Traveling To Shakespeare’s London From Home!

You are about to embark on a virtual journey: Shakespeare’s London. Please visit the link below to begin your trip; you don’t even need a passport! The itinerary is listed on the left menu bar. You may select any fifteen days to visit. After reading the text and checking out any links, you should scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the video, photo, and scrapbook options.

When you have returned from your trip to London, I would like for you to answer the following prompt:

Please tell me the most interesting thing you have learned from each day’s activities and why; you should have at least fifteen facts or reflections gathered from your travels.

I suggest you jot down each day’s thoughts as you read; it’s far easier than having to go back and retrace your steps. For those of you who look for shortcuts, and I know you’re out there, don’t just write down the first thing you see on a page and then go on to another day, you’ll be missing out on everything this site has to offer; besides, I’ll be able to tell. Remember, your responses are all about the details and the effort you put into them.

Due to the amount of interactives and reading, you will have an extra day, Thursday, by which to get your response in.

Die dulci fruere! And pack lightly!

Shakespeare’s London

Please visit the 2009 Blogging Challenge tab at the top of the site. Read Challenge 4, and watch the video. What are you going to do for Earth Hour 09? (March 28, 2009, 8:30-9:30 pm)

1. On my first day I got to the very large airport and I found the questions they asked me to get into the country interesting. They had to ask me “how long are you staying in London? What exactly is the purpose of your visit? What is ProjectExplorer?”.
    The second day I was there was interesting because we had to drive in a car and it was very different from driving in America. It was hard for us to adjust to all of the differences.
    The fifth day we went to Anne Hathaway’s cottage and I found it cool that it was like it was straight out of a storybook with a thatched roof and everything. I have always wondered what it was like living in a house like that.
    On the seventh day, we learned that the vicar of Shakespeare’s final house grew irritated of all the visitors and demolished the house. I thought that was very interesting.
    On the eighth day I thought it was super cool to see Shakespeare’s will in the archives. I liked seeing what the person wanted the most for after they died.
    On the ninth day, we visited the Tower of London. I thought it was cool how it had twenty-one towers. Also it was over 1,000 years old but people still lived there.
    On the tenth day, I found out that the wealthier people of the country would eat exotic foods like peacocks! I think it is very different eating a peacock.
    On the eleventh day we went to the supermarket and it was really cool. It was strange seeing rabbits hanging for sale because that is not something you would see back home in Publix.
    On the fourteenth day, we visited the Clink Jail Museum and I thought it was cool how some people thought the Clink prison was named after the noises of clinking from the irons and chains on the prisoners.
    On the eighteenth day, a guy named simon in the parliament told us he worked fifteen hours a day which really was inspiring.
    On the twentieth day, we went to the Whitechapel Bell Foundry and I learned that it was responsible for Big Ben and the Liberty Bell.
    On the twenty-second day, we learned that the plants in Chelsea Physic Garden related to Shakespeare because of the different potions in the flowers in his plays. They were actually accurate.
    On the twenty-fourth day, we visited Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre. I found it interesting that they try to keep it classic and don’t use sound equipment or special effects.
    On the twenty-seventh day, we met Paterson Joseph who is a shakespearean actor. I thought that was really cool to meet someone who was an actual actor.
    On the last day, the thirtieth, we learned about “Midsummer Night’s Dream” which I thought was funny because we started reading that in school also.
    I had a great time and learned a lot!

2. This blog assignment came at a perfect time as I am planning our trip to England and now I know exactly what I want to see. It was the perfect preview and I plan on making my first stop at the Tower of London. I was surprised that the Tower of London is not one tower but a bunch of towers that make up a fortress. I was also surprised that people actually live in the fortress and agree to abide by the mandatory curfew of ten o’clock. If you don’t make it home by ten your locked out! The story told by Chris about the Bloody Tower gave me chills. I never new that Anne Boleyn was King Henry’s second wife out of eight and she was executed outside of the Tower Green.
    On my second day of web travel I went to Wilton House. I never knew that people actually ate peacocks! During the Tudor age new foods like tomatoes, pineapples, and chocolate were brought from the New World to England. The site also had interesting facts about King Henry VII. He wanted a son so there would be a boy to carry on as heir to the throne so he divorced each wife that did not bear him a son.
    The third day I went to The Clink Prison Museum. I learned that bear baiting was a bold sport where a bear was chained to a stake and was attacked by dogs. I find this very cruel. The video at this site talked about torture and what a valuable tool it is to obtain information from the prisoners. It was interesting that the guards had to get the approval of the King or the Queen before torture techniques could be used. Bribery was also widespread in the prison and you could use it to get better cells or food if you were lucky enough to have money, but if you were poor you had to beg for money just to get some food.
    Neal’s Yard Dairy was my fourth stop and one of the highlights of my travel. My cousins live in Wisconsin and whenever I go there we go to this big cheese store and try on cheese hats! I wonder if these cheese experts have a dairy degree. May be they went to Cheese Head University? I never knew that cheese is really rotten or coagulated milk. I also didn’t realize that cheese may contain rennet that is made from animal parts. I would have to try English cheese before I say that it is better than Wisconsin cheese. I still can’t believe that blue cheese has mold in it. Those English people have a long history with cheese. They even ate cheese during Shakespeare time, but usually hard cheeses because they did not have refrigeration.
    On the fifth day I enjoyed some tea at the Bramah Tea Museum. I am a big tea connoisseur. I drink it hot or cold during any weather so this Museum really sparked my interest. England is like the tea capital of the world and even has a certain time of the day for drinking it. Four o’clock is tea time and I hope there is some crumpets too! I always thought that tea was invented in England but it first started in Japan and China and traveled to England.
    Chelsea Physic Garden was my next stop. This place interested me because I have my own garden at home and I love to watch my plants grow and bloom flowers. I like how the garden did not have flowering plants but instead was made up of plants that produced products like herbs, spices, and tobacco. I can’t believe that this garden is three hundred and thirty three years old!
    On the seventh day I did falconry. I never knew that their was an art in training birds such a hawks, falcons, and eagles to hunt. I always thought that wild birds could never to trained to do things like bring back food or even let you touch it. This art must have been very useful in the olden days if people did not know how to hunt because they could teach a hawk or other bird to do it for you.
    On the eighth day I went to King Edward VI school, the school where Shakespeare may have attended. I still can’t believe that a school this old is still in use. The day of a school boy was unbelievable. Twelve hour of studying a day, six days a week and no sports or clubs. That’s some studying! You better not get caught interrupting or you get wacked with a switch. Die dulci fruere means have a good day in Latin which Shakespeare may have learned during one of those long school days.
    Since this huge Ferris wheel has always scared me, I saved it for the ninth day. I know that my mom’s going to have me on it. The British Airways London Eye is quite a sight. It is a giant Ferris wheel that lets you see London from above. It takes an hour to go around twice! To my surprise the carts where like little rooms and were very large. The rooms have a floor so your legs don’t hang and a big glass window all the way around. The rooms look like clear pill capsule. I never knew that a Ferris Wheel could be made so large and lift you four hundred feet in the air. I once watched a show about the Eye which said it was the largest Ferris wheel in the world and the most safest. I hope so!
    On the tenth day I went on the Tube. The Tube is the first underground railway. I always thought that New York had the first underground train. I love the subways in New York and I couldn’t wait to compare them to the ones in England. I was surprised that the stations and train are so clean. The seats have these cozy cushioned which you never find in New York. I think I would miss all the great graffiti on the New York trains, but I sure wouldn’t miss the filth. The English trains were impeccably clean.
    Next stop was the National Archives which contain the most important documents held by England. Some are over a thousand years old. What surprised me is that there are only six known signatures by Shakespeare. One of these signatures is on his will. He wrote his will just before his death and left most of his estate to Susannah, his older daughter. He also left some of his things to his fellow actors and some things to his wife, Anne.
    On the twelve day I went to New Place which was Shakespeare’s final home. Vicars caught my attention. Even though they were priests they still informed people about current events like wars, royalty, and other political in the old days. In the town, vicars were the only ones that were able to read and write which made them very important. An interesting fact that this site shared was about a vicar who owned Shakespeare’s finial house when Shakespeare was famous. Crowds were drawn to the home once Shakespeare became popular. This upset the vicar so much that it drove him to demolished the house.
    Anne Hathaway’s cottage was lucky thirteen. It surprised me that cottages actually look like the ones described in the stories. A thatched roof and stone walls and even the white and brown square checkered wall. The windows were small and had gating over them. I never knew that the cottage is the unofficial symbol of England and is often found printed on tea towels and chocolate. I never realized that the cottages I read about in fairy tales really existed. I can almost visualize William Shakespeare and his wife with their children standing outside one of these cottages.
    On the day prior to my departure I went to eat at Busaba. This is a Thai restaurant in London and I love Thai food. I was surprised to find Thai restaurants in England. I didn’t know that England was influenced by Asian cuisine. Curry, a very spicy dish, is one of the most popular foods in England. Curry has a unique taste that can make your ears pop. I can’t wait to try out England’s interpretation of curry!
    On the last day of my trip I stopped by the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. This bell foundry was established in 1570 and is responsible for bells like Big Ben and the Liberty Bell. It takes days to create a bell. The hot metal has to be poured into the mold and dried before it looks like a bell. When the liquid is pored in it is a reddish yellow color and about two-thousand degrees F. These bells have designs all over them and range from small hand bells to bells the size of me. This virtual trip taught me so much about England and what it has to offer. I got great ideas about where I want to go and what activities I want do when I visit. It is such an old country with so much to offer visitors. It definitely won’t be a relaxing vacation!

3. Day 1 was when we took of from NYC to London. It was my very first time leaving North America. When we got off the plane the time felt like I was living the same portion of the day for several hours. I really did not feel like traveling today because I was exhausted from the flight and we have a lot of time to learn and see the historical sites of England. Our hotel was located in Southwark I was happy to be somewhere near a bed. Thank gosh I did not feel jet lagged because sometimes I get home sick where I want to go home immediately. Day 2 we got some breakfast and began our tour around the cities. Our first stop was Stratford-upon-Avon where the famous play writer, William Shakespeare, was born. We went to his house which was pretty big during his time. He had enough room to express his feelings in his writing and his dad had room to work quietly in his workshop without getting bothered. His house might have served many apprentices coming to observe William’s father. Day 3 we went to Holy Trinity Church. We might our tour guide, Reverend Gorick, who told us how there was many religious conflicts in England. The archetecture work of the building was very beautiful especially the stain glass inside. He also showed us the graveyard where some of the Shakespeare family had been buried, including William Shakespeare. When I saw his epitaph it really inspired me. Day 4 we learn how people in Elizabethan Times spent their days at school. The boys would spent 12 hours in a small room learning, mostly in Latin, and there was absolutely no time for free time such as talking to friends or playing sports. If they did not obey their rules they would whack them with a switch. I could not survive during these times. What amazed me about William Shakespeare was he did not attend to become a university witt. As good as a writer that he was I think he should have become one to keep up with his thoughts and organizational skills. Day 5 we went to see Anne Hathaway’s cottage who ended up marrying William Shakespeare. The cottage’s roof was made from thatch which was used during the times before christ. We also saw the second bed which was in William’s will. Day 6 was when we spent the day looking at some old recorded documents from the Elizabethan times. It was really difficult reading in Latin! I could use Mrs. Grau’s help for this one! Day 7 we went to New Place to see William’s final home that he had lived in. Today it is surrounded by a beautiful knot garden. Day 8 was when we went to Paper Trail where we saw letters and documents that showed William’s name on it. We had to were gloves to touch the letters. Day 9 we went to see the Tower of London. Did you know that the Tower of London was a fortress and a prison! We also saw the Bloody Tower were we learned how it got its name. How could someone kill two young princes. Tower of Green was also a prison where Anne Boleyn was imprisoned here. Day 10 we went to eat like we were in Tudor times such as turkish pizza and a special type of cheese. Day 11 we went to go to the Borough Market where we picked some fresh fruits. Day 12 we went to learn how to train a falcon. The techniques of covering its face and everything was amazing. Maybe I can use the falcon to eat some rats. Day 13 we went to see how the printing press worked and what kind of font it used when it was typing. Some of these fonts we use today! Day 14 we went to the Clink Prison Museum and learned how the people of England were so interested into bear baiting. Day 15 we went back to the airport and I said one goodbye to the rich historical city. I loved England and I wish I can go back again!

4. I had such a fun time in London! It was so different from America, which made it exciting to experience another country. On the first day of my London trip I flew on a plane for seven hours and arrived in London at 11:00am. The airport was so big! Before I could officially enter London airport security was required to ask my several questions. It took a while for us to actually get out of the airport but once we did we got in a cab and drove out to the city. I was very relieved once we reached our hotel because our cab driver wasn’t the best and at the end of the drive I felt carsick. Our hotel was called the Mad Hatter Hotel, and from what I’ve heard, it used to be a hat factory. Day two on my trip was really exciting. The beginning of the day was extremely difficult because I attempted to drive the car. It was probably one of the hardest experiences of my life! Personally I like driving on the side of the road I’m used to. One really fun place that we got to was William Shakespeare’s Birthplace. The house was pretty big, but it had a lot of squeaky stairs! On the third day of my trip we visited the Holy Trinity Church Stratford. It was giant! When we walked in I was stunned! The stain glass windows were astonishing and made the church look beautiful. During our visit we met Reverend Martin Gorick who has a great personality. He told us all about the church and he also mentioned how the modern extension is where William Shakespeare is buried and some of his family too. School was the main topic we learned about on the fourth day. We visited the school the Shakespeare might have attended. School back then must’ve been very tiring considering the fact the in one room; schoolboys spent up to 12 hours a day learning! And the punishment for talking out in class would be teacher hitting you with a switch. Now on my fifth day in London, driving has become a little easier for me. Today we visited Anne Hathaway’s cottage. She grew up in the cottage and she was also Shakespeare’s wife. According to some people, Shakespeare made Anne fall in love with him by reading his plays to her. On the sixth day we visited Stratford Records Office where we met Dr. Bob Bearman who showed us the many rooms of the office. We were also able to look at files and documents from Shakespeare’s time which was pretty hard to read. We went to the New Place on the seventh day. Everything there had been destroyed except one foundation and a well. Apparently a vicar named Francis Gastrell bought the house right after Shakespeare dies in the 1700’s. Then people started visiting the house because of his death and Francis Gastrell got annoyed and demolished the house. On day eight we were back in London. We took a train ride to National Archives. We had the chance to learn how to preserve documents and how records have changed with the internet and computers. The ninth day was fascinating because we visited the Tower of London. The tower was about 1,000 years old! Wow! There was also Tower Green where people were executed. The next day we met Ros at the Wilton House here we learned about kitchens and different types of food. The next day we went to Borough Market. There was tons of food and people. I saw a lot of food that I had never seen before! During the twelfth day I got to experience falconry. We got to fly Harrison Hawks which was so exciting! I didn’t even know people still did falconry. On the thirteenth day we visited the St. Bride Library. The printing presses were very slow and I was fascinated about how they had to assemble it all by hand. On the fourteenth day we got to learn about crime and punishment. I thought it was horrible how you could be let go from the crime if you could read a passage from the bible. Because you could do something really bad and not get punished at all if you could read something. To me, that’s not reasonable. On the fifteenth day we rode the tube. It was really interesting. I found that riding the tube was a great way to get around and avoid traffic.
    This trip to London was really fun and educational.

5. Day 1: I landed in London Today and I am as anxious as ever to get started on things so I rented a car and started to drive to Stratford. Trust me driving on the other side of the road feels weird.

Day 2: After arriving in Stratford I visited the birthplace of William Shakespeare. I could almost feel what it was like for him as a child to be in that house. I found it was interesting that people had serving windows then. Also I learned what Goodnight, Sleep tight comes from.

Day 3: Today I went New Home. There I met Jill Pickles. She help me learn more about what Shakespeare’s house would look like in his time and also I learned that some destroyed it because they were angry with him.

Day 4: Today I went back to the city and visited the National Archives. When I was there David showed me some documents from Shakespeare’s time. Including his will and a poster with his name on it.

Day 5: Today I visited the tower of London and I learned that it is haunted. People including Walter Raleigh were held there.

Day 6: I was told today that in the time of Shakespeare a common food was peacock that is disgusting I would never eat that in my life.

Day 7: I visited Borough market there I tried so fresh bread and cheese. I also learned that in England they have better postures than in America.

Day 8: Today I learned how to falconry. I also got to meet some wonderful birds and at the end of the day I went to Bob, the instructors house to have tea.

Day 9: Today I learned how they printed papers a while back. People had to arrange to letter to form words then cover them with ink, when that is done they have to press in onto a piece of paper.

Day 10: Today I went to an interview with Simon Hughes. One thing that is cool about the English government system is that one person represents a lot less then in the U.S.

Day 11: Today I enjoyed a lot of cheese I learned that Bleu Cheese is really mold that grow in the cheese that was probably discovered accidentally.
    Day 12: I learned today that bells are still made the same way as Elizabethan Times. They are poured into molds. Also there was a guy that new the exact note the bell played.

Day 13: Visiting the Royal Shakespeare Company was awesome. I got to see the scraps of costumes that were being used in the play of Romeo and Juliet tonight.

Day 14: Today I heard Christopher recite the last lines in the play A Midsummer Night’s Dream it was great I can’t believe we are leaving tomorrow.

Day 15: Today we are heading for the airport and I’ll be back in New York by tomorrow morning. The trip was great I really would love to go back.

Alex

6. Over a period of thirty days I traveled ‘Beautiful England’. These are fifteen of my favorite days:

Day 1) On this day we went to the house where William Shakespeare and his family lived, according to legend. I loved learning about William’s father, his workshop, and it’s products. Since I am so facinated with historical facts, details, as tiny as they may be, are fulfilling to me.
    2) We then visited the Holy Trinity Church. Besides the fact that every church is special and unique to me because they present the Gospel of Jesus Christ, this church held special significance because William Shakespeare not only attended, but was also buried there.
    3) I also enjoyed experiencing the kitchen and it’s parts according to Tudor Times. I now understand that according to ones wealth would ultimately determine the exotic foods one ate.
    4) The Market… this is considered the most entertaining part of any day for my family, and definitely an amazing experience for me. My whole family adores the fresh markets and enjoy the delacacies of exotic foods. The freshness and all the colors of the foods completely churn our senses.
    5) All I have to say is… “Tea Time…” Do I love tea and the yummy little goodies that go along with any tea party. I loved learning about all the different types of tea and their distinct differences in scents and tastes. I also learned the proper way of serving tea… oh Dahling, like I didn’t already know!
    6) The Flower Garden. Unlike today, the flower garden then was used for training apothecaries and also for many herbal remedies, (known as medicines,) that cured several people. It was also very interesting to understand that flowers are not just there to look pretty, but rather they are there to save lives.
    7) I loved being able to speak to Tom Piper. Since he works in the theatre business, I was fascinated with his works and creativity. It was a pleasure to meet and speak with Mr. Piper.
    8) I was definitely intersted in learning about Shakespeare’s school that he is said to have gone to. What I found most intriquing was that his school was an all boys school. Also, a normal school day was twelve hours long, six days a week, and there were no sports or extracurricular activites following school. Well, “Die Dulci Fruere.” (Latin for: have a good day.)
    9) I loved trying the Thai restaurant. I have never had Thai before, and so, this was a treat for me. Busaba had great architectual design and was very comfortable. “La Gon!” (Thai for: Goodbye.)
    10) My family are cheese-loving-fanatics. Several nights our dinners are made up of cut-up cheese, grapes, and good Italien crackers. And so, it was very fun learning about all the differnt types of cheese with Martin!
    11) Today we practiced falconry. As you might know, I have never participated in this aristocratic sport ever before! It was a great experience. It was very interesting learning about the History of Falconry. Basically, falconry is the sport of “flying” birds and having them hunt. We didn’t have them hunt, though, just “fly.”
    12) The London Eye. The London Eye is a sort of Ferris Wheel. I am not one to enjoy a tall ride, so I was a bit apprehensive. Once I got on the Ferris Wheel though, it was not so bad… it was actually kind of fun!
    13) Wow! The Nationall Archives…do I feel special. There were the most important documents of England dating back about a thousand years, in the Archives. We learned all about the preservation of documents and how they are recorded. It was an amazing experience!
    14) We got to travel to the Royal National Theatre in South Bank. There we spoke to actor Paterson Johnson. It was a real honor speaking to Paterson, considering he was just in a play not too long before.
    15) We had the great priveledge of visiting Anne Hathaway’s home in Stratford. Anne was the wife of William Shakespeare. It was a beautiful home. It had a thatched roof and looked like an absolute fairy-tale home!

My trip to England is one that I will remember for the rest of my life!

-Cheerio!

7. I really enjoyed this website. I thought I learned a lot from it and learned more about Shakespeare. The first day was really a relaxing day from the trip. It took all day to get there. The plane ride was about seven hours but I slept throw most of it. When we got of the plane we rented a car and went strait to our hotel. I thought it was weird that we were diving on the opposite side of the road. On the second day I went to the Tower of London. It was very old about 1000 years old. There were many other towers that made up the fortress. The oldest one was the White Towers, it was in the center. The third day I visited the Holy Trinity Church. The church was very big and was made out of limestone. Shakespeare was baptized in the Holy Trinity Church and also when he died he was buried there. Day four we went to Chelsea Physic Garden. I was a very pretty garden. We learned about many kinds of flowers and how they can be helpful. I thought it was very relaxing there I did not want to leave. On the fifth day I went to the falconry. It was very exiting with the falcons. The falcon was on my arm and I got to fly them. On the seventh day we went on The British Airways London Eye. It stands up to 443 feet high in the air. It was so much fun riding on the huge Ferris wheel. On the eight-day we went to Thai restaurant. There food was delicious. My favorite was the curry. It is the most popular food there. On the night day we went on the Tube. I was the first underground railway. The subway takes you everywhere in London. The subway was way better than the car. We visited Anne Hatchway’s Cottage on the tenth day. She was married to William Shakespeare and that is were they lived. On the eleventh day we saw Big Ben. It is a huge bell inside a Great Clock of Westminster. The bell weighs over 13 tons. Day twelve we went to the Royal Shakespeare Company. We went to Tom Piper’s office. He had a small office and there were photos and his drawings all around the room. On the thrith day we went to King Edwards VI. We got to meet Mr. Biddle, he teaches in the same room Shakespeare was taught in. He was very nice man. Shakespeare’s Gobble was very big. That’s where they preformed all there plays I thought it was really cool to see. The last day was a relaxing day. We got everything together and got really to go back home. I thought that was a very fun experience to have.

8. Hi! I am the director of the ProjectExplorer Shakespeare series. I am so glad that you enjoyed your trip and hope that you had as much fun exploring England as we did.

Username, acobb7, I’d love to hear more about how you used ProjectExplorer in the classroom. Would you kindly contact me at jennyATprojectexplorer.org

9. On day one, even though it is not really related to the subject of england, I thought it was cool that they still stamped passport. On day two, I was really surprised that Shakespeare’s birthplace was still standing. It has been there since the 14 0r 1500’s. On day three, I thought that the size and complexity of the church compared to its age was just amazing. They did not have advanced tools like we do so it was probably all man powered. On day three, I thought it was very interesting that the classroom that Shakespeare might have been taught in is still being used. I also noticed that the plaque shows the reflection of the photographer. On the fifth day, I learned that Shakespeare married the daughter of a farmer. I always thought he had married a much higher class person. On the sixth day, I thought it was interesting that the documents from that time still survived and were in good condition. On day seven, I thought it was really stupid of the vicar to demolish the house. He was really selfish and was only thinking of himself and not the people of the future. On the eighth day, I though it was really cool how that guy found the book that was being described in the book by Charles Dickens. It is really cool how he could stumble upon that book. On the ninth day, I thought that the people that live in the tower were crazy. How do their children not get nightmares about the stuff that went on their. I sure would. On the tenth day, I thought it was weird that someone would actually eat a peacock. They don’t look like they have much meat on them. On the Eleventh day, I thought it was really sad that they just hung the rabbits there with the fur still on. That is just plain depressing. On the twelfth day, I learned for the first time about the sport of falconry. I never knew it existed. On the thirteenth day, I thought that having to put each individual letter into the press seemed like something that may take a couple of days to do but realized that some people had to do that everyday for a daily paper. On the fourteenth day, I am too scared to say anything about this day because I just dropped a note card. On the fifteenth and final day, I thought it was interesting that there was a gap between the train and the station platform. That is a potential disaster.

1. @acobb7, Day 14 was the tower of London. The person from Project Explorer thought ghosts were making her drop her notecard, and I droped my notecard while reading that.

10. Day One: Traveling NYC to London was pretty long but we added some humor to the trip with some crazy cab rides and plane trips we had entertainment and good books. When we got there we checked into the MadHatter hotel in London. The English they spoke sounded like a different language but it was just their strong acsents.

Day Two: Driving on the other side of the road was vere very different for the entire family and not only that the steering wheel is on the oppisite side. While driving down the road we saw William Shakespear’s house in the middle of modern building and shops.

Day Three: We ate at the Hampton Court for lunch.The food was quite exquisite as well as the restauraunt. Back then,when the restaurant was built in the 1600s, the kitchens were made of stone. They served exotic dishes such as Peacock and rats rats ran freely.

Day Four: Today we went to the worlds largest observation wheel. It was so cool you could see for miles on end and many famous buildings some them were Saint Paul’s Cathedral, Windsor Castle and my favorite Big Be. Finally the things that you went up in were fascinating because of how many people they could hold.

Day Five: We visited the Chelsea Physic Garden today. It was neat because of its past, it was a secret garden built to experiment herbal remedles in the 1600s to train early pharmacists.

Day Six: We went to the cheese store today it is called Neal’s Yard. It smelled weird and disgusting, but we had some samples they were pretty good for a bad smell.

Day Seven: Tonight’s premeir was the Thai food returaunt at Busaba because everyone told us how great it was and the excellent service. We had fun but thought the food was okay.

Day Eight: We went to see A Midsummers Night’s Dream. It was a great show and cannot wait to tell Mrs.Cobb and how well I understood after reading the book (it pays off in the end).

Day Nine: We visited the bell foundary it is one of London’s oldest manufactures. It was established in 1507. There were so many different types of bells. Also they tons of rooms one was for bell tuning other for molds another for finishing touches and so on. something that was really cool was that they made Big Ben and that was the largest bell they had ever made weighing in at thirteen and a half tons.

Day Ten: Today we went to The St. Bride Library weThe first press was brought here in 1476 and the letters were on blocks. We learned how the books used to be made. Also there are several types of printer. The books that had more white on the page were more time-consuming to print.

Day Eleven: We went to the Shalekespeare Hotel in Stratford and we were served scones and tea cakes and sandwiches at Tea Time.

Day Twelve: We drove to the Royal Agricultural Grounds today to look at birds. People in the Elizabethean times played falconry games and there were tons of squawking and squealing. And they let the birds come to you and sit on your hand.

Day Thirteen: We saw the 1000 year old Tower of London. Prisoners and Queens have lived here. Each night it is locked down at 10PM. There are also many myths about ghosts and prisoners roaming about the castle. And people actually live there now.

Day Fourteen: We went to Anne Hathaway’s house and she was the one who ended up marrying William Shakespear. Something that sounds really interesting is the”best bed.” Also the house is on chocolates and towels as a symbol.

Day Fifteen: To wrap my trip up I went to the Clink Prison Museum they would punish people for weird reasons. The conditions were awful and so were the punishments.

My trip to London was by far the best with all of the history, food, wonderful structures and famous ancestors.

11. Day 1- School’s in Session
    I went to see what it was like in Sheakspeare time for boys that went to school, since they were the only ones that could. Shakespeare and his brothers went to King Edward VI Grammar School, which was built in 1553, because their father could afford it. They had school for 12 hours, which ment no time for afterschool activities or sports. I would die! Today I’m learning french but then they had to learn latin. I also found out that Shakespeare didn’t go on to a University like most writers, so that was the end of his educational life.
    Day 2- Tower of London
    The Tower of London is about 1000 years old. It once held kings and queens, but is now a home for some people. I think it’s a little cool but scary at the same time. The tower is also called the Bloody Tower. Yuck! It was used to hang some famous people of that time. I found out that some say the ghosts still roam around in the tower. Scary!
    Day 3- Let’s Eat
    I am hungry. I learned that back then the kitchens were very dark and were made out of stone. Servants were in the kitchen cooking. Imagine at a giant house with a lot of peole, servant my have to serve about 1200 people. Talk about a lot of dishes. I just found out that if you were a royal visitor, feasts and banquests would be put on and you may even get entertainment. How cool is that!
    Day 4- Crime and Punishment
    I wonder what would happen to me if I did something bad? The Clink Prison Museum that’s were I’ll go to find my answer. The term “sitting on the edge of your seat” comes from a torture chair that was inside the prison. Interesting! Many people were imprisoned for religious reasons. If you could read a passage from the bible you were not sentenced for death penalty for that crime but if you couldn’t your punishment would be far worse. If you were a poor prisoner you would sometimes have to catch and east rats. Disgusting!
    Day 5- Say Cheese
    Yummy, cheese! Today I got to explore the world of cheese. There was so much cheese. I found out that keeping your cheese in a refridgerator doesn’t keep the full flavor, at a temperature slightly warmer keeps the natural flavor of the cheese. Who would have known. I got a lesson on the proccess of making cheese and why some are soft or hard, or blue or creamy, things like that. At the end of the day I honestly felt like a little mouse.
    Day 6- Bells are Ringing
    Bells have been around for a long time and so has the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. It was established in 1570. An interesting fact I just learned is that this bell factory made some of the worlds famouse bells such as Big Ben and the Liberty Bell in Philidelphia. As I walked through the building I got to see the different rooms that made specific parts of a bell.
    Day 7- Afternoon Tea at the Shakespeare Hotel
    Mmmmhhhmmm tea. I went to the Baramah Tea Museum. What is supposed to be at a Tea Museum. Tea, tea cups, what else? There were different kinds of tea there. not just a few types but a lot. I liked looking at each tea items from around the world. I learned about the History of Tea in England. At the end I got to be in a tea party and eat little finger sandwiches, scones, and drink little cups of tea.
    Day 8- Flower Power
    The Chelsea Phsyic Garden was foundedin 1673 and is set up in different sections. One section is of plants used for pharmaceutical remedies. The plants could treat intestinal and psychological problems. I learned that plants were used for remedies for a long time and cured all most every illness. Doctors used plants such as cinninmon, lavender, oak and more to fix illness. Now that I know that plants helped my ancestors We and I can’t destroy them becuase a lot of the things we have today come from plants.
    Day 9- Tasty Thai
    It’s time to try some interesting thai food. I went to a resturant in Central London called Busaba. I had shrimp, or prawns, curry chicken, pumpkin curry with a cucumber relish, mixed greens, and coconut rice. Sounds good! At thai resturants lemons are usually served with your meal. Typical thai ingredients include fresh herbs, lemon grass, and coconut milk.
    Day 10- Exploring Theatres Past and Present
    Shakespeare’s globe is beautiful. It’s an open-air theatre, which means there is no roof. If you want to sit in a seat it would cost a little more than standing on the floor with the roudy people. I guess standing is cool becuase you get to get right up close to the actors. The globe puts on Shakespeare’s plays and modern plays. The actors don’t use special efects so they have to project and keep the audience interested. At The Old Vic, another theatre, but it was indoors, people would spend all their money to see a show. The shakespeare plays wouldn’t actually be Shakespeare. In the play Romeo and Juliette, thy live happily ever after and don’t die.
    Day 11-

12. Day1. There was not much to learn on the first day it was mostly just them introducing the people that would be in the film and telling people what the film was about. One of the things that I did learn is that a man by the name of Sam Wanamakes (born in 1919 and died in 1993 at a good age of 74) was the man who recreated the globe theater. We learn this in the picture gallery off of a blue sign. The caption below this picture says that these blue signs are found all around London and tell tourists and, or, passersby about a particular building or person. On another note there is one last thing that I learn. In London they do not call the red telephone booths “booths” but they call them boxes.

Day2. Wow! To look at the house that Shakespeare actually grew up and lived in for a short time was so cool! Some of the things that I learned in day 2 is where the saying “sleep tight, don’t let the bed bugs bite,” comes from. “Sleep tight” is actually referring to the ropes under the mattress. When you would lay in your bed the ropes would go taught and stretch, because of this you would have to retighten the ropes by using something called a rope key, which looked like a cross with a hook at the bottom, to tighten the ropes. The part of the saying about the bed bugs is kind of obvious. Another thing that I learned is that William Shakespeare’s dad was a glove maker.

Day3. First of all, I thought that the religious upset happened in the early 1200’s to the late 1400’s; I did not know that it also was part of the Renaissance era. I thought that most of the religious upset was part of the dark ages. Next I thought that it was cool how Shakespeare actually took things that were happening in his time into his plays. Lastly the shear age of the building was amazing and I agree with Jackie when she said that it was weird that the modern section of the church was built way before our country was even thought of!

Day4. 12 hours a day!!! That would have been some crazy learning! I think it was funny when they said that a lot of students have been carving at the desks for a long time. Another thing that I thought was cool is that instead of one grade being in one group they were all in one large classroom and the teacher would go around the classroom teaching each group at a time. Next time I complain about a long school day I will remember what the kids back then had to go through every day for 6 days in a row!

Day5. This was cool. When I picture a farm house of the fifteen hundreds I picture a small shack with not that much furniture. It was a surprise to see how wrong I was. The house was huge! The fact that the house was so nice was a whole other thing. The house was beautiful! The floors were very shiny due to years of wear or they had been polished. All in all this was very cool to see.

Day6. On day six the crew went to the place were the town records were housed. They found some records about the town at that time. They also found some records about Shakespeare and his family. I thought that it was cool that the records from that time are being very well preserved in such a good facility.

Day7. It was strange that the man would have the house destroyed when it could have made him rich by selling tours. He could have part of the house roped off were he lived. I feel that this vigor was a very grumpy man who had a bad temper. The gardens were so cool! I thought that it was awesome that the gardens were so colorful and the different sections were separated by…plants!

Day8. The archives were very cool looking. It was very cool to see documents from the time when Shakespeare was around. When he pulled out the small book I thought it was a journal but it instead was a log of the amount of money that the prisoners got every day. I like the way that they compared the log to the Tale of Two Cities. This also reminded me of our own time capsule that we will be making.

Day9. The tower of London was very scary looking. It reminded me of a building that you would expect to have secret passage ways and catacombs. It was cool that different leaders had added different sections to it. The haunting stories were pretty frightening, especially the one about the bear.

Day10. I would hate to be in that kitchen. That brings a real meaning to the saying “too many chefs in the kitchen.” I can’t imagine eating peacocks, they are so pretty and I would hate for them to still have their feathers in. It was cool to learn why women of that time would do a fancy bow to swirl the cloth in front of their faces to wash out the smell. It was also cool to learn about how they would use lavender to make their clothes smell better.

Day11. The marketplace reminded me of the marketplace in the book Fever. One thing that I wanted to know is if they were yelling like they would at an old market like “Fish! Fish! Get your fish cheap,” or, “Hot soft bread, get it here!” I would like to go to this marketplace and see all the different foods and people.

Day12. Falconry sounds like so much fun! As soon as I watched the videos after I read the story I was amazed that the bird did not just grab the fake pray but instead it broke its neck first. I was lucky enough to have a falcon sit on my arm at a Renaissance festival.

Day13. Loads of books! I would die to get my hands on some of those books to read. Seeing all the books made me think of how long it took for them to print every page on a press. One thing is for sure, and that is that I would not like to work in a press shop.

Day14. The prison sounded awful! One of the things that I thought was the worst is the seat. Having your neck stretched up must have been very painful. The bribing I thought was horrible. People should all be treated the same way in the prisons.

Day15. I got to ride on a subway in D.C. and it is a lot of fun. In D.C. there were two different levels in the station, the top and bottom levels. It was cool how the train would make the noise when it entered the station. Lastly I found the ticket machines very cool.

Die dulci fruere (Latin for have a good day)

13. Day 11- For the Birds
    I had to do Falconry today. I have no idea what that is. There were birds everywhere. Falconry appears in some Sheakspeare’s plays. Falconry is an ancient tradition that’s been going on in Europe for about 2000 years. Falconry is basically teaching a bird to hunt for food.
    Day 12- A new religion
    I went to the Holy Trinity Church in Stratford. Talk about a big church. There were beautiful stained glass windows. Changes in religion affected many lives. About 250,000 people come to the church a year from around the world. They could come to get married, have funerals, pretty much anything. The Holy Trinity Church is the most visited parished church in England.
    Day 13- The Scottish Play
    There are many superstitions to teh play “Macbeth” and many say that the word brings bad luck. It’s filled with evil and tragedy so forth the name The Scottish Play. Macbeth was written in blank verse which is supposed to sound like everyday speech. But as you know people in that time talked differently than now.
    Day 14- Turkish Delight
    Since I got a little hungry I decided to try a Turkish resturant called Tas Pide. It’s located across from Sheakspeare’s globe. The kitchen is made so customers can see the food beign cooked so it’s like watching a cooking show. A tradition is to star the meal with soup.
    Day 15- The Dream
    A great Shakespeare comedy is A Midsummer Nights Dream, that I got to learn about. I mostly learned about Puck a mischevious fairy, that is funny but evil. I got to get a sample of lines in teh play that Puck says. It was very cool and funny. London is a great place. It’s beautiful, and full of excitement.

14. My trip to London was incredible. There were a bunch of things that we can see are related to Shakespeare.
    On the first day I visited the King Edward VI School where Shakespeare might have attended. I found out that boys spent up to twelve hours learning in Latin. And girls didn’t attend school. I found it harsh that the boys were whacked with a switch when they spoke out of turn.
    On the second day I talked to a nice woman who informed me of the kitchens in Shakespeare’s time and what they ate. I learned that kitchens were crowded, dark, and made of stone. There could be dozens of people in the kitchen at the same time. They probably were beginning to be very squished. I also learned that for big banquets they served some very exotic meals such as Peacock.
    The next day I visited a local jail to find more about what it was like to be in jail in that time. The man who was there told me that if you were a rich person in jail, you could bribe the jailers to bring better food and bedding. If you were not rich or middle class you would catch rats in a trap to eat.
    On the fourth day I had tea with a woman who spoke of the need of tea in Shakespeare’s time. The English Navy built really fast ships to bring tea to serve the thirsty people in time. She also taught me the order of pouring the contents of the teacup. You always pour the milk first for flavor and so you don’t stain the cups.
    The day after that I visited a three hundred and thirty-three year old garden. The contents of the garden used to be used as medicines for patients. Apothecaries would use common things such as lavender and cinnamon to cure what the patients needed.
    My sixth day in London I ventured to where documents of that time were preserved. The documents must be very special because they were put in temperature-controlled rooms. The vaults looked like green safes that hold money!
    On the seventh day a man who studied Anne Hathaway’s farmhouse joined me. We chatted in Anne’s parents’ room about Anne and Shakespeare. They were married in 1582. There is a chance that a certain bench in the room was sat upon by them both and was where she inspired Shakespeare.
    The next day I studied the Tower of London. I learned that it is not just one tower. It’s many towers. The towers are one thousand years old. And people actually live there today. They are the Yeoman Warders.
    My ninth day in London, I went to a bell foundry. They have been in business since 1570. At that location is where they made Big Ben. Big Ben is thirteen and a half tons!
    The tenth day I found a cheese store that could know about Shakespeare. I walked in and talked to one of the workers there. He said that cheese has been in England for one thousand years, even longer if it was not recorded. An interesting fact is that there is cheese made of sheep milk!
    The day after that, I looked down at London from the British Airways London Eye. It is four hundred and forty-three feet above the ground. You can see twenty-five miles on a clear day.
    On the twelfth day I went underground to the first underground train in the world. It is the best way to get around London.
    On the eleventh day I walked over to an open area where people train falcons to hunt. It’s called falconry. I found out that 4200 years ago, falcons were given to Chinese emperors as a gift. But falconry has been in Europe for 2000 years.
    The next day I visited Holy Trinity Church. It is the most visited parish church in England. It was built in 700 or 800 ad. There are records that show that Shakespeare was baptized there.
    My last day in London I looked at Shakespeare’s past records. The building was formed in 1847. You can tell from his documents that Shakespeare had bought a large piece of land and he owned the second largest house.
    My trip to London was educational and fun. I would love to go again!