“A Poem Begins In Delight And Ends In Wisdom.” Robert Frost

Robert Frost, a great American poet, wrote the poem “Nothing Gold Can Stay” which Ponyboy recites in The Outsiders. Be prepared to talk about this wonderful poem this week in class, and what it means in regards to this story. I want you to have some background knowledge of Robert Frost, and I also want you to read two other famous poems of his, which some of you might already be familiar with. Please visit the following link to learn more about Robert Frost’s biography. On the right hand side menu bar, I want you to read “Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening” and “The Road Not Taken,” which has an audio bar where you can listen to Frost himself recite his poem. When you have finished, I would like you to answer the following questions:

Which poem do you like better and why? What does the poem mean to you, (what is it saying?) and what is it about the poem that you like so much? How does it make you feel? Remember, poetry is written to invoke a certain feeling in the reader. What words or phrases add to this feeling?

Robert Frost

1. I liiked the “Woods on a Snowy Evening”. I liked it better because it flowed more and I understood it better. I also thought that “The Road Not Taken” was choppy and did not sound right to me. Another thing is that I could not understand what Robert Frost was saying. The “Woods on a Snowy Evening” was a kind of sad and calm feel and the “Road not Taken” has just kind of a calm and relaxed feel.

2. This is a very interesting blog topic. I really like the poem “Stopping by woods on a snowy evening.” I liked it because it had to do with snow and I love the snow. It talked about how he liked to stop by and watch the woods with his horse. I liked the lines “my little horse must think it queer,” “The woods are lovely, dark, and deep.” and “And miles to go before I sleep,” Those are my favorite because they are the ones that stand out to me the most. The poem is a very relaxing poem to either listen to or read. I like it a lot.

3. My favorite poem was “The Road Not Taken” because I thought that the meaning could be something that actually happens in peoples life. I think it means that he choose one way over the other that most people don’t, like it said in the poem. It’s a little like peer pressure. Some people may try to make you go down the wrong path and it might lead to trouble, and you have to choose the one that you think is right and many people might not choose the right road. In this poem he probably didn’t know which road was good and which one was bad. The way this poem is it probably makes me feel calm and sad and a little sleepy. I feel scared when I hear Robert Frost read it out loud. When it says sigh and lay I think of resting or calming down. Plus, Robert Frost’s voice makes me scared because it’s loud and scratchy and sounds scary.

4. Robert Frost was born March 26, 1874 in San Francisco, California. Unfortunately, he died January 29, 1963 in Boston, Massachusetts. He has written some of the greatest poems of all time. Some of them were “Nothing Gold Can Stay” and “Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening” and “The Road Not Taken”. Over all I preferred “The Road Not Taken”. I like this poem because it just has a feel to it when I read it. I know that is hard to understand but when you read that poem you have a feeling that your in the woods choosing between both paths. To me this poem make you sort of shiver because it says he went down the path that less people take and less people could take that path because bad things happen down that path. Which also could mean how you make the right and wrong choices in life. I think this poem means that there is two are two paths you can take in life, either the good/right path or the bad/wrong path. And when Robert Frost said he went down the path less people take I think he went down the bad path because I think more people make good decisions in life. This poem sort of made me feel like things are creepy in life if not scared. I made me feel scared because sometimes in life you have to make decisions and a lot of time people are going to make the wrong decisions. The phrase that really spoke to me was the second to last one were it says “I took the one less traveled by” because it just show that people can make the wrong decision and sometimes that can affect a lot more people then just them selves.

5. The poem I liked was “Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening.” This poem says to me that there is a person on his horse making his way to a village through snow in the forest. It says that the person on the horse isn’t stopping to sleep until he reaches a certain destination a few miles away. The reason why I like this poem is that I can picture the whole poem in my mind and understand it. This poem made me feel very calm because there is really nothing to worry about if you were the person on the horse.

6. We read the poems “Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening” and “The Road Not Taken”. I liked the poem “The Road Not Taken” more. It was about taking the “road” that less people had taken before. It means that you should make the decision that less people had made. It means to be the minority sometimes instead of always going with the majority. It also means to be an upstander instead of a bystander. The poem felt insparational to me because it was saying to do something different and go against the majority. Robert Frost was a great poet that wrote amazing pieces.

7. My favorite poem was “Stopping by the woods on a snowy evening.” I thought that poem was beautiful especially how the words were said. I like how it explains the different scenes of the poem. All the phrases that he wrote I could see in the back of my mind ,while reading. It’s amazing how things work like that. The poem actually made me think of winter and I actually started to shiver. The poem triggers my brain to a sad mood. Whoever this person is he has to go many miles before he can go to sleep and its winter. I picture and old man or women walking down the side of the street. This man/women is in the middle of now where and all she is thinking is ” When will I be home?” I don’t know why I think that ,but that’s how it strikes me as sad. The phrase that set this mood for myself was the last line. I think “It’s winter, so its cold. There in the woods and walking in the cold weather many miles to go. “And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep.” That is the line that strikes my mood.

8. My favorite poem was Stopping by woods on a snowy evening. I like that one better than the other because it really tells the story to me. The poem makes me feel adventorous because in the poem they are talking about being in the woods. One of the lines that really add to the feeling of the poem is, the woods are lovely, dark and deep. It makes me feel contempt and warm.

9. I enjoyed “The road Not Taken” the most. I like this poem more because it makes me think of when you have to make the right decision by chosing a different path or the other one that your friends are choosing. This poem is like real life because it is like pure presure because you want to act cool and go with your friends, but it might be something that could get you in a lot of trouble. I like this poem because sometimes you have to take the least common road. “The road Not Taken” makes me feel uncertain. I feel this because I am not sure if I should go with my friends or go tyhe safe way.

10. I thought that the website with the Robert Frost poems was actually pretty cool. Of the two poems that I read I liked “The Road Not Taken” the most. I think that the main reason that I liked it was because it sounds a lot like the song by Frank Sinatra called “I Did It My Way”. I know that the lyrics are different but the section that says “and I — I took the one less traveled by and that has made all the difference” remindes me of the section in the song that says “more much more than this, I did it my way”. The poem makes me feel very good inside. I think it shows that you have choices to make in your life, important choices that can determine the way that you live it, but it doesn’t which way you choose to go, it only matters that you choose the way that you want to. When I say this I am talking about the poem not the song, although it could relate to both.

11. Well of the two the poem I liked the best was “The Road Not Taken” because it spoke to me more then the other. The poem is about going your own way, you don’t always have to be like everyone else or go with the flow. Like taking the road less traveled, perfect example. It is saying how it was a beautiful path and sometimes a harder terrain, but it was better he go the way thought best then the way most people go. The poem makes me feel, well, inspired in a way and I can relate. It also makes me feel calm and thoughtful. The poem is beautiful, I imagine it’s fall because of the context and I can imagine there would be quit a difference in appearance. The phrases that really speak to me and the words that give the message or definition of the poem; Two roads diverged in a wood, and I– I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

12. I like both poems a lot, but I would have to say that “The Road Not Taken” is the better of the two. I have to say that “The Road Not Taken” is better because for me it conveys a better message to the reader. To me, the message of “The Road Not Taken” is that the more common decision is not always the better one. I like how uses the paths as a symbol. To me, this poem means a lot to me. I had known of this poem before we were assigned this blog, so it was already one of my favorites. When I read this poem, I found it really inspiring. It makes you wonder what at the end of the less taken path, because in some cases you don’t know and that doubt makes you want to choose the safer path where you know where it heads. When I read this poem, it makes me wonder how many times I’ve taken the more common road and what the other one might lead to. I like the phrase “And sorry I could not travel both” a lot. If you looked back on your life and counted how many times you would like to do two things, but you only could do one, you would end up with a gigantic number. Now imagine your life if you did both. To me, this poem is one of the best I have ever read.

13. Out of the two poems written by the great poet Robert Frost, I preferred The Road Not Taken over Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening. Both poems were very good, but I thought The Road Not Taken seemed to have a little more meaning to me. I liked the poem because it really spoke to me and taught me a lesson that everyone learns eventually. It had very nice wording and it was very detailed. I liked how the message he was trying to get across he didn’t even mention in the poem at all. He didn’t come right out and say, “Follow your heart and make good decisions even if others aren’t,” he made it more of a lesson you are supposed to figure out. I think a poem that makes you stop and think and read it over again is a great poem. It makes me really focused on the poem and picture it in my mind. I put it in deep thought and tried to reason out what I would have done in that situation. I would probably have done what he did, even though he doesn’t say if the difference that was from the path he took compared to the other was good or bad. That also intrigued me. I wondered for a while whether he meant it was a good difference or a bad one. This is from the last two lines that read, “I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.” This poem definitely did invoke a feeling in me that isn’t exactly good or bad. It’s hard to pinpoint, really. The poem showed me that Robert Frost was a poet who had a real incite and understanding of society. But he had a realistic perspective, not an imaginary one that no one could relate to. I really thought this poem spoke to me and painted a picture.

14. My favorite poem was “The Road Not Taken”. Within the poem was so much depth. It really reminded me off a past experience and that is why it stuck out. While reading it, I was reminded of advice a friend once gave me “People follow the path that is most traveled, yet some choose the path less traveled, but the best is to step out of those paths and create your own”.
    The poem is telling me that in life there are choices and most people will follow the easiest way out, or in other words the most traveled path, but it is not always the best path and sometimes it is best to take the less traveled path, or the harder one.
    I really liked that the poem made me ponder, it gave me this deep feeling that really made me stop and think about my life’s choices.
    “I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I–
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference. “
    To me that tells that when he is old and sharing his life story he wonders if he made the right choice, and since he made the choice of taking the less traveled path, then it has made a strong impact. Therefore it wouldn’t be the same if he took the other path.

15. The poem “The Road Not Taken” is unique and very different from other poems in many different ways. It speaks to me in a way that no other poem has up until now. It speaks of two roads that a man has a choice to take and pick between. But in the end he ends up taking the road that is less used than the other road. That showed me the state of independence and sticking up for yourself and making your own decisions in your life. The popular road may not always be right, but then again someone who was a follower would take that road. In this poem, the man takes the road that is not taken often, therefore, he is not a follower. He is a leader who puts his indepence and his fist down. He does not follow others and listen to them, he makes the rules and call his own shots. This poem makes me feel proud in a way because it is about standing up out of the crowd. It shows the determination of the American, the words, the heroics, and the actions of the everyday american. This poem makes me feel proud to be an American, to know that I have freedom of speech and I can control my own life.

16. The poem I liked the most was “The Road Not Taken.” In my eyes, it is about being yourself and not following the path that is usually taken. It makes me feel rebellious, but in a good way. The last sentence in the poem really creates this feeling. “I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.” This poem just makes me feel good inside, unlike the depressing works of Poe.

17. I liked Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening better because I loved the way Frost wrote it.

“Whose woods these are I think I know.
    His house is in the village though;
    He will not see me stopping here
    To watch his woods fill up with snow.”

Lines one, two, and three all rhyme, but line three could be whatever he wanted it to be. I never knew a poem could be written that way, and I admire that he chose this style because it works perfectly with the poem. I did really like The Road Not Taken, though. It kind of reminded me of a limerick.

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening meant to me that maybe the narrator had lost someone very close and dear to him, and “stopping by woods” might mean that he was revisiting his past. Other than that, I’m not really sure what else it could mean. It didn’t really make me feel happy or sad, but more like calm and relaxed.

18. Out of the two poems I liked “Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening” the best. The poem flows and easily paints a picture in my head. I think the poem is about a man traveling to house but, he stops in the forest to enjoy the beauty and calmness of the forest at winter. He leaves soon though, knowing he has some time before he reaches the village. That poem makes me feel calm and relaxed. The whole idea of stopping in a forest in the middle of winter seems quite peaceful to me.

19. I read the poems “Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening” and “The Road Not Taken.” To me the “The Road Not Taken” spoke to me more. After reading “Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening”
    I thought to my self what was that really all about. When I read “The Road Not Taken” it made sense because I could relate to the poem.
    And now translation to kid language, He could’ve gone two ways, where everyone else was going to go on the road that less people took and that led him to great things in life. I can relate to that because in my life I most of the time do not have time to be a normal kid, someone that just has fun with friends and someone that gets to do what they want to do because of my demanding schedule so I kind of took the road that less people took.

20. My favorite poem was the Road Not Taken. This was my favorite poem because I relate to. I think that the poem signifies how one little thing can change someone’s life. In the poem the lines that single this point out is “and that made all the difference in the world.” This line signals that just by taking the road less traveled that his life was completely changed. I think that this can be related to trying something new and not being afraid of the outcome.

21. “Stopping by the woods” is a favorite of mine because when you study Frost you learn that he liked to write poetry with double meanings, saying one thing but meaning at least one thing more. When reading “Stopping by the woods” you get a sense of the double meaning. The double meaning is that the poet is marveling at death for a second (the woods being death). He stops and his horse is uneasy but the setting is quiet and calm. In this poem Frost explores the beauty of death. Go back and read the poem and you can really pick up the double meaning.