf.
    Her childhood was amazing, that first she couldn’t understand anything, and then, suddenly she is smarter than anyone else.
    She learned very fast as Anne Sullivan taught her to read, write, type, and even speak.
    It’s amazing too that she even went to hollywood, wrote 14 books, and met a lot of famous people.
    Actually, she changed the world for what she did.

I think the loss of hearing is a greater disability because if you can’t hear it’s much harder to feel, taste, and imagine things.
    If you can’t see, it’s still hard to imagine, but I guess eventually all the other senses are much stronger.
    So then you can smell, feel, and hear better. Maybe it’s the same when your deaf.
    But I think exept Helen Keller, there will never be someone smarter than Helen Keller who’s deaf and blind,
    unless they get a good education like Helen Keller.

11. I thought that it was amazing that Anne could write letters into Helen’s palm and Helen could understand them. That moment musthave been amazing for Helen. I also thought that it was very strange and mean that they called Helen a “wild child”. It was amazing that she could write so well for someone who was blind and deaf. What suprised me the most was that Helen made it into Radcliffe. This is the sister collage of Harvard! It also cool that she wrote books.

I think that being blind would be more of a disadvantage than being deaf. If you are blind, you can’t see others and you may wander and not know where you are. If you are deaf, this would also be terrible. If you are deaf you can’t speak. Speaking is very important obviously. If you were both blind and deaf, it seems impossable to learn at all! The only way I could ever think that someone could ever learn would be from vibrations, taste, and feel. Helen Keller was truely an amazing American.

12. There is a ton of information on Helen Keller’s life on that website I did not know. The website covered her whole life, from when she was born to when she past away. I did not know that Helen lost her sight and her hearing from a sickness. You can tell that her parents cared about her when she asked for a teacher for Helen. Out of all that Anne had been through, she still could find a way to help Helen Keller. It was very interesting that Anne taught Helen by signing letters into her hand. You could tell she was realy learning because soon she could be able to write.

I was amazed when I learned that Helen Keller was beginning to speak when she was only thirteen. She could also go to a girls school where normal girls attended. It blew me away when I found out that she could go to the women equivalent of Harvard. Most people who don’t even have any disabilities have a very hard time getting to Harvard! Helen was very lucky to be able to meet a lot of famous people. Helen was so dedicated to writing she wrote a book called The Story of My Life. She was so smart when she graduated from college she got cum laude.

Over her life she wrote many books despite her disabilities. Helen and Anne even made a movie with a man named Polly Thomson. They went on a tour performing many things. Anne was getting tired of all of the traveling, so they stopped in 1922. She also had the power to protest about World War I.

She join the AFB in 1924. Helen also got to attend a bunch of meetings at the White House. Once Anne died, Polly became Helen’s companion. During World War II, the duo went to support the wounded veterans. Everywhere she traveled, she gave and received many gifts. She received letters from many different presidents. After Polly died, Helen Keller lived quietly for seven more years, then died in her sleep.

I honestly think that it is equally worse to lose your hearing or your sight. When your sight has been lost I think it is easier to communicate with other people because your can still hear people and hear what you are saying. If you lose your hearing, you can still communicate, but it would be harder because you would probably have to learn sign language. Although, if someone is deaf they can read and write better that some one who cannot see. Obviously, it would be very hard to have both, but there are ways to overcome them. Just like Helen Keller, letters can be wrote on the hand to feel what they see. then you can get more sophisticated by learning to tell what something is using other senses like your smell. I think that there is a lot to learn from Helen Keller’s life, and we should use it for our own lives.

13. I thought that the Helen Keller website was very powerful and open to what Helen went through. Her family had a very little amount of money to take care of Helen. I can’t believe that she was sent to a poor house to live in at the age of 10. When she joined the American Foundation for the Blind it made people be inspired from her outstanding will to learn and believe in herself. It is amazing that Helen got to greet the 32 country’s representatives at the White House. This proves that people with disabilities can strive to learn and others can do it too.

I think that the loss of sight is worse than the loss of hearing. With the loss of sight you don’t get to see the world as it is. If you can’t see anything you won’t now the difference between night and day time, you can’t see your family and friends, and you couldn’t drive anywhere and you would have to rely on others for transportation. The loss of hearing would be devastating not being abel to hear all of the adventurous sounds in the world. You would live in a world of total silence. When you have lost both senses you still have the other three senses to cope with the world. Sure it would be difficult but you could learn language of Braille. One could speak their native language because they could speak and could enjoy the color smells of the world.

14. Although I have studied Helen Keller in the past, I learned so much more about her life in this online project. I was very impressed that someone with so many disabilities could have so much drive and want to learn so much about the world around them. She had a passion for learning. She wanted to learn how to write, speak, and sign, but most of all she wanted to make a difference in other peoples lives. She did all of this with her companion Annie Sullivan whom she referred to as “Teacher.” Annie helped Helen by being her sight. She would read and then sign it into Helen’s hand. Together they had an amazing bond.
    I was also very impressed in Helen’s view of the world. She believed in equal rights regardless of race, gender, or disabilities. She didn’t believe in war and even protested about it. Some people criticized her for being a “Socialist.” Whatever her political views were, I still think that she was pretty amazing. She met interesting people and visited many countries. People everywhere were amazed by her accomplishments.

I think that it would be very difficult to loose any of your senses. It would take a very strong person to overcome these challenges. I think it would be more difficult to loose my sight. Being once able to see, I would know what I would be missing. I would miss my families faces, looking out the window, and mostly the loss of independence. I would have to rely on others to be my sight. Loosing my hearing would also be a challenge. It would feel lonely inside my body, the silence would be to much to handle. I guess life is easier having all of your senses.
    A person with these disabilities can have a productive life in today’s world. There are schools for the def and the blind. These schools help students to read braille, and teach them to be more independent. There are even telephones specifically made for people with these kinds of disabilities. Life today is easier for people with disabilities because of Helen Keller. She was an inspiration to many and continues to inspire new generations.

15. The information that impacted me the most was simply all of the achievements of Helen Keller through out her life. She had to learn to read from only sets of bumps on a page and speak from only vibrations. She wrote essays, books, and speeches that she gave to many, and she even was on Broadway having to understand her parts without sound and sight, too. From this, I realized how hard her life was; yet through her struggles, she never gave up. Not only did Helen Keller never give up, but also all those who tried to help her, such as Anne and Polly. It would have always been easy to simply say, “It is impossible to teach one who is blind, deaf, and “a wild child.” It also would have been easy for Helen to be passive however she stood for what she believed in politics, and she pushed for the rights of the poor and women. She influenced and helped the world through example traveling to 39 countries, which presented many challenges to Helen Keller because she was blind and deaf. I also realized from this in the current world it is easy come to view the blind and deaf as apart or incapable. They have a major disability, but does that make them truly different? Helen Keller enjoyed many aspects of life from nature to reading, just as we do. She had an opinion and was willing to stand for it because she believed it was for the best, just as we do. She even strove for an education regardless of the fact there was bound to be difficulties for her. To me, she overcame her difficulties through her achievements.

I believe the loss of sight is greater than that of hearing. First of all when you are blind you must explore the massive world at close proximity to understand your surroundings while when you are deaf you can still contrive the expanses around you. You also tend to be more independent for if you are not blind you can see what is around and know what it will bring. For you can see a storm cloud and so foresee rain, and you can see something that can not be perceived from any other sense, such as a thousand smiling faces. It has been said, “a picture is worth a thousand words,” and I see this as still true.

However the loss of hearing is a great one. For the loss of hearing requires communication to be slower as writing or sign language instead of spoken words. Hearing also makes receiving important directions, such as those given in an emergency, difficult for they are often oral. Being deaf also denies us of many of the great sounds of nature and life such as the roar of the ocean and the tumult of applause in a standing ovation as a response to an inspiring symphony. These sounds we have become to take as granted, but we are privileged to have them. I think someone who has loss both senses can become literate adults through help. Help from the world, friends, and often one kind individual such as Anne or Polly, who through kindness helped a world leader, Helen Keller.

16. Helen Keller was a very inspirational women. She inspired people all over the world. She lived her life to the fullest. What inspires me the most, is that she did not let her disabilities get in her way. I also thought it was neat when she learned how to ride horses. She was a strong socialist and was against the wars. What was also cool, was that she meet eight different presidents.

I think it would be more devistating to loose your sight than your hearing. If you lost your sight than you would keep running into all sorts of things. When you can’t see you will never really know what everything looks like. A bad thing about not being able to hear is that you would never hear any directions, and it would be hard to speak.

17. I was amazed at how many schools Helen Keller went to. She couldn’t see or hear, and she still graduated from Harvard’s sister school, Radcliffe, with High Honors. She was the first ever deaf-blind person to receive a college degree. One of the things that amazed me was that she didn’t learn to speak until she was thirteen years old. Yet, she was still a talented public speaker, giving speeches along with writing fourteen books! I was intrigued how Anne Sullivan taught her words using the water pump. She even learned thirty words that day. She was also taught how to write with Braille and regular manuscript. I found almost funny how many political views that she had. She seemed to have an opinion on everything! Despite her disabilities, she still managed to enjoy the things she liked; including horseback riding, reading, chess, and learning different languages. She accomplished more than most people without disabilities are able to.
    I personally would rather lose my hearing than my sight. I think that learning to communicate if you were really young would be a lot harder. It would be really hard to learn to talk if you couldn’t hear yourself. I’m not saying that losing your sight wouldn’t be hard, but I personally learn better visually. If you lost your sight, then you would need to always have somebody with you to help you get around everywhere. Imagine forgetting what your loved ones looked like, and never being able to see their face again. If you have or receive any type of disability, then you focus on what you can do and make the best of it instead of feeling sorry for yourself. Just look at the obstacles Helen Keller had to surpass!

18. What really amazed me on the site was how Hellen got through school with her disability. That she had a teacher that always worked with her and taught her chess. She also went though normal school with kids who don’t have disabilities.
    It was interesting also that she could write her own book and now it is published in 50 different languages. In 1904 she got her collage degree.
    I think loss of hearing is worse because if you can’t hear it makes it harder for you to talk, and you can’t listen to music or anybody talk. The loss of your sight means that you can’tread you would have to have people ready for you and it would be harder to learn.
    Someone who has lost both their sight and hearing could read with brail and and by putting your hand on someones thought you can feel the vibrations made when you talk and figure out what they are saying. It is also possibleto learn to talk, but not very fluently like we do. With this he or she can become well educated and might be able to do some normal things.

19. When I Saw how Hellen was blind, and deaf as a child, I was thinking to myself how horrible that would have been. Then I kept reading, and she learned how to speak, And Write. That shows how some people can do the impossible and I think Hellen Keller is a big Role model for not only disabled children/people, but all people. She shows determination and how just being able to know 30 words in one day as a blind and deaf person is AMAZING! That part really blew my mind. Then Hellen was so happy with her accomplishment, she went to almost 50 countries to teach other disabled kids. But, What amazed me the most, is how she wrote a book and is published in many languages, Thats amazing to me. So Hellen Keller is really an inspiration to all people. Disabled or not. I think loss of sight would be worse than being blind because you couldn’t see at all. When you cant hear you can still see the things around you and u can learn better as in reading,writing,and talking. Even though your talking wont be perfect. I think If you couldn’t see that would be a big problem for many things you do everyday. just like walking around your room. You would have to memorize what your house is exactly like, and if you moved, or things around you changed, that would be horrible, and hard to get used to. If your someone who can’t see or Hear, can learn from physical things, like for example, Hellen was taught what water was from spelling it in her hand, and then pouring water in her hand.

20. The Hellen Kelller web site was really cool i never knew how she could read out of her palm and understand it. The girl that taught Hellen, anne, was amazing she changed Hellens life forever. I thought that it would be impossible for her to learn how to write but she proved me wrong, it said that she leard thirty words in a day! What really suprised me was that she wrote forteen books and went to college and traveled around the world supporting deaph school and foundations.
    I think that being blind would be harder to live with then being deaf but the hard part about being deaf is that you wouldnt know how to speak, but being blind would measn not being able to know where you are going or what things look like. Someone with both disabilaties by using your other 3 scenes by touching and smelling and tasting.

21. When I was exploring the website, I found tons of information that I found interesting. I Thought it was amazing how someone who can’t see has handwriting that is actually legible. The fact that Helen Keller could write at all was pretty impressive. I thought it was cool because the way she wrote her “d” in the picture of her handwriting looks a lot how I write my “d.” I thought it was cool that Helen Keller could type as well. I can’t say that I was surprised, because I can type with my eyes closed, I guess it just takes practice before you get familiar enough with things that you can do them without seeing them. I think that’s the same thing with being blind, once you get familiar with a place, you can walk around it without having to worry about bumping into things. To test my idea of familiarity, I blindfolded myself and walked down the hall, down the stairs into the kitchen, got a muffin and went back. I was so familiar with my surroundings I only tripped once, because my sister left something on the floor.

I think the greater disability is being blind. When you are deaf, you can still learn how to read lips and you can feel vibrations from speakers and so you aren’t as cut off as much as when you are blind, if your friend gets pudding on their nose at lunch, you wouldn’t see it so you couldn’t laugh, or if someone draws a funny cartoon, you wouldn’t see it. I am a visual learner so I find it more difficult to imagine not being able to see. When I did my experiment on familiarity, I found it hard to walk without my hand in front of my or running it along the wall. I realized that I take my ability to see a bit for granted.

1. @nicole15, Nicole, wonderful response. Thanks for going the extra mile and doing the “familiarity test.” We’ll be doing something similar in class!

22. The main idea that impacted me while reading this, was all of the things that Helen accomplished. If you just heard about all of the things she was a part of, you wouldn’t think she was blind or deaf. Her teacher, Anne Sullivan, started off by teaching her by signing the letters in her hand. Soon Helen could sign the alphabet, then she learned Braille and could write. She was accepted into Radcliffe College, which was the sister school to Harvard, when women couldn’t go to Harvard. She was the first blind and deaf person to earn a college degree. Also, Helen was learning French, German, and Latin. She also learned chess and how to horseback riding. Her first book, out of fourteen, was published in 1902, and it was translated into 50 languages. Helen could talk, and wrote many speeches. She also joined the Suffragists, who were people who wanted equal treatment for women and men. Helen thought that everything should do with people’s needs, not their power and money. Helen was in a silent movie based on her life. It was called Deliverance. She and Anne played themselves. They both went on tour giving lectures and putting on shows. Later Helen joined the American Foundation For the Blind. She was the ambassador of it for forty four years. On Braille and regular typewriters, Helen was a very good typer too. There was a documentary on her life that she was in called “Helen Keller in Her Story” which was originally called “The Unconquered”. She received an academy award for it. There were many other things that Helen Keller did as well, and other experiences she had, but that is just the start of her very successful life.

I honestly can not decide which would be worse, losing sight or hearing. It’s an extremely hard question. I guess I just couldn’t imagine life without either of them, they are essential in my life. If you don’t have vision, you would never get to see your friends and family, and the world around. You would not be able to see the sun set or the stars in the sky. It also would be hard to get around without seeing where you’re going. If you didn’t have hearing, then you could never hear what anything sounds like, even your own voice, you wouldn’t be able to hear a nice singing voice, or the waves of the ocean crashing on the shore. It would also be so hard to comprehend anything, because you couldn’t hear it to understand it, and I think it would be hard to learn language without being able to hear it. Someone who has lost both senses would have to become a literate adult by learning Braille, and signing on the palm of your hand. I can’t exactly explain it, because I haven’t been in that position, but I would guess that it’s extremely difficult. I think it’s just amazing for anyone who doesn’t have one or two of their senses to learn language, it’s really, really amazing.

23. I was surprised that Helen reminded Alexander Graham Bell of another girl. This proves how extraordinary she really was for she was not the only blind and deaf person but the only one that accomplished as much as she did. I also did not know that Helen could write. I knew she could speak and write in braille but writing is even more mind boggling. I was dazzled to find out that she wrote a book. I really am speechless about it. I think that loss of sight is the greater disability. Sports is kind of my life and without my eyes I would not have been able to play sports. My ears though I would still know which way I am going, I just would not be able to hear things like the roar of the crowd. I think that it would be very hard for someone to become a ‘normal’ human being that is blind and deaf in this world. But, with the proper teaching and with dedication from people like Anne Sullivan as well as yourself anything is possible.

24. What stood out to me in Obama’s speech was when he explained why education was important and how it got him where he is now. He helped me belive with education you can do whatever your heart desires.
    I think personal responsibility means that you need to take action on what you do everyday and use it wisely. I am responsilble for my own learning because I have the chose of really listing and trying to understand what my teachers are trying to teach me.
    Goals are things you strive for to achieve something you want to do. Some goals that I set for myself are getting good grades in school, being a good role model to my friends, teachers, and family, and to be the best I can be everyday. Some goals that I have achieved were getting on point in ballet, doing well in my tennis tournament, and being able to run with my dad for long distances.
    I think that having a postive attitude toward everything makes me a successful person and student.
    I think one of the challenges in my generation is to balance everything out from shcool to after school activities to their own social lifes. I know I struggle with it.
    After seeing the video of Helen Keller, I know why lots of people idle her for her determination for learning and how haveing conflicts such as Helen’s never stoped her from fulfilling her life as a person.